Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, we've seen the rules for it up to now, which looked nice and a fun Titanic addition to Necrons, which generally lack anti-armor unless you go heavy into Heavy Destroyers. But $300+ for a single Knight model is just... not viable? I can't imagine spending that much on a Knight-level model. Then again, the actual Knight models vary from $190-285 on their site--were they always so expensive?

They were 25% cheaper before they changed the webstore to allow payments in local currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

These strategms are delightful.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Booley posted:

They were 25% cheaper before they changed the webstore to allow payments in local currency.

Ok yeah, I thought something like that had occurred but didn't remember clearly. I recalled them being fairly in-line with other plastics a while back. Now... uh... Hey, speaking of conversion models... (plops down a Knight with a Ghost Ark duct taped to the head).

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm completely torn between buying a chaos sorc and a pack of bikes to smash together or a sorc of tz on a disk I can bash to be on a teeny surfboard.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh no it's absurdly costed, but that's because folks are used to comparing them to injected molded plastic Knights.

Pretty sure it being absurdly costed isn’t really all that related to them being compared to plastic Knights, and has a lot to do with FW’s prices being absolutely insane, especially after their recent “convenience” price hike.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Don't panic everyone. I have journeyed into the depths of the Internet to bring you some of the best finely cured salty hams.

Great news for Necron & GK players! All your models are undercosted!

I have to wait THREE WHOLE DAYS into November to get my seven new units! What a bunch of failures GW are!

ONE OF MY NEW MODELS IS DEFECTIVE BECAUSE OF AN INTERNET RUMOUR
(which of course was wrong)

JUST MELT DOWN MY MODELS ALREADY GW

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lmao Orktober is one release

susan
Jan 14, 2013

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Space Marines are asexual obligate cyborg mega parasites. Get your sex fantasies accurate.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
To be fair they said Orktober would be about Orks. Never said anything about releasing jack poo poo during it. :shrug:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This was my biggest hope for Orktober and i'm happy it came to be.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I hope Grey Knights get a price increase in Chapter Approved

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
GW will probably do an automated points increase with a bad search that hits everything with knight in the name.

Grey knight? Black Knight? Knight Castellan? All go up X%

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

GW will probably do an automated points increase with a bad search that hits everything with knight in the name.

Grey knight? Black Knight? Knight Castellan? All go up X%

RIP Dark Angels

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

xtothez posted:

Don't panic everyone. I have journeyed into the depths of the Internet to bring you some of the best finely cured salty hams.

I hope it doesn't come off as salty, I just wish Orks would stop being the joke option that you play for fun because they are really hard to win with. I just watched a bat-rep between Death Watch and Orks and the DW ended with 49 victory points 21 came from units destroyed, the Orks ended up with 16 points total, only 3 points from units destroyed. I love Ork lore, I love Ork models, but getting outshot, out maneuvered, out toughed, and (insultingly), out punched gets to be demoralizing. Watching less than 40 models wipe away dozens and dozens of boyz in 2 or 3 turns is just deeply unsatisfying.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

I hope it doesn't come off as salty, I just wish Orks would stop being the joke option that you play for fun because they are really hard to win with. I just watched a bat-rep between Death Watch and Orks and the DW ended with 49 victory points 21 came from units destroyed, the Orks ended up with 16 points total, only 3 points from units destroyed. I love Ork lore, I love Ork models, but getting outshot, out maneuvered, out toughed, and (insultingly), out punched gets to be demoralizing. Watching less than 40 models wipe away dozens and dozens of boyz in 2 or 3 turns is just deeply unsatisfying.

This is why they're getting a codex released next week so that won't be the case. Based on what we've seen so far they'll be extremely good.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Basically every Ork update we've seen so far has been an expected update to match the point drops and improvements seen in other codices or have been incredible surprises with powerful and/or fun choices. There's a ton of Strategem-based methods to improve Ork units now including armor saves, which is not a mechanic I'd think they'd have gone with but I think it makes Ork play much more distinctive than just "rolls lots of dice."

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

xtothez posted:

Great news for Necron & GK players! All your models are undercosted!

I have to wait THREE WHOLE DAYS into November to get my seven new units! What a bunch of failures GW are!

ONE OF MY NEW MODELS IS DEFECTIVE BECAUSE OF AN INTERNET RUMOUR
(which of course was wrong)

JUST MELT DOWN MY MODELS ALREADY GW

You're doing gods work diving into the poo poo heap to find such gold.

Also loving war hams are never happy. I'm not one of those ancient Ork players who has been making due since the dark anges but from what I can see GW seems to be really trying with this codex and army.

Constantly ppl wanted mad max style stuff as an update from tiny buggies and they get them. And they're still not loving happy.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Sorry friends, but you've been had. Notice it says Werkshop, not Workshop. It's a parody accoun and one of incredibly poor taste. At this point I've been had enough times that I hope the person behind it chokes on a chicken bone. Fucker.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Sorry friends, but you've been had. Notice it says Werkshop, not Workshop. It's a parody accoun and one of incredibly poor taste. At this point I've been had enough times that I hope the person behind it chokes on a chicken bone. Fucker.

I like you

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My Space Marines aren't great and my Deathwatch is fine, but the key is to play people who are also bad and then it's just whoever makes the least mistakes

I get wins all the time, by virtue of slightly less stupidity!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

For_Great_Justice posted:

Also loving war hams are never happy.

User + Post combo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

TheBigAristotle posted:

My Space Marines aren't great and my Deathwatch is fine, but the key is to play people who are also bad and then it's just whoever makes the least mistakes

This is like the solution to grognard version of "everyone smaller than me is weak; everyone bigger than me is on steroids" (if you beat me you're beardy/overpowered/undercosted, if I beat you it's because I'm a better player)

More people should take it less seriously. I'd kill to have half of what Orks are getting for Necrons, but I don't feel bad when I drop drukhari against grey knights, either. It's just more fun when you can do cool stuff.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

richyp posted:

User + Post combo.

Yeah I know I have had a long streak of negativity with GW going as far back as 5th ed 40k GK an the breaking of WFB which I enjoyed but I am willing to change my opinion when they do good things.

So far everything from the Ork drops have been good at least in my opinion. I don't know how anyone can find a problem with a car that shooting exploding squigs.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I think my first say, half-dozen games in 8th I really didn't know what to do and got frustrated when I was dominated, but it was more bc I didn't know why I was bad.

Eventually I just realized that I like moving little guys and rolling dice, and sometimes just hitting a 5+ you need is worth it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had the time to take pictures of my 30k DA conversions, but I just remembered I had some pictures of my 40k Night Lords. This project was started back in 6th edition when marines were still on 25mm bases after I read ADB's Night Lords trilogy. I had had a small NL army in 4th edition, but had gotten rid of it long ago and those books inspired me to revisit the army. My idea was to emulate the warband from the books, but I had no intention of representing them. I wanted a similar aesthetic with a bunch of looted wargear and minimal mutation and chaos influence. The leaders could be a bit more corrupted, but it was right out for the rank and file. The army was going to feature a bunch of raptors and terminators deep striking in to gently caress poo poo up, but they would probably just die horribly. Usual Night Lords stuff.

Sadly, these guys are currently on hold as the 30k bug bit me back when Calth came out and I honestly don't have the time for two armies. About all I've done since then is move them over to 32mm bases which really helped with my raptors as they have the old metal jump packs. I'd like to get back to this army at some point and they take so little space right now that I'm not about to get rid of them. Anyways, models:

Raptor Lord:

One of my favorite models. This guy's converted out of the plastic aspiring champion with a powerfist made out of a terminator fist and warp talon claw. The sword was taken off of a resin sorcerer I had other plans for and the combo of a pronged sword and fist was meant to resemble a demon prince model. The idea was that these two models would be the same lord at two different times in his career as a spooky murderman. The base will be fixed at some point.

Terminator characters:

Just a couple of fun dudes who want nothing more than to teleport into battle with some pals like suicidal idiots. This was back when CSM had a hilarious demon axe relic so the guy on the right was built to represent that option. I also have 5 terminators built out of a mix of chaos and imperial terminators. If/when I ever get back to them, I plan on using a weird mix of indomitus, cataphractii, and tartaros armor for a crazy scavenged hodgepodge look.

Chaos marines:

I have another squad as well, but they're currently in pieces. I had built them out of plastic parts and painted them up as test models. I then ordered some FW parts, including the mkV seen here, and wanted to work those into the first squad. So I stripped them and broke them down and never got back to them. :v: Both squads were going to tool around in rhinos.

Raptors:

I loving hate the dumb plastic jump packs. They have spikes growing out of the turbines and that's just stupid. So I kept an eye on ebay for a while hoping to find reasonable prices on the old metal raptors. Just for the jump packs. I got lucky and found 35 of the drat things for $70 so I bought them immediately. Still have the metal bodies in a bag somewhere with no intention of using them. Unfortunately, a plastic body doesn't work well with a metal jump pack on a 25mm base and these guys turned out hilariously top heavy. I flattened a bunch of fishing weights and used them to counter balance, but still had issues. The switch to 32mm basically fixed all of that and I haven't even had to weight them yet.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

I loving hate the dumb plastic jump packs. They have spikes growing out of the turbines and that's just stupid. So I kept an eye on ebay for a while hoping to find reasonable prices on the old metal raptors. Just for the jump packs. I got lucky and found 35 of the drat things for $70 so I bought them immediately. Still have the metal bodies in a bag somewhere with no intention of using them. Unfortunately, a plastic body doesn't work well with a metal jump pack on a 25mm base and these guys turned out hilariously top heavy. I flattened a bunch of fishing weights and used them to counter balance, but still had issues. The switch to 32mm basically fixed all of that and I haven't even had to weight them yet.

I'd have just re-cast the jump packs in resin, or ordered recasts from someone. Looks great, though

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

:siren: Bonus round :siren:

Hello Games Workshop. I, an anonymous Internet poster, can advise you how to correctly play games with plastic spacemen!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Yeah I know I have had a long streak of negativity with GW going as far back as 5th ed 40k GK an the breaking of WFB which I enjoyed but I am willing to change my opinion when they do good things.

So far everything from the Ork drops have been good at least in my opinion. I don't know how anyone can find a problem with a car that shooting exploding squigs.

What has there been other than the new buggies?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Indolent Bastard posted:

All of the codex previews, I guess

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd have just re-cast the jump packs in resin, or ordered recasts from someone. Looks great, though
It was years ago and that didn't occur to me. :downs:

I've honestly been tinkering with the idea of casting parts myself for a while. Mostly for expensive/OOP 30k parts, but this would be a good use of it too.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

xtothez posted:

Hello Games Workshop. I, an anonymous Internet poster, can advise you how to correctly play games with plastic spacemen!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

Dear random forum poster,

In spite of appearances as friendly, affable folks (we are British after all) we'd like you to know that we are actively mocking you behind your back. Posts like this sustain us, in the same way the screams of the tortured sustain a Haemonculus or Khorne is empowered by the blood-fueled rage of the damned.

Happy Orktober.

Games Workshop

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Indolent Bastard posted:

Trike and Mek Workshop.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

As someone said above the previews for the codex. Between cultures and strats old models and combos can feel like completely new stuff. Teleporting a gorkanaut or stompa, whichever, with mega nobz may not make either A+ in everything but it is certainly worth trying out in actual games to see what can happen.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
B-but Orktober means at least 20 new units even though no other faction got that! Only 3, a complete codex overhaul, and kultur isn't what we were promised!

Really, though, the sculpts for boys have got to be 10 years old.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

The Boyz are in the camp of chaos basic marines an I'd say basic guard. Serviceable but could use an update. Do IG still have the giant strangling hands?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

B-but Orktober means at least 20 new units even though no other faction got that! Only 3, a complete codex overhaul, and kultur isn't what we were promised!

7, not 3, and Eldar/guard basic troops are just as old and bad.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

The Boyz are in the camp of chaos basic marines an I'd say basic guard. Serviceable but could use an update. Do IG still have the giant strangling hands?

They're sized for Ork heads :eng101:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

evol262 posted:

Orktober should probably contain more than one (1) Ork release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

November has been looted by the orks as well.