Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IKillForPie posted:

I just want to add to the truth of this statement. Often the best way to add color into a room is through accessories (think about purchasing like a magenta rug or something, maybe a blue accent lamp etc...) rather than doing something like painting a whole room which you might find you don't like as much 1 or 2 years down the road.

Paint is a lot more difficult to change than a rug and there is always the chance that if you need to move or sell your place for some reason, what you might consider really cool, someone else might consider very tacky and could harm your chances of resale.

Get An Art in a color you like. When you no longer like the color, get An Different Art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nosre posted:

went to Delft last weekend, where Royal Delft/De Koninklijke Porceleyne Fles has been doing the famous blue-painted ceramic/pottery for centuries

anyway, apparently business was rough in the early part of the 1900s, and for a few decades they mostly did architectural ceramic. Took some pictures because I thought it was cool as hell; the stuff is striking and, being ceramic, shows absolutely no wear. Of course, if something gets smashed, getting replacements would be near impossible...

Beautiful little town, too, with a great antiques market on Saturdays.

PS this owns hard and makes me want to visit a Turkish bathhouse

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for (because you're presumably something more accessible) but Christopher Alexander has a long series of very heady books on the subject. He's most well known for the Design Patterns book which was aped by software folk who clearly didn't read all the other ones first.

That said, the entirety of the design patterns book is basically a dictionary of "you should put X here because Y".

I assume you mean A Pattern Language here?

I can handle more technical stuff so long as it doesn't assume that I'm familiar with existing jargon and techniques. Like, a 101-level course is about what I'm looking for.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

peanut posted:

PS this owns hard and makes me want to visit a Turkish bathhouse

Glad you liked it. I'd totally try to pull some off if I was a billionaire

They used to straight up use the blue tiles for everything, which makes those muted colors of the 1900s stuff look reserved in comparison

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume you mean A Pattern Language here?

I can handle more technical stuff so long as it doesn't assume that I'm familiar with existing jargon and techniques. Like, a 101-level course is about what I'm looking for.

Er, yeah, sorry all my books are in boxes so I've not seen the spine in a while.

When I said "more accessible" that was perhaps the wrong word, because it suggests that I have some greater level of education in architecture than you.

Perhaps a better word would be "practical" or "pragmatic", because as much as the ethos of his stuff is "anybody should be able to do this and here's how", it's really a 15 book philosophical discourse on the nature of humanity in living spaces, plus a handy reference guide.

So while it assumes no jargon and talks in very simple terms, the ideas put forth are either incredibly profound or utterly useless, depending on your outlook. You can still read the reference book (which is "A Pattern Language") to cut to the quick, but it's not like the sort of practical primer that I think you're after (and that I wouldn't mind reading myself if you find one).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I'm not planning on making a purchase any time soon (this was for a Christmas gift suggestion list), but if/when I start reading stuff, if I think it's worthy of the thread's attention I'll post a review.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nosre posted:

Glad you liked it. I'd totally try to pull some off if I was a billionaire

They used to straight up use the blue tiles for everything, which makes those muted colors of the 1900s stuff look reserved in comparison

oh god

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It looks like the soda box sculptures they build in grocery stores

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Turqoise got its name from the french going to turkey and being really REALLY impressed with all the blue tiles like the ones above. Like its the word for Turkish in French (I'm assuming the s is silent and us dumb english speakers are too unsophisticated). Rich Europeans did that a lot, they'd encounter a new culture with some thing and copy the poo poo out of it, and all the rich dudes in the other european nations just have to have it too. Check out the blue mosque in Turkey, its cool.

Back with some more r/malelivingspace gems:

loft-cave

help meee i need advice

MUST HAVE AN EAMES CHAIR MUST HAVE MANY PLANTS

Special non retarded mention, this is a real good dorm imo:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

underage at the vape shop posted:

Turqoise got its name from the french going to turkey and being really REALLY impressed with all the blue tiles like the ones above. Like its the word for Turkish in French (I'm assuming the s is silent and us dumb english speakers are too unsophisticated).

Turquoise is feminine, so the ‘s’ would be pronounced. Turquois would be the masculine and the the ‘s’ would be silent then.

ahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahaha

help meee i need advice

ohohohohohohohohoho

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

This one looks okay? I mean, it's cluttered, and the computer desk is a bit out of place, but otherwise it's basically coherent.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, they need to get one of those chairs out of there, but otherwise it's pretty nice imo.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

This one looks okay? I mean, it's cluttered, and the computer desk is a bit out of place, but otherwise it's basically coherent.

Maybe the funny part is just the must-have Eames chair which doesn't fit the space at all, contributing a significant amount to the overall crowdedness.

In other news, do I want to buy this light?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I'm not planning on making a purchase any time soon (this was for a Christmas gift suggestion list), but if/when I start reading stuff, if I think it's worthy of the thread's attention I'll post a review.

I don't know if you can find a reprint, but here's basically the bible used to build post-war america (fed guide to eligibility req's for GI loans)

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015037428375;view=1up;seq=1

Modern tract housing all traces its lineage to it.

edit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HIWYWY?ie=UTF8&tag=makiofamer-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003HIWYWY

one copy, prime eligible, $10

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

there wolf posted:

I like it a lot - it strikes me as very Beaux Arts.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The pillows on the back of the couch because they found out low sofas aren’t that comfortable are kinda funny.

Still far from. The worst room I’ve seen on that subreddit, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The Eames is fake, which makes me guess the Noguchi probably is as well.

There's too many pillows on the chair, the Eames just does not fit that space unless you pull out both the orange chair and the dresser next to it and corner it, the fur rug is too large for the space, the Noguchi could be fine there if the space was proportioned better. The problem is that individual elements aren't that bad, its just there's too loving many of them crammed together. There's no walkway between anything but the couch and the Noguchi, the couch is too large for the space anyway (should be a loveseat).

Toss the orange chair, toss the dresser thing in the corner, put the desk in front of the window, corner the Eames where the desk was, get a circular rug with half the diameter under the Noguchi. Get rid of the dangling plants and the dangling blanket, there's too much erectile disfunction in the photo already. I'd also get rid of the couch and put something from slim in there, like a loveseat. This could also be a studio so the couch doubles as the bed. In that case, still get rid of the pillows and poo poo, and pull it along the wall towards the camera so it isn't pinning the desk.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Also, this one isn't that bad. At least its coherent and not crowded with poo poo. Decorating with shoes that never get worn isn't any weirder than the hardon this thread has for people displaying shelves full of books that will never be read.

Though the 'power' picture on the TV that's mounted way too high looks like someone trying really hard to portray themselves a certain way.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the supreme one is atleast coherent yeah and the dude is a streetwear/shoe freelance photographer but god drat does it tick all the hypebest boxes, even down to the figurines. the POWER is the perfect finishing touch

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Though the 'power' picture on the TV that's mounted way too high looks like someone trying really hard to portray themselves a certain way.

It's a TV show, but yeah.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
He has the cheapest furniture possible- aside from what is probably a knockoff Eames molded chair- because all of his money is tied up in Supreme bullshit and the frame on the TV is maybe a step below having a shot from Scarface or Entourage up. I am second-hand embarrassed for this dude, which is to say that I’m first-hand embarrassed because he clearly isn’t capable of shame. The attempt at a “modern, clean, sleek” aesthetic is stymied by the world’s most generic big-box storage and media furniture, whose “equally at home in contemporary or traditional” design (complete with square wicker baskets) is made all the more obvious and glaring by all of the trendwhore hypebeast nonsense. You would think a photographer would have a much more developed sense of style.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Electric Bugaloo posted:

He has the cheapest furniture possible- aside from what is probably a knockoff Eames molded chair- because all of his money is tied up in Supreme bullshit and the frame on the TV is maybe a step below having a shot from Scarface or Entourage up. I am second-hand embarrassed for this dude, which is to say that I’m first-hand embarrassed because he clearly isn’t capable of shame. The attempt at a “modern, clean, sleek” aesthetic is stymied by the world’s most generic big-box storage and media furniture, whose “equally at home in contemporary or traditional” design (complete with square wicker baskets) is made all the more obvious and glaring by all of the trendwhore hypebeast nonsense. You would think a photographer would have a much more developed sense of style.

This is why I posted it, articulated much better than I could have.

I have no idea what his work is like, he just mentioned that he's a shoe photographer in the title to premeptively justify his massive shoe collection. He also said he gets a lot of haters. If its just product photography, that isn't really art photography. It's definitely a practiced skill, don't get me wrong, but it's not like he's artsy. He's also incredidly vapid and shallow if he buys into that supreme poo poo and decorates his home with it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

PRADA SLUT posted:

the Eames just does not fit that space

Love to sit in my Eames and look at..my empty fishtank

Also lol at how all these "male living spaces" can't give up their ERGONOMIC TACTICAL GAMING RIGS. Can't have anything less than full 100% optimal comfort because I am going to spend 99% of my waking hours at my computer desk.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

Interior Design Thread: I almost bought a ball light

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

vonnegutt posted:

Love to sit in my Eames and look at..my empty fishtank

Also lol at how all these "male living spaces" can't give up their ERGONOMIC TACTICAL GAMING RIGS. Can't have anything less than full 100% optimal comfort because I am going to spend 99% of my waking hours at my computer desk.
I'm also not a fan of the most popular female option, where all desktops must be hidden in shame closets

What if the answer...is somewhere in the middle

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 26, 2018

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Would honestly rather live in the hypebeast den that this. Eames/Noguchi has no taste.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm also not a fan of the most popular female option, where all desktops must be hidden in shame closets

What if the answer...is somewhere in the middle

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

gently caress everything, paint all your room in neon gently caress off paint stripes. You're the one going to be living there. If you get tired of it, paint over it all. Plaster the walls with hippie blacklight music posters. Whatever. Walla!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

value-brand cereal posted:

gently caress everything, paint all your room in neon gently caress off paint stripes. You're the one going to be living there. If you get tired of it, paint over it all. Plaster the walls with hippie blacklight music posters. Whatever. Walla!

This tends to be where I land on a lot of stuff, although I'm all for laughing at terrible design in general. Sneaker fetish dude at least seems to keep his room clean which is more than can be said for most guys I knew in young adulthood.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I have no idea what his work is like, he just mentioned that he's a shoe photographer in the title to premeptively justify his massive shoe collection. He also said he gets a lot of haters. If its just product photography, that isn't really art photography. It's definitely a practiced skill, don't get me wrong, but it's not like he's artsy. He's also incredidly vapid and shallow if he buys into that supreme poo poo and decorates his home with it.

Not to unfairly prejudge a guy’s work without seeing it but I don’t know many professional corporate/product photographers with “a lot of haters.” You sure he didn’t mean “Instagram poster” when he said “shoe photographer?” Maybe “lifestyle blogger” or “influencer” rather than “product photographer?”

Like you can totally be a product photographer and have a style with a lot of heavy personal flourish or even polarizing aesthetic, but I still have no clue how you land an army of haters that way. Is his portfolio just pictures of his apartment?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

This. Do whatever makes you happiest. I do like the idea of a golden yellow stripe, but honestly, if you could find some UV-reactive paint and a blacklight, that would be A+.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Honest question, what's the deal with eames chairs and this thread? Until I read the name 1200 times in here I wouldn't have known it. Google says it's a popular design and it looks comfortable to me, but it also doesn't appear to be difficult to imitate. As in, you can't tell it's a knockoff by looking at it and it doesn't appear to have 1200 hidden knobs and features that a knockoff wouldn't get quite right like some of those pricey corporate office chairs.

I get a 'I'm a single white dude that idolizes the idea of 1950's long workday bad father scotch and cigar guy' vibe. Am I wrong and bad?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

bobua posted:

I get a 'I'm a single white dude that idolizes the idea of 1950's long workday bad father scotch and cigar guy' vibe. Am I wrong and bad?

Also, Mid Century Modern fetishizing. i.e. your Grandma's furniture.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not that it's inherently bad, but it's really overused by this point. Like vintage posters can be interesting and good, but Keep Calm and ___ is not anymore, if it ever was.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Instead of taping and then painting, why not go with a peel and stick accent wallpaper? All the effort of getting the tape lines straight, none of the effort of painting. And a lot less work to go back to a blank wall.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

bobua posted:

As in, you can't tell it's a knockoff by looking at it and it doesn't appear to have 1200 hidden knobs and features that a knockoff wouldn't get quite right like some of those pricey corporate office chairs.

You absolutely can. A lot of egregious knockoffs exist. And brandnerds exist for everything. Not that I or most people really give a poo poo.

As others posters said, I think it's become more of a trope because of its ubiquity and overuse. It's an item in a checklist people seem to have made up. You want to post your room on reddit? Better have an eames chair.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bobua posted:

Honest question, what's the deal with eames chairs and this thread? Until I read the name 1200 times in here I wouldn't have known it. Google says it's a popular design and it looks comfortable to me, but it also doesn't appear to be difficult to imitate. As in, you can't tell it's a knockoff by looking at it and it doesn't appear to have 1200 hidden knobs and features that a knockoff wouldn't get quite right like some of those pricey corporate office chairs.

As others have said, it's kind of a checklist thing for a certain king of person, like shiplap is to suburban moms. Prada is the only one who cares if they're fake, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Usually buying fake items signifies a purchase for showing off some theoretical status, rather than an appreciation for the product. Which is extra weird for furniture since really nobody sees it but you or the people you invite over. Just who are you really trying to impress?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Usually buying fake items signifies a purchase for showing off some theoretical status, rather than an appreciation for the product. Which is extra weird for furniture since really nobody sees it but you or the people you invite over. Just who are you really trying to impress?

there wolf posted:

As others have said, it's kind of a checklist thing for a certain king of person, like shiplap is to suburban moms. Prada is the only one who cares if they're fake, though.

No, Prada’s not the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I owned a knockoff Eames lounger when I was a much younger man and while I liked the look of it aesthetically, it was functionally a real piece of poo poo. I certainly want another high end reading lounger for my eventual office, and I really still like the Eames, but we'll see if I go with that specific chair (this time from HM of course) or something else that strikes my eye.