Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Khablam posted:

Gonna guess the same place they've been since AR was first demo'd working well in ... 2008?

They look awesome fun from a 3rd person perspective in a presentation, but in person you're just waving your phone about the room staring at a small picture on a small picture.
There's not really a gaming use case.

Oh, no.. I get the reality of it. Just saying, they kinda made it a part of the keynote and then... went dead silent on it. Woulda been nice to have at least gotten a good tech-demo-y game out of it that was Apple approved, kinda like how previous launches had that loving Sword game I now can't even remember the name of...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Feenix posted:

Oh, no.. I get the reality of it. Just saying, they kinda made it a part of the keynote and then... went dead silent on it. Woulda been nice to have at least gotten a good tech-demo-y game out of it that was Apple approved, kinda like how previous launches had that loving Sword game I now can't even remember the name of...
Fairly sure every game they show in one of those things is just about to be released, so whichever one took your fancy probably exists somewhere in irrelevance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, just like search for AR games in the app store, and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of crap you'll try out once and never bother with again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think the game they showed was some kind of Galaga AR game, which looked like it might be worth loving around with for 10-15 minutes. But I don’t think it’s out yet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
XR screen is smaller than I thought, width wise. Going from a 6+ to a XR screen is definitely a little smaller in width, though longer in length.

Plus the thicker bezel makes it even smaller.

Might exchange for a Max instead.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

The XR is a 6.1 vs 6.2 for the 8 Plus.

Right but the XR is quite a bit taller so if you are used to typing on the wider keyboard on a Plus the XR will take some getting used to.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
edit: nevermind

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I thought the X didn’t stand for 10? Sprint’s new commercials are calling it a TenR.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

I think you don't? It moves a bit, but unlike something like ScanBot, you manually take the photo. I think it's just squirrely by nature.

Does it do OCR like the paid version of ScanBot? (or is that paid now in ScanBot?)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I thought the X didn’t stand for 10? Sprint’s new commercials are calling it a TenR.

It does.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually it's the "iPhone Excess"

rio
Mar 20, 2008

withak posted:

Actually it's the "iPhone Excess"

That’s actually really funny if they are saying 10 S because it sounds like excess. Pretty appropriate name too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No they are saying Ten S because it is the iPhone 10, just like OS X was OS 10.

Though most of us figured Apple wouldn't release an 'Xs' because of 'excess', suppose Apple just doesn't care

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone else no longer seeing IAP prices in the App Store?

I’m on an iPhone SE, ios 12.0.1

It only started yesterday for me, but I don’t use the App Store much in general

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Is there a way to script a shortcut that will automatically connect to my car Bluetooth adapter when I hit it ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Seeing the XR for the first time today, I wouldn’t buy it, the XS/Max screen are just better, more than the resolution the bezel on the XR looks weird to me. It’s also just a bit chunkier.

That being said, it’ll be the best selling iPhone long term just based on value for price. Decent price, and good screen, camera (I’m assuming the camera is solid), and power for just much cheaper than the XS and XS Max.

I think people will either buy the XR, or they’ll buy the XS Max, and it’ll probably greatly reduce the XS and 8+ sales.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I bought an XR. It’s good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Seeing the XR for the first time today, I wouldn’t buy it, the XS/Max screen are just better, more than the resolution the bezel on the XR looks weird to me. It’s also just a bit chunkier.

That being said, it’ll be the best selling iPhone long term just based on value for price. Decent price, and good screen, camera (I’m assuming the camera is solid), and power for just much cheaper than the XS and XS Max.

I think people will either buy the XR, or they’ll buy the XS Max, and it’ll probably greatly reduce the XS and 8+ sales.

The XR has the same wide-angle lens as the XS. It just doesn't have the 2x lens. And it takes a demonstrably better low-light photo in portrait mode.

The low-light portrait thing with the XS/Max is disappointing, but low-light non-portrait photos look good so I'm not super concerned.

Also, agree on the screen. I can never get a non-OLED screen after this.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 27, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, agree on the screen. I can never get a non-OLED screen after this.

I can’t wait for the $1899 OLED 10.5 iPad Pro.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can’t wait for the $1899 OLED 10.5 iPad Pro.

Yeah.

I'll probably buy it, too.

:negative:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah.

I'll probably buy it, too.

:negative:

The iPad Air 2 is still baller as hell with iOS 12. It feels like a new device. Don’t spend a used car down payment on an iPad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My wife got the XR and my first reaction was the screen was way better than I was expecting it to be. I love the OLED but the casual/common user is never going to notice much of a difference.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

My wife got the XR and my first reaction was the screen was way better than I was expecting it to be. I love the OLED but the casual/common user is never going to notice much of a difference.

It's fine. I played with one at the Apple store last night. If the screen is lesser quality than the 8 then it's not readily apparent and it more than made up by the fact there's so much screen on the phone. The rounded corners and consistent bezel (with no big chins) looks great. This iPhone looks better than any of the 6, 7, 8 form factors and gives 5 a run for its money.

I really liked the yellow. If my wife decides to upgrade her phone I may have to consider giving her my X and going for a mustard Xr. never, OLED for life

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don’t spend a used car down payment on an iPad.

I've been using these comparisons a lot lately.

new iPhone + Apple Care:

- several car payments
- MacBook
- 2080ti
- 4 day trip to not-the-Apple-store
- major car maintenance

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

azzenco posted:

new iPhone + Apple Care:

- several car payments
- MacBook
- 2080ti
- major car maintenance

:same:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Guys, Face ID is magic. It’s absolutely wild how well this works.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Ic

azzenco posted:

new iPhone + Apple Care:

- several car payments
- MacBook
- 2080ti
- major car maintenance

Everyday I'm thankful I live in a city with great public transport. Cars are a horrible money sink.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

buglord posted:

If you're white it's magic, if you are dark skinned it works just most of the time.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

buglord posted:

Until you have to pay for something with Apple Pay or install an app or you’re just laying in bed. Then it’s slightly worse to actual worse than TouchID.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Until you have to pay for something with Apple Pay or install an app or you’re just laying in bed. Then it’s slightly worse to actual worse than TouchID.

FaceID is magic because it forces you to keep those mad fast PIN code skillz you learned back before TouchID.

Apple Pay is awkward. But Apple will make it less awkward with a brand new Apple Watch!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

azzenco posted:

new iPhone + Apple Care:

- several car payments
- MacBook
- 2080ti
- major car maintenance

This reminded me I need to schedule an oil change.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
"BUT ITS [X] CAR PAYMENTS, have you considered the ipad Mini instead? It kills with IOS 12 bro, whole new device"

Ever since phones hit 1 grand, one of these fuckers jumps out from behind the tall grass whenever someone mentions an expensive apple thing.

Yeah, people can afford different stuff, thank you for bringing up this useless comparison, ad nauseam, forever

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
But also saving $250 on the XR is a stupid financial decision.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Taima posted:

"BUT ITS [X] CAR PAYMENTS, have you considered the ipad Mini instead? It kills with IOS 12 bro, whole new device"

Ever since phones hit 1 grand, one of these fuckers jumps out from behind the tall grass whenever someone mentions an expensive apple thing.

Yeah, people can afford different stuff, thank you for bringing up this useless comparison, ad nauseam, forever
People measure things in opportunity costs. This seems shocking to you.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Media Bloodbath posted:

If you're white it's magic, if you are dark skinned it works just most of the time.

Is this a joke? If so it's not very funny

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fourwood posted:

But also saving $250 on the XR is a stupid financial decision.

Yeah People should definitely pay $250 for features they don't care about and the same processor as the better models.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

OK, now I remember that. It was some weird convoluted accounting thing. I remember paying $2 to "unlock" my wireless network adapter in my MacBook so it could do 802.11n as well now that I think about it.

"They have to charge something!" was definitely just a myth and not some weird accounting thing

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sarbanes-Oxley related, I think.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean we could all just buy BLU phones off Amazon I suppose...

If it's 'good enough' then I guess it'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

An iPhone XS is 110 forum avatars for people you don't like.

Now that's a new perspective.