Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've not done it yet, and argonians make me feel feelings, so, hoo boy, not looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

CeeCee posted:

There's a few quests that have gotten to me, but this one was so hosed up and sad I had to quit playing for the day.

Yes, I am an emotional baby.

It's particularly jarring because children essentially don't exist anywhere else in the game world, and then out of the blue, here's a whole dungeon full of dead and half-dead mutant children where you have to hunt down this grieving woman's sons while she accompanies you. And her surviving daughter at the end is characterized as severely/nonverbal autistic, down to her specific body language.

I'm going to be a father in a few months, so it hit me harder than it normally otherwise would have. I probably shouldn't rewatch Eraserhead anytime soon either, haha.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

^

Christ. :gonk:

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
Ara, just head to Bright-Throat Village and get it over with.

You'll thank us later.

Maybe.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Aramek posted:

I've not done it yet, and argonians make me feel feelings, so, hoo boy, not looking forward to that.

(puts on therapist glasses)

It's okay, Ara. It's 2018. We've all got a little furry inside of us. You can admit it here. It's safe now. Furries aren't the enemy anymore.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

YES THEY ARE! AAAAAUUUUUGGGGH! :commissar:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Dear Zenimax,

There's some of us out there, crazy as it sounds, who aren't into the whole "pulled from Hell" look to every piece of furniture you put in the luxury vendor. How about something normal looking? How about like a cool fountain or something?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
http://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-chronicle-of-luxury-furnisher-vendor-items/

Have a look through the list. Most of it is recycled and will be back.

(you would think, given how popular Alinor furnishings have been, they'd start adding some nicer stuff)

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Well, it is Halloween. 'Tis the season to be spoopy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
He's got a point, though. A lot of what they sell year round is daedric torture devices or some culture's funereal tchotchkes.

Or glowing plants/rocks. Lots of those.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I really want those circle sandpit things in the dark elf zones. I could do a lot with those.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Feeling bummed/burnt on WoW, looking to try this out again.

NA Region, Level 10 Ebonheart Pact, Templar.

OP says Templar is defacto healer, which is whatever, as long as it doesn't have the issue a lot of WoW healers have where leveling as a Healer is a huge slog. I'd just roll a new character but I've technically had an ESO account since the 2013 Beta and would hate to lose any Character Specific stuff.

What do I need to do to get into the Goon Guild?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No no, Templar is defacto best at healing. Every class can heal, tank, or DPS very effectively. If anything the classes themselves are more of themes for whatever roles.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Annath posted:

Feeling bummed/burnt on WoW, looking to try this out again.

NA Region, Level 10 Ebonheart Pact, Templar.

OP says Templar is defacto healer, which is whatever, as long as it doesn't have the issue a lot of WoW healers have where leveling as a Healer is a huge slog. I'd just roll a new character but I've technically had an ESO account since the 2013 Beta and would hate to lose any Character Specific stuff.

What do I need to do to get into the Goon Guild?

Just your ESO @account name, and we can send you an invite. Also even if you're planning on building a healer, you can level as a dps and keep a few heal skills on your bar so they level too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

count_von_count posted:

Just your ESO @account name, and we can send you an invite. Also even if you're planning on building a healer, you can level as a dps and keep a few heal skills on your bar so they level too.

I'm assuming this is the "userid" on the ESO web account screen? Then it is "annath".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'd roll another character purely due to the new leveling rewards system giving you a mount at level 10 that's account wide. I don't know if that is retroactive.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
I too have been plugging away at Cadwell's Silver over many months when I'm not playing Fashion Scrolls and Crafting Scrolls and I just finally beat depressing Shadowfen and you guys have me spooked about that quest line in Murkmire that I didn't read the spoilers for :ohdear:

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Tbh I love the Shadowfen quests, but maybe I'm just biased because I'm all about EP.

The EP starting zones (stonefalls, deshaan) chat are almost always active, and remind me of vanilla wow barrens chat - which was hilariously awesome back in 2004-05 when I played wow.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
As a long time DC main from back in console days, my opinion of the EP zones (especially after the slog that was Silver content...i.e. Dominion zones) was WOO WE VR3 NOW, LETS GRIND DREUGH UNTIL WE HIT VR6 AND THEN KILL CATS IN RIFTEN TIL VR14! oh, and also farming the inner sea armature for hours getting sweet dwemer motifs :coolfish:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

OhFunny posted:

I'd roll another character purely due to the new leveling rewards system giving you a mount at level 10 that's account wide. I don't know if that is retroactive.

You don't get any level up rewards retroactively if you already have a high-level character. It's worth leveling several characters to get all the prizes (some at mid levels give you a choice between two or three items).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
For anyone who didn't already know, there are a few level-up rewards that you only get once—just the crown crates and the housing storage, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

For anyone who didn't already know, there are a few level-up rewards that you only get once—just the crown crates and the housing storage, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

You can only get one each of the pets, which made me quite sad. I wanted a house full of identical doggos :(

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Just checking that someone with invite privileges saw my UserID is @annath on the NA server, ebonheart pact.

Do I need to be online at the time a guild invite is sent to accept?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Annath posted:

Just checking that someone with invite privileges saw my UserID is @annath on the NA server, ebonheart pact.

Do I need to be online at the time a guild invite is sent to accept?

I sent an invite to you yesterday, will try again.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Coldforge posted:

I sent an invite to you yesterday, will try again.

Got it, thanks!

Is there a suggested order to do content? I learned MMO's playing Wrath-era WoW, where zones were largely self-contained and restricted by level.

I'm level 10, and right now, the quests I have are:

Glenumbra - Blood and the Crescent Moon

Stonefalls - City Under Siege

Stormhaven - The Missing Prophecy

Holiday Event - Royal Revelry, The Witchmother's Bargain

Main Quest - The Harborage

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Annath posted:

Holiday Event - The Witchmother's Bargain

Start with these three if you're Daggerfall, sub in City Under Siege instead of Blood & CM if you're Pact. The Witchmother's Bargain ends in two days.

Royal Revelry is a March/April holiday event, and probably shouldn't be available right now?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also everything scales so you can just do whatever sounds cool.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Coldforge posted:

Start with these three if you're Daggerfall, sub in City Under Siege instead of Blood & CM if you're Pact. The Witchmother's Bargain ends in two days.

Royal Revelry is a March/April holiday event, and probably shouldn't be available right now?

I'm Pact.

I assume the Revelry thing is left over from the last time I logged in?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Annath posted:

Got it, thanks!

Is there a suggested order to do content? I learned MMO's playing Wrath-era WoW, where zones were largely self-contained and restricted by level.

I'm level 10, and right now, the quests I have are:

Stonefalls - City Under Siege

Stormhaven - The Missing Prophecy

Holiday Event - Royal Revelry, The Witchmother's Bargain

They changed it with the One Tamriel update so that you can do whatever you want whenever you want and it all scales to you but it can be a bit confusing if you're trying to follow specific story threads. The game's still got the original levelling storylines running through the faction zones as well as the DLC stories (which are mostly separate) and the expansions (which follow on from the main quest and each other) but because there aren't any level restrictions any more you kind of get quests barfed at you from everywhere throughout the process.

I think the 'major story' is the main quest and main thread of your faction zones in order (they generally line up so the main quest will direct you to new zones) -> Morrowind main quest -> Clockwork City DLC -> Summerset main quest. Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Murkmire are all largely standalone and are happening alongside the main story so you can do them whenever. There are also side quests everywhere that build on the overarching stuff happening in the zone but don't necessarily change the main stuff.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
You can pretty much do anything in any order, and I recommend just going with whatever strikes your fancy. If you want to follow the storyline in a linear fashion, here's how that works:

1. Main Quest - concurrent with the faction storylines, will eventually lead you to Coldharbor

2. Faction Storylines

Dominion
Khenarthi's Roost
Auridon
Grahtwood
Greenshade
Malabal Tor
Reaper's March

Covenant
Stros M'Kai
Betnikh
Glenumbra
Stormhaven
Rivenspire
Alik'r Desert
Bangkorai

Pact
Bleakrock Isle
Bal Foyen
Stonefalls
Deshaan
Shadowfen
Eastmarch
The Rift

3. Coldharbor (final area of the base game)

DLC regions:

4. Wrothgar
5. Vvardenfell
6. Clockwork City
7. Summerset
8. Murkmire

Thieves' Guild (Hew's Bane), Dark Brotherhood (Gold Coast), Craglorn, and the PVP areas (Cyrodiil, Imperial City) to be done whenever.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Missing Prophecy is the lead in quest for Morrowind.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rollersnake posted:

You can pretty much do anything in any order, and I recommend just going with whatever strikes your fancy. If you want to follow the storyline in a linear fashion, here's how that works:

1. Main Quest - concurrent with the faction storylines, will eventually lead you to Coldharbor

2. Faction Storylines

Dominion
Khenarthi's Roost
Auridon
Grahtwood
Greenshade
Malabal Tor
Reaper's March

Covenant
Stros M'Kai
Betnikh
Glenumbra
Stormhaven
Rivenspire
Alik'r Desert
Bangkorai

Pact
Bleakrock Isle
Bal Foyen
Stonefalls
Deshaan
Shadowfen
Eastmarch
The Rift

3. Coldharbor (final area of the base game)

DLC regions:

4. Wrothgar
5. Vvardenfell
6. Clockwork City
7. Summerset
8. Murkmire

Thieves' Guild (Hew's Bane), Dark Brotherhood (Gold Coast), Craglorn, and the PVP areas (Cyrodiil, Imperial City) to be done whenever.

Cool, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Last question for now: I see you can be a Vampire or Werewolf. What are the requirements, and which is more fun?

E: also I'm assuming faction quests are only available for players of that faction? Is there still stuff to do in other faction zones?

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Annath posted:

Cool, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Last question for now: I see you can be a Vampire or Werewolf. What are the requirements, and which is more fun?

To be a vampire, you must regularly bathe your neck to entice another player to bite you. This can be difficult for some goons.
To be a werewolf, you just have to get another player to bite you anywhere. WWs are pretty filthy and indiscriminate.

Vampire's an always-on thing, in that most of it's effects on you are passives. You can increase/decrease the effects of your vampirism by feeding (or not) to raise or lower your vampiric stage.

Werewolf, by contrast, is a very active thing. It's an ultimate ability (the special ones) that you have to use to become a werewolf, at which point you gain an entirely new action bar with abilities you can unlock as you level.

Basically: Vampire is a thing that enhances (or harms) your character as she is now. Werewolf is a discrete "mode" of play that completely changes things up in a very kinetic way.

All faction quests are available to everyone, regardless of faction (outside of Cyrodiil's). One Tamriel changed all that.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 30, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Easiest way to become a vampire or werewolf is to ask in guild chat if anyone has a bite available. Vampires and werewolves can turn a player once every six days. Vampire is good for magicka builds (and some stamina builds), and werewolf is only good for stamina builds. Vampire isn't particularly fun—it's mostly just useful for its passive abilities. They improved werewolf a lot with the Wolfhunter update, and it was fun even back when it sucked.

Vampire has some drawbacks that are easy to manage—the longer you go without feeding, the more damage you take from fire and the slower your health regeneration, but there are some positives that go with this too. Werewolves have an increased weakness to poison only when transformed, and transforming is completely optional—so if you become a werewolf and decide you don't like it, there's no need to cure yourself.

I do not recommend doing vampire or werewolf (especially werewolf) on the same character you do all your crafting on, because of the larger skill point commitment.

Edit: Man, I'm slow.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Werewolf's penalties and bonuses are all tied to usage of its elite ability and can be safely ignored if you end up not liking it. You may as well get it if you never plan to go vampire. It's a free elite skill that grants increased stamina regeneration when slotted, so it's handy for low level characters that have nothing better to put there.

At the lowest level of vampirism there are no penalties or bonuses, but your character's looks are greatly altered at all times. The mandatory bloodshot eyes and white skin/scales/fur are a bummer and there's not a lot of full coverage skins or polymorphs you can use to avoid it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Right now, I'm kinda following the "Baby's First Templar" new players build the game suggests.

Will there be a way to respec later?

I kinda like the sound of the Werewolf, but I think the build I'm using is Magicka based.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Annath posted:

Right now, I'm kinda following the "Baby's First Templar" new players build the game suggests.

Will there be a way to respec later?

I kinda like the sound of the Werewolf, but I think the build I'm using is Magicka based.

You can always respec with gold. I thought they changed the system so it was a lot cheaper, but I haven't noticed it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so as a newbie, on my first character i dont plan on crafting on or anything and going werewold, I can just sell all my excess weapons and armor and poo poo right? probably be a long time before I dabble in crafting, and ill do that on a 2nd character whenever i get around to it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

queeb posted:

so as a newbie, on my first character i dont plan on crafting on or anything and going werewold, I can just sell all my excess weapons and armor and poo poo right? probably be a long time before I dabble in crafting, and ill do that on a 2nd character whenever i get around to it.

Then go ahead and make that second character *now*, put all your excess weapons/armor in the bank, and start researching on that character immediately.

Crafting uses a lot of skill points, just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

will do! that's why I figured id do it on another, i want to do werefolf on this dude which also uses lots of points i guess.