Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone messed with the RDR2 audio setting about normalizing the dialogue vs fx volume? What exactly does it do? I didn’t have enough time to mess with it yesterday. My only issue with the game is that the sound has too good of dynamic range and it’s tough to play when people in the house are sleeping.

Have you heard of this new invention called ... headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
dont get these rdr2 complaints from people who claim to have played games before. (from whole internet) dont get how people are finding the controls sluggish unless that means they've been playing nothing but 60fps games for past 20 years.

some of the button combos are abit clubbersome sure, but once you know whats what its fine... base ps4 runs and looks great. 30fps is fine. i dont get it. is my brain hosed? i am having fun.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Doctor Zero posted:

Have you heard of this new invention called ... headphones?

No, what’s that?

My soundbar will always sound better and typically my my gf can nap through most sound but not when the dialogue is a reasonable volume and the wolves/explosions/gunshots are rib cage rattling.

Vikar Jerome posted:

dont get these rdr2 complaints from people who claim to have played games before (from whole internet). dont get how people are finding the controls sluggish unless that means they've been playing nothing but 60fps games for past 20 years.

some of the button combos are abit clubbersome sure, but once you know whats what its fine... base ps4 runs and looks great. 30fps is fine. i dont get it. is my brain hosed? i am having fun.

Yeah I don’t get it either at all but :shrug: I think The Witcher 3 feels great too though. Same with Bloodborne. Not every game needs to be an instant response 60 fps action game full of animations that can be cancelled anytime you want.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 27, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^KD wtf man? Have you ever used a decent pair of headphones? You do you but there's no way your soundbar sounds better than a moderately priced pair of Sennheisers, especially if circumstances force you to play at low volume. Playing on a set of headphones has made me learn to appreciate sound design in games so much more.^

The default settings for aiming deadzone/sensitivity are straight up trash and it's kinda lovely. Also yeah you don't have to have been playing nothing but 60+ games for years to feel like 30 sucks. Playing GTAV running on a decent PC at 60 or more fps is revelatory compared to the console versions. It's a pretty incredible looking game and I have no doubt I'll sink a ton of time into it but the complaints about sluggishness/lack of responsiveness are pretty appropriate criticisms imo.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 27, 2018

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I know it sounds like I'm bagging on HK but I really like it. There's just not a single boss fight that I've fought so far besides the poo ball crusader and the mantis leaders that has really peaked my interest, and I just generally feel like the combat within the scope of the boss encounters at least isn't all that fun.

The environments themselves are beautiful and nuanced and are designed to encourage exploration using skills, but they don't really vary in the way the 2D castlevanias do. It's hard to describe. There's just a sort of emptiness to them. Like the characters you meet along the way are really cool and interesting, but I'm struggling to remember any details from the environments themselves. I haven't played the DLC so I can't say if things start getting more distinct. This in contrast to SotN, which is a much shorter game, but manages within that time to juxtapose some incredibly iconic areas that have stuck with me for like 2 decades (colliseum, royal chapel, clock tower, marble gallery) both in terms of visuals AND music. And the desire to explore those areas is bolstered by the literally hundreds of crazy rear end items that are in the game.

Fair enough. I feel like that emptiness of Hollow Knight is on purpose and I like how solitary it feels. And I get what you're saying about the saminess of the environments but I tend to remember each area more by the type of enemy that inhabits them.

I've always bounced off of Castlevanias unfortunately, I'm not really sure why that is. Never tried SotN though, so I'll probably pick that up at some point next year.

Most importantly, my original point of Sundered is a bad game still stands.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrNutt posted:

^KD wtf man? Have you ever used a decent pair of headphones? You do you but there's no way your soundbar sounds better than a moderately priced pair of Sennheisers, especially if circumstances force you to play at low volume. Playing on a set of headphones has made me learn to appreciate sound design in games so much more.^

I have extremely good pricey Denons, gently caress with music production/am writing an ep, am a total sound design nerd, own PlayStation Golds. Don’t get me wrong I like headphones! I just prefer sitting in a recliner without something on my head while embracing my cowboy fantasies. My initial question was just wondering about that setting and if it seems to work well. When I tried it I didn’t notice a difference but I was in an area without loud noises.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have extremely good pricey Denons, gently caress with music production/am writing an ep, am a total sound design nerd, own PlayStation Golds. Don’t get me wrong I like headphones! I just prefer sitting in a recliner without something on my head while embracing my cowboy fantasies. My initial question was just wondering about that setting and if it seems to work well. When I tried it I didn’t notice a difference but I was in an area without loud noises.

Oh phew thank goodness.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vikar Jerome posted:

dont get these rdr2 complaints from people who claim to have played games before. (from whole internet) dont get how people are finding the controls sluggish unless that means they've been playing nothing but 60fps games for past 20 years.

It was mostly the aiming that needed some tweeking with the controls, felt like there was some serious input lag. After getting out of the snow area, movement feels less sluggish. I think it also might be all the minute details in character animations that add to a slower feeling of movement within the game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrNutt posted:

Oh phew thank goodness.

Don’t worry my dude, deep down I am an insufferable audiophile who spends hours a week referencing reverb pedals with studio monitor headphones lmao.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kilometers Davis posted:

Something I’ve thought about is that this is the first open world game since BotW where I love simply walking around aimlessly not even looking for anything.

Good enough for me!

I've been pining for another BoTW experience but you can only get that once out of one game.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

What's the verdict on Hidden Agenda? I really, really liked Until Dawn--like, a lot--but when I read about HA the multiplayer aspect seems very offputting. Is it worth playing anyway or is it just going to disappoint me?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pipski posted:

What's the verdict on Hidden Agenda? I really, really liked Until Dawn--like, a lot--but when I read about HA the multiplayer aspect seems very offputting. Is it worth playing anyway or is it just going to disappoint me?

It'll just disappoint.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pipski posted:

It's really bad. Very low budget, you can tell they didn't have a lot to work with because everything's shot super close up and you never get a good look at any environments. The play method is very finicky and poorly utilized, but that might be me using the phone app you're required to use to play the game on a very old smartphone. The story is kind of interesting, and it can take some fun twists, but it's very short and not well put together.

If you want more games like Until Dawn, just hold onto your hat because those guys are making a series of new games just like it called "The Dark Pictures Anthology." The first game, Man of Medan, comes out on PC/PS4/XB1 next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nOQ8kso6RQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Normally I respect it when game studios branch out into other stuff but in the case of Supermassive I'm glad they're finally coming back to making more Until Dawn games.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Okay, thanks guys. I will keep my powder dry for now, in that case.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I'm enjoying it but the gunplay and poo poo is extremely rockstar which is to say it's not the best (to me anyway). Also little annoying things like the horse correcting itself into a tree so you stack but that's just hard luck pardner.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I tried to walk up to the edge of a cliff. My man kept walking and didnt stop when I stopped inputting a forward command. He fell off the cliff and died.

The controls are poo poo, and they dont serve immersion, unless a rugged cowboy man accidently falling off a cliff cause he cant walk good is your immersion.

It's over animated and sluggish in the same way The Last Guardian is. You input a command and theres a delay and then maybe it happens. Its loving weird and that article described it as controlling an actor not playing a character. It's not a deal breaker, but I dont like it.

Its doesnt have to be a twitch shooter, it does have to be simple to walk into the ridge stop to pet my horse.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think it might be because I'm a peasant and still only have a 37" TV but are other people finding it hard to see poo poo in RDR2? I usually turn autoaim off in Rockstar games but I've left it on just because quickscoping in a general direction has sometimes been the only way I can find whoever's shooting at me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I think it might be because I'm a peasant and still only have a 37" TV but are other people finding it hard to see poo poo in RDR2? I usually turn autoaim off in Rockstar games but I've left it on just because quickscoping in a general direction has sometimes been the only way I can find whoever's shooting at me.

there's too much detail in the environments and the enemies all wear clothes that are primarily dirt-colored

i've had to use my minimap to see them more than once

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

there's too much detail in the environments and the enemies all wear clothes that are primarily dirt-colored

i've had to use my minimap to see them more than once

They also dont do a modern game thing like putting a marker over peoples heads when you spot them. Which games with a lot of detail did in recent years to combat this problem.

That's not a value statement.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
What made Max Payne 3 work is that most of the time you're up close and personal with the enemies. How's RDR in that regard? Do you spend most of the time taking pot shots at enemies far away?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

So the answer to my question from before is yes, they abdicated the responsibility to make the aiming good themselves, same as in GTA5.

It could be a lot worse, Uncharted 3 famously hosed up the aiming so bad from Uncharted 2 they had to get help from people who were really good at Uncharted 2's multiplayer to add a patch to Uncharted 3 that added back in "legacy" aiming or whateve

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Renoistic posted:

What made Max Payne 3 work is that most of the time you're up close and personal with the enemies. How's RDR in that regard? Do you spend most of the time taking pot shots at enemies far away?

The start is lots of woods areas where you dont have infinite site lines so yeah. I've seen but dont have a scooped rifle.

Yeah. And the dead eye sepia overlay contrast makes it easy to spot people. It's hard to see people before they are shooting. But of course they see you fine.

It's fine right now but I might be annoyed in 50 hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Good news 2-Weebs, she's the next guest character announced for Soul Calibur 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35H8A4wO5jw

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

exquisite tea posted:

Normally I respect it when game studios branch out into other stuff but in the case of Supermassive I'm glad they're finally coming back to making more Until Dawn games.
That Eurogamer article on Bravo Team is devastating and worth a read.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Renoistic posted:

no, most of the time you are riding somewhere
or talking with somebody
or talking with somebody while you ride somewhere

is a sim-sim game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

You're missing the most important part; You also get an Emil mask for character customization! :magical:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Tei posted:

no, most of the time you are riding somewhere
or talking with somebody
or talking with somebody while you ride somewhere

is a sim-sim game

So, like the original. I'll wait for a discount in three years :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

oh my god oh my god oh my goddddd

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Can't even see if they got her booty right and they expect me to pay money for this???

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a Soul Calibur game, rear end and tiddays are what they spend the most time animating.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

I tried to walk up to the edge of a cliff. My man kept walking and didnt stop when I stopped inputting a forward command. He fell off the cliff and died.

The controls are poo poo, and they dont serve immersion, unless a rugged cowboy man accidently falling off a cliff cause he cant walk good is your immersion.

It's over animated and sluggish in the same way The Last Guardian is. You input a command and theres a delay and then maybe it happens. Its loving weird and that article described it as controlling an actor not playing a character. It's not a deal breaker, but I dont like it.

Its doesnt have to be a twitch shooter, it does have to be simple to walk into the ridge stop to pet my horse.

see, i havent had that and i've walked up to the cliffs and been fine and didnt notice any weird delay poo poo like that which is why i'm confused as hell as why its happening for other people and i havent changed a single setting other than gps and radar to off.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Damnit...I knew I'll end up buying the season pass.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RichterIX posted:

im on a 110 inch projector screen sitting 4/5 feet away and sometimes i cant even see where the shots are coming from so its not just you. the bad cowboys all got a high camo index.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

beep by grandpa posted:

Can't even see if they got her booty right and they expect me to pay money for this???

SC6 is an extremely horny game for extremely horny gamers. Have no fear my friend.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Curious if other PS4 titans, God of War, Persona 5, Horizon 0 Dawn, and Marvel's Spider-Man will also get added in to the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kilometers Davis posted:

SC6 is an extremely horny game for extremely horny gamers. Have no fear my friend.
When people were clamoring for 2B to be in SCVI my first thought was "It seems like a good fit. Both games have clothing destruction mechanics, after all"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kratos was in that Soul Calibur mobile game, wasn't he? Aloy just got a promotional appearance in a Capcom game, so that seems unlikely. Before 2B was announced Okube said that the first season pass would have at least "one other guest" besides Geralt so I'm inclined to think the next two characters will be from the classic roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

i havent changed a single setting other than gps and radar to off.
I don't see how the game is playable like this; I turned the radar to compass at the start (so not even off) and then someone told me to do something in "the cabin to the left" and like... there were a few cabins to the left so I had to run in and out of all of them while characters got annoyed that I took so long. Then later I had to "go to the cabin" but there's like 10 so I went to the one that the cutscene started me facing and nothing happened, so I turned the radar up from compass and yeah there was a marker for me to go to in some fucken random rear end cabin.

Game doesn't seem particularly tuned to playing with that stuff turned off, at least at the beginning of the game.