Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Artic Puma posted:

First time dark souls player (loving it!) who has found a ton of different places to go and is looking for some advice on where to go next pretty early in the game:

your expected next path is the gargoyles. you have probably also found a key that will open the door at the start of the dragon bridge which will lead you to new places you can also progress in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

b_d posted:

your expected next path is the gargoyles. you have probably also found a key that will open the door at the start of the dragon bridge which will lead you to new places you can also progress in.

Thanks! I did have that key so checking out that area now.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
If you're having trouble with the gargoyles, if you're in human form you can summon an NPC to help out. His summon sign is in one of the rooms leading up to the church roof.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

KingSlime posted:

Is that related to the wonder boy game on switch? Sure looks like wonder boy to me

Yeah, same series. No retro mode this time though. This is a reimagining of Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Toebone posted:

If you're having trouble with the gargoyles, if you're in human form you can summon an NPC to help out. His summon sign is in one of the rooms leading up to the church roof.

Yeah, those gargoyles easily succumb to some jolly cooperation.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My left joycon isn't latching to anything fully securely--pinning the stick upward is sometimes enough to jerk it loose from either the switch or the grip. Is this something I might be able to fix with some poking around?

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, those gargoyles easily succumb to some jolly cooperation.

Thanks all! I took Solaire and Karim to the fight and it made it a little too easy, haha.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

My left joycon isn't latching to anything fully securely--pinning the stick upward is sometimes enough to jerk it loose from either the switch or the grip. Is this something I might be able to fix with some poking around?

Sounds like the bit that gets pulled in when you press the release button has broken off.

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

Ciaphas posted:

Plenty of kits to fix that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Peewi posted:

Sounds like the bit that gets pulled in when you press the release button has broken off.

I guess so, or a piece of it anyway--it's still sticking on something, and stays latched if I'm gentle with the stick. I'll look around, thanks.

(edit) While I'm at it, there any other useful mods that can be done to this thing besides the latch or the shell (the splatoon colors are fine thank you :colbert:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 28, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Full Metal Furies and Astebreed were quietly added to the Coming Soon section, listed to release the 6th and the 8th respectively

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Those brawler type games aren't really my thing but Full Metal Furies seemed like a pretty fun one when I checked it out. Good goofy characters

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

bought zelda botw about 5 hours ago, 3mins left to finish downloading. im half in the bag now should i wait until tomorrow to play or does it not matter if i only vaguely remember the tutorial/intro ?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The jokes are funnier if you're buzzed, and you'll still be in the tutorial area tomorrow, it's huge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1056404260425027584?s=19

https://twitter.com/mizabitha/status/1056404532513595392?s=19

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kly posted:

bought zelda botw about 5 hours ago, 3mins left to finish downloading. im half in the bag now should i wait until tomorrow to play or does it not matter if i only vaguely remember the tutorial/intro ?

You'll be up all night if you start it now. The tutorial is organic and pretty long.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I have a hardware question that someone here might be able to answer.

I swapped out my left joycon's shell today for a new atomic purple one. The buttons, new dpad, etc all work, but there's one problem. When I slide the joycon onto the console itself, the joycon will start charging, but the switch itself doesn't register that a joycon has been attached. I can see the little animation play on the left hand side of the screen showing that something has been attached, but the switch still reads it as being a split joycon, and won't switch to hand held mode. Anyone know what might have caused this, some setting I can change to manually force the joycon into handheld mode, or some part or antenna that might need to be adjusted for this to work properly?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've had that happen on stock unmodified joycons before. I don't know what causes it, but I usually have to restart the Switch, try pairing the joycon again, or some combination of the two to fix it. It's a very rare occurrence at least but it is frustrating when it happens in the middle of a game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Just got done playing some Starlink for the day, and now that I've gotten a fair piece in I want to leave some of my thoughts here. I've got Fox to level 20 and I've fully secured 4 planets and blown up three dreadnoughts.

I'm still enjoying this game a great deal. I was a little worried when the reviews started dropping and I hadn't gotten very far into it yet, but I've come to think that a lot of those reviewers were basically...not playing the game correctly. Dreadnought fights for example were commonly described as messy and the game's difficulty skewing towards encouraging you to blow through ships to clear content, and I've found that neither of these things are true. In dreadnought fights you only get overwhelmed if you don't destroy the waves of fighters inbetween turrets. If you do, the fights proceed like a series of dogfights punctuated by bombing runs on the dreadnought itself, finally ending in a sweet Return of the Jedi trench run. They're fairly infrequent, and so far one of my favorite action bits in the game. Also blowing through ships means you aren't prepared, you really want your pilot to have some expertise in at least a couple ships and if you find yourself running down the whole list, you need to reevaluate what you're doing.

Progression has been smooth. As I move about completing objectives it actually does feel like it matters when you build outposts- rando nps allies are actually surprisingly useful when they're nearby, and sometimes they'll even take down objectives on their own. When you really get into the push and pull of the overall war, the strategic layer really shines. There's always plenty to do, and if you proceed through your story (and starfox) missions as you come to them moving counterclockwise around the starmap there's a steady drumbeat of new stuff to do outside of the core legion-fighting gameplay loop. Also everything is just really, really pretty and flying around is generally a treat.

I can understand why the toys would throw off the reviews though. I can imagine the difficulty being pretty fucky if I didn't have access to the full suite of elemental combos and all those ships you get in the digital version. Altogether the game is good, and I think underrated, but it's hard to argue that the disparity between the physical and digital versions makes it hard to really grade effectively.

Also my roommate has been watching me play it a lot, and yesterday he commented that it looked like the best Star Fox game since 64, and at first I tried to quibble but I really can't. If you don't really consider the non space shooter starfoxes 'Starfox' games, than it probably is. I liked Star Fox Adventures, for the record.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Starlink is very different from Star Fox games, structure-wise and gameplay wise for the most part. That said, the Arwing ship does play a little bit more like Star Fox than most. I do like that they made the Arwing fast and fragile rather than middle of the road. (is it worth using the Arwing's laser cannons for anything, since you can't seem to upgrade them?)

However, the presentation and music for the Star Fox team is full of references and pretty much comes off as them dropped off straight from their own series into this one (and they fit the genre perfectly) so it's hard to complain it's not a good game where you can play as Fox.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(is it worth using the Arwing's laser cannons for anything, since you can't seem to upgrade them?)

I duplicated the mod that increases their power [You find it during the Outlaw Base Star Fox mission, if you don't have it go back in the base and open a chest] and even massively overleveled and in late-game their damage just isn't up to snuff. The inability to fully mod them like other weapons means they'll never be able to catch up to even something as simple as Dual Shredders, and having to sacrifice ship mods that increase your durability just to make them half as good as other weapons means you're really going to feel that lack of strength when outlaws or legion drakes overwhelm you in space.

They're a fun way to cherry tap 1v1 engagements, though!

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I am still just messing about on the intro planet...I keep going to the markers on the map that say there is a reward for completing them, and they are x number of 17 or something...but I never seem to get a reward from them, is it something I actually have to search the thing to find? Also no matter how many places I go the list of discovered stuff doesn't really seem tp update, not sure what's going on there. Might restart the game today since I'm not so tired and hopefully remember what the tutorial is trying to tell me.

I love the feeling of flight in this, it's ridiculous how well they've done it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Crashed spaceships have a cache somewhere that you have to manually open, as do abandoned settlements (which you can also liberate by destroying all the enemies around them) where the interior is usually sealed off by some elemental barrier. The alien ruin thingies usually have some elemental puzzle dealio going on, I think.

A lot of the larger wrecks have mini-puzzles going on. It's a bit Zelda-y.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Artic Puma posted:

First time dark souls player (loving it!) who has found a ton of different places to go and is looking for some advice on where to go next pretty early in the game:

I defeated Taurus Demon and made it through the undead parish. I also found the elevator back to firelink. The bell gargoyles seem too strong for me to fight right now. I can get the first one down to half health pretty easy but once the second one wakes up I get wrecked. I managed to get a tail axe from it one time, but it seems too heavy to use well.

I also found the path to darkroot garden. I made it to a boss? door which has three giant dudes past it that are sleeping? until you get close. They seem too strong to fight too. I ran past them one time and got massacred by some giant butterfly.

I also found a path down into the Darkroot Basin but it splits in two with one half leading to a bunch of dudes made of diamond and a giant thing shooting magic at me and the other path has one of the really strong knight types you run into occasionally. I haven't had any success killing one of those guys yet.

I also have the options of fighting the skeletons in firelink, or the ghosts below firelink but neither of those seem like a good way to go.

Just wondering if one of these paths is where I am expected to go next, or if I am missing something. If it matters my build is a warrior I think, and I have been boosting strength, dexterity, vitality and the stat that lets me carry more stuff. My recent favorite weapon has been the halberd.

Since it's your first time, Summoning is a nice way to learn the fights, it does increase the boss' health though.

You should be able to kill the Moonlight Butterfly, It's not "hard," you just have to learn how to dodge the magic bolts, or find the magic defense shield. Most of the bosses are just intense pattern recognition, to the point where people can beat the game without leveling.

One of my favorite early moments in base DS2 is entering the tower of flame, coming across a really hard boss from DS1, and just destroying him with barely any level ups just because I fought him a ton trying to help other players overcome his speed bump. A friend couldn't get past the fight in DS2, and let me try it with weapons I wasn't fond of, and managed to do it on one Estus Flask, which was from a mistake I made from being over confident about mid way through the fight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anora posted:

Since it's your first time, Summoning is a nice way to learn the fights, it does increase the boss' health though.

You should be able to kill the Moonlight Butterfly, It's not "hard," you just have to learn how to dodge the magic bolts, or find the magic defense shield. Most of the bosses are just intense pattern recognition, to the point where people can beat the game without leveling.

One of my favorite early moments in base DS2 is entering the tower of flame, coming across a really hard boss from DS1, and just destroying him with barely any level ups just because I fought him a ton trying to help other players overcome his speed bump. A friend couldn't get past the fight in DS2, and let me try it with weapons I wasn't fond of, and managed to do it on one Estus Flask, which was from a mistake I made from being over confident about mid way through the fight.

lvl1 runs in DS1 aren't even that difficult once you know what you are doing since most of your damage comes from weapon upgrades

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
These Starlink bozos are lucky as hell that a competent cartoon animal brigade turned up to solve all their problems for them.

Games alright, pretty mindless shooty fun in a well optimized NMS star system. I'm a bit confused by the Inventory system, I seem to always be full of stuff I don't know what to do with, but other stuff I can pick up endless amounts of. I couldn't find an inventory tab in thr menus either so I guess I just have 5/5 red circles forever.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i have $30AU of eshop credit, give me your finest game recommendations one and all

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Okami
Golf Story
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Yoku's Island Express

If you like Metroidvanias with an actual personality + good gameplay:
Hollow Knight
Owlboy
Iconoclasts

Semi decent Tower Defense:
Pixeljunk Monsters 2

Everything should be $30 and under

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Sam Faust posted:

Just Shapes & Beats is very good. If you like platformers, Slime-san is pretty good too.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Gardens Between is on sale for ~20aud too and is a lovely puzzle game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPlS_jHOuE

It is only a few hours though if you're trying to really stretch this credit out lol

Knorth fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 28, 2018

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Infinitum posted:

If you like Metroidvanias with an actual personality + good gameplay:

Owlboy

Owlboy is not a Metroidvania and I don't think it's that good either. It looks real pretty though.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

THUMPER

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Phillby posted:

These Starlink bozos are lucky as hell that a competent cartoon animal brigade turned up to solve all their problems for them.

Games alright, pretty mindless shooty fun in a well optimized NMS star system. I'm a bit confused by the Inventory system, I seem to always be full of stuff I don't know what to do with, but other stuff I can pick up endless amounts of. I couldn't find an inventory tab in thr menus either so I guess I just have 5/5 red circles forever.

I can't find the inventory either, but Observatories will take some stuff and Refineries will take the rest.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenik posted:

I have a hardware question that someone here might be able to answer.

I swapped out my left joycon's shell today for a new atomic purple one. The buttons, new dpad, etc all work, but there's one problem. When I slide the joycon onto the console itself, the joycon will start charging, but the switch itself doesn't register that a joycon has been attached. I can see the little animation play on the left hand side of the screen showing that something has been attached, but the switch still reads it as being a split joycon, and won't switch to hand held mode. Anyone know what might have caused this, some setting I can change to manually force the joycon into handheld mode, or some part or antenna that might need to be adjusted for this to work properly?

I had something similar happen on my right Joycon. Taking it apart again and reseating the ribbon cables fixed it.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Pijeus posted:

I am still just messing about on the intro planet...I keep going to the markers on the map that say there is a reward for completing them, and they are x number of 17 or something...but I never seem to get a reward from them, is it something I actually have to search the thing to find? Also no matter how many places I go the list of discovered stuff doesn't really seem tp update, not sure what's going on there. Might restart the game today since I'm not so tired and hopefully remember what the tutorial is trying to tell me.

I love the feeling of flight in this, it's ridiculous how well they've done it.

I had a glitch where I wasn’t able to do any scanning of caches and the like, but I didn’t realized it was a glitch until after i beat the game and reset the game at some point. So maybe close and restart the game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

alf_pogs posted:

i have $30AU of eshop credit, give me your finest game recommendations one and all

If you want the most bang for your buck and you like Zelda games at all, definitely Okami. Game is long as gently caress, and also gorgeous. I love that game to bits.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just added an hour and a half to my Starlink time this morning reading the hundreds of log entries I previously ignored

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

gently caress YEA

Also Okami.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elman posted:

Owlboy is not a Metroidvania and I don't think it's that good either. It looks real pretty though.

Seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I found i can plug my dock into my PC monitor since i use DVI for my PC and have a HDMI slot to spare, but is there anything to do about the sound in that scenario?