Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Getting downed in a Rhino or a Nezha is almost as embarrassing as getting downed in a Valkyr, look, I was, uhh, my cat did a thing, and also I sneezed, it's not at all that I wasn't looking at my health while in possession of an invincibility button.

I wish the game had health, shield, energy and ammo counters near the aim point, HL2 (rip) had one for the ammo, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I would legit like to be able to have UI mods for this game.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

SIGSEGV posted:

Getting downed in a Rhino or a Nezha is almost as embarrassing as getting downed in a Valkyr, look, I was, uhh, my cat did a thing, and also I sneezed, it's not at all that I wasn't looking at my health while in possession of an invincibility button.

I wish the game had health, shield, energy and ammo counters near the aim point, HL2 (rip) had one for the ammo, IIRC.

Well, no better time than now to ask:

Do you just mod for efficency with Valkyr so that pressing 4 doesn't drain all of your energy in like five seconds, or is there some grand secret bullshit tech that I haven't stumbled upon while I've been leveling her?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
2 and 3 are her big go to buttons. 4 is only an "Escape from death/Refill health" button.

e; Aug Mod for 2 is really good as well. Never tried the mod for 3.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Do you just mod for efficency with Valkyr so that pressing 4 doesn't drain all of your energy in like five seconds, or is there some grand secret bullshit tech that I haven't stumbled upon while I've been leveling her?

Partly that, although the drain gets worse the longer you keep Hysteria up, so you can't keep it on all the time regardless.

The build I have on right now is mostly strength and efficiency, okay duration, and completely tanked range. Makes it a little hard to catch allies in Warcry, but ehh.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Sordas Volantyr posted:

You used to be able to go invincible death murder machine from start to finish, easily. DE nerfed it. So now you just go invincible only when you need health. The rest of the time either you ignore that you have powers (she has a ton of armor regardless) or you go melee with endless attack speed buff. She's good at what limited things she could do.

It was crazy back when Focus schools was 1.0. She was an invincible, INVISIBLE genocidal machine. Can't be killed, can't be detected, immune to everything, crazy dps with spin attack, forever.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

You can still keep valk's 4 active for a decent amount of time with a little efficiency and duration, that makes the drain from keeping it active not all that taxing.

Early on building Valk for her 4 is fine, you can just slide attack and absolutely tear through everything. Of all the bosses that can be hit Valk's melee, my experience tells me that that is one of the fastest way to kill them. Mutalist Alad V is a fuckin chump when faced with a single Valk Hysteria slide attack.

Later on though, you'll want to pick up the Endless War augment, making her warcry extend it's duration for every enemy killed via melee. This is an attack speed buff that you can share with allies and their timers go up as yours goes up. You can cast Hysteria on top of/after Warcry and jesus loving christ if you want a melee frame that's the way to go. Valk and Volt and Rhino are melee party as gently caress and each of them are equally as critical.

You can safely dump range with corrupted mods if you have them. Valk doesn't really need a lot of power strength but you will definitely notice it the more you stack. Go for strength then efficiency and duration if you can, otherwise if you're going for using Hysteria very frequently you might want to stack more towards efficiency and duration. Pretty sure I'm not really pumping duration but that's because I only use Valk's 4 for healing myself and saying 'gently caress this unit in particular for not taking damage from what I'm packing, claw time.' Keeping Warcry active with it's augment is very easy even with low duration.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with rage and life strike you never need to use valkyr's 4. if you use a status weapon including condition overload builds, healing return works fine too and you don't need rage.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That's probably really good advice for people building up a Valk, people who have those mods, and who also don't have tenno school trees unlocked and filled out.

I'd never use Life Strike with Valk because Hysteria and Magus elevate exist, freeing up that slot for more damage of any sort. Same for healing return. And if you're going Warcry or even Warcry/Hysteria Valk then the Zenurik bubble is more than enough as long as you don't want to be in hysteria the entire time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Just while we're talking about modding, I get the impression that modding frames for umbral anything isn't really worth the costs, am I right or just not mainlining enough forma?

I have my valkyr p set up to use umbrals and she feels a little subpar? I know they give me a little extra survivability and that I should never look down on more armour, but it just feels like umbral frame mods only belong on Umbra.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Umbral to me is something you use when you just have the space for it. Like I'm not gonna forma to fit it but if I have 4-5 capacity free after formaing for other stuff I'll swap intensify for umbral intensify.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

I dont get the spearguns at all. Are they junk or am I missing something?

Psion posted:

one of them is useful for Stargate SG-1 cosplay, but even in the show they dunked on the staff weapons as being kind of poo poo at their job and DE faithfully recreated that

Captainicus posted:

The damage numbers on them are lacking, the scourge especially. The Ferrox and Javlok both have a delay of about 1/3 of a second on clicking before firing. I love the style of them, but they aren't very good without rivens or if you dislike the delay on firing.

So I'm one of those people emotionally invested in a weapon (in this case, the Scourge). It's not perfect but it's a very underestimated weapon and gets way more hate than it should. I fell in love with it after getting a very good riven for it. First off, I admit that you kinda need a riven for the weapon to work, but they're usually super cheap. Also gently caress the spear throw attack, never use it (though it's useful for Chroma self damage if you don't want to dedicate a secondary or melee for that).

Now, one of the things that most people don't realize about the Scourge is that it allows for a very unusual and stupidly powerful element combination, Gas+Corrosive. Another thing is that for explosive weapons, the bullet and the explosion can trigger separate procs, which effectively doubles your corrosive proc ratio. Splash damage can also hit multiple enemies and trigger gas proc AoEs on several enemies at once. The constant armor stripping of the corrosive procs increases the Toxic damage over time procs and you can get something like an AoE viral+slash for melting large enemy groups or elites alike. The name of the game in warframe is kills per second, not damage per second and boy, does this weapon kill many things at once fast.

I have this build that turns the scourge into a rapid fire energy shotgun and constantly gets me top kills in sortie content with Mirage:

For some reason the energy pellets are insanely huge and the hitbox is even bigger than the pellets, not to mention the extra splash damage radius. So heavy caliber makes the shots spread and you can hit a ton of enemies at once without needing to aim. It's even better with Hall of mirrors since a you can hit where you're aiming with the doppelgangers due to the spread. 230% multishot allows me to consistently fire 3-4 bullets for 8 guaranteed procs at once. The damage of this build usually melts big groups of level 100+ non elite mobs in one shot and can kill any elite with a single mag.

This build+Mirage is ridiculously fun and effective, I really recommend trying the scourge out with that build even without a riven, especially if you hate aiming. Here's a demonstration with level 120 Heavy gunners:

https://i.imgur.com/7SpyP4X.gifv

nerdz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 27, 2018

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
corrosive gas sounds painful

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

NextTime000 posted:

corrosive gas sounds painful

this new diet pill will literally melt the fat from your body!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nerdz posted:

This build+Mirage is ridiculously fun and effective, I really recommend trying the scourge out with that build even without a riven, especially if you hate aiming. Here's a demonstration with level 120 Heavy gunners:

i gotta give you credit, that looks pretty good. Not sure I want to invest that much into a staff but at least I know I could!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Psion posted:

you can punch the ghosts

it just takes a while

You can bullet jump them to death too

I got the kill 3 in ten seconds challenge that way

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SIGSEGV posted:

Just while we're talking about modding, I get the impression that modding frames for umbral anything isn't really worth the costs, am I right or just not mainlining enough forma?
It tends to be something you do to boost a little extra power from a frame if you have the mod space and the frame benefits from the extra stats.

For example, Rhino is a great candidate because Iron Skin scales off your power strength and armour. If you add vitality for the set boost it makes Iron Skin practically invincible, even at sortie 3 level, and the extra Vitality & Fiber gives you time to react even if Iron Skin collapses (or is negated) in the middle of a clusterfuck.

Nidus is another good umbral candidate because he has no shields, so he really benefits from the Vitality & Fiber for survivability, and each stack benefits from Intensify. The maggots from his 4 pretty much instakill everything when detonated.

Compare that to a frame like Ember, where you're better off boosting range over strength, 4 is far more useful as CC with the syndicate mod, and there's not much health and armour to boost in the first place. Loki is another good example where strength is a dump stat and you want to mod for as much duration as humanly possible so that you don't even need health or armour.

Not every frame is going to need or even really benefit from Umbra, especially when you consider that forma-ing every other slot to make all 3 fit removes any build flexibility.

It depends really. I'd say look at the frame, and if it has good base armour and benefits from ability strength, stick an umbra on it. Otherwise the mod space you take up might be better used for syndicate / range / energy mods.

Unbral Intensify is also sometimes worth making space for on its own, since it gives a 50% power boost fully upgraded over the 25% from normal Intensify. It gets more effective as a set with Umbral Vitality, most frames benefit from extra health, and it only costs 2 points more than base vitality.

IMHO the only reason to use base vitality over Umbral is if the frame has a D polarity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
umbral builds can be quite strong, but umbral mods are obviously part of an incomplete system de is still working on. what are they gonna do with them? i doubt even de knows at this point. it just seems like a lot of effort for a build that may or may not still work when the next main story quest comes along.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
What's up with kubrows? I got one via the mission....got him to lvl 30. I pet him and he seems....meh?
I don't let him die but I don't get them as a companion vs the other options
Is there a way to breed super kubrows via growing others and basically making them Prime kubrows?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I got a 75% off coupon so I splurged a bit and now I have over 2000 plat and I bought the last bits of Saryn Prime, so she's cooking... and I'm legit excited. Saryn is the best. Saryn Prime is Saryn but better-ish. I look forward to murdering entire maps even harder, now that I can justify dumping formas into her non-stop.

I just got a Scourge riven the other night. It's garbage, but I may try that build out to have a crazy acid gas shotgun...

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 27, 2018

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

What's up with kubrows? I got one via the mission....got him to lvl 30. I pet him and he seems....meh?
I don't let him die but I don't get them as a companion vs the other options
Is there a way to breed super kubrows via growing others and basically making them Prime kubrows?

Each Kubrow (and Kavat) has its own gimmick ability or specialization. Digdog (Sahasa), for example, will constantly dig up items, whereas a Stealthdog (Huras) can cloak you periodically and has a unique lunge attack. Certain mods only affect dogs and cattes, so like "Scavange" will allow them to open lockers which a sentinel can't do. It's generally a matter of preference. With all the health-link and damage mods you can put on a dog, they can get pretty powerful. Personally, I like the luck-kavat (Smeeta) for leveling since it'll periodically give you an affinity booster for two minutes, and I use sentinels for everything else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dog vacuum isn't in yet, correct?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If the other pets had ways to make you completely invulnerable or clear a room by themselves in 5 seconds I'd probably still bring the smeeta with me for most things just because of randomly doubling my resources and affinity, sometimes quadrupling when lucky.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dog vacuum isn't in yet, correct?

I think that is coming along with Fortuna?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd probably still bring the smeeta with me for most things just because of randomly doubling my resources and affinity, sometimes quadrupling when lucky.
I think smeeta is probably the reason fetch is finally happening, it makes no sense to have a kitty that generates so much loot, but then you have to go pick it up yourself.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

SIGSEGV posted:

I managed to get umbral vitality and intensify on my Chroma and a giant health pool with +957% damage vex armor is pretty fuckin' awesome. I don't think umbral builds are for every frame but they can turn some into real monsters.

Umbral Inaros is another example of going from "jfc im invincible" to "JFC IM INVINCIBLE"

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 27, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, and never switch to v polarity aura just so you can get more mod points for your umbral build. corpro is still better than any min-maxing you care to do.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
drat, I'm gonna have to get a Smeeta that doesn't look derpy once pet vacuum is a thing...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, and never switch to v polarity aura just so you can get more mod points for your umbral build. corpro is still better than any min-maxing you care to do.
it's good to see that the goon overreliance on corpro hasn't changed

Magus42 posted:

drat, I'm gonna have to get a Smeeta that doesn't look derpy
I don't think those exist mang

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yes, "overreliance" on the mathematically best option in the game. :rolleyes:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm liking Zephyr Prime as I look like Kain Highwind and the high winds around my body keep the bullets from hitting me at all!

(put in actual spears with an actual poking spear moveset already DE aaaaagh)

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
So I recently downloaded this game after playing it for half an hour when it first came out in 2013. I think The Mittani had a link to it back when I played EVE. I was reading about it a few days ago and decided to give it another shot. I guess because I played back in the day, my frame is a Loki even though it isn't one of the starter frames. I'm having a lot of fun in the tutorials, so gonna try to stick with this for a little while.

I put an invite into the goon guild, but I'm a filthy casual, so if the overflow clan is where the filthy casuals go, no worries.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Moral_Hazard posted:

So I recently downloaded this game after playing it for half an hour when it first came out in 2013. I think The Mittani had a link to it back when I played EVE. I was reading about it a few days ago and decided to give it another shot. I guess because I played back in the day, my frame is a Loki even though it isn't one of the starter frames. I'm having a lot of fun in the tutorials, so gonna try to stick with this for a little while.

I put an invite into the goon guild, but I'm a filthy casual, so if the overflow clan is where the filthy casuals go, no worries.

Corrosive Projection is our Rifter and the Clan is happy to give you one for free, just ask in clan or alliance chat

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, "overreliance" on the mathematically best option in the game. :rolleyes:

typical goons wanting to shoot things once instead of twenty times :rolleyes:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I'll never understand what the goon obsession is with wanting to shoot twenty things once as opposed to one thing twenty times. What weirdos, am I right fellas :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what horrendous mod loadouts do you all have to need to shoot something 20 times

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
not corpro

also i would never exaggerate. my figures are based on rigorous and scientifically sound methods.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
The context here that seems to be regularly missed by some people on both sides is the mandatory nature of corpro is strictly within end-game missions where armor values skyrocket.

When you're cruising around the star map and such, corpro is not even remotely mandatory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Magus42 posted:

The context here that seems to be regularly missed by some people on both sides is the mandatory nature of corpro is strictly within end-game missions where armor values skyrocket.

When you're cruising around the star map and such, corpro is not even remotely mandatory.
Is it still pretty good? Because I have poo poo for auras and if Corpro is more useful than "draw gun faster" then I might as well come in and get me one later. How does that work anyway - you'd have to go to the Dojo or a Relay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There are frames that can handle endgame content without Corpro, such as chromatic blade excal. By all means, do not use corpro on those. In the same vein, never play those frames in groups because you will make the guys who do need corpro to have fun miserable. If you're gonna play a selfish frame, then just play solo. Very little in this game is genuinely hard enough that you can't solo it.

The sole exception to this rule is Oberon. Oberon doesn't give a poo poo about anyone's auras because if you're playing your Oberon right nothing in the tile has armor anyway.

This has been yet another entry in corpro chat: the recorroding