Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

I missed this earlier but this wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's very good, yes. i was waiting to be able to post it.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
This ep kicked rear end but all the long, slightly distant shots of everyone on screen completely lacking a face was a little distracting

DavidPro never changes.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Isnt part 5 disliked because it had horrible fan translations by non native speakers

The old English translations of Part 5 were a re-translation of a Chinese translation of the Japanese original. At least one of the translators in this chain didn't know what they were doing, so the resulting English translation was an incoherent mess.
For about 10 years, this was the only complete English translation of Jojo Part 5.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Duwang translation was by someone who didn't know English, but the part 5 translation was by someone who didn't know Japanese.

Additionally, the people who wrote the Part 5 translation didn't know English, either.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

daxing dan also happens to be one of the people who worked on the new and good translation for part 5 which doesn't suck

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The Duwang translation was by someone who didn't know English, but the part 5 translation was by someone who didn't know Japanese.

what made duwang endearing is that it actually got the story across fairly accurately, albeit in the most insane way possible

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The other thing is that the old, bad part 5 translation, while incomprehensible, had good typesetting. Clean scans, nice font, good layout, etc. Whereas Duwang looked like this:

37th generation jpeg with mspaint text boxes slapped over the original, now mottled-grey, word bubbles. Godawful spelling, bizarre formatting, spelling errors out the wazoo. By comparison part 5 was a pro job if you just skimmed it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

But Duwang has so much charm

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the old part 5 translation definitely gave off the idea that it knew what the gently caress it was talking about and then if you were paying attention it had a map of venice labeled as vienna of all things which immediately started unraveling the mystery

also no one in that translation had any goddamn emotion, which is part of what sparked a lot of distaste towards vento aureo for a good while because part 4 had a lot of cool character going on and then it transferred to...that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Daxing Dan posted:

Additionally, the people who wrote the Part 5 translation didn't know English, either.

I feel like they're missing the basic concept of a translation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

but yeah like, I have no idea what onomatopoeia I would use in English to represent the lighting of a fire or that something is hot, but Japanese has Juuuuu that Koichi uses, stuff like that

play dragon quest
basically all the attack spells are onomatopoeia

i forgot this channel existed. learn what a leitmotif is youtuber you fucker (i like the videos though)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 27, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meat Beat Agent posted:

This ep kicked rear end but all the long, slightly distant shots of everyone on screen completely lacking a face was a little distracting

DavidPro never changes.

it’s a small price to pay for those gorgeous action cuts

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

play dragon quest
basically all the attack spells are onomatopoeia
I love dragon quest

I would never say "oh yeah starting a fire sounds like "Frizz"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mister Olympus posted:

Not in Japanese it isn't. Onomatopoeia for everything, even things that don't reasonably make sounds

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Next week preview from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8mFV5WVXU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
DUWANG had horrible grammar and general scan and typesetting quality, but it somehow managed to capture the charm and get across the gist of things, whereas the old Part 5 translation looked fine at a glance but completely butchered all the characters and they were literally just making poo poo up instead of actually translating.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Augus posted:

it’s a small price to pay for those gorgeous action cuts

Oh for sure, everything else in the ep looked fantastic.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Basically duwang is like a kid who understands what they want to mean and just sucks at phrasing it, whereas old5 was a college student bullshiting a paper on a subject they didn't study.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Getting used to Giorno's new voice is so strange since I only really recognize him as Yuya from Yugioh Arc-V. I keep expecting him to dramatically yell "Ore no TURN!" and draw a card. It wouldn't even be that unfitting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

I love dragon quest

I would never say "oh yeah starting a fire sounds like "Frizz"

Roll the r and it does

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Momomo posted:

Getting used to Giorno's new voice is so strange since I only really recognize him as Yuya from Yugioh Arc-V. I keep expecting him to dramatically yell "Ore no TURN!" and draw a card. It wouldn't even be that unfitting.

The arc where Giorno plays Duel Monsters by pitting his Vampire Deck against Italian D'arby's Gamble Deck is one of the highlights of the series.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

man they are really going all out with the animation in this part so far, show looks great. good episode, and the part where Giorno is thinking to himself and tells Polpo to enjoy his last meal while he has a loving gun in his mouth was brutal. I've forgotten a lot about this part, half because I read it so long ago and half because when I read it there was still not a good translation available so I'm very much enjoying this so far. wake up feeling so horny every Friday

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

Polpo, the fun starts now!

*banana gun shot*

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Man Giorno can be a cold motherfucker when he wants to be. I can totally see this guy taking over the mafia.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Marx Headroom posted:

Man Giorno can be a cold motherfucker when he wants to be.

But is he colder than Josuke Higashikata? I mean, yeah, Giorno tricked Polpo into killing himself, but Josuke has inflicted "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" levels of body horror on his enemies. (Yo, Angelo!)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Josuke contributed a piece of art to his local community that quickly became a well known landmark. Nothing wrong with that. He donated an interesting book to the library too!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Terunosuke's family never saw him again. :stare:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

part iv is pretty terrible if you get around to it, Teronsuke and Angelo are trapped in living hells, Shinobu doesn't know that Kosaku is dead and Hayato can't really explain what the gently caress actually happened, Nijimura's dad never gets saved, an American ends up baby trafficking with no indication of the parents knowing what happened in a town that also has like 3 dozen missing young women that vanished without a trace

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

W.T. Fits posted:

But is he colder than Josuke Higashikata? I mean, yeah, Giorno tricked Polpo into killing himself, but Josuke has inflicted "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" levels of body horror on his enemies. (Yo, Angelo!)

Jotaro and Joseph both left foes tied up in the desert in the middle of nowhere, that's pretty drat cold. Or hot i guess.

Jonathan never killed in cold blood, he was an honorable gentlemen who wept at the necessity of the violence he was inflicting.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

exploded mummy posted:

part iv is pretty terrible if you get around to it, Teronsuke and Angelo are trapped in living hells, Shinobu doesn't know that Kosaku is dead and Hayato can't really explain what the gently caress actually happened, Nijimura's dad never gets saved, an American ends up baby trafficking with no indication of the parents knowing what happened in a town that also has like 3 dozen missing young women that vanished without a trace

Also that couple who were rude to a psycho and as a result the woman got raped and killed, while the guy got posessed, forced to commit a robbery and take a hostage, got a knife put into his stomach, then got arrested and likely put on trial for all of that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

exploded mummy posted:

Now to be fair Angelo deserves that hell.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the banana trick was really well executed bit of storytelling. If something like that had happened in part 2 or 3, the audience would have no clue what was going on until after the fact when the protagonist explained it. All of the setup would have happened "off camera". In part 5, everything is foreshadowed (literal Chekhov's gun in Polpo's cell) without explicitly giving away what happened when Giorno reached into the cell. And of course Polpo's speech providing Giorno the justification to, uh, 'defeat him using his own logic'.

I haven't read the manga, does it play out the same way there?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't feel sorry for Angelo, but while Terunosuke was creep, I don't recall him killing anyone. Couldn't they have sent him to jail like Otoishi?

E: whoops meant to edit this into my other post.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Electric Phantasm posted:

so did Kars, but its still kind of hosed up and yet not the most hosed up thing that happens to a JoJo villain

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Jonathan is up there in heaven crying over what all his grandsons are doing and waiting for Joseph to finally pass away so he can teach him a lesson for being such a bad example to the bloodline.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Jonathan is up there in heaven crying over what all his grandsons are doing and waiting for Joseph to finally pass away so he can teach him a lesson for being such a bad example to the bloodline.

The real reason Joseph came back to life at the end of Part 3 is because he didn't want to deal with that. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

On the other hand, gently caress Angelo.

Dragonwagon posted:

Also that couple who were rude to a psycho and as a result the woman got raped and killed, while the guy got posessed, forced to commit a robbery and take a hostage, got a knife put into his stomach, then got arrested and likely put on trial for all of that.

Yeah, it's stuff like this and the lady that stabbed a student in the eye because of Hierophant Green that make me wonder about the Jojo world sometimes.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Pomplamoose posted:

I don't feel sorry for Angelo, but while Terunosuke was creep, I don't recall him killing anyone. Couldn't they have sent him to jail like Otoishi?

E: whoops meant to edit this into my other post.

He went after Josukes mum. You kinda have to expect that kind of response for that tbh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pomplamoose posted:

I thought the banana trick was really well executed bit of storytelling. If something like that had happened in part 2 or 3, the audience would have no clue what was going on until after the fact when the protagonist explained it. All of the setup would have happened "off camera". In part 5, everything is foreshadowed (literal Chekhov's gun in Polpo's cell) without explicitly giving away what happened when Giorno reached into the cell. And of course Polpo's speech providing Giorno the justification to, uh, 'defeat him using his own logic'.

I haven't read the manga, does it play out the same way there?

It does indeed. The only real difference is that Giorno kills him with the gun as soon as he exits the prison. There is no concluding call with Koichi to Jotaro, though him remarking Giorno is a lot like the other Joestars happens in the aftermath of the Black Sabbath fight, and Bruno meets up with Giorno after Polpo dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Nephthys posted:

He went after Josukes mum. You kinda have to expect that kind of response for that tbh.

It's this. Josuke is a very good boy who loves his mom, and anyone threatening her sets him off harder than insulting his hair. Like I fully believe if Rohan ever insinuated he was going to go after her during their fight, Josuke would have literally torn him in half. Same for every other villain.

Angelo also went after his mom, for the record. So yeah, if you wanna get turned into something hosed up, threaten to murder Tomoko Higashikata while Josuke is in earshot.