Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
80s Dark Angels were Native American weren't they? I thought the secretive order stuff was a 3rd edition recon.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tekopo posted:

it'll look better when I ink them

Do you blackline your counters.

Speaking of counters, anyone played Astra Titanus before? Solitaire Ogre-style game with fleets of ships against a single AI megaship.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Gay man in Nottingham, have spoken to several people who were gay and around in the 80s. It's totally made up.

Well gently caress

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Z the IVth posted:

Do you blackline your counters.
The counters are too thin to be worth blacklining tbh

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Lungboy posted:

80s Dark Angels were Native American weren't they? I thought the secretive order stuff was a 3rd edition recon.

The Deathwing used to wear feathers as an homage to a squad of Terminators recruited from a planet populated with the descendants of native americans that sacrificed themselves in battle to ensure the survival of the rest of the chapter. It appears that they have retconned this due to the lack of feathers on the more recent monastic-knight-looking models.

And the Fall of the Dark Angels was something detailed in 2nd edition with Codex: Angels of Death.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

hey guys here's a wip picture of my armymen since others have posted theirs

Nice. I’m working on clipping my replicant space boys

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

jesus christ

I mean that was a pixel perfect representation of you, you gotta admit

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Love me some wargames me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're okay in small doses

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wargames, huh, good god what are they good for?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

LordAba posted:

Wargames, huh, good god what are they good for?

Jerking it, apparently.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Jerking it, apparently.

You can't forget the fascism.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice. I’m working on clipping my replicant space boys

What's with the big hex Black Hole and stuff? Is that from an expansion? SE4X owns a ton.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

food court bailiff posted:

What's with the big hex Black Hole and stuff? Is that from an expansion? SE4X owns a ton.

Replicators has the big hexes that make the map easier to read. You still use the white-backed chits and place the hexes once you flip them over. Still haven't looked at the replicators rules yet. SE4x does own and is my favorite of the space 4x genre. So much better than TI

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Wow, searching for "se4x" does not give good results.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Yeah, what game are you fellows referring to?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Space Empires 4X

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chill la Chill posted:

I’ve been trying to get my cat to wear a hat but I don’t think it’s happening

It's not a hat but our long slim cat is a 0-3 in baby clothes. He hated his polo but he looked so cute

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

It's not a hat but our long slim cat is a 0-3 in baby clothes. He hated his polo but he looked so cute

I demand pictures. :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I got my dog a raincoat and now he looks like a deep sea fisherman from Worlds Deadliest Catch

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 28, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good doge

food court bailiff posted:

Do you mean it takes a lot of money to get attached to a certain game from a store perspective? Because as a consumer what I like about Osprey Games (or at least Frostgrave, which I SWEAR I WILL ACTUALLY PLAY SOME DAY) is that you can play it with whatever minis you have on hand. The issue I have with getting into games (and getting friends into games) is just time.

e: bad snype. Someone save me by posting some works-in-progress or something.

Yes. It's great for just independent groups but tournament scenes kinda require the LGS to get some benefit from the community. What I also wish was more prevalent were little board game tournaments for promos. FFG is really the only one who even sponsors these due to their collectible minis/cards lines, but it would be nice to see it spread across the other asmodee lines. I know for a while there were splendor tournaments for some nice promo stacks of chips. Would be cool to see it for stuff for century spice etc. even though you'd realistically never see it for long wargames. If alternate art promo counters or player mats were a thing, I'd definitely be down. They have Here I Stand and Twilight Imperium for the WBCs anyway

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 28, 2018

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I think AEG did, or does that kind of thing for Smash Up and a couple of others.

That kind of thing is why my FLGS stopped stocking Mantic or Guild Ball: Mantic people just got all their stuff from the kickstarters, and the Guild Ball people just got stuff from Steamforged because they knew some people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Irate Tree posted:

I demand pictures. :colbert:

I don't have him in the polo I think the fiancee has those ones but here he is wearing a onesie.

He tried to back out of it for a bit and then just laid in the ground defeated

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Welp, didn't expect to have an ugly meltdown in the miniatures shitposting thread on a Sunday morning, but here we go.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Judging by how you’re framing this I’m gonna assume you’re straight. Sorry if I’m wrong.

Personally, as a mostly-straight-but-definitely-not-entirely-straight, I really like the old DA fluff? There’s so much shame associated with your feelings that it’s kinda cool to frame them like some galaxy-spanning conspiratorial secret maintained by strategic genius badasses, and it’s REALLY cool to see them being framed that way in an era where queer visibility meant “limp wristed javelin chucker from revenge of the nerds” or “loving al Pacino in cruising.”

In TYOOL 2018 we tend to just view queer representation as “out and proud,” but it’s not weird or gross or homophobic to explore being gay and not being out of the closet.

I'm bi. No worries, it would be weird if you could discern that from half a dozen forum posts.

I'm right there with you that while it'd be nice if everything could be a pride parade every day, representation is important for everybody no matter who and where they are. Out and proud isn't for everyone, and while I think a grimdark wargame is a weird place for that particular part of the queer experience, I think it'd be cool if the Dark Angels fluff touched on what it's like to be a gay man in a viciously patriarchal hell-society like the Imperium. I just don't think that's what a bunch of wargamer nerds in a small British city in the 80's had in mind.

Personal bias is definitely part of my spicy take here, because every British person I've had the misfortune of discussing sexuality with, no matter where they lie on that great big rainbow of personal preference, has been condescending at best. More often than not, they're outright aggressive shitheads and happy to tell me that I'm a bad person for getting offended that they're homophobes.

Like this!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Seeing it as "Look at these closeted whoopsies tee hee" does, and always did, say more about the person with that reaction than it did about the source material.

Die a miserable and lonely death.

Sir this is a Wendy's drive-thru, turn on your monitor, etc.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

I don't have him in the polo I think the fiancee has those ones but here he is wearing a onesie.

He tried to back out of it for a bit and then just laid in the ground defeated

I know that face quite well :smith:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Welp, didn't expect to have an ugly meltdown in the miniatures shitposting thread on a Sunday morning, but here we go.

I'm bi. No worries, it would be weird if you could discern that from half a dozen forum posts.

I'm right there with you that while it'd be nice if everything could be a pride parade every day, representation is important for everybody no matter who and where they are. Out and proud isn't for everyone, and while I think a grimdark wargame is a weird place for that particular part of the queer experience, I think it'd be cool if the Dark Angels fluff touched on what it's like to be a gay man in a viciously patriarchal hell-society like the Imperium. I just don't think that's what a bunch of wargamer nerds in a small British city in the 80's had in mind.

Personal bias is definitely part of my spicy take here, because every British person I've had the misfortune of discussing sexuality with, no matter where they lie on that great big rainbow of personal preference, has been condescending at best. More often than not, they're outright aggressive shitheads and happy to tell me that I'm a bad person for getting offended that they're homophobes.

Like this!

bruh

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I got my dog a raincoat and now he looks like a deep sea fisherman from Worlds Deadliest Catch

That's a dang good dog

Tell him he's good from me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Irate Tree posted:

I know that face quite well :smith:

I'm honestly surprised I didn't die in my sleep for that one

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Condescending aggressive shithead" has been the thread's soup du jour for the past week.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

grassy gnoll posted:

I think it'd be cool if the Dark Angels fluff touched on what it's like to be a gay man in a viciously patriarchal hell-society like the Imperium.

The Imperium is intensely genocidal, fascist and xenophobic but I've never had the impression that it was at any point patriarchal. The Emperor doesn't care about the colour of your skin or your sexual orientation as long as you purge the heretics and as willing to commit mass murder in his name. Games Workshop might not had a great track record representing this equal opportunities nature in their model line up until now, but it's definitely not something in the fluff as written. One could argue that the teenage machismo inherent to the fluff is part of the problem, if that's what you you're referring to.

Also, having lived in the UK for a fair part of my adult life I've come to realise that the average Brit is intensely reserved. If you go "loud and proud", you would be tutted at condescendingly regardless of their actual opinions on the matter at hand. The issue being with the 'loud' part. They'll tut disapprovingly at far right demonstrations even if privately they would be quite happy if all those forrins were shipped home.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I kinda want to do a dark angels army now

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

That post is literally better than any post you’ve ever made moola

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Z the IVth posted:

The Imperium is intensely genocidal, fascist and xenophobic but I've never had the impression that it was at any point patriarchal. The Emperor doesn't care about the colour of your skin or your sexual orientation as long as you purge the heretics and as willing to commit mass murder in his name. Games Workshop might not had a great track record representing this equal opportunities nature in their model line up until now, but it's definitely not something in the fluff as written. One could argue that the teenage machismo inherent to the fluff is part of the problem, if that's what you you're referring to.

I think that Games Workshop and 40k in particular are in an unfortunate bind when it comes to their setting and fluff. They have an enormous amount of back material that fans love, but which bits particular fans love are all over the place and often directly contradictory to what parts other fans love; they've gone from slapstick satire to over-the-top serious dystopianism to straight faced LOOK AT THESE IMPERIAL HEROES which creates all sorts of weird problems, and the setting has to balance "the Imperium is stupidly huge! There's so many different things going on in different places and different status-quos!" with their need for distinct looks and identities for their miniatures.

It's a pretty singular problem to have, more akin to one of the big-2 comic book universes than anything else, but I wonder how much of the Dark Imperium stuff/THINGS MAY BE DIFFERENT OVER HERE NOW in the new RPG may be trying to make space to move past some of their legacy setting issues.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

grassy gnoll posted:

Like this!

I'm very sorry about your crippling racism.

Seriously though, if you think a GW gay joke from the 80s looks like a Lionel Johnson ref, instead of Golgfag Maneater or their ever charming racist neighbour, the Spearchukka, you are giving them simultaneously too much, and not enough credit.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 28, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moola posted:

That's a dang good dog

Tell him he's good from me

I have done so, and a tail was wagged!

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
This is my cat.

He is a GW-hating enthusiast, as evidenced by the countless space marines he has chewed on, knocked off of shelves, and hidden in corners.

What a dickbag.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I've heard of the cat's pajamas, but never the cat's dockers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I got Gaslands and started 3d printing my templates and I am pretty stoked about it all.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm interested to hear how it plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ilor posted:

I'm interested to hear how it plays.

It's good, the template-based movement works well and there are varied scenario types in the book that play pretty differently. The car types are differentiated in meaningful ways, IMO, not everything is going to perform well in every type of game.