Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

aw man, i thought there would be a fun training arc or something as a prelude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Since these seem to be group challenges, at least these won't be a slog of tournament crap for now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

wow I thought there was another stage to the semester exams for some reason, that was very sudden

still, a new arc and tadokoro is there, how invigilating. she better make it to the keep.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This manga is so loving stupid

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

honestly, I'm glad for more ridiculous chefs.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I’m Burnout from Fortnite, but a chef

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fat! Evil! Clown! Chef! STEAM! PUNK! WIZARD! CHEF! HOT! LINE! MIAMI! CHEF!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So... we're just going to gloss over the fact that Erina was kidnapped?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mulderman posted:

So... we're just going to gloss over the fact that Erina was kidnapped?

Completely, yes.

Not like there are cops in this series anyways

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I don't think the author learned any lessons at all from how all the Azami stuff was received.

The series is at it's best when it's just the kids bouncing off each other learning things, but it's just back to these dumb tournaments with stupid villains I don't care at all about.

I wanna see things like Megumi teaming up with Hisako to serve a cranky old innkeeper with stomach aliments who's lost all passion for work and hates customers.

Not the Insane Chef Posse rolling in to have a bunch of throwaway villains lose immediately, then have their bosses be inexplicably capable.

Look at that guy out front. He looks like bishi Leatherface.

It's pretty sad for me since Soma was one of the main reasons I got a subscription to WSJ. The series was really rough for a while but I kind of had hope maybe it would get better since the author said halfway through the Azami arc that he knew it wasn't working out, but the arc needed to be finished once it had been started. And the first couple of chapters afterwards did give me a bit of hope. Soma and Megumi versus that ridiculous weeb tourist was a lot of fun and the kind of dumb lightheartedness that I originally liked about the series.

But here we are jumping right into another tournament, where the stakes are gonna get raised so high there's no drama at all since the protagonist side won't be able to lose.

At least MHA is still really good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
For better or worse this pretty clearly seems like the final arc so hopefully it won’t slide any further.

If Erina jobs to Asahi I’m dropping it like a loving rock immediately though, really tired of the competent female character getting repeatedly threatened with slavery and having that actually be followed through on would be awful.

E: also I know the thread loves Megumi and all but goddamn do she and Takumi feel shoehorned in here

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: also I know the thread loves Megumi and all but goddamn do she and Takumi feel shoehorned in here

Absolutely. I'm probably carrying the Megumi Fanclub Card #1 (come and fight me for it if you want it), but when I read the chapter I was like "Wait. Souma and... Megumi and Aldini? What? Where's Kurokiba? Alice? Hayama?"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It seems dumb because, if I don't misremember, Aldini is 7 and Megumin is 10. Like, where's Mad Dog Kurokiba (#5)? Where's goofbal Alice (#6) and lovable-douche Kuga (#3)? And most importantly, where the hell is best boy Isshiki? Failing that, gimme Scumbag Steve Eizan showing these noir wussies how badness should be done.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It seems dumb because, if I don't misremember, Aldini is 7 and Megumin is 10. Like, where's Mad Dog Kurokiba (#5)? Where's goofbal Alice (#6) and lovable-douche Kuga (#3)? And most importantly, where the hell is best boy Isshiki? Failing that, gimme Scumbag Steve Eizan showing these noir wussies how badness should be done.

It's probably because Takumi and Megumi were the third and fourth most popular characters?

Emphasis were, last I checked Hisako and Alice beat both of them out so why aren't they here? :v:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Galvanik posted:

I don't think the author learned any lessons at all from how all the Azami stuff was received.

The series is at it's best when it's just the kids bouncing off each other learning things, but it's just back to these dumb tournaments with stupid villains I don't care at all about.

I wanna see things like Megumi teaming up with Hisako to serve a cranky old innkeeper with stomach aliments who's lost all passion for work and hates customers.

Not the Insane Chef Posse rolling in to have a bunch of throwaway villains lose immediately, then have their bosses be inexplicably capable.

Look at that guy out front. He looks like bishi Leatherface.

It's pretty sad for me since Soma was one of the main reasons I got a subscription to WSJ. The series was really rough for a while but I kind of had hope maybe it would get better since the author said halfway through the Azami arc that he knew it wasn't working out, but the arc needed to be finished once it had been started. And the first couple of chapters afterwards did give me a bit of hope. Soma and Megumi versus that ridiculous weeb tourist was a lot of fun and the kind of dumb lightheartedness that I originally liked about the series.

But here we are jumping right into another tournament, where the stakes are gonna get raised so high there's no drama at all since the protagonist side won't be able to lose.

At least MHA is still really good.
i kinda disagree, like i love the dumb shounen cooking is power levels stuff too the real problem is boring 1v1 cooking fights that are all judged by 3 people yet have unanimous conclusions, and even worse drawing the predictable outcomes to three or four chapters and azami was really only bad cause he's the most boring straight laced fun hole if he had a drat personality it'd have been better

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Did Takumi just reference a conversation he wasn't there to see?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the clown isn't a chef he's just there for comedic relief

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

wow, you really don't like takumi

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

The clown cried and told the doctor, "but doctor I AM the clown chef."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Taking bets on who the BLUE leader person is. I'm guessing Souma's mom because it's the dumbest thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

Taking bets on who the BLUE leader person is. I'm guessing Souma's mom because it's the dumbest thing.

Azami

Not gonna lie was bracing myself for that reveal. I don't know why I'm expecting him to show up again.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Fabricated posted:

garfield and the last challenge is a lasagna dish

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fabricated posted:

Reanimated corpse of Escoffier

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Souma: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/284/5416/1

I do not like how this pacing seems to be going as of yet, but maybe it'll be okay.

Prediction: Souma's peeved because he doesn't think the old guy is dying any time soon

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There were one or two jokes but the spikes and stripes guy just reminded me that this is time that could be going to Alice or Dog or Hisako instead

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 19, 2018

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Xelkelvos posted:

Prediction: Souma's peeved because he doesn't think the old guy is dying any time soon

I think he’s gonna make a dish that’s so good the old man will want to keep living, instead of a dish so good he thinks he can die.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
He's going to cook a dish that'll send the old guy to heaven. Literally. Gives him a heart attack, it's so good.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Didn’t even show what the clown and bunny girl cooked. Screw off.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

VgameT posted:

I think he’s gonna make a dish that’s so good the old man will want to keep living, instead of a dish so good he thinks he can die.

ding ding ding this is definately the correct answer in fact it'll probably be a dish that restores his youth or something

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Elfgames posted:

ding ding ding this is definately the correct answer in fact it'll probably be a dish that restores his youth or something

This is going to be Shokugeki's Yakitake Japan moment isn't it?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm sitting here in awe of how closely they're toeing the line of "isn't this old warcrimer just the kookiest guy"

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Eej posted:

I'm sitting here in awe of how closely they're toeing the line of "isn't this old warcrimer just the kookiest guy"

Japan! Banzai!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

This is going to be Shokugeki's Yakitake Japan moment isn't it?

I think that moment was already realized with the Nakiri energy field that strips anyone in its influence

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/285/5443/1

Chapter's up

E: This light and dark gimmick is loving stupid

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Shokugeki no Soma Manga Discussion: infinite wasteland

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i like it, Soma is a grey chef :coal:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i bet we're not even going to see tsukasa or rindou in the Blue tournament even though they would by all means have the rights to enter and would even fit the theme of it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

On the other hand if anyone could've become a Dark Chef in the timeskip, I can see it for either Rindou or Tsukasa

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Patware posted:

On the other hand if anyone could've become a Dark Chef in the timeskip, I can see it for either Rindou or Tsukasa

moreso saying that tsukuda has probably not even accounted for it at all is the pessimistic view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

moreso saying that tsukuda has probably not even accounted for it at all is the pessimistic view

oh yeah, no, this writing loving blows

but every now and then someone puts souma in the garbage or there's a fat evil clown chef