Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, what do you have to lose? If it falls off you'll have to replace it anyways. I think it should hold though.

Got my fast blinking driver's side turn signal under control last night. It's a common problem where the wiring harness gets pinched which changes the resistance enough that it acts like a bulb is out.

I was able to contort my arm up through the bumper vent and past the washer bottle to reach it. A few tugs and it was free from being pinched by the body and the signal started working normally again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

FogHelmut posted:

My side skirt looked a little loose, one of the mounting points seems to have broken. I don't want to buy a whole new side skirt. Can I epoxy this or something?

I had some real good results with a 30 minute set epoxy on a door panel i just repaired, you'll just have to set some weight or something on it to let it set. Afterwards it was rock solid. Super glue brand delayed set.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Worse case you could stick a riv-nut in the chassis where the plastic tab goes and bolt it on.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If you can get a hold of some locktite 495, it's a fantastic glue to join plastics and all manner of other stuff. I've used it before to repair mounting tabs on various things and it's incredibly strong bond.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I tacked it in place with superglue and epoxied all over it. We will see.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Why the hell does my right leg hurt so drat much after driving this thing. Holy crap my knees and calf feel like they have atrophied.

This is rhe only car that it has happened to me.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

My 2018 Impreza Base headlights are not as bright as I want them to be. Any bulb recommendations? I thought these might be a good option.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...sset/3924/8559/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mill Village posted:

My 2018 Impreza Base headlights are not as bright as I want them to be. Any bulb recommendations? I thought these might be a good option.

I wouldn't. If it's H11 stock bulbs, get the H9's. Look up H11 to H9 conversion.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Mill Village posted:

lmao look at the comparison photos near the bottom of the page. the beam pattern is completely hosed up. only install those lights if you want everyone else on the road to want to beat your face in and smash your headlights. gently caress those bulbs and every shitbird that uses them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not all drop in LEDs are made the same, while I do believe HID's in regular housings are atrocious, I'm not convinced all drop in LED ones are.

There is additional scattered fill light and it will appear a little brighter for oncoming but the beam pattern is consistent and I don't believe the additional fill lighting would be intense enough to cause glare. It's not like the example you showed where the beam pattern is changed and is throwing intense light into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Positioning of the LED chips is really critical, and well not every available product does it right. Short of a proper LED or HID projector retrofit, the drop in LED's that approximate a filament are probably your best bet. The "brighter" halogen bulbs are mostly scammy or incredibly short lived for not much extra output.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

White/blue light is atrocious.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

There's that too, factory white HID lights are typically in the 4300-4500k range, LED replacements are going to be 5000k if you're lucky but usually closer to 6500k+. Designing high power LEDs for different colour temperatures is non trivial so there's not that much currently available for the warmer white colour temperatures.

While automotive bulbs typically won't have a CRI rating the colour temperate can give you an indication, in general the higher temps will be worst than the lower temps. Contrast will be worst with the more blueish and limited spectrum light making it harder to make out objects on the road. Anecdotally the blueish light will also be more strenuous on the eyes making long night drives in total darkness more challenging. 6000k is about where I'd put the cutoff for lights becoming too blue in appearance.

Luxury vehicles have come with higher colour temperate lamps once they began equipping them with HIDs which seems to have driven the aftermarket which cranked it to 11 and now you can get incredibly high colour temperature bulbs, in the 11k+ range which are getting into the blue/purple range. Needless to say those options are terrible for visibility.

E: chart found through a Google search showing some comparison between different colour temperatures

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 26, 2018

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Both fog lights went out on the Saabaru at the same time. The indicator light on the fog light switch no longer illuminates when depressed. What do I need to do?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Considering both are out at the same time as well as the indicator, I'd check fuse then the fog light relay.

This is for the Baja but I suspect the saabaru is similar.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Has anyone here tried out the Motive Power Pressure Brake Bleeder? If so, did you use the 0107 system? I believe that's the one that should work for Subaru's.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yup, I used the 107 on my WRX without issue.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Yup, I used the 107 on my WRX without issue.

How did you like the power bleeder? I've been using speed bleeders up until now and want an easier life.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Pressure breeders are the cats pajamas. I'll never go back to anything else.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

How did you like the power bleeder? I've been using speed bleeders up until now and want an easier life.

It was uneventful and smooth. I used to do two person bleed jobs. I didn't use it with fluid in it, but rather topped off the reservoir, attached the bleeder and bled one corner at a time, adding fluid between each bleed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

stgdz posted:

Why the hell does my right leg hurt so drat much after driving this thing. Holy crap my knees and calf feel like they have atrophied.

This is rhe only car that it has happened to me.

This happened to me with my Fiat 500 Abarth. It got to the point where I had to get rid of the car.

Try to adjust your seat as best you can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any red flags to look for on a 2012 forester with 50k?

Mom is car hunting and she's too far away for me to go help, so it'd have to be stuff a car idiot could spot.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

local subaru dealer quoted me $1300 to replace the fuel pump on a 98 outback. also it will take a week to ship the $500 OEM pump from canada. I know dealers like to overcharge but holy moly, what a bunch of shitbags. thank god for the independent subaru shops. anyone else gotten an estimate that ridiculous before?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the gasket jobs on those are hilarious. When my ex's went she got quotes for funsies and she was getting $2400 back from Indy shops. I think Subaru wanted well over $4000. I managed to get it done for about a thousand including machining the heads and replacing all the seals and belts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I pretty much blame subaru dealerships for putting me where I am now. What? that's ridiculous, I bet I can figure out how to do this myself...

And oh I see what they were trying to do:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/...Wg0LWdhcw%3D%3D

"fuel pump assembly" is the whole hanger, level sender, filter sock, wiring, etc, and does cost $500.

You can just replace the pump itself for like $50, but for some reason SGP doesn't list a pump by itself. I assume a subaru parts dept could come up one though.

Also it takes like 45min tops.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 31, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My dad was taking his BMW to the dealer and I'm pretty sure they fleeced him for tons of money. I was really upset when I saw the receipts.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh if we're leaving Subaru, dealership wanted a mere $400 for a throttle body for my Miata. I ended up buying a used one for $50 to my front door.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Sorry for the spam, but if anyone was thinking about fresh struts for their 02-07 wrx, stock is getting pretty low on the clearance tokico d-specs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So what you are saying is pretty soon will be the prime time for me to sell the ones I bought for my '02 and never got installed?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

jamal posted:

I pretty much blame subaru dealerships for putting me where I am now. What? that's ridiculous, I bet I can figure out how to do this myself...

And oh I see what they were trying to do:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/...Wg0LWdhcw%3D%3D

"fuel pump assembly" is the whole hanger, level sender, filter sock, wiring, etc, and does cost $500.

You can just replace the pump itself for like $50, but for some reason SGP doesn't list a pump by itself. I assume a subaru parts dept could come up one though.

Also it takes like 45min tops.

Yup that’s exactly it. They told me they couldn’t just do the pump itself but the whole assembly. It also would take them four days to get it from Ontario for some god forsaken reason too. It still doesn’t explain the $800 in labor for something that should take them an hour or two, max. Local Indy shop did it for $300 and I had my car back the same day. Love those guys. Remember to hug your local independent mechanic (and bring them beer).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:toot: only took me 3.5 years

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Will a coolant system pressure test show a head gasket issue?

My '07 WRX has a slow coolant leak (an inch in the reservoir over the course of a month or so), and my local shop pressure tested it and it holds fine. They also couldn't see coolant running anywhere. Could a minor head gasket leak allow coolant to leak, but fool a pressure test?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Possibly.

Coolant lines to the turbo are also something that can leak very slightly and then it just burns right off so you don't see an actual leak. Go out and drive and get the car fairly hot and then see of you smell burning coolant near the turbo.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

jamal posted:

Possibly.

Coolant lines to the turbo are also something that can leak very slightly and then it just burns right off so you don't see an actual leak. Go out and drive and get the car fairly hot and then see of you smell burning coolant near the turbo.
Will do, thanks. I've already replaced one of those lines, wouldn't surprise me if it was another of them.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

um excuse me posted:

It was uneventful and smooth. I used to do two person bleed jobs. I didn't use it with fluid in it, but rather topped off the reservoir, attached the bleeder and bled one corner at a time, adding fluid between each bleed.

What pressure do you leave it at when you use your bleeder?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC I think I was between 10-15 usually.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
So since we are on the subject of leaks.

How do i inspect for vacuum leaks?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm getting an intermittent TPMS error on my '15 STI. I'm assuming it's a failure on one of the modules but I can drive for an hour without having any issue and other times I start the car and the error immediately pops. Any ideas?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

I'm getting an intermittent TPMS error on my '15 STI. I'm assuming it's a failure on one of the modules but I can drive for an hour without having any issue and other times I start the car and the error immediately pops. Any ideas?

I suggest checking your tire pressure first, then replace the sensors if the tire pressure is good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

Is it blinking then holding? It's likely one of the sensors itself. They of course are expensive to replace and have to be coded to your car by a dealer or someone with the tool to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Is it blinking then holding? It's likely one of the sensors itself. They of course are expensive to replace and have to be coded to your car by a dealer or someone with the tool to do it.

Exactly this and the error that pops up isn’t “Check Tire Pressure” it’s just “TPMS Check Owners Manual”

I put air in my tires last week, it’s not a tire pressure issue.

I’ll probably just deal with the light being on, I’ve done it for years with winter wheels.