Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

Its extremely rare that Win 10 doesn't have built in drivers for NICs anymore. I never have to mess with any of that. Load 10, boot up, allow updates to install all drivers.

Z390 boards are starting to come with 2.5/5/10gbe NICs that I doubt will have built in drivers ready to go.

I don't think the auto-driver thing bothers me, but if it rises to the level of mandatory installations of lovely audio driver bloatware and stuff, i will be mad. That is my take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Drivers are one thing but installing an auto updater service that magically reappears on reboot really does not feel right, even though it can be disabled in bios.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

ITT: Goons liking UEFI root kits

mewse posted:

Drivers are one thing but installing an auto updater service that magically reappears on reboot really does not feel right, even though it can be disabled in bios.

I don't trust Asus to write a stable or secure anything, so same.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I agree that adding this capability to UEFI in the first place was probably not a good idea since it's so easy to abuse, and there is no shortage of greybeards hating everything about UEFI in general, but this instance really is quite harmless. If you don't want it, just turn it off. Sure they could document it better, but it's not like it's malicious or hidden.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

NeuralSpark posted:

ITT: Goons liking UEFI root kits

You have no idea what a rootkit is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TheFluff posted:

Network drivers being bundled onboard the motherboard itself is loving genius and avoids a step that you are inevitably going to forget (downloading the drivers onto an USB stick on a different computer, and if you don't have a different computer or a USB stick handy you get to feel really stupid), and you can turn it off with the flip of a switch after you've used it and don't want the other Asus bloatware, so this is in fact cool & good.

This, especially for fancy-pants boards with non-standard NICs that need custom drivers not typically carried by Win10. Disable it if you don't like it, but frankly having an auto-installed updater is straight up good for most people, since as it turns out, most people are hot trash when it comes to remembering to update their poo poo. That's why Win10 does it for you now; and, yes, I know this annoys some people (myself included), but for 98% of the population this is a solid choice.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

DrDork posted:

This, especially for fancy-pants boards with non-standard NICs that need custom drivers not typically carried by Win10. Disable it if you don't like it, but frankly having an auto-installed updater is straight up good for most people, since as it turns out, most people are hot trash when it comes to remembering to update their poo poo. That's why Win10 does it for you now; and, yes, I know this annoys some people (myself included), but for 98% of the population this is a solid choice.

“Normies must update” is a reason to enable auto-updates and hide the option to turn them off (eg in one registry key or in group policies). It’s not a reason to make turning updates off impossible even for advanced users with specific reasons not to update.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

il serpente cosmico posted:

Huh, I wonder why the 8700k generally beats or matches the 9900k when clocked the same? Still waiting on that DF review.

They should be very close at the same clock. It's all still Skylake on 14nm+++++++++++++, the big differences are packaging, binning, cache and hardware meltdown fixes.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They should be very close at the same clock. It's all still Skylake on 14nm+++++++++++++, the big differences are packaging, binning, cache and hardware meltdown fixes.

Right. Their numbers surprised me because the 8700k was ahead in most tests despite fewer cores and less cache. I figured it'd be even in games that didn't benefit from more threads, but I didn't expect it to have a noticible lead much of the time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Right. Their numbers surprised me because the 8700k was ahead in most tests despite fewer cores and less cache. I figured it'd be even in games that didn't benefit from more threads, but I didn't expect it to have a noticible lead much of the time.

There is something wrong with these testers. There is no way the 8700K is faster.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

redeyes posted:

There is something wrong with these testers. There is no way the 8700K is faster.

I should've specified that I was talking about the test where each CPU was clocked at 5GHz. Is it possible that more cores may lead to more latency and poorer performance? Or that the hardware fixes for Spectre and Meltdown have a performance cost?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

suck my woke dick posted:

“Normies must update” is a reason to enable auto-updates and hide the option to turn them off (eg in one registry key or in group policies). It’s not a reason to make turning updates off impossible even for advanced users with specific reasons not to update.

I don't disagree with you, but you can disable them via Group Policies on anything other than Home. The segment of people that really needs to disable updating but is forced to use Home is apparently small enough that Microsoft doesn't care about pissing them off, I guess. For what it's worth, if you have a Win10 Home instal, you can upgrade it to Pro if you've got an old Win7/8 Pro/Ultimate key laying around.

At least ASUS allows their thing to be trivially disabled for people who don't want it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I should've specified that I was talking about the test where each CPU was clocked at 5GHz. Is it possible that more cores may lead to more latency and poorer performance? Or that the hardware fixes for Spectre and Meltdown have a performance cost?

I know, I just can't believe those results. Makes zero sense.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Intel has stated, if not in so many words,
that the fixes do have a performance cost. They went on to say that it would be more than offset by other gains, but I don't remember if it was in reference to 9XXX chips or the next gen.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

redeyes posted:

I know, I just can't believe those results. Makes zero sense.

I am hoping for a Digital Foundry review soon. They are typically thorough in their testing, and they dig deeper when results aren't what they expect. I'm surprised they haven't posted one yet, and I'm wondering if maybe they haven't been able to get their hands on a 9700k, which is holding them up.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Got my 9700k installed last night in a Z370 Taichi. I’ll run through some OC numbers in the next few days one I figure out this ASRock bios, which seems way more cumbersome than the MSI bios.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ulio posted:

Intel and AMD's earning calls this week. I am going to assume bad for intel and good for AMD. They seem to have gained a much larger % of the cpu market thanks to Intel's blunders. Tarriff hurt both companies. Also interested if Intel will talk at all about their manufacturing.

Intel posted earnings today, setting an all time revenue record. Revenue up 19% year over year and $6.4B in profit. PC business up 16% on the launch of the new laptop SKUs, data center up 26% on the never ending thirst for Skylake-SP. Every business unit grew.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Reminder that hardware enthusiasts shouldn't consider themselves having the inside track on tech stocks

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Considering Intel has been massively increasing earnings projections quarter to quarter and still can't get in front of their 14 nm shortage despite throwing a bunch of money at it, the question wasn't if Intel was going to be ahead of expectations, only how far ahead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so when I checked on Amazon's stock of 9th gens in the Amazon Shopping app on my phone, it now claims the CPUs come with a free Call of Duty game code, but when I check on the website, there's no mention of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/9oreo0/will_i99900k_come_with_cod_key/

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cygni posted:

Intel posted earnings today, setting an all time revenue record. Revenue up 19% year over year and $6.4B in profit. PC business up 16% on the launch of the new laptop SKUs, data center up 26% on the never ending thirst for Skylake-SP. Every business unit grew.

Seemed like it was the total opposite of what I predicted. The high gpu inventory for AMD definitely hurt them and I expect they just lowered their guidance to not get hopes as high as they did with their historical run this year.

Still I think in the long run AMD's EPYC 2nd gen has the potential to take over the server side but Intel also has work in the 5G side so if that goes big could lead to even more growth in the future.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, so when I checked on Amazon's stock of 9th gens in the Amazon Shopping app on my phone, it now claims the CPUs come with a free Call of Duty game code, but when I check on the website, there's no mention of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/9oreo0/will_i99900k_come_with_cod_key/
According to Amazon's customer service, the deal went valid on 21 October. So if you pre-ordered it before then, they're not honoring the promotion.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Right now I'd be happy if the processors shipped at all. I placed my order on the 8. :arghfist::mad:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My local micro center just got some in (Northern VA) but didn’t have the stock updated on their website if you guys are getting thirsty. Just cancelled my order from Jeffy B.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Welp

We're contacting you about your order for Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W. We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Winks posted:

Welp

We're contacting you about your order for Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W. We recently learned that we may miss your delivery promise and apologize for the inconvenience.

Same.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Thirded

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hed posted:

My local micro center just got some in (Northern VA) but didn’t have the stock updated on their website if you guys are getting thirsty. Just cancelled my order from Jeffy B.

Normally I'd be all over this, but Micro Center wants a ridiculous $580 (before 6% tax) for a 9900K, and I've currently got an order in for $500 and change at Provantage*. I also can't take advantage of the bundle discount because no one has my chosen board in stock yet since it hasn't been released or even previewed by anyone. :mad:

*and a pending charge notice on my AMEX, since Provantage, while not a scam company, has a checkered history of charging their customers before shipping their products.

Good to know - Micro Center's selling the boxed 8086K for $379.99. They've wickedly increased their price on the 8700K to $359.99, though - up from $299.99, then $329.99.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 27, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I ended up returning the Z370 Extreme4 and ordering a Taichi Ultimate, I'm a big dumb baby who couldn't resist that 10 GbE controller. The Apex looks like it'll be the best pure OC board tho, it goes to a full 16 phase VRM.

I ordered two of those X99 FTW K for $100 each a couple weeks ago to replace my dead Gigabyte board and I'm finally back up and running on that. It's not all that compatible with the S340 but the hardware seems nice. Some weird choices in the BIOS. I was planning on maybe giving this build away to a friend but I am really hard up for FPS in BF1 and FC5 at the moment, my 1080 would not fit in my backup system so I was driving a X34 off a 1060 3GB. It's not going to last forever but it'll hold me over until I figure out what to do with my 9900K build. I'll probably spring for an extended warranty for these boards and give them away when I'm done with them, it's $30 to push it to 10 years.

I'm still considering just throwing my hands in the air and sending back the Taichi Ultimate back. I am strongly considering cancelling my B+H and Amazon preorder, I did another order a couple nights ago for the $500 price and the BO4 coupon (doesn't apply to orders placed before the 23rd). I don't know, with this system back up I don't mind waiting but it's 2 months off my mobo warranty, and Intel is not going to offer the tuning plan until next year (I emailed them and asked).

This weekend I may see just how far I can push it, I have a late-batch 5820K that I know will do at least 4.1 on very reasonable voltages. If I could get it to 4.5-4.7, even if it runs super hot (that's a given with the 9900K too), that might hold me over for a little longer, IDK. Although 4.7 on Haswell is only like 4.3 on Broadwell, which is just a touch below Skylake IPC. Similar to what I'd get on Ryzen (I've ruled out that possibility for now) but still like 20% below what I'd get on a 9900K in total single-thread performance. I dunno. When I look at the total price tag it's a lot of money. I can afford it, I need high single-threaded performance, and I get good use out of it, but still.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

*and a pending charge notice on my AMEX, since Provantage, while not a scam company, has a checkered history of charging their customers before shipping their products.

I don't think pending charges accrue interest, they just count against your available credit. Still a pain but it's not like you're paying 15% a month on it or w/e, and they don't have money in hand until it clears through.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 27, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't think pending charges accrue interest, they just count against your available credit. Still a pain but it's not like you're paying 15% a month on it or w/e, and they don't have money in hand until it clears through.

Yup, and my estimated 9900K ship date is 12/6, which reasonably matches up with when EVGA has hinted the DARK board will be available (mid-to-late November). I also decided to say "gently caress it" and ordered an H115i PRO for my cooler. I plan on front-mounting it since evidently that provides better performance so long as your fans are up to it. Everything I'd read about the H150i PRO said the pump is underpowered to handle the 360mm radiator and the performance suffers as a result.

10GbE would be nice, but honestly, when I need it, I can buy an add-in card.

drat - just watched Steve's review of the H115i PRO, and now I'm wondering if it's really what I need for my "9750K." :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 27, 2018

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yup, and my estimated 9900K ship date is 12/6, which reasonably matches up with when EVGA has hinted the DARK board will be available (mid-to-late November). I also decided to say "gently caress it" and ordered an H115i PRO for my cooler. I plan on front-mounting it since evidently that provides better performance so long as your fans are up to it. Everything I'd read about the H150i PRO said the pump is underpowered to handle the 360mm radiator and the performance suffers as a result.

10GbE would be nice, but honestly, when I need it, I can buy an add-in card.

drat - just watched Steve's review of the H115i PRO, and now I'm wondering if it's really what I need for my "9750K." :ohdear:

Where did you preorder? I'm starting to think my 10/8 preorder from Amazon won't ship until December also

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

Where did you preorder? I'm starting to think my 10/8 preorder from Amazon won't ship until December also

Provantage. They might have a spotty rep (though I've never had a problem with them...yet), but they're charging $500 and change for the boxed version. I've got the charge monitored through AMEX, since they've had a history of charging before shipping, and if they try that bullshit with me, the charge is getting disputed.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
So my 9700k won’t seem hit 5.0 ghz all core even with 1.33V, I could go higher but temps with my legrand macho RT start getting close to 100C. Though to be fair I’m running my fans so that they barely audible in a Fractal Define S, 2 Noctua 140s in the front a a stock fractal 140 in the rear. Stock temps are completely reasonable, usually in the mid 60s. Can hit 4.9 ghz all core at around 1.28V which can get into 80s during tests like blender or Asus real bench. Gaming temps mostly sit in the 50s but I haven’t played anything that really loads up the cpu yet (LOL @ WoW sitting at 99% on one core while the rest sit below 20%).

Power draw at wall during most stress tests is about 200W, with hwinfo or XTU reporting a package power of about 170-180W. I did bump my 16gb DDR4 up to 1.45 for a slight OC, other wise it’s just z370 taichi board, SSD and HDD. ASUS real bench stress pegs me at 400W at the wall with my 1080ti locked at 1V. Stock power draw for 4.6 all core was about 170W at the wall using 1.255V.

With a small memory overclock to DDR4 3300, CL15 I get around 1560 in cinebench with all 8 cores and 215 with a single core. The few games I’ve tried definitely feel smoother, though I have no objective data to prove this with. I came from a 6700k that required 1.39V to hit a stable 4.6 ghz while delidded, I essentially replaced 4 logical cores with with 4 physical cores.

I will probably get a 9900k whenever they actually come into stock and just leave it at stock and be set for a good number of years. Yes I am dummy who hates money and only uses his computer for playing dwarf fortress and watching cat videos.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Try LLC 3 or 4 on that board. On mine LLC 4 dropped temps a LOT. Pretty funny how 95w tdp turns into 200w somehow. Thanks Intel!

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 27, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

redeyes posted:

Try LLC 3 or 4 on that board. On mine LLC 4 dropped temps a LOT. Pretty funny how 95w tdp turns into 200w somehow. Thanks Intel!

I settled for offset +20 mV with LLC 3. Level 4 dropped quite a bit and 2 shot it up quite a bit. Running a fixed voltage seemed to make things angry for some reason.

Power numbers seem pretty similar to what anand tech got when they reran everything, though their 9700k appears to be a golden sample compared to mine. Side not why does anand tech still use a 1080 for their gaming tests? You’d think a 1080 ti/2080 or 2080ti would make sure they aren’t GPU limited when testing CPUs.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 27, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone know of any good reviews of the 9600/9700k? Trying to figure out which to recommend for a gaming-focused build, so the 9900k is overkill and too hot. I was waiting to see if GN would post something, but I guess not and I honestly can't really blame them.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Arivia posted:

Does anyone know of any good reviews of the 9600/9700k? Trying to figure out which to recommend for a gaming-focused build, so the 9900k is overkill and too hot. I was waiting to see if GN would post something, but I guess not and I honestly can't really blame them.

The 9600k is essentially a soldered TIM 8600k, the thermals will be better than a non delidded 8600k but the performance will be the same clock for clock. There are enough reviews out there comparing the 9700k/9900k versus the 8600k if you look around. I'd personally lean towards the 9700k since it will clock roughly the same but have eight cores instead of the 9600k's six cores and probably last you a bit longer. You will need a slightly better cooler for the 9700k than the 9600k though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arivia posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_9700K/

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

B-Mac posted:

Side not why does anand tech still use a 1080 for their gaming tests? You’d think a 1080 ti/2080 or 2080ti would make sure they aren’t GPU limited when testing CPUs.
At least their latest benchmarks have their 720p/IGP mode listed, though still not a perfect measure of the CPU for high refresh gaming. I have a GTX 1080 and 7700k in my system and when I tried running the shadow of the tomb raider benchmark I was consistently coming up 10-15 fps average less than the anandtech benchmark using the same CPU video card combination. According to the benchmark I was only 30% GPU limited, and my 7700k has multi-core enhancement (4.5 GHz all core turbo), so if anything I should have been beating their score. Then I realized anandtech was also using some low quality graphics preset on their 720p/IGP setting where I was keeping everything at its highest settings except the resolution. The low quality preset culls more detail/geometry closer to the camera than the highest settings, so its not just easier on the GPU per frame but also easier on the CPU which is why they got higher numbers.

No idea why they run 4k and 8k ultra benchmarks though, basically a complete waste of a run and everyone's time because any mainstream gaming CPU from the last 5-7 years wouldn't bottleneck before the GPU at those settings. Maybe eventually they will get an editor who realizes it probably isn't a good CPU benchmark when it shows almost no difference between massively different CPUs. Like a 5+ year old 4c4t i5 might get almost the same average/95% percentile framerate as a 9900k in a game at 4k, but that doesn't tell us that it might have taken the smaller CPU 30+ seconds longer to start the benchmark in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Looking at the steam hardware survey, probably the "sweet spot" for relevance of gamers is between a GTX 970 and a 1070. Seems like a 1080 is a decent thing to benchmark as well. Past that, things start getting real "hardcore" niche. Adding to this, a vast majority of gaming takes place at resolutions at or below 1080p.

quote:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
12.32%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
8.35%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
4.68%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
5.34%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
3.86%

These cards make up 37 percent of the install base on steam (yes, China and poor countries, true.)