Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Natalie's tears on exit press is gold.

I want to change my poison to Angelina.

Erik Reichenbach continues to make :butt: comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are liking her after that display.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
She's a decently entertaining villian who's not 'Will Sims II' level of malicious. And she can actually talk a good game. Her peacekeeper role brought up during TC is gonna be an interesting one if she can keep unity between a bunch of different personalities enough to create an unlikely alliance.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Her peacekeeper role brought up during TC is gonna be an interesting one if she can keep unity between a bunch of different personalities enough to create an unlikely alliance.

I don't get this. Her tribe needs to win immunity through to the merge or a swap for her to accomplish anything relevant.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Natalie sucks and will just be annoying in whatever season she gets “redemption” and a second chance.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxHVsxJthc

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hahahaha she gave a detailed confessional about the jacket plan?!?

Seems like a bad plan that alienates your new tribemates Lyrsa and Nick in an attempt to stay a little bit warmer... I wonder if Mike knew about this, if not then it's even worse. If so then ehh, a little better.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
If she gave such a detailed confessional about it, I think all three of them must have known.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I don't get this. Her tribe needs to win immunity through to the merge or a swap for her to accomplish anything relevant.

There's one, maybe two more TCs left before the merge. Yeah they could lose the next one, but their chances aren't dire compared to the other two tribes.

She's got a really bad draw now, but if she works really hard on Nick/Mike she might be able to pull something off. And at least I think she'd be trying something, whereas the most we've seen from Gabby to reverse her position is 'pray Christian helps her tribe win immunity'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Given that video I assume she gave Mike the head's up. That's probably not the issue. The issue is probably that its just such an entitled and self absorbed thing and like even if Mike and the Davids are "cool" with it you're giving them a nice selfish, ridiculous impression to hold onto.

It probably won't mean anything on its own. Its just a bad sign of Angelina's makeup to succeed in this game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's one, maybe two more TCs left before the merge. Yeah they could lose the next one, but their chances aren't dire compared to the other two tribes.

She's got a really bad draw now, but if she works really hard on Nick/Mike she might be able to pull something off. And at least I think she'd be trying something, whereas the most we've seen from Gabby to reverse her position is 'pray Christian helps her tribe win immunity'.

If the tribal council whining was any indication, I can't see her convincing anybody of anything. She might be a fantastic goat though.

Born_to_Lose
Oct 26, 2007
So just posting because I didn't see anyone mention this and I'm pretty shocked: I can't be the only one that noticed the quick shot of (I believe) Christian spying on Dan as he ran off to look for his 2nd immunity idol right? It's really quick but the camera zooms slightly into the background right when he sets off and you can clearly see someone's head staring at him. This HAS to be setting up a Christian blindside of Dan right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

If the tribal council whining was any indication, I can't see her convincing anybody of anything. She might be a fantastic goat though.

Probst literally asked Mike, 'Is Angelina the peacekeeper of this tribe?' to which he said yes.

Maybe I'm wrong but I see her making more of an effort to keep her cool especially around people like Natalie. She might be playing a little underhanded, but I don't think she's reached slimy levels yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She hasn't done anything terribly devious or underhanded that I can recall. She even kind of rejected the notion of stealing the jacket when Natalie suggested it.

It's the entitled attitude displayed in that whole thing that bothered me. I'm sure shes cold. I'm sure everyone is cold. Making a whole thing involving multiple people, a tribal, your vote, and then a pathetic display after eviction is over is really very off putting. I imagine it has to feel worse to the cold people around her coping with the experience without those kinds of manipulations or theatrics.

Maybe it was an isolated low moment that just made great tv. It's a lot like the Gabby whining thing. If it's an example of general behavior or reaction to stress it's a bad sign. If it was an isolated low then it's an isolated low.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 27, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll cut her a little slack because it's not even her fault that she doesn't have a jacket. Production picks their clothes for them.

And hey, Sarah did the same thing in Game Changers. Except that, well, that was for a real advantage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, even putting aside the difference in the prize it wasn't that similar. I'm not bothered that Angelina wanted a jacket. If she had gotten it by charming someone or just asking nicely or something then good for her. Sarah may have manipulated the advantage to her but she did it with some deftness. She wasn't actively openly scheming for it and getting others involved and then literally begging for it.

At least not as I remember. Didn't she just play Sierra right so Sierra decided to leave her the advantage "on her own"?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Unfortunately I don't see this having an effect long-term. But I think this is just another example of Angelina's personality that will crop again and turn people against her in future altercations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's all I'm trying to say. I doubt anyone cares long term about the jacket nonsense unless she does it again. But its just that the vibe I got from her is that she is totally capable of trying it again. Or having some other self absorbed problem.

Was she the one who said she flirts with cops to get out of tickets and gets free meals at restaurants? Or was that Natalia?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Was she the one who said she flirts with cops to get out of tickets and gets free meals at restaurants? Or was that Natalia?

I think that was her.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was Angelina.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, see... That's a gross character trait that has popped up at least twice we've seen early so its likely to come up again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Angelina is basically Parvati without the self-awareness to realise how she can come across

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Looking back I also remember that Jeremy had some story about how Angelina's real problem with him was some drama about her husband and Johnny Mistress. We all dismissed it as Jeremy making excuses and being self absorbed himself, but it does seem a little more likely now that there might have been some truth to it. Not so much the "cheating" stuff but the idea that she created drama at camp.

But also Jeremy was still probably self absorbed and making excuses himself. 50/50.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They can both be bad.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i think there was some uncertainty regarding nick in the beginning for some people, myself included. but he's grown on me.

i liked that he didn't give even the slightest consideration to natalie's jacket 'proposal'. in fact he looked completely dumbfounded that it was actually a serious thing being asked of him. what a... weird thing that all was. angelina asking for natalie's jacket at the very end was the perfect way to top it off. new thread title please.

unrelated, i finally convinced my friends to watch survivor so i started off with tocantins since it seems like a straightfoward introduction with some entertaining people, but i'd like to move onto one a bit more interesting next. suggestions? i was thinking maybe cagayan or perhaps millenials vs gen x. it's hard for me to remember some of the older seasons these days.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Depends if you want pure entertainment or strategy.

Entertainment? There's Gabon, HvV, Philippines, Pearl Islands, Exile Island. Cook Islands is alright on a first watch.

Strategy? Micronesia, China, Cagayan, HvHvH. I'm not sure where MvG sits; it's actually pretty strategically bland, but it's a decent take on how Survivor has evolved. Koah Rong and Worlds Apart are alright if you can get past the ugly character moments.

There are a few seasons which have alright parts but don't really stand out to me. Game Changers is great for the first few episodes then right before merge it just goes down the drain. Cambodia is okay, it's got some solid moments (usually anything involving Fishbach), but I'm not really that hot on the season as a whole.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Micronesia has the best comedy out of any season ever and some good strategy as well, definitely show them that one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love this show and have watched it since S01E01 but poo poo all the seasons run together in my head and I couldn't possibly suggest one like that.

:corsair:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Are we pretending Tocantins isn't "interesting"?

The China-HvV run is the best the show has been, every one of those seasons is excellent, and thanks to Micronesia/HvV, that run has got great recurring characters and arcs too. Just start at China and keep going.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Micronesia is really where the modern game was born so it’s a great season to show someone. It’s also great to show off maybe the most effective social gameplay ever. There’s manipulation in that season that’s gone unmatched since.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only reasons I'd say not to show Micronesia immediately is either you want them to get familiarized with Cirie or Parvati or James or Amanda first.

Or you show them the highs too quickly, and then they're just aghast when they get to One World gameplay.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
16 (Micronesia) is definitely a great rec, but if the slower pacing of 18 (Tocantins) is what's turning you off than you probably are looking for one of the modern seasons. I think 28 (Cagayan) is the best modern season and has 0 slow episodes, with 32 (Kaoh Rong) and 33 (Millenials vs. Gen X) also good candidates (with the caveat that each of those seasons has ~2 slow episodes). 33's cast is also a bit samey if that matters to you or your friends (most of the main characters are the same archetype of dorky Survivor nerds who lack confidence but eventually gain confidence).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Adus posted:

i think there was some uncertainty regarding nick in the beginning for some people, myself included. but he's grown on me.

i liked that he didn't give even the slightest consideration to natalie's jacket 'proposal'. in fact he looked completely dumbfounded that it was actually a serious thing being asked of him. what a... weird thing that all was. angelina asking for natalie's jacket at the very end was the perfect way to top it off. new thread title please.

unrelated, i finally convinced my friends to watch survivor so i started off with tocantins since it seems like a straightfoward introduction with some entertaining people, but i'd like to move onto one a bit more interesting next. suggestions? i was thinking maybe cagayan or perhaps millenials vs gen x. it's hard for me to remember some of the older seasons these days.

Nick has really grown on me. He showed impressive backbone, and talking about how much he dislikes bullies reminds me that, IIRC he's a public defender. He came across as a bit scummy and calculating, but he's shown a lot of layers. And the alliance names are both funny and clever psychology.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spatula City posted:

Nick has really grown on me. He showed impressive backbone, and talking about how much he dislikes bullies reminds me that, IIRC he's a public defender. He came across as a bit scummy and calculating, but he's shown a lot of layers. And the alliance names are both funny and clever psychology.

Yeah my first impression of him was negative and it's only gone up up up each episode

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Are we pretending Tocantins isn't "interesting"?

The China-HvV run is the best the show has been, every one of those seasons is excellent, and thanks to Micronesia/HvV, that run has got great recurring characters and arcs too. Just start at China and keep going.

I would actually take this further back to Panama/Exile Island. You need Cook Islands to establish Parv, Ozzy, and Candice, Panama for Cirie, and Fiji for Yau Man, honorary goon. Besides, they're all great! Panama is the best hot mess ever to be broadcast, Cook Islands is weird and complicated and quite good, and Fiji gets incredibly good at the merge episode.

Palau and Guatemala are awful though, so I think this is as far as one needs to take things.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

i finally convinced my friends to watch survivor so i started off with tocantins since it seems like a straightfoward introduction with some entertaining people, but i'd like to move onto one a bit more interesting next. suggestions? i was thinking maybe cagayan or perhaps millenials vs gen x. it's hard for me to remember some of the older seasons these days.

Pearl Islands is the good one in the early goings. China is also solid.

I've never seen Cook Islands and I know what Parvati, Ozzy, Cirie, and Yau Man are all about. There's no season that's strictly necessary. Just watch good seasons. Having said that, Cook Islands might be good?

Just loving skip Kaoh Rong and Worlds Apart... especially Worlds Apart. Holy poo poo is that ugly.

Adus posted:

gently caress yes.

Spatula City posted:

gently caress yes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm pretty indifferent to Nick, but I started off disliking him so he's basically pushed back against that.

I'm at the very least curious to see how his really questionable strategy works out for him post merge if any of those alliances clash.

edit: Or if they don't. Big Brother literally just had a dude lose the game because he did what Nick's trying to do.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 28, 2018

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Natalie wearing the jacket in the credits interview? :golfclap:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Capsaicin posted:

Natalie wearing the jacket in the credits interview? :golfclap:

The single good thing she did on the show, probably.

It would have been even better if she didn't mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

new thread title please.

:cheers: