Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Sulphagnist posted:

Anyway, where and when is the first time you can get a game of poker going? There seems to be a surprising amount of side activities in my texas hold'em simulator before I get to the meat of it.

In the camp when you finish the snow mountains tutorial. There also a poker table in the saloon near the camp, but every time I go into the saloon I end up in a fist fight.

Each character seems to have their own style and maybe even tells. Also some side quests will unlock through the conversations you have while playing poker with your buds.

This game also let's you do something the former GOAT BOTW didn't let you do: pet the drat dogs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

chitoryu12 posted:

It seems like a lot of the complaints about a “slow pace” are from people who are looking for a fast action game instead of a slow, immersive, story and character-based game.

Which isn’t a problem, but you’re looking in the wrong place. It’s like being upset that your filet mignon took 45 minutes to come out when you thought it would just be 30 seconds like a Big Mac.

I get your point and while I agree, I played Assassins Creed Odyssey the last week, and AC Od wipes the floor with RDR2 in the categories pace, movement, choreography, action/fights, handling and responsiveness.
The transition to RDR2 was really hard and most of the „gameplay“ was me trying stuff to break the games handholding.
The lack of explanations and counter intuitive controls and slow paced story (at least in the first hours) is - despite the fantastic audiovisual experience and atmosphere- frustrating and makes me want to play AC Od again and finish this first.

Maybe it’s just RDR2 first hours where everything is so slow and doughy and leading to more questions („how does this work? What am I supposed to do? Am I missing something?“) and micromanaging than fun .

Maybe AC Od and RDR2 are just diametrically different open world games.
I prefer fast paced action and exploring to being bound in a forced immersive corset the setting and story requires, so that cooking 5 meat pieces need 1 minute of button pressing and waiting.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'd been trying to live the life of a white-hat cowboy.

But then I shot

a town.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nolgthorn posted:

Anyone run into the man from new york headed toward Strawberry? I was leading that dude there and then I accidentally went one nanometer too far ahead of him, tried to turn around and accidentally brushed up against him by about a nanometer and the giant pussy ran away. Was wondering what happens if you get him into town.

He tells you to keep an eye on the mayor because he's a corrupt asshat, or something along those lines. I really didn't notice anything special.

Sulphagnist posted:

Anyway, where and when is the first time you can get a game of poker going? There seems to be a surprising amount of side activities in my texas hold'em simulator before I get to the meat of it.

There's a poker table in your camp, but you have to unlock the ability to play in camp. However, in the "Pastor" quest, you end up playing as much poker as you want at the very beginning of the mission

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i keep getting hit on by a gay one-armed civil war veteran.

Ha!

The quick glance around and the look on Arthur’s face as he gave two swift pats on the veterans’ back during the hug was hilarious.

The lighting is really making me want a hdr capable tv.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Some questions, cause the god drat in-game hints fade too quickly and I miss 80% of them:

- Why should I regularly hunt and take food back to the camp? What does it do? It says morale but I don't see what effect that will have. I go and donate lots of venison meat but there's no indicator or event that happens to show me that it has done anything beneficial.
- Hunting seems like it's very difficult, because I can only carry one big game and two small game on my horse. Every time I hunt, do I need to take the pelt back then and there? I usually come across big herds and I want to stay and hunt all of them instead of skinning one, going to the trapper, going back, hunting another.
- Every time I wear a bandana to hide my identity, I still get a bounty? So I'll wear a bandana, then go up to someone in the distance (before they've seen me) and kill them. Then a witness always comes along, runs to the lawmen, and I get a bounty on my head even though they don't know what I look like. Am I doing something wrong?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

shortspecialbus posted:

It's not a huge amount of money. It'll buy you like one medium-priced gun.

Speaking of guns, which ones do people like?

Springfield rifle with medium scope + other upgrades. Perfect for hunting most targets and you can shoot it on horseback easily, just press the down d-pad to use scope for hunting.

It is a bit slower than the repeaters who it is mostly one shot kill so that doens't matter too much.

Sawn off shotgun + revolver double handed combo is great on foot too.

Fuzz posted:

I lost my hat. :smith:
Murder someone for their hat, temporarily.

Gay Horney posted:

Just had a pretty loving insane moment? --there's a woman out in the woods whose horse had died and asked for a ride. I gave it to her and she started telling me about her horse Biscuit. We're riding on the first horse you get from the stables, and I'd named him biscuit!! What are the loving odds.

I too picked her up, then after about 2 minutes accidentally ran into a tree, killing her instantly and making me revive my horse.

Pylons posted:

I think I found a sasquatch skeleton?

Yah, ontop of the mountain? Me too, Arthur even draws it in his journal if you've picked up the paleontology missions.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 27, 2018

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fuzz posted:

I lost my hat. :smith:

I believe your horse spawns hats.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Some CEO and design leads need to be slapped for making you constantly lose the equipment you had on and reselect from the horse all the dang time between cut-scenes and activities just stripping you down to your pistols over and over. Rockstar's proving that there is a line between what is tolerable and what is annoying in video game "realism".

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

JBP posted:

There are apparently ways to win that mission? I got shitfaced and locked up...

I ran down the alley and dodged to the right when the guy jumped out from the left screaming "you'll never take me alive" over and over again.

it faded to black and I woke up miles away with Arthur sitting up, saying "oh no, not again" before vomiting all over the place.

One of the best missions ever.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone else having issues getting the GTAO stuff? The gun is full price in the store and I got no idea where the hatchet is.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

drunkill posted:

I too picked her up, then after about 2 minutes accidentally ran into a tree, killing her instantly and making me revive my horse.

Yeah i tried that mission too. This game is weird; She would literally scream in panic if any little piece of shrubbery touched us so i kept us in the middle of the road so the game wouldn't bug out and fail the mission. After what felt like an eternity of careful riding, we were 100 meters away from the goal, and there is a real sharp turn there, making me miss the road by a wee bit. The horse trundles through a bush by the road and stumble over a small log hidden in the bush. This is enough to topple my mighty steed and sending me and the lady flying. Mission failed i suppose.

Annoyed, I decide to go hunting for a while. Trying to get some perfect deer skins for the master hunter challenge. I spend an hour or so just enjoying the sights and even manage to stalk and kill a black bear. So when i have 3 deer skins and the bear skin, i decide to head into town to see if can sell these things. Its quite a long way to the nearest town so i spent even more time traveling there. When i finally arrive, i ride down a seemingly empty street, until some guy come running infront of my horse. He gets pushed into a railing and falls down. Immediately i get the WITNESS warning up. It lasts for about 3 seconds before its now reported me for unarmed assault. The guy who i bumped into promptly gets up and starts loving shooting. I desperately try to flee, but get caught in a crossfire between the shooter and a literal horde of lawmen that just spawned out of nowhere. Me and my horse die pretty much instantly. I then respawn outside the town. Apparently the five dollar bounty i had is still in effect, My horse is gone forever; its replaced with a brown standard horse, my pelts are also gone, and my cores are all low.

What the gently caress. 1 hour of hunting wasted. And i lost my named horse. AND i have to pay a bounty, even though i died. I wanted a fun romp through the wild west like RDR1, not cowboy dark souls :negative:

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 27, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Why do people in this thread keep using the word simulation? Is there really any more to it than any other modern open world game? I've yet to see any videos etc that suggest something amazing is going on behind the scenes, and can't see it in game either (Chapter 3).

Rockstar was very big with the "It's not scripted!" marketing right before release. If you murdered a guy, for example, then bystanders would run in real time to the nearest town to report your action and you needed to catch them. The reality is more like: a person who witnessed a crime is running for more than X seconds so you get a bounty. If you can heavily suspend your disbelief then you can ignore the obvious gears turning.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I accidentally passed over the guy who got bit by a snake while in cinematic mode. Did my opportunity to complete his quest pass me, or will he show up again if I go by the area at a later time? Or, comedy option, will I pass by a corpse that died from a snake bite that I can loot?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mailer posted:

Rockstar was very big with the "It's not scripted!" marketing right before release. If you murdered a guy, for example, then bystanders would run in real time to the nearest town to report your action and you needed to catch them. The reality is more like: a person who witnessed a crime is running for more than X seconds so you get a bounty. If you can heavily suspend your disbelief then you can ignore the obvious gears turning.

And this is why I was warning people about expecting R* to have invented an emergent ai for a video game.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is there a point where it's worth powering through missions to get to? I've just done the mission that takes you to Valentine and the bounty there and it feels like there's still a shitload of stuff hidden behind more tutorial missions?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

NJersey posted:

Did I miss something or is there no auto-travel on horseback?

How else am I gonna put down the controller and pack a bowl enjoy the scenery?

Yes there is it's oddly finicky though. Make a waypoint then get your horse running along the road and turn the camera to cinematic, now hold X for roughly the time you have to hold a button to do anything.

Now you don't have to hold X for 10 minutes at a time!!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Yes there is it's oddly finicky though. Make a waypoint then get your horse running along the road and turn the camera to cinematic, now hold X for roughly the time you have to hold a button to do anything.

you're a lifesaver, I didn't know you could press x and then sit back and relax, I've been keeping it held down this entire time

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Qubee posted:

you're a lifesaver, I didn't know you could press x and then sit back and relax, I've been keeping it held down this entire time

No problem! it's like the biggest QoL improvement and I wish it hadn't taken me 4 hours to find out.

It is silly you can't do it outside of cinematic mode though just cause that only has two camera angles. I wanna set my horse on the road then look at vistas in first person thanks very much

In other news I went up north by lake Isabelle and got a sick nasty white horse, I called her Ghost and she is my princess. I bet she dies within an hour.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah from all the descriptions I'm getting dark souls vibes out of this game, I guess rockstar thinks that is just the future of gaming

22/92GB now, loving game is huge

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What happens if you get attacked during it, do you get pulled out of cinematic mode or you have to manually?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's not really much like dark souls at all.
The bounty system is punishing (in kind of a dumb way) but exploitable.
The horse has permadeath but there's no permadeath in dark souls so that's not really similar either.
The approach to story and gameplay is the exact opposite

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

canepazzo posted:

What happens if you get attacked during it, do you get pulled out of cinematic mode or you have to manually?

Manually. There was a YouTuber who talked about this, and why it's a bad idea to auto-run and go to the bathroom or grab a drink or whatever and not pay attention to the game. I guess they ran through Blackwater while still under lockdown and got obliterated by about 10 bounty hunters.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

canepazzo posted:

I'm not sure, I think manually. I grab for the controller as soon as I hear voices or growls.

Also protip: wear mask by default and take it off for social stuff, don't go bare faced if you don't have to. This let's you actually have fun when the occasion arises rather than get punished for any violent act self defence or not.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Man, the debt collections make me feel like a piece of poo poo.

At least I beat Wrobel up at night while his family was in bed unlike that other poster in the thread

And thanks for the poker tips, pardners, I think I'll keep an eye out for the pastor mission because I have yet to find a poker table where I could play in any saloon or at the camp.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 27, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ugh seriously thinking the game broke and isn't giving me my GTAO poo poo, there's an hour of crap for nothing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The little details in this game are the best.

I passed through the railroad camp yesterday while exploring, did the mission to find the thief in the railgang and then said hi to all the chinese workers.

Went back today and they had built more tracks, moved further up the hill, bridged a culvert, chopped down more trees in the path of the railroad and moved their encampment . Great little details and I figure that rail spur will connect to the other one later to allow trains to do a big loop of the area.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ugh seriously thinking the game broke and isn't giving me my GTAO poo poo, there's an hour of crap for nothing.

The specific gun and ability to equip a hatchet don’t unlock until certain points in the story.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
From what people are saying about the tedium and QOL stuff sounds like I might regret buying the game.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

SolamenteDoug posted:

Had this issue recently and it turned out to be a wonky HDMI switch I was using. Plugged directly to my TV and no problems since.

Wait, I also have what I'm assuming is a bad HDMI cable. The tv kind of "statics" and jiggling the cable messes with it some and makes it worse/helps it. I'm not sure what you were doing, but I just assumed a bad hdmi cable couldn't possibly cause my ps4 to shut itself off and they were separate issues. Going to get a new cable tomorrow regardless. Also so far, the ps4 hasn't shut off while actually playing a game, so whether it simply won't have that issue while playing or whether I just got really lucky so far, I dunno.

e: while I'm here I might as well ask about the game, is there a guide or something with a bunch of tips somewhere that's pretty good? About the start this game up and it seems like a lot of people are confused by a lot of stuff in it with regards to controls and stuff.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 27, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The game is lovely, and I'll definitely keep on enjoying it, but it's the small things that really rankle and leave a sour taste in my mouth. I hate that I'm automatically slowed to a pseudo-shuffle when in camp or town, instead of being able to run. I hate that it's not left to my own choice whether I want to fast travel or not, instead I have to sit and watch cinematic views as I travel for 10 minutes on horseback for the 20th time down the same route (the option to voluntarily skip would be appreciated). Hunting is like a kick in the nuts, you can only nab one large and two small game at a time, and the rewards (monetary-wise) are lacklustre. Dead eye is a bitch to use, or maybe I've hosed it up, but every time I do it, I end up putting about 10 shots on a person, instead of being able to aim, place a crosshair where I want, and then shoot. It's made for some very weird playstyle on my behalf, I usually go around a person and then turn into their head to make sure I'm not wasting a tonne of bullets.

There's a bunch more little things that ruin the game for me but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

The positives of this game though outweigh the QoL issues. I fuckin love going into a store and seeing everything on display, and reading through the catalogues. It's 10/10

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Off the top of my head my suggested changes I'd make would be to the crime system to make self defence and minor crimes during fights not a crime.
I'd make there be some other way to get rid of bounties, maybe by threatening the dude who posted it it something.
And I'd make it so you can change the camera freely in cinematic mode or let you autorun outside it so I could travel in first person.

I'm starting to respect the intentional slowness but Otoh gently caress things like having to cook each bit of meat individually, that's just crass.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Yeah I noticed that with Dead Eye too. Either I'm doing it wrong or there's no way to choose what you shoot, so one guy will get painted up with 6 red X's and then it runs out before I can aim at anybody else.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ultimately the problem with RDR 2 is that the game is extremely good so often that the mistakes are all the more glaring. Little issues like the looting being a hold command AND a long animation, the crime system being kinda bad and no toggles for any of the immersion options would all be normally small things. But they are so much more glaring in a game that does so much right.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Amount of times some douchebag has pulled a gun on me and started shooting me in a town, and then I pull my own revolver out and gun him down. The lawmen finish shooting at the guy, then turn their guns on me. Hello? Are you fuckin stupid? So it turns out you're just meant to stand there and be a bullet sponge whilst the lawmen protect you. Just what.

And yeah looting / cooking is another thing that really rubs me the wrong way. After looting 50 cabinets, it gets old having to bumble around and slowly pick each thing up. The camping system was amazing the first time, the panorama in the background with the mountains and open plains was spectacular. Cooking my food over an open fire was brilliant. But after doing it a lot more since then, I wish there was an option to either bulk cook meals or skip the slow animations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

for better or worse this game is way of the samurai: cowboys and i love it

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cultural Marxist posted:

The specific gun and ability to equip a hatchet don’t unlock until certain points in the story.

I've got the camp and I reached the gun store in Valentine, or are we talking further?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

How nice of these pig farmers to invite Arthur in for some dinner and a few drinks!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
After slightly bumping someone and getting a bounty before I could defuse the situation, I decided to pause the game for now.

Symphony of the Night is out on PS4, if someone wants a responsive game with no button holding. Not sure which one has the better story, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm not seeing most of these issues people are talking about and it's kind of weird.

Like, if you instigate a fight and knock the dude out nobody bats an eye. You can even loot him afterwards and nobody cares.

I stood in the middle of Valentine and started shooting indiscriminately. Lawmen keep showing up in waves and even citizens will shoot at you and it's pretty hard to do it for long because the cock+shoot thing makes you slow as gently caress.

My only pet peeve this far is finding locked doors that I can't kick in.