Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They'll probably just stop using Apu and never mention him again, like what they did with Troy McClure. Except this time instead of retiring a character because of the tragic death of a beloved actor they're doing it because the writers are completely incapable of handling constructive criticism and slightly changing a character in a positive way.

Hi I'm Apu Nahasapeemapetelon, you might remember me from such controversies as The Problem with Apu.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They'll probably just stop using Apu and never mention him again, like what they did with Troy McClure. Except this time instead of retiring a character because of the tragic death of a beloved actor they're doing it because the writers are completely incapable of handling constructive criticism and slightly changing a character in a positive way.

How would you change him in a positive way?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sassassin posted:

Get a writer or several that actually know what living like apu is like

Like maybe consult with that comedian Hari Kondabolu, or any other loving comedian of indian descent living in the USA

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

sassassin posted:

By cancelling the show.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Simpsonum delenda est

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

By cancelling the show.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KoRMaK posted:

Get a writer or several that actually know what living like apu is like

Like maybe consult with that comedian Hari Kondabolu, or any other loving comedian of indian descent living in the USA

Are you implying that only Indian people can understand how to work in corner shops, exploit frozen geriatrics and raise octuplets?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sassassin posted:

Are you implying that only Indian people can understand how to work in corner shops, exploit frozen geriatrics and raise octuplets?
No, I'm saying that Indian people can write for an indian character without turning it into an offensive caricature

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hi im permabanned poster Apu Nahasapeemapetelon. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “irony” and tried to channel it constantly, 

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KoRMaK posted:

No, I'm saying that Indian people can write for an indian character without turning it into an offensive caricature

Tell me more about how keeping nationalities separated will lead to a better, less offensive world...

Truly the Indian is a mysterious creature, indecipherable to Western minds.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, you're like some dumb troll or something

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sassassin posted:

Why would you consult with people from races that aren't the same as the controversial character?? That's literally the cause of the problem in the first place.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Have Apu violently murdered so Manjula has to raise the octuplets alone which eventually drives her to return to India. Problem solved :discourse:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
There is no conceivable way Apu can be 'Fixed', if the show must continue then pretending like he never existed is pretty much the only route they can go.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

khwarezm posted:

There is no conceivable way Apu can be 'Fixed', if the show must continue then pretending like he never existed is pretty much the only route they can go.

Nah, they can do a bunch of constructive things and be funny.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

KoRMaK posted:

Name three that wouldn't cause a ton of people to roll their eyes.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What, no? I'm not a writer on the show but I think its premature to just consider it fact that there is no way to adjust the character.

The writing staff just wanna be lazy. They all seem like they have this anti-pc thing going on in the background, so they rather kill the character than bring on some good writers that could turn it around. Forget about re-writing apus history, just move forward with him not being a bad stereotype.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KoRMaK posted:

The last time the show did something funny was when? The memes are funnier than anything in the past 15 years.

Except for that one post-singularity opening credits bit. That was amazing. But it sure didn’t come from their writers.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The entire problem is that Apu is nothing but a collection of dumb stereotypes, trying to reclaim him by not having him, for example, have a cartoony Indian accent, have an arranged marriage or have a football team's worth of kids basically turns him into somebody entirely different, they may as well kill him off and have it turn out that a completely unrelated Indian-American guy owns the Kwik-E-Mart now, who happens to play up to a few less of the embarrassing cliches.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A twisted irony would be if they did every correct choice to repair the problem of Apu in the show on the creative side and whoever they brought on still made the character almost identical to the way they were before.

Or, we do an Apu centric episode where he goes to India and the moment he arrives, he's voiced by an Indian VA, all his stuff is written by Indian comedians, and he's recounting his adventures in America where every single Springfield citizen depicted in flashback as a greater cartoon stereotype of themselves and their behavior than the last.

Except Homer. Homer is the ONE character that is played out as entirely true to character as we've ever seen him.

The irony being that HOMER'S normal jerkass stupidity is viewed by Indian friends and relatives as the unbelievable part of Apu's recollections of living in Springfield. No, we'll believe every other exaggeration you tell us as the truth, but this Homer fellow seems like he's too fantastic and insane to believe could be real.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the episode where Homer wants to get Apu deported because he talks funny but then he realises that he's a good person and important member of the community and his accent doesn't matter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But it's possible that's an episode of Family Guy.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Take the apu talk to the other 3 simpsons gbs threads please.

Please post memes only.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

lol if you actually give a poo poo about anything concerning "new simpsons" and expecting the writers to not be poo poo after years and years of them proving they can't be anything other then that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The last time the show did something funny was when? The memes are funnier than anything in the past 15 years.

Except for that one post-singularity opening credits bit. That was amazing. But it sure didn’t come from their writers.

The Don Hertzfeldt one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
You know the episode where Homer says as a joke "and now, without further Apu" and Apu says "Oh, I have been zinged!"? Maybe someone could make a meme out of that. Like Homer says "and now, without further Apu" and then Apu disappears or something? I'm just spitballing here. I'm not good at meme.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

By cancelling the show.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can anyone link the hideous animation of marge nodding i need ot show it to someone

also rip getfiscal

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1056299018043772930

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

KoRMaK posted:

My turban is throbbing

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
How many Indians do you think are actually offended by Apu

I reckon 3 and thousands of white complainers

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Edit: nm

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Omfg how did this thread go from gold to poo poo over the most minor of characters

POST MORE SIMPSONS MEMES

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Nonviolent J posted:

How many Indians do you think are actually offended by Apu

I reckon 3 and thousands of white complainers

hey guess what you’re one of the thousands of fragile white guys making a fuss out of apu

way 2 go asshat

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
No u

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

sassassin posted:

Any time apu is not on screen all the other characters should ask "Where's Apu?"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I am afraid I must insist on more memes in this thread. You see, my wife has been very vocal on the subject of the Simpsons memes. "Where are the memes?" ""When are you going to get the memes?" "Why aren't you getting the memes now?" So please... the memes.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

maybe if you just nibble her elbow a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!