Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It sucks but I'm told it's a lot less unpleasant than the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Taylor Swift always seems like she's slightly out of tune when she does live performances. She used to be a lot worse (I remember that one show where she was singing an old Fleetwood Mac song with Stevie Nicks, who was visibly unimpressed) but I think it's still noticeable. I don't know, I guess I've never really rated her as a singer.

You straight up don't need to be a good singer to be a pop star. That's not an indictment of pop music, it's just a fact of the industry. Looking good on stage and in music videos is way more important than voice talent, and they can autotune, pitch correct, merge takes, auto-harmonize, and straight up replace your voice before the video releases. Some pop stars are amazing singers who compose their own songs, but others are just products, and it's not like you can tell the difference by the quality of their albums.

Timby posted:

Oh my loving God, chemo sucks. I watched my sperm donor go through it like 15 years ago, but I didn't grasp how brutal it is.

Hang in there. :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Further exacerbating things is the fact that a stunning amount of people who have the power who simply don't loving care about the mentally ill. And then manage to talk their supporters into thinking likewise.

It was quite a shock when I realized that I'm mentally ill. I struggle with dysthymia (I realize this might seem like nothing to those of you who have bi-polar or borderline personality disorder, or even schizophrenia, but it affects me in a very real way), as well as struggling with grief, a nebulous non-verbal learning disability, insomnia, and sleep apnea. And to steal a joke from George Carlin, I also have a headache.

It's frustrating to realize that I'm hosed up enough for it to make a negative difference in my life, but because I don't necessarily come off as the almost cartoonish idea that some people have of mentally ill persons, I don't really feel like there's a lot of resources to help me make my life better. I attend therapy but feel like it's not available often enough, most often anti-depressants make me ill or mess up my sex drive or just flat out don't do anything. It's enough to make you wanna piledrive a fascist. Actually if you get the chance, do that anyways.

On the upshot, I'm less than a month away from getting a memorial tattoo for the woman I was gonna marry and I think the artists does good work, so there's that! I think it'll help me cope with her absence, and I reckon that at worst, it beats getting a Pickle Rick tattoo (such great heights, I know).

I think there’s a story we’re missing here, and it seems to be a sad one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

You straight up don't need to be a good singer to be a pop star. That's not an indictment of pop music, it's just a fact of the industry. Looking good on stage and in music videos is way more important than voice talent, and they can autotune, pitch correct, merge takes, auto-harmonize, and straight up replace your voice before the video releases. Some pop stars are amazing singers who compose their own songs, but others are just products, and it's not like you can tell the difference by the quality of their albums.

Katy Perry has long been a source of confusion to me because for years I've read people praising her for having a really strong, powerful voice, but then I remember this mess and I have no idea where they got the idea from.

I'll rate personality ahead of technical proficiency any day of the week (which I think is why I eventually went off show tunes, but still enjoy old Mel Tormé and Tony Bennett albums) but there comes a point where a deficiency in the latter is severe enough that it undercuts any compensation you might derive from the former.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I swear I've seen a couple moments where Swift isn't even matching the lip sync in her own videos. It's crazy how much she coasts.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
She's a delight in concert.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is the first time in a few years where I'm not voting at this time of year. Somehow the current Government has made it more than a year without collapsing.

Is this political stability?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

therattle posted:

I think there’s a story we’re missing here, and it seems to be a sad one.

A friend and I fell in love back in 2015, started house hunting and I started looking at rings. Then she died in a snowboarding accident about 10 months after we became an item. It made everything I struggle with except the learning disability worse, and I tried to commit suicide.

I've tried 7 different types of anti-depressants, I can't seem to find a career that allows me to work around my disability effectively. I live at home with my mom because I simply don't make enough to support myself at my job. And the Premier (think Governor if you're American) of my province recently implied that if those who are complaining about him axing Basic Income want more stability, they should get a job.

That Premier, by the way, is the brother of the infamous crackhead ex-Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford. His name's Doug Ford and he himself is a former drug dealer.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 27, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We barely even have a government where I live, never mind a functioning one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

It sucks but I'm told it's a lot less unpleasant than the alternative.

Very Freudian of you.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bushisms.txt posted:

Never seen a taylor Swift music video before today, restaurant I'm at has a playlist of them going, and now I can see why she's not on any shows or movies. She can't act for poo poo, its mind blowing how bad, kind of ruining my meal.

Her publisher is called big machine label, subtle really.

Her Delicate video is extremely beautiful. The filming, colors, atmosphere, cinematography is great. Even her goofy performance.

Also her video for Blank Space was good.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I used to not really understand how acting could be considered a job since I thought anyone could do it to an acceptable degree. Then I had the misfortune of seeing Valentine’s Day and Taylor Swift in that movie immediately showed me why I was wrong.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m not one to judge, I loving suck at acting. I dig her continuing partnership with Joseph Kahn. Which reminds me, I have to watch Detention again soon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stop saying mean words about my seventeen foot tall girlfriend Tay Tay you fucks

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Taylor Swift is like the evil Jet Li in The One and Robyn is the good Jet Li

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

Her Delicate video is extremely beautiful. The filming, colors, atmosphere, cinematography is great. Even her goofy performance.

Directed by Joseph Khan! That's why!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Taylor Swift is like the evil Jet Li in The One and Robyn is the good Jet Li

I don't know who Robyn is but please stop or I'm going to start doing mountain goats songs about Tay Tay

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mountain Goats, how about man-tain goats

And it's for the fellas

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I don't know who Robyn is but please stop or I'm going to start doing mountain goats songs about Tay Tay

Dickeye you ignorant slut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNo07Xp8aQ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Full disclosure I didn't hear a Taylor Swift song until 2015 when I was living in Charlotte, the power went out one night and my roommate and I sat on our balcony abd drank and listened to Tay Tay on her phone because she wanted me to hear blank space

Not knowing who these people are is kinda my default mode

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
People: the new Suspiria loving rules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Rihanna turned down the Super Bowl because of her support for Colin Kaepernick. That's my pop star story.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Delicate is a really good video for a strangely astonishing song that transcends basically Swift’s whole career. It’s really different from anything else she’s written, lyrically, and it’s a shame the album surrounding it is so horrendous.

That’s my Swift take. Thanks for listening.

Budgie Jumping posted:

People: the new Suspiria loving rules.
I love the original, but I hear this one’s *really* gruesome. Assuming Argento’s about as much as I can handle, I assume I should steer clear?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you know what Hollywood's missing nowadays? giant roided-out muscle-monster actors, like we used to have a billion of

like, you've basically got The Rock and Batista and that's it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
EMA is better than all of them

Edit: meaning Swift, Rihanna, etc

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

precision posted:

The European Medicines Agency?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I Before E posted:

The European Medicines Agency?

Erika M Anderson, formerly of Gowns and a solo artist since about 10 years ago. Gowns' Red State is a top 10 album of all time and her solo stuff is roughly just as good.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

precision posted:

Erika M Anderson, formerly of Gowns and a solo artist since about 10 years ago. Gowns' Red State is a top 10 album of all time and her solo stuff is roughly just as good.

I'll check her stuff out

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

oneforthevine posted:

I love the original, but I hear this one’s *really* gruesome. Assuming Argento’s about as much as I can handle, I assume I should steer clear?

I don't remember the original so well, but this new one had some absolutely state-of-the-art body horror. Sickening stuff. But there's this relevance and urgency to it that makes it hard for me to tell you not to see it. Especially if you dug on the mythology of the original. Sorry if that's unhelpful!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

There was a mythology in the original?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I Before E posted:

There was a mythology in the original?

Based on reading wikipedia, I think so. What this new one does is it treats Argento's three mothers trilogy (which I didn't know was a thing until now) as its baseline mythology. It's some wild poo poo!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gatts posted:

we ended up fighting over dinner about the definition of good when it came to Taylor Swift videos. I couldn't believe tswift hadn't made a single good video, and my fiancee said I should just believe her. She was right. There wasn't a single video I saw that was actually good, blank space included. She has to act for moments on end and it's sad.

precision posted:

Can't agree with Rhianna. All of her recent videos have been of her in classic male roles. It rules.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bushisms.txt posted:

Can't agree with Rhianna. All of her recent videos have been of her in classic male roles. It rules.

Search "ema red star live" and tell me with a straight face it doesn't destroy you

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

oneforthevine posted:

Delicate is a really good video for a strangely astonishing song that transcends basically Swift’s whole career. It’s really different from anything else she’s written, lyrically, and it’s a shame the album surrounding it is so horrendous.

That’s my Swift take. Thanks for listening.

Shouting “one two three let’s go bitch” during that makes me extremely happy. I wasn’t crazy about Red because it came out at a lovely time in my life, but All Too Well is an all-timer as well.

Also I would die for Rihanna, and most likely will die at her hand.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yes and yes, we w nt upstairs from the jump

Or I did, she went ahead while I poked around in wooden shoe and grabbed us a bumper car

It ruled so much

I did a reading there once and one of the writing gods of Philly was seated lordly in one of the bumper cars, solemnlly eating cheese fries.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Archyduke posted:

seated lordly in one of the bumper cars, solemnlly eating cheese fries.

New thread title right here

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have loved taylor swift since I was a 14 year old girl listening to her with all my friends on the way to school camp, but I will readily admit her videos are pretty poo poo. I love her whole persona though, she's so funny.

And her songs are good. Red ruled.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gluten Freeman posted:

I have loved taylor swift since I was a 14 year old girl listening to her with all my friends on the way to school camp, but I will readily admit her videos are pretty poo poo. I love her whole persona though, she's so funny.

And her songs are good. Red ruled.

Speak Now > Red IMO. she wrote all the songs and it shows.

actually I don't like most of the slower songs on Speak Now like Innocent and Speak Now, but also Long Live and Mine and Speak Now and Sparks Fly and Mean are all stellar and Enchanted is arguably her single best song (although Style is right up there too). The thing about Swift is that she is capable of really great, beautiful, empathetic songwriting (see: Enchanted, Mean, All Too Well, Fifteen) and also really, truly embarrassing songs that don't hold up after 5 minutes let alone 5 years (Innocent, I Did Something Bad/This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things). And then also she's good for one or two nearly perfect pop song(s) per album (Style, We Are Never Getting Back Together/I Knew You Were Trouble, You Belong To Me, Don't Blame Me).

T-Swizz Album Ranking:
Speak Now
Red/1989 (these two switch depending on the day)
Fearless (she's really young and it shows but the singles
Reputation (the good songs are good but there are fewer of them and the bad songs are embarrassing)

also my favorite completely made up but incredibly plausible theory about Swift is that she sings about sensuality like someone who is either terrified of sex or terrible at it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Rihanna turned down the Super Bowl because of her support for Colin Kaepernick. That's my pop star story.

And now she appears on XXXTentacion's album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The lead character from THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE is such a dick. Also it doesn't take place in or around Manchester.

• Locked thread