Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Subdued Russians are never a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
That appeared to be a set of legs under the truck in the first segment of the video?

Censored Russians are even worse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sovereign citizens are getting ridiculous!

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEXdkA5sF3w

There doesn't seem to be much room to hang.

One of the reports said "There's one fatality in the car, but we don't know whether it's the driver or a passenger"

do not click this video

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

sandoz posted:

do not click this video

I'm ArcMage and I endorse this message.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

How about a success story?

https://i.imgur.com/rk7hLbN.mp4

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Well done that man. Secure the source, evaluate the scene, fight the fire.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ArcMage posted:

Don't forget the key step of "tap your feet and think to yourself OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo" during the whole process

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Boogalo posted:

Don't forget the key step of "tap your feet and think to yourself OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo" during the whole process

That part is left out of the steps because it comes naturally from being partially char grilled in the opening seconds of the fireball.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
Houston drivers dodge massive runaway spool on highway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9ZDTdaVEI

How do you do, fellow cars?

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Flank protection means that if a train passes a signal at danger it should be routed to wherever presents the lowest risk. This involves an assessment of what kind of movements are going on in the area, what the line speed is, and what the distance is between the signal and the “conflict point” – where one train is brought into a conflict with another.

In the case of Paddington line 3 the points could either be set in such a way as to take a train onto the Up Main, as happened to Hodder, or onto the Down Relief. It seems in hindsight a terrible mistake to have them set by default, when SN109 was at danger, so as a train movement would go onto the Up Main.  The Up Main had frequent, incredibly high speed, movements primarily in the opposite direction. But would the Down Relief have been any better? The line speed was the same (I think), and there were fewer movements. However crucially the distance from the signal to the conflict point was much shorter.

It was mandated in a railway industry standard in 1988 that flank protection should be provided, i.e. points should be set to divert unauthorised moves like Hodder’s away from legitimate moves like Cooper’s.  As we see above that is not as simple as it first seems when you’ve got complex layouts. Both directions could include conflict with legitimate moves.

Paddington was resignalled after this standard came into force and, in a familiar story, no one was entirely clear on whose responsibility it had been to weigh up the risks of flank protection in regards to SN109 and document a decision on which way the points should face.  In retrospect it was decided the longer overrun distance to the Up Main was the deciding factor, but clearly another factor was that the layout had to be flexible. If points had to be set in certain ways every time each signal was at danger then the movements around those signals would be highly restricted.  This undermined the whole point of the resignalling. The 1988 standard only said flank protection should be used where it would be “simple and effective”. In the case of Paddington it could be legitimately said it would be neither of those.

We have a more formalised risk assessment process in place now, and a lot more careful consideration would be given in a documented fashion when putting in a layout like this.  The key difference, and one of the big outcomes from Ladbroke Grove, is that we now have Train Protection Warning System (TPWS).

TPWS is basically a system that protects conflict points, or minimises the impact of them.  When you do a risk assessment on a signal if it were to be found that there are significant conflicting moves involved one of the mitigations that could be put in would be TPWS.  As such it is fitted to nearly all signals at junctions. Here’s an example signal from my home station I photographed on my way to work:

http://imgur.com/a/0TG3ZNo

That signal protects a junction but actually as you can see with the empty coaching stock train going over the points ahead any movement past that signal at danger would conflict with movements from the left.  A SPAD at that signal, at line speed, would have a significant chance of resulting in a side on collision because movements over that junction are frequent and the overrun distance is not all that long. So there is a TPWS grid fitted.  It’s the thing in the middle of the track directly next to the signal that looks like a barbecue grid. When the signal is red the grid is energised and it sends a message to any train that passes over it to apply the emergency brakes. That won’t stop a SPAD, as the train will already have gone past the signal at that point, but it will help protect the conflict point – in this case the bit where the line coming from the left meets yours. That’s called a train stop sensor (TSS).

At locations at high speeds applying emergency brakes at the signal won’t stop a train passing a conflict.  So you may also have Overspeed grids on approach to the signal. Those look the same but are set in pairs. The train passes over the first one (the arming grid) and if it then reaches the second grid too quickly (the trigger grid) that sends an emergency stop signal.  Both grids are collectively called an overspeed sensor (OSS). Varying the distance the grids are set apart gives you the ability to set a speed at which the OSS will apply the brakes, forcing drivers to brake on approach to the signal.

This has not eliminated the possibility of a train passing a conflict point as it is hard to set grids appropriately for all types of traction that might pass over a route.  Freight trains in particular can take miles to stop at line speed so the OSS grids would have to be set miles away from signals, which isn’t feasible. The other problem with the system is that the driver can just turn it off. There is an isolation switch on the back wall of the cab.  It would be a complete violation of every rule in the book for a driver to use that without authorisation, but there is nothing physically preventing it. If a driver flicked that switch, put the train into full power on approach to the buffer stops, and just sat back and waited like that Germanwings pilot then the first thing to stop the train would be whatever concession stand is on the nearby concourse.

The result of this system is that the Ladbroke Grove crashes of the past are probably now TPWS brake demand incidents, not SPAD incidents.  It certainly seems to me that a larger number of SPADs now happen at low speeds (i.e. where the OSS grid wouldn’t have caught it first) or are on signals without TPWS fitment at all.  Consequently they are lower risk on paper – if it was a high risk location TPWS would be fitted.

Incidentally, TPWS would also likely have prevented the Cowden crash.  If you passed OD58 at danger now I’m pretty confident the grids would stop the train before entering the single line section

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boogalo posted:

I think thats "evaluate the scene"

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's terrifying. I'm glad you weren't injured, at least.

Thanks man.

Some footage of the actual collapse was released. I was walking inside the station at that moment so I was relatively safe but through the window I actually saw the kid in the background of the video.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

ArcMage posted:

This is reminding me that whenever I see that done near where I live, they're wearing jeans and t-shirts and no protective equipment.

Yikes.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
https://i.imgur.com/vNg1e2x.gifv

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm the towel that holds its rectangular shape while draped at a 30 degree angle

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, that is one *plush* towel there.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fender Anarchist posted:

I'm the towel that holds its rectangular shape while draped at a 30 degree angle

fabric softener is for chumps

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Raskolnikov38 posted:

fabric softener is for chumps

Fabric softener on towels misses the point of towels and fabric softener.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Groda posted:

Fabric softener on towels misses the point of towels and fabric softener.

Well, suppose you want to squeegee the water off with terrycloth. Then you're covered that way.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

The towel bar flying off and landing on Mr. Pull Up, at the end, is just the icing on the cake.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

null_pointer posted:

The towel bar flying off and landing on Mr. Pull Up, at the end, is just the icing on the cake.

This is textbook "Tragedy + Time = Comedy".

If you could print a gif onto a textbook, this would be the one to print.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

It is my firm belief that no one in russia can drive, and tires fall off their cars all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxjvNFp-fw

video proof, there is some nasty hits in this one.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

where is the rest

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do the dahscam videos help resolve driving disputes? Does car insurance function in Russia? Do these collisions escalate into violence?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/c2L51Ls.gifv

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El_Elegante posted:

Do the dahscam videos help resolve driving disputes? Does car insurance function in Russia? Do these collisions escalate into violence?

Dashcams are so common in Russia because of rampant insurance fraud.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Life in Russia is of a quality where your best option is often to jump in front of a car and sue them for hitting you. Dashcams prove that the driver isn't at fault.

Amnizu
Nov 3, 2003

TELL ME WHY HILLARY INJECTED A MARIJUANA

https://gifsound.com/?mp4=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FnxKhG2F&v=dv13gl0a-FA&s=63

Fixed

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, that car crushed flat on the bridge had a young mom and a 3-year-old daughter in it :smith:

All happened because the truck in front was loving overloaded.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Powerline falls on playground.

https://i.imgur.com/P5Kmrgo.mp4

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Where's Linda Hamilton when you need her?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Even Satan's kids need to play after school

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Bees moved into another goon's swing set?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Xq3JulV1o

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Dominic you RAT!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Handiklap posted:

Dominic you RAT!

lol

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Boogalo posted:

Somewhere deep in his brain the flight response was very close to winning out over fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handiklap posted:

Dominic you RAT!

The ol' spicy swing set!