Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/dihmwhit/status/1056319091894566912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

lmao

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

If this ever happens can you mentor us, the thread orphans, to fix up cars? My post-thread aspiration is to find and take care of a nice classic Mazda or Nissan but while I'm decent with computers and electronics and stuff I know nothing about cars, actually. But I always hear you talking lovingly about taking car of your cars and it always sounds like computer talk but with moving parts.

I'll give you a pro tip.
DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN CAR RESTORATION.
It is a money sucking, soul destroying, past-time.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/Twerk17Gaming/status/1056140495318142976

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not meant to be derogatory - it's meant to be disqualifying. Roberts' fixation on the wrong things could absolutely fall into the autistic category, and it fully disqualifies him from the position he holds. I'm posted before about this and said, quite specifically, that certain types of autism can in fact be an advantage in many, many situations. This isn't one of them, and I'm not going to call it something other than what it is. I don't think you're being thin skinned, you're trying to be sensitive.

imo he fixates on details to exercise power over his employees. It's a game and every time he points out the shoelaces are all wrong it shows them who is in control. And if they don't like it and don't do what he says he will shitcan them immediately. I think above all else he is a fragile narcissist

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The language that definitely exists, for the race that definitely exists, in the expansive 100 solar system universe that definitely exists, in the game that definitely exists...

Like I make fun of fellow Star Trek nerds who learn Klingon, but its an actual fleshed out culture in multiple movies and TV series. This is just a sad man's dream of a life in space that will never fulfilled.

Scruffpuff posted:

I also like how everything, everything, these people post about this game has to have numerous references to the name of the game, the sub-moronic moniker "the 'verse", and so on. I don't see posts of some guy with a Legend of Zelda fixation constantly littered with "#Zelda #TriForce Having fun in Hyrule!" Probably because that game exists and people aren't financially invested in other people thinking a scam is real.

They need to convince themselves that SC is real, and their dreams of a life in space are valid. They also tacitly acknowledge that CIG is a money fire and they hope to proselytize to new suckers to keep Chris' glacial farce of game development going. It's telling that its always about some peripheral or meta experience surrounding the game, its never about all of the amazing game play and social experiences they're having in this seven year old pre-Alpha.

It's amazing just how much insane behavior CIG has managed to normalize, not just spending thousands on spaceship JPEG's for a nonexistent game, but actively evangelizing for it and crushing descent at every opportunity. "Fellow gamer, have you heard the good news of our lord and savior Chris Roberts?"
They're faith and monetary tithing will be rewarded in the end when Chris' vision is finally unleashed on the world and they transcend into places of honor in the MMO to end all MMO's.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 28, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Solarin posted:

imo he fixates on details to exercise power over his employees. It's a game and every time he points out the shoelaces are all wrong it shows them who is in control. And if they don't like it and don't do what he says he will shitcan them immediately. I think above all else he is a fragile narcissist

drat, that's harsh if true.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

The language that definitely exists, for the race that definitely exists, in the expansive 100 solar system universe that definitely exists, in the game that definitely exists...

Like I make fun of fellow Star Trek nerds who learn Klingon, but its an actual fleshed out culture in multiple movies and TV series. This is just a sad man's dream of a life in space that will never fulfilled.

They need to convince themselves that SC is real, and their dreams of a life in space are valid. They also tacitly acknowledge that CIG is a money fire and they hope to proselytize to new suckers to keep Chris' glacial farce of game development going. It's telling that its always about some peripheral or meta experience surrounding the game, its never about all of the amazing game play and social experiences they're having in this seven year old pre-Alpha.

It's amazing just how much insane behavior CIG has managed to normalize, not just spending thousands on spaceship JPEG's for a nonexistent game, but actively evangelizing for it and crushing descent at every opportunity. "Fellow gamer, have you heard the good news of our lord and savior Chris Roberts?"
They're faith and monetary tithing will be rewarded in the end when Chris' vision is finally unleashed on the world and they transcend into places of honor in the MMO to end all MMO's.

Remember when they trotted out the language expert to teach everyone the alien language with video tutorials

And after 2 videos he disappeared quicker than a green hamburger with lesnick around

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not meant to be derogatory - it's meant to be disqualifying. Roberts' fixation on the wrong things could absolutely fall into the autistic category, and it fully disqualifies him from the position he holds. I'm posted before about this and said, quite specifically, that certain types of autism can in fact be an advantage in many, many situations. This isn't one of them, and I'm not going to call it something other than what it is. I don't think you're being thin skinned, you're trying to be sensitive.

Solarin posted:

I think Chris uses those details to assert his authority over a project he has no real understanding of on a technical level, to maintain the facade of being a "visionary genius auteur video game director". But, he seems to have a genuine obsession with pointless details and fun crushing "realism". He is fundamentally incapable of seeing game development systemically, he can only see at as a collection of minute details that somehow build into a coherent whole. Add detailed thrusters to your ships, and somehow a flight model with "Real Newtonian Physics" will emerge. Make your spacemen as detailed and realistic as possible with fully articulating shoelaces and meters for every one of their biological functions, and somehow great gameplay will come out of that.

He's struck gold though because he managed to gather together a bunch of broke brained basement dwellers dreaming of not a game, but a fully realized life in space. They take his obsession with detail and the tiny bits of "progress" it shows like gratuitous train commutes and fully rendered space coffee you can slosh around, as heralding progress towards towards an all-encompassing simulation that they can live a new life in.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

colonelwest posted:

I think Chris uses those details to assert his authority over a project he has no real understanding of on a technical level, to maintain the facade of being a "visionary genius auteur video game director". But, he seems to have a genuine obsession with pointless details and fun crushing "realism". He is fundamentally incapable of seeing game development systemically, he can only see at as a collection of minute details that somehow build into a coherent whole. Add detailed thrusters to your ships, and somehow a flight model with "Real Newtonian Physics" will emerge. Make your spacemen as detailed and realistic as possible with fully articulating shoelaces and meters for every one of their biological functions, and somehow great gameplay will come out of that.

He's struck gold though because he managed to gather together a bunch of broke brained basement dwellers dreaming of not a game, but a fully realized life in space. They take his obsession with detail and the tiny bits of "progress" it shows like gratuitous train commutes and fully rendered space coffee you can slosh around, as heralding progress towards towards an all-encompassing simulation that they can live a new life in.

I think a lot along these lines, and I always stop myself because I think I'm going overboard, and he can't be that stupid. Sometimes it seems to me like he believes that if you just "take an engine," then "model thrusters" after you "build a ship" then there's no reason to actually design a flight engine, because all the components are already there. Sort of how in real life there is no such thing as a "flight engine" yet we have airplanes, because all of physics works together to make that, and everything else, possible. And I can't help but think after listening to Chris, and watching him in action, that on some level, that's exactly what he thinks. I can't shake that feeling.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solarin posted:

Late to this fascinating discussion, but for me too there has to be something clinical going on with someone who takes Starship Troopers so literally he repetitively mimics it in games. Sarsapariller's point about the allure of space fascism also works at the same time, because a narcissist has no introspection and a whole lot of control anxiety. He literally cannot see the connections because he doesn't exist without his projections upon others. And that's why I doubt that Chris could willingly stop this "development", it gives him everything he needs. Star Citizen can never be finished because we have always been at war with pixels.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1056311339285499904

Gotta shill those jobs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

no ring

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

4/20 No ring

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I carved the Anvil Potato

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 28, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Holy poo poo. There's no aspect of this that doesn't exceed my expectations by falling short of my expectations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The content is moving at lightspeed, that's why we can't see it!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/J2Yc9Cg.gifv

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Ddin't Elite have this since day 1?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Imagine doing this when you could learn a real language that would actually benefit you in real life if you ever decide to travel outside your basement space ship nerd pit

Oh wait nevermind

On first glance I thought he was learning Chinese / Korean / Japanese. Just like how they throw real world money for spaceships that don't exist, they throw away their time to learn something that doesn't exist and will never be implemented.

In otherwords : Topkek.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

He forgot to add another 10% for Hollywood tax

And he is only using 2 studios , dont they have 3 others ? They're easily in debt every year to the tune of 5mil, and the only thing keeping them afloat are loans with huge strings attached

The only reason they're getting the loans is because they can show taking in 30+ mil a year, but after 6 years even the stupidest loan shark will start asking how long that is sustainable for

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Blue On Blue posted:

He forgot to add another 10% for Hollywood tax

And he is only using 2 studios , dont they have 3 others ? They're easily in debt every year to the tune of 5mil, and the only thing keeping them afloat are loans with huge strings attached

The only reason they're getting the loans is because they can show taking in 30+ mil a year, but after 6 years even the stupidest loan shark will start asking how long that is sustainable for

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Agony Aunt posted:

As long as it takes after the earlier games and not X-Rebirth you should enjoy it. Just be patient, X games tend to be bugfests until the first patches are out, plus mods usually make the game a lot more fun.

Cool, good to know! I might grab an earlier one on the cheap to play with a bit.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A rundown of the thrilling space combat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VMyBt91hgw

A squad of fighters vs a hammerhead corvette. There are... a number of problems with this scenario.

* Naturally they are engaging 10 feet away from the Port O spawn point because there's really nowhere else to go and nothing to fight over. So, the stakes are extremely low but oh well.
* Around ~2m in we see them target the hammerhead and begin engaging. Note that the target box is bugged for about half the fight so you can't actually see the shield facing. Note also that the hammerhead probably has 2-3 people on turrets, meaning it only has about half its firepower available if even that.
* Despite that, it is basically invulnerable. It takes a sustained attack from 3 or 4 fighters for 3 full minutes, and doesn't even lose shield facing until they all start to focus on one segment. Because it can't maneuver and they have no momentum, this amounts to them just kind of floating in space behind it, strafing slightly to avoid the turrets but otherwise just sitting there holding down their fire buttons. There is no weapon size or type that is better on shields- I mean CIG says there is, but in reality equipping ships is such a huge waste of time that nobody does it. ~6:04 is good time stamp to see what I mean.
* The "Lead Target" reticles are so poorly calculated that you cannot hit a ship that is 20x bigger than you, from less than a km away, while shooting directly into them.
* CIG definitely hasn't "Implemented Armor" since the last time we saw a hammerhead in action a week ago, and it died in 6 seconds. So it looks like what they actually did was just give it the biggest loving health pool possible. So now the ships have to DPS through 8 million hit points, or whatever. That might be cool, gradually wearing it down, except:
* Repair and damage isn't really modeled of course so none of that DPS will have any effect on the Hammerhead until the very last shot.
* Note the "Subtle" fade-out at ~6m, before any one of the ships in the fight had died. This is probably an attempt to obscure that at this point everything in the server was severely desynced. That is what usually happens to me if fights go over 2 or 3 minutes.

That's Star Citizen combat in a nutshell. Ultra low stakes, the player requirements don't make any sense, the most expensive P2W chariot is tuned to basically be invulnerable to the smallest, the flight model is non-existent, the shooting feels like you're throwing marshmallows that half the time don't go where you intended them to. In the end the fight ends because both sides get bored or the server begins to die, not because anyone scored a kill.

--

Bonus: hey remember when all the Goons bought bombers so they could go around killing capital ships? Yeah here's how that actually worked out in-game. (Spoiler alert: the hammerhead can eat 9 anti-capship torpedos without issue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlt25kI3E8c

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

A squad of fighters vs a hammerhead corvette. There are... a number of problems with this scenario.

* Naturally they are engaging 10 feet away from the Port O spawn point because there's really nowhere else to go and nothing to fight over. So, the stakes are extremely low but oh well.
* Around ~2m in we see them target the hammerhead and begin engaging. Note that the target box is bugged for about half the fight so you can't actually see the shield facing. Note also that the hammerhead probably has 2-3 people on turrets, meaning it only has about half its firepower available if even that.
* Despite that, it is basically invulnerable. It takes a sustained attack from 3 or 4 fighters for 3 full minutes, and doesn't even lose shield facing until they all start to focus on one segment. Because it can't maneuver and they have no momentum, this amounts to them just kind of floating in space behind it, strafing slightly to avoid the turrets but otherwise just sitting there holding down their fire buttons. There is no weapon size or type that is better on shields- I mean CIG says there is, but in reality equipping ships is such a huge waste of time that nobody does it. ~6:04 is good time stamp to see what I mean.
* The "Lead Target" reticles are so poorly calculated that you cannot hit a ship that is 20x bigger than you, from less than a km away, while shooting directly into them.
* CIG definitely hasn't "Implemented Armor" since the last time we saw a hammerhead in action a week ago, and it died in 6 seconds. So it looks like what they actually did was just give it the biggest loving health pool possible. So now the ships have to DPS through 8 million hit points, or whatever. That might be cool, gradually wearing it down, except:
* Repair and damage isn't really modeled of course so none of that DPS will have any effect on the Hammerhead until the very last shot.
* Note the "Subtle" fade-out at ~6m, before any one of the ships in the fight had died. This is probably an attempt to obscure that at this point everything in the server was severely desynced. That is what usually happens to me if fights go over 2 or 3 minutes.

That's Star Citizen combat in a nutshell. Ultra low stakes, the player requirements don't make any sense, the most expensive P2W chariot is tuned to basically be invulnerable to the smallest, the flight model is non-existent, the shooting feels like you're throwing marshmallows that half the time don't go where you intended them to. In the end the fight ends because both sides get bored or the server begins to die, not because anyone scored a kill.

--

Bonus: hey remember when all the Goons bought bombers so they could go around killing capital ships? Yeah here's how that actually worked out in-game. (Spoiler alert: the hammerhead can eat 9 anti-capship torpedos without issue)

I'm the custom handcrafted full orchestral score that becomes so loud and annoying the streamer has to mute the music volume

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

--

that gameplay video is so fuckin tedious lol, like, its just this repetitive lo-fi star wars laser sound over and over. love to peer through the 25% of screen space not occluded by my insane esoteric UI and throw nerf darts through space until they overheat two or three dozen times

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm the custom handcrafted full orchestral score that becomes so loud and annoying the streamer has to mute the music volume

I'm the hardcore PVP fighter squadron of hotshot rocket jocks who literally cannot keep their cursors still on a giant, stationary target from about 500 meters.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no_recall posted:

Ddin't Elite have this since day 1?

Not exactly, we don't have NPCs manning turrets. From launch they just worked based on your targetting. However, the only different really is we don't see an NPC sat in the turret pressing buttons. Functionally its identical. You can either tell the turrets to act as fixed forward firing guns, to automatically fire at your locked target, or to fire at will, which i guess is pretty much the same as you would give instructions to any NPCs.

In short, NPCs in turrets is just a model thing and not really anything special from a functionality point of view.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also at 3:16 you can totally see the desync start to kick in as the corvette begins to teleport around and missiles begin to caress the hull instead of exploding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VMyBt91hgw&t=190s

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Functionally its identical. You can either tell the turrets to act as fixed forward firing guns, to automatically fire at your locked target, or to fire at will, which i guess is pretty much the same as you would give instructions to any NPCs.

(You can't do either of those things in Star Citizen)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

lol @ 3:43 the hammerhead just disappears and reappears 200m away

I'm confused, what is the purpose of the EM and IR readout on the hud, I assume the top left is the player, and the top right is the target?

Because it's the same read-out for both ships, pause the video at any point and one of them is always the same

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 28, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LOL, the dissonance is funny.

Sure, ED has its faults, and i think most players acknowledge those, and more importantly, FD do as well. But its been released for 4 years and given many players hundreds or thousands of hours of enjoyment.

SC on the other hand, a game made by someone who constantly hypes, lies, and says whatever it takes to secure more funding, is still in alpha, a buggy mess, and still has no release in sight, and yet somehow is already better than ED? And the fans will either not admit the failings or defend it with ITS ALPHA!

What is it Citizens say? "I'd rather have a good game later than a crappy game now."

Well, sorry Citizens, but you have a crap game now, and you might still have a crap game upon release as well.

Its all very subjective which games you like, but at least ED is something playable, and for those who enjoy it, its a great game. I'm not sure how many people can tryly say they enjoy SC in its current state.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Blue On Blue posted:

lol @ 3:43 the hammerhead just disappears and reappears 200m away

I'm confused, what is the purpose of the EM and IR readout on the hud, I assume the top left is the player, and the top right is the target?

Because it's the same read-out for both ships, pause the video at any point and one of them is always the same

The point is to make the UI look very complicated and technological.

In reality, it's supposed to be your "Signature" such that others can lock onto you. But obviously everyone can target everyone else at the same range, and also the player's graph is just copy-pasted over where the targets should be. It's just more useless gewgaws crammed into the game because someone on the design team thought it would be super tactical and cool, but then nobody knew how to make them work so the whole thing was just summarily dropped, but then nobody knew how to take them out either so now it's just there forever, on every screen.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 28, 2018

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

The point is to make the UI look very complicated and technological.

In reality, it's supposed to be your "Signature" such that others can lock onto you. But obviously everyone can target everyone else at the same range, and also the player's graph is just copy-pasted over where the targets should be. It's just more useless gewgaws crammed into the game because someone on the design team thought it would be super tactical and cool, but then nobody knew how to make them work so the whole thing was just summarily dropped, but then nobody knew hot to take them out either so now it's just there forever, on every screen.

like the forced FPS stage show they did

'ok guys stay frosty, alpha niner fiver ... they could be anywhere' *sksssst*

'dude did you just make the radio click noise yourself'

'HEADS ON A SWIVEL RED TEAM GO !' *sksssst*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

Also at 3:16 you can totally see the desync start to kick in as the corvette begins to teleport around and missiles begin to caress the hull instead of exploding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VMyBt91hgw&t=190s

Im not loving crazy.

The vid is the same fight twice?

3:16 and 11:00 has like... the exact same attack sequence, jump to lightspeed and re-appear, approqch, and attack.

Why?

If its two separate fights why does it look exactly the same?

Help

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

colonelwest posted:

Chris is basically Donald Trump in developer form.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
LOOK AT THIS SICK 11MIN DOGFIGHT OF A SQUADRON VS A HAMMERHEAD *splices the same video twice*

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jobbo_Fett posted:

LOOK AT THIS SICK 11MIN DOGFIGHT OF A SQUADRON VS A HAMMERHEAD *splices the same video twice*

I watched maybe 30 seconds of it and lost interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I'm sure a good player in a starter ship would be able to beat those ships with some good piloting!