Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chill la Chill posted:

There can’t really be any tournament scene for osprey’s Games because there’s no real incentive to keep huge stock and game nights for their games. It’s too bad since you can play them with anything but an LGS gets maybe one sale from a rulebook and maybe some models for their other games. Takes a lot of money to get really attached to a certain game, like we’ve seen here.

Do you mean it takes a lot of money to get attached to a certain game from a store perspective? Because as a consumer what I like about Osprey Games (or at least Frostgrave, which I SWEAR I WILL ACTUALLY PLAY SOME DAY) is that you can play it with whatever minis you have on hand. The issue I have with getting into games (and getting friends into games) is just time.

e: bad snype. Someone save me by posting some works-in-progress or something.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Seriously though, if you think the DA joke was mean spirited at its inception you're thick as pigshit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

grassy gnoll posted:

How fortunate that hams have neither quality.

Man you are gross

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Seriously though, if you think the DA joke was mean spirited at its inception you're thick as pigshit.

I dunno man, homophobic jokes from the mid 1980s are almost always references to great poets exploring the anguish and shame of being closeted and the yearning to live out in the open. Extremely homophobic to frame things like that, for sure. I can’t think of any other kinds of mid-80s homophobia.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is all true but nevertheless we have a decent sized Gaslands community in Austin and I'm sure there are others out there. It's just the kind of game where you have to get on facebook or whatever and arrange a game in advance rather than wander into a store on "Gaslands night"

That owns. I suppose it’s like cultivating a regular 18xx or Catan (bleh, but whatever) board game group

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, for its time it's just an affectionate homage really.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I dunno man, homophobic jokes from the mid 1980s are almost always references to great poets exploring the anguish and shame of being closeted and the yearning to live out in the open. Extremely homophobic to frame things like that, for sure. I can’t think of any other kinds of mid-80s homophobia.
The stand-up comedy acts of Eddie Murphy, Andrew "Dice" Clay, and Sam Kinnison were just chock full of coded references to minor Victorian poets, it's true.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Regardless of intent, "Look at these closeted whoopsies tee hee" isn't a terribly nice thing to say no matter when you said it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Regardless of intent, "Look at these closeted whoopsies tee hee" isn't a terribly nice thing to say no matter when you said it.

I mean this is the sort of thing that's easier to say in retrospect, now that times changed and we can look at things more clearly. For its time though it's rather benign.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am sure there were a non zero amount of people who played Dark Angels exactly because they understood the coded gay symbolism back then. Any representation at all is a precious thing in that Era, not that it isn't now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am sure there were a non zero amount of people who played Dark Angels exactly because they understood the coded gay symbolism back then. Any representation at all is a precious thing in that Era, not that it isn't now.

Thank you, that's the context I needed.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Judging by how you’re framing this I’m gonna assume you’re straight. Sorry if I’m wrong.

Personally, as a mostly-straight-but-definitely-not-entirely-straight, I really like the old DA fluff? There’s so much shame associated with your feelings that it’s kinda cool to frame them like some galaxy-spanning conspiratorial secret maintained by strategic genius badasses, and it’s REALLY cool to see them being framed that way in an era where queer visibility meant “limp wristed javelin chucker from revenge of the nerds” or “loving al Pacino in cruising.”

In TYOOL 2018 we tend to just view queer representation as “out and proud,” but it’s not weird or gross or homophobic to explore being gay and not being out of the closet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be sure, the fact that one of the biggest signal boosters for 40k on the internet was fuckin 4chan means that some things can get lost in translation.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

grassy gnoll posted:

Seeing it as "Look at these closeted whoopsies tee hee" does, and always did, say more about the person with that reaction than it did about the source material.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Seeing it as "Look at these closeted whoopsies tee hee" does, and always did, say more about the person with that reaction than it did about the source material.

Really odd, really strange that everyone who seems most invested in proving that GW IS ACTUALLY JUST AS BAD AS ANIME TITGAME inevitably ends up saying something :yikes: about women, queer people or social justice warriors.

Wonder why that is.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Because two years ago it was really easy to point to actual legitimate business blunders that had cost GW but they've since corrected course and are making hand over fist and it isn't enough for most people who dislike GW for whatever reason to be satisfied with "I'm not the intended customer for their products".

This is the mother loving Death Thread. Don't worship any company or run to the defense of titty miniatures with a lame as hell "whataboutthem" argument. GW has a questionable history but also has taken poo poo to fix it. It's hard to hold them accountable for the mistakes of 30 years ago when they've taken steps to improve their image and product, especially not when young companies are making the same or worse mistakes today and don't seem at all phased by them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Imagine a world where you can like a thing, while also being critical about it's shittier aspects and understanding when said aspects put people off from that piece of media.

Then imagine throwing all that in the trash and screaming about the dirty liberal arts swidges coming to take your tiddy minis away.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll take the L and admit my take on the Dark Angels was pretty hot, sorry bout that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Warm? Above room temperature.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
This thread is some ycs level console war embarrassing bullshit lol

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Moola posted:

This thread is some ycs level console war embarrassing bullshit lol

Yeah it was much better when it was about scrunts and possums and people thinking your gimmick wasn’t pathetic.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Those GW fanboys are harming the famously quality Death Thread posting

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Pendent posted:

Those GW fanboys are harming the famously quality Death Thread posting

Wouldn’t it be incredibly cool if jojo was a skull?! Gundam model are f*cking epic! The mons pubis of my most recent one has three different molded colors and an inbuilt drainage system so I don’t have to clean it between uses any more. I hope leperflesh posts a 10,000 word pwnz0r of GW soon, he’s so good!!! I have an unironic anime avatar and no IRL friends.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
jesus christ

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

jesus christ

Hi Moola, what’s your Halloween costume gonna be this year?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Hi Moola, what’s your Halloween costume gonna be this year?

I'm focusing more on my new dog's costume

I thinking maybe a count Dracula outfit if I can find one, because it will look hilarious on her

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

I thinking maybe a count Dracula outfit if I can find one, because it will look hilarious on her

I’ve been trying to get my cat to wear a hat but I don’t think it’s happening

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Moola posted:

Count Dogula

submit reply

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LeSquide posted:

Count Dogula

submit reply

noice

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Was The Rock being a gay club back in the day actually confirmed? Because that's feels super made up

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am very gay for The Rock

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Was The Rock being a gay club back in the day actually confirmed? Because that's feels super made up

Gay man in Nottingham, have spoken to several people who were gay and around in the 80s. It's totally made up.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Gay man in Nottingham, have spoken to several people who were gay and around in the 80s. It's totally made up.

It did feel like a 4chan meme, good to know.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There is a famous Nottingham venue called Rock City but it isn't a gay bar. It is exactly the kind of place 80s GW writers would have frequented though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I am very gay for The Rock

preferred attitude era Rock personally

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

It's not gay to love The Rock. It's as human as breathing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

hey guys here's a wip picture of my armymen since others have posted theirs

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Tekopo posted:

hey guys here's a wip picture of my armymen since others have posted theirs

Thin your paints scrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

richyp posted:

Thin your paints scrub.
it'll look better when I ink them