Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I'd have liked to work Smith Street bands song into this but gently caress :effort: fast turnaround.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc6qVbUerFQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

clusterfuck posted:

I'd have liked to work Smith Street bands song into this but gently caress :effort: fast turnaround.

n o i c e

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/HarlowGavin/status/1055620587731673088

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

He looks like some old mob boss with those glasses on

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We'll squeeze the Water Works until they give us everything we need, Don Katter

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Nah, it’s way older than that.

I reckon it’s Cartoon’s fault somehow.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

SURE AM GLAD WE'VE GOT THE GREAT BARRIER REEF FOUNDATION!

'Silenced': Leading reef research centre faces axe after funding miss
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/silenced-leading-reef-research-centre-faces-axe-after-funding-miss-20181026-p50c41.html

quote:

One of the world's premier coral reef research centres has failed to secure Australian Research Council funding, placing in doubt the science hub even as the Great Barrier Reef faces another bout of bleaching.

The council confirmed in Senate estimate on Thursday that the Townsville-based Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies missed out on even making the funding shortlist for its next round of funding.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Nah, it’s way older than that.

I reckon it’s Cartoon’s fault somehow.
Guilty as charged.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

clusterfuck posted:

I feel like this is the only auspol goon meme and there should be more of them.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

Guilty as charged.

I knew it!

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Anidav posted:

I feel like this is the only auspol goon meme and there should be more of them.

Well I tell you what I could use more footage of washing machines getting wrecked, there's no shortage of fuckwits.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Auspol can't meme

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

too bad so sad

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Victorians, pay attention to the details about the state election:

quote:

Let's start with the important bit. If voting in the Legislative Council (upper house) in Victoria, vote below the line for candidates, not above the line for parties. You only have to choose five candidates for a valid vote, though you will make your vote a lot more powerful if you number a lot more. If you vote above the line, your vote will be at the mercy of your party's decisions about where to send your preferences, and they may well choose to send it to a party who you'd be totally opposed to. Unfortunately, Victoria is one of the two remaining states that has not got rid of the Group Ticket voting system. Keep control of your own vote and say no to preference-harvesting which can lead to unknown parties electing unaccountable candidates off tiny percentages of the vote.

He goes on to say that the federal situation assists the state labor government but population growth doesn't and they need a significant win to improve their chances at the election after. Seats with big population growth since the last election include Bendigo East, Yan Yean, Albert Park, Cranbourne, South Barwon, Bass and Prahran.

There will most likely be a redistribution after the election anyway, so this election is crucial for both major parties if they want to get a head start later. Given the depressing short-termism of our current crop of political wunderkind that kind of forward planning is practically absent across the board.

To sum up, Andrews needs a big win, not just a win, just to avoid the spectre of hung parliament or minority government. There isn't enough significant polling to help either. If the Libs lose but minor parties and independants get a look in, it's going to be really messy.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I don't know what you intended by minor parties exactly but that sounds like the kind of poo poo my Grandma used to 'caution' me with when I said I vote Greens.

Fwiw Greens said they will work with an Andrews' government

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

University Website posted:

In the recent Higher Education Reforms it is proposed that Commonwealth Supported Place for postgrad programs will cease from 2019, following the introduction of a new Postgraduate Scholarships program. Students who commenced in, or accepted an offer of, a postgraduate Commonwealth Support Place (CSP) after 1 May 2017 and before the end of 2018 will be able to continue in their CSP until the end of 2018. After this, students would need to be in receipt of a scholarship to continue to study in a Commonwealth subsidised place. Students who do not receive a scholarship may be required to pay the relevant full postgraduate fee for the remaining units. For more information please see the Higher Education Reform Student FAQs.

Do any of you know anything about this? Is the LNP actually stripping commonwealth support for postgraduate education and turning it into a scholarship only model?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

hooman posted:

Do any of you know anything about this? Is the LNP actually stripping commonwealth support for postgraduate education and turning it into a scholarship only model?

Might be outdated?

https://www.education.gov.au/higher-education-policy-changes-provider-faqs

quote:

The previously proposed establishment of a 'student-centred' model for the distribution of postgraduate coursework places will not proceed.

What will happen with the allocation of CSPs for postgraduate study?

Each university will receive an allocation of postgraduate CSPs in 2018, which will be documented in their funding agreement. From 2019, the Government will reallocate CSPs for postgraduate courses based on criteria informed by public and private benefits and how well institutions meet student needs. The Government will consult with the sector during 2018 on new arrangements for allocation in 2019.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bravo for ScoMo, the funding for his drought relief is coming from the NDIS.

He is stealing from the NDIS to give to Barnaby's Country Fund.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Friendship ended with NDIS
Now Nationals Slush Fund is my best friend.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
But I need that money to live!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

He said he wasn't taking money from anything to fund this. How can you lie to me like this ScoMo :(

Of course the "billions" of dollars of relief money doesn't start till 2020 and works out to be $100million a year until it builds to the total of the relief fund. In the meantime farms will close down and people will be leaving small country towns for jobs elsewhere.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

You Am I posted:

He said he wasn't taking money from anything to fund this. How can you lie to me like this ScoMo :(

Of course the "billions" of dollars of relief money doesn't start till 2020 and works out to be $100million a year until it builds to the total of the relief fund. In the meantime farms will close down and people will be leaving small country towns for jobs elsewhere.

Its also a big political foot ball by saying 'well we promised we will by 2020, but (insert PM and party here) have not' when they inevitably loose the election

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

I don't know what you intended by minor parties exactly but that sounds like the kind of poo poo my Grandma used to 'caution' me with when I said I vote Greens.

Fwiw Greens said they will work with an Andrews' government

Anything could happen, really. We have little data to go on and we've got seats that have grown in population by 30%. Maybe the Greens vote will improve, maybe not. Maybe someone from a minor party runs an effective campaign and surprises everybody, maybe someone will defect from a major party mid-campaign but has such a personal following they squeak through. What's the betting that 4 or 5 seats crucial to an ALP majority take about a month to decide? Preference deals, like Bonham says, are really really important to this elections result. Maybe after all that, the power comes down to a couple of independents in either or both houses.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think the big question about the Victorian Elections is will the African Gangs(tm), (of which they are legion), vote Lab. Lib. or Other.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Apex gang will vote for Apex candidates such as Skull-Jaw or Mind-Killer or the head of the gang only known as Ace.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

literally just saw this

what the loving gently caress

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Anidav posted:

Apex gang will vote for Apex candidates such as Skull-Jaw or Mind-Killer or the head of the gang only known as Ace.

Immortan Joe 2019

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Liberal Leader Matthew Guy vows to crack down on Gucci gang.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Anidav posted:

Cast your vote Skull-Jaw, a real slicer dicer, he don't shiv, you'll see
Approved by the Apex Gang, Melbourne

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thank goodness we have the disabled to rob from, otherwise we might've needed the billions of revenue lost from the bipartisan supported business tax cuts

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anyone go to the refugee rallies today? Apparently Jimmy Barnes was there.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

gently caress the poor, disabled masses. We need to feed are cheese makers.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
gently caress everything about this. Guess this is what you meant by people who could have a fair go, Morrison. People physically able to do something. Take it out of your own loving paychecks if you want that relief package so bad you're going to take it from the NDIS.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Looking forward to hearing about this being another captains call in about 2 weeks time

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
What's their hard-on for structuring these things as "future fund"s?

Seems like an unnecessary hoop for a government to bother going through

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

norp posted:

What's their hard-on for structuring these things as "future fund"s?

Seems like an unnecessary hoop for a government to bother going through

They're trying to set up "traps" for Labor when they decide to cut any of these future funds. The thing is, you actually try to conceal traps.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Policy on the run.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Policy with the runs. Muppet administration if you will.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Policy with the runs. Muppet administration if you will.

I won’t and you can’t make me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Count Chocula posted:

Anyone go to the refugee rallies today? Apparently Jimmy Barnes was there.

Was he screaming at people from the sky?

• Locked thread