Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I forgot how much fun Norsca is. I'm about 260 turns into this campaign, and I've managed to wrangle together an alliance of myself (Wulfrik), Malekith, Tretch (who has overrun the majority of the new world, including all of Lustria), Mannfred (pretty much the entirety of the Empire with the exception of Wissenland), Arkhan, and sort-of Grimgor.

We're currently crushing the last of the high elves. Watching mammoths crush High Elves is fun as gently caress, and Wulfrik has the Sword of Khaine because gently caress it why not? Western/Northern Ulthuan is either burnt or under Malekith or Tretch, the coastal settlements on the east/south are all mine, including Lothern. Tyrion is hemmed in at the Gaean Vale, basically begging to die at this point.

Once we're done with the elves we're probably going to go wipe out the rump Empire in Wissenland, the last Wood Elf outpost in Bretonnia (that's all they have left, I burnt those fuckers out of their forest), and whatever Grimgor leaves us of the dwarves.

I'm also probably going to trigger the Chaos invasion and then dunk on Archaeon because gently caress that nerd. Basically, long story short, Norsca is rad, everyone should play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i'm having a surprising amount of success as Queek Headtaker in mortal empires. it's admittedly pretty early in the game, around turn 40, but I've taken my starting province, then I stomped out the dwarves to the north (using cowardly skaven tactics such as heroes and waiting for their armies to be weakened by the orcs to their north) and took that province too. I've been consolidating my two main provinces, while working on taking Karak Eight Peaks.

The orcs have all friended me due to my growing power and also dwarf murders, and the silver host vampires to the east are my friends, and have been stopping the lizards from creeping up on me. Now I'm picking off the armies at Karak Eight Peaks one by one, by basically attacking then seeing if I get an ambush, then killing the army if I do and running away if i don't.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Gonkish posted:

I forgot how much fun Norsca is. I'm about 260 turns into this campaign,

Yeah about that, when is the End Times supposed to kick in for Norsca? I'm on turn 200~ or so and I've taken over all of Brettonia, the Empire, amd Ulthuan, and I'm starting to work on Tilea and the Wood Elves. No one's remotely a challenge anymore and I'm ready to kick Archaon in the dick and call this campaign a wrap.

GrandPapil
Jan 14, 2004
The Man
Is there a list of basic good mods out there for wh2? Some of the more important quality of life stuff

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

chaleski posted:

Yeah about that, when is the End Times supposed to kick in for Norsca? I'm on turn 200~ or so and I've taken over all of Brettonia, the Empire, amd Ulthuan, and I'm starting to work on Tilea and the Wood Elves. No one's remotely a challenge anymore and I'm ready to kick Archaon in the dick and call this campaign a wrap.

You must fully dedicate yourself to one of the four Gods, which will trigger an invasion from the champions of other three Gods in the form of two Warriors of Chaos armies and a quest battle that's one of the toughest in the game. After you beat them you get the choice of supporting Archaon (for some bonuses and a permanent alliance with the Warriors of Chaos) or beating him (and Kholek, Sarthorael and Sigvald) and becoming the new Everchosen (with huge bonuses after your victory, like -90% upkeep to all your forces and global chaos corruption).

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Beautiful Princess posted:

Is there a list of basic good mods out there for wh2? Some of the more important quality of life stuff

GCCM - Better maps all around
Advanced AI - Improves the AI a lot
Region trading - So you don't have to declare war on your allies
Gates of chaos - provides more things to fight later in the game
Old world rites - Until they add them for the older races
Mixu's table top lords - Helps out a lot of races
Standard bearers - Looks nice
All faction officers - Looks nice

Those mods are great for vanilla but there's a ton of good overhauls like SFO/C&C that completely change the game for better or worse. Personally i would have preferred jumping to C&C from the start it's just much more enjoyable to me.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Eej posted:

As a Chinese dude I would love to see an army of mindless Terracotta warriors, Chinese dragons flying around, Monkey King lords duplicating themselves from strands of hair, Taoist Priests banishing unnatural beings, elite swordsmen jumping and running through the air to cut down hordes of mooks, monks striking pressure points through gaps in Chaos Warriors' armour causing their bodies to explode etc.

But I guess you know, Chinese Fantasy is too dumb and stupid for Warhammer I guess and judging by the way gamers receive Asian settings added onto their Western Fantasy like Mists of Pandaria, more people share your opinion than mine

Nahh, I'd be pumped for that as well. CA have done a bang up job so far, especially whenever they've had to come up with stuff themselves. It's weird how people in this thread can praise them for it, rightfully imo, and then turn around and expect the worst, most bargain-basement interpretation of crap lore from 20 years ago for future content. Did we have this cycle before Norsca came out, with people bracing for terrible Fimir-related lore?

/If/ Cathay gets done, I'm pretty sure CA will knock it out of the park.

e.: Someone a few pages back posted a scene from the recent Great Wall movie. That's /practically/ like something out of what we'd get, and it was a Chinese production.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 27, 2018

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assume Settra's ME campaign is supposed to be a bit of a slow start? Or did I just get unlucky with the stupid Savage Orcs somehow getting two other factions to declare war on me? I feel like I'm just trying to keep ahold of Khemri while I tech towards a second army, which luckily is just a couple turns away.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

ZearothK posted:

You must fully dedicate yourself to one of the four Gods, which will trigger an invasion from the champions of other three Gods in the form of two Warriors of Chaos armies and a quest battle that's one of the toughest in the game.

Oh poo poo, I've been putting that off for like 100 turns now. Thanks!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I sincerely hope Gobbo King comes back. I'd even support him on patreon or something as he was saying in a recent video how his house is infested with roaches and there's no food in the fridge, which is why he wanted the tourney money. Or something to that effect.

Anyway the dude has this really tired-sounding, almost apathetic, diffident style which I find very soothing for some reason. Not like all those idiot youtubers who put on a huge show to sound enthusiastic.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i was going to do a post about how cool the red duke is but apparently they released some lovely novel about him that makes him lame and that made me unhappy

so instead have some pictures of the red duke in happier times:

and then a lame picture of him from the cover of the book about him:

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 27, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
as a vampire you must choose between baldness or stringey rear end ghoul hair. normal hair is unacceptable

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i find it hard to believe none of these aristocratic, vain nobles have ever heard of a wig.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Impermanent posted:

i find it hard to believe none of these aristocratic, vain nobles have ever heard of a wig.

Isabella does.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

juggalo baby coffin posted:

how can he even move in this armour

if he wants to reach across his body he's gonna stab himself in the face with his own pauldron

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Judging by the holes in his face he already has!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

It's called Vampire Pattern Baldness and if you dont shave your head you end up with gross ghoul hair

vlad is already married so he doesnt give a gently caress, but most of the other guys are single so they have to look good

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Mixu's Legendary Lord mod is so fun because it fleshes out all the elector counts (and gives unique traits for defeating them!). They all look very distinctive and are summed up thusly:

Bringer of Todds
Lady Death
Can You Believe This rear end in a top hat Wears Golden Armor
Polack Prime
Aragorn v2.0
Foppy McFloppyhat
Dutch Snidely Whiplash
And so on...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i was going to do a post about how cool the red duke is but apparently they released some lovely novel about him that makes him lame and that made me unhappy

so instead have some pictures of the red duke in happier times:

Isn't he supposed to be a bit insane and delusional and basically a really sad wretch who can't stop obsessing over the last time he was defeated? I remember something of the sort last time I checked.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Nahh, I'd be pumped for that as well. CA have done a bang up job so far, especially whenever they've had to come up with stuff themselves. It's weird how people in this thread can praise them for it, rightfully imo, and then turn around and expect the worst, most bargain-basement interpretation of crap lore from 20 years ago for future content. Did we have this cycle before Norsca came out, with people bracing for terrible Fimir-related lore?

/If/ Cathay gets done, I'm pretty sure CA will knock it out of the park.

e.: Someone a few pages back posted a scene from the recent Great Wall movie. That's /practically/ like something out of what we'd get, and it was a Chinese production.

Need an official release of that mod for Medieval 2 that was like knights vs. Romans with guns vs. LOTR Orks and other crazy stuff.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

how can he even move in this armour

if he wants to reach across his body he's gonna stab himself in the face with his own pauldron

If Mannfred ever falls forward he'll cut his own throat on the front of his breastplate.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Need an official release of that mod for Medieval 2 that was like knights vs. Romans with guns vs. LOTR Orks and other crazy stuff.

This but the one that was Elmo vs. Shrek vs. the Predator.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ZeusJupitar posted:

If Mannfred ever falls forward he'll cut his own throat on the front of his breastplate.

Luckily Mannfred never makes any forward progress

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Azran posted:

Isn't he supposed to be a bit insane and delusional and basically a really sad wretch who can't stop obsessing over the last time he was defeated? I remember something of the sort last time I checked.

that's what the novel did to him

previously he was a badass grail knight who had assassins sent after him by corrupt bretonnian nobles. they poisoned him but he butchered them all and Hit Vampire Abhorash (the big daddy blood dragon) saw how bravely he fought and offered him a chance at survival and revenge. the red duke accepted, abhorash bit him, red duke dies, his retainers take him back to bretonnia for all the corrupt nobles to mourn over.

three days later he wakes up, pissed off and crazy. he starts kicking rear end and taking names, going after the guys who betrayed him, kills their servants, burn their homes, raises them into his deathless army. he gets such a reputation that other knights, vampire and not, start coming to his kingdom to try and learn from his martial prowess.

that's the cool red duke. the novel one has alzheimers and cries all the time.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

This but the one that was Elmo vs. Shrek vs. the Predator.

You're thinking of Planetwar Total War. I feel like I've linked this mod a lot recently.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Luckily Mannfred never makes any forward progress

:golfclap:

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Is there a mod that just makes the AI actually try and fight your armies? Like not just when it has an overwhelming advantage?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lemme clarify my only issue with Cathay is that its inclusion is usually supported by posting crappy, generic fan lists or the :effort: GW stuff from ancient editions.

The flaw in that reasoning is that obviously CA is going to do better if they’re dumping all that money into a brand new faction. And unlike british nerds in the 80s, british nerds in the 2010s actually talk to chinese people when making fantasy centred on chinese mythology.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I feel like Cathay just has a lot of room to build on. There's no army list, sure, but we do have snippets that could be a foundation, plus they have one of the former writers from GW on staff, AND GW is obviously working closely with CA. Given what they've done with the Coast and Norsca (and filling out Bretonnia's roster) I'm sure they can find some way to make it work.

Basically, CA has been killing it as far as quality goes with the Warhammer games (as for the timetable, that's a different story). I'm hopeful, overall.

EDIT:

Reddit has a compiled list of Vampirates streams from TwitchCon: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9rqwiw/twitchcon_vampire_coast_gameplay/

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 27, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like all the research being done for Three Kingdoms should help them create a really fun Cathay.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
new sfo greenskin patch is kinda fun

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

queef anxiety posted:

drat dude, you're Waaghin hard

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

queef anxiety posted:

Apparently they introduced a standalone version that works for other overhauls? Sounds cool. What exactly does the Green Tide update do?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Panfilo posted:

Apparently they introduced a standalone version that works for other overhauls? Sounds cool. What exactly does the Green Tide update do?

bunch of stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9rlplz/sfo_the_green_and_the_grudge_update_release/

Dandywalken posted:

drat dude, you're Waaghin hard

not pictured is those last dwarves crushed against each other inexplicably slaughtering half my boyz :sad:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Incidentally are greenskins way better in quick battle than I thought? I struggle to win half my games with my favourite elf/mummy boyz but I tried some greenskins today and it seems like death magic + black orcs with some half decent support lets me just faceroll.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like all the research being done for Three Kingdoms should help them create a really fun Cathay.

Not to mention the fact that they can almost certainly reuse plenty of art assets

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
That's what I was thinking. There's plenty of 'human' models and skeletons already out there, which cuts down on the number of assets they would have to create compared to say, Skaven or something. Both WH1 and WH2 had some 'Order' factions vs some 'Evil' factions in their standalone game. If something like Cathay wasn't there, all you really have left are Ogres, Chaos Dwarves, and Chaos Daemons.

But a standalone campaign where you could play as Cathay trying to unite pseudo-China and protect against these threats would make for a decent standalone campaign.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Most people think Kislev will fulfill the protagonist role. The reason people mention Cathay is mostly because there's not a whole lot of room for CA to expand after the initial factions. Araby will probably be a WH2 DLC and DoW will probably be a preorder bonus like Norsca.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Unit cards from twitchcon, stolen from reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Twitchcon tournament going live now: https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Casted by Turin, nearly everyone involved was part of the Everchosen Invitational from last weekend.