Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Why are usb 3 motherboard connectors such poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Because at some point after IDE became obsolete and before USB 3 was codified, we forgot how to do motherboard connectors that didn't suck.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeep posted:

I finally got around to buying the insides for the Dan A4 v3 that I pre-ordered back in February and everything looks like it fits fine except when I try to put the side panels on the RAM is about 2mm too tall for the AIO pipes to fit over and the PSU cables stick out about 1mm too far from the bottom of the PSU for the fan to spin and I've managed to snap off two pins from the USB3 header on the motherboard trying to squeeze everything in and I can't decide if I should buy an ITX GPU, ditch the AIO for air cooling, ditch the case for an NCase or invent a time machine so I can go back in time 8 months and repeatedly kick myself in the dick every time I look at the Dan website.

Did you get the Corsair psu? I have one of these cases on order, just deciding on the insides.

One of the builds I saw has all the psu cables separated into individual strands to help fit between the psu and the noctua on the AIO. Think or looked like a Silverstone logo maybe...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yeep posted:

I finally got around to buying the insides for the Dan A4 v3 that I pre-ordered back in February and everything looks like it fits fine except when I try to put the side panels on the RAM is about 2mm too tall for the AIO pipes to fit over and the PSU cables stick out about 1mm too far from the bottom of the PSU for the fan to spin and I've managed to snap off two pins from the USB3 header on the motherboard trying to squeeze everything in and I can't decide if I should buy an ITX GPU, ditch the AIO for air cooling, ditch the case for an NCase or invent a time machine so I can go back in time 8 months and repeatedly kick myself in the dick every time I look at the Dan website.

What specific parts do you have in there?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

orcane posted:

What specific parts do you have in there?

It's this:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: DAN Cases - A4-SFX V3-B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone - 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

The SSD and GPU came from my old PC. I'll upgrade the GPU at some point but I don't have the cash right now and I'm waiting to see how 1080 prices change in the next couple of weeks anway. I had to take the backplate off the 7970 to fit it in around the radiator pipes. It actually runs in Windows fine without a fan on the radiator but I'm not going to risk any kind of load. The PSU cables are really stiff and the plugs stick out just a little bit too far to fit both them and the radiator pipes between the Noctua NF-A9x14 I've got on the AIO. Better cables would be an option but they're really expensive. Plus I can't find any way to route the pipes around the RAM either so they have to go over and then the side of the case won't go on, and the radiator won't mount backwards as far as I can see.

I think I'm just going to order a Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler from Amazon Prime today and either shelve the AIO until I can find a decent ITX 1080 for cheap or sell it and write off the loss as a learning experience.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Isn't the extra tall RAM the main source of incompatibility here?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Yeep posted:

The PSU cables are really stiff and the plugs stick out just a little bit too far to fit both them and the radiator pipes between the Noctua NF-A9x14 I've got on the AIO. Better cables would be an option but they're really expensive.

knox_harrington posted:

One of the builds I saw has all the psu cables separated into individual strands to help fit between the psu and the noctua on the AIO.

Do this, it helps a lot yet cost absolutely nothing.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Shanghaied posted:

Do this, it helps a lot yet cost absolutely nothing.

Llamadeus posted:

Isn't the extra tall RAM the main source of incompatibility here?

The cables are pretty separated after 4 hours of trying to squeeze everything in. I can get the fan spinning but when I put the sides on everything shifts slightly and the cables settle back down into the blades. I think part of the problem is the back radiator pipe is stretched tight over the RAM which means there's even less room than normal. The Trident RAM looked like it had a fairly sensible sized heatsink as far as performance memory goes but you're right, it is the root cause of my problems.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Probably too early to ask as you are still finishing the build Yeep, but I'm assuming you are running an asetek 92mm AIO? What kind of temperatures are you getting with the 8700k? Is the lack of direct airflow over the motherboard a problem, since there is only an AIO fan at the bottom?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Shanghaied posted:

Probably too early to ask as you are still finishing the build Yeep, but I'm assuming you are running an asetek 92mm AIO? What kind of temperatures are you getting with the 8700k? Is the lack of direct airflow over the motherboard a problem, since there is only an AIO fan at the bottom?

I gave up and bought an air cooler. I couldn't see any way of getting things to fit in properly and having already broken the USB header I was getting increasingly paranoid about breaking something more expensive. I didn't manage to get the AIO fan running or the case closed so there was no point doing any sort of stress test. It ran fine for web browsing with no fan on the radiator though, I managed to play a bit of Diablo 3 too and it never got too warm to touch. The CPU was hovering at about 4.6ghz if that helps.

reL
May 20, 2007

I did a node 202 build because I am foolish. I used tridentz ram because it would fit, but then decided to use the big shuriken rev 2 CPU cooler, again because I'm foolish.

I wound up prying the heatspreaders off of the ram. I did not have the RGB version, I imagine that changes things, but it may be an option for you...

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Yeep posted:

I gave up and bought an air cooler. I couldn't see any way of getting things to fit in properly and having already broken the USB header I was getting increasingly paranoid about breaking something more expensive. I didn't manage to get the AIO fan running or the case closed so there was no point doing any sort of stress test. It ran fine for web browsing with no fan on the radiator though, I managed to play a bit of Diablo 3 too and it never got too warm to touch. The CPU was hovering at about 4.6ghz if that helps.

Oh man that really sucks. I'm using a Ncase m1 now, but I've caught the SFF bug bad and really want to move to a Dan a4. But it seems to go small and quiet with a 8700k you pretty much have to delid and under-volt with air cooler, or mess around with the asetek AIO. Plus I'm also waiting for Samsung's cheaper 4TB QLC SSD to drop, so that I can fit all my digital hoardings neatly into one small box, without having to listen to harddisk noise.

One day...

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Shanghaied posted:

Oh man that really sucks. I'm using a Ncase m1 now, but I've caught the SFF bug bad and really want to move to a Dan a4. But it seems to go small and quiet with a 8700k you pretty much have to delid and under-volt with air cooler, or mess around with the asetek AIO. Plus I'm also waiting for Samsung's cheaper 4TB QLC SSD to drop, so that I can fit all my digital hoardings neatly into one small box, without having to listen to harddisk noise.

One day...

The Asetek would be fine with the right combination of motherboard, PSU and RAM. Unfortunately my SFX PSU has been hanging out the back of my old PC since my previous one died back at Christmas so I couldn't return that, and by the time I gave up trying to make things fit it was too scuffed anyway. I got a good enough deal on the RAM that finding an alternative would have meant dropping down to 16GB to stay within budget, which is annoying because it's only about 3mm too tall. The Noctua air cooler is pretty quiet even under load (way quieter than the awful fans on my 6 year old 7970) and the cpu temperature seems to stabilise at around 76c when I run the Intel stress test without delidding or undervolting. If the RAM wasn't an issue I reckon I could have made things work just fine with some aftermarket PSU cables.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Got a node 304 for my PC upgrade and am kinda worried about getting the RTX 2080 to fit after seeing how huge the heatsink on it actually is.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Getting close to pulling the trigger on my first mini-ITX build, but have one final concern. If I'm going with this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nBzCMZ
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($115.93 @ Walmart)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue Mobile 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.78 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Silverstone - ML08B-H HTPC Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($114.86 @ OutletPC)
Total: $955.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 10:39 EDT-0400

Will I have issues with the CPU cooler stackup being too tall for the case? Google search seems to indicate you can just barely fit the CPU pack-in Wraith Spire cooler in the case if you pop off the LED shroud (don't want the LEDs anyway). Anyone on here have direct experience with this case and cooler combo?

If it doesn't fit or is a terrible idea, how do people feel about the Cryorig C7 as a replacement cooler?

Edit: Ah, just re-read your build writeup Mooktastical. Would you still recommend going with the DeepCool Gabriel?

2nd Edit: And now I'm not clear if the Gabriel is AM4 compatible...

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 21, 2018

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

mkultra419 posted:

Getting close to pulling the trigger on my first mini-ITX build, but have one final concern. If I'm going with this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nBzCMZ
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($115.93 @ Walmart)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue Mobile 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.78 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Silverstone - ML08B-H HTPC Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($114.86 @ OutletPC)
Total: $955.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 10:39 EDT-0400

Will I have issues with the CPU cooler stackup being too tall for the case? Google search seems to indicate you can just barely fit the CPU pack-in Wraith Spire cooler in the case if you pop off the LED shroud (don't want the LEDs anyway). Anyone on here have direct experience with this case and cooler combo?

If it doesn't fit or is a terrible idea, how do people feel about the Cryorig C7 as a replacement cooler?

Edit: Ah, just re-read your build writeup Mooktastical. Would you still recommend going with the DeepCool Gabriel?

2nd Edit: And now I'm not clear if the Gabriel is AM4 compatible...

Honestly, if the Wraith will fit, you should use it. If you must get a new cooler, I recommend the Scythe Shuriken . It'll work with AM4, but no idea how it'll knock into the RAM or VRMs. You're going to be paying $40 for a negligible improvement in temps, though, which is why I think it'd be wiser to stick with the Wraith.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Still waiting on the video card to get delivered today to get the system up and running, but I finished the rest of assembly yesterday and can confirm that if you pop the top shroud off the Wraith Spire cooler it will just barely fit in the Silverstone ML08 case without touching the side panel. Just FYI if anyone else looks at a build like this in the future.

Hooboy do I need to work on cable management now though. No room to hide in this case versus the cavernous ATX tower I've been using. I appreciate that half the components shipped with little baggies of zipties.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

mkultra419 posted:

Still waiting on the video card to get delivered today to get the system up and running, but I finished the rest of assembly yesterday and can confirm that if you pop the top shroud off the Wraith Spire cooler it will just barely fit in the Silverstone ML08 case without touching the side panel. Just FYI if anyone else looks at a build like this in the future.

Hooboy do I need to work on cable management now though. No room to hide in this case versus the cavernous ATX tower I've been using. I appreciate that half the components shipped with little baggies of zipties.

From what I have read on Smallformfactor.net, when you have coolers that are extremely close to the side wall they tend to run louder and hotter then if there was space there. I forget the sweet spot, but there was a certain number of mm that was the minimum standoff to avoid increased heat and noise.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ceros_X posted:

From what I have read on Smallformfactor.net, when you have coolers that are extremely close to the side wall they tend to run louder and hotter then if there was space there. I forget the sweet spot, but there was a certain number of mm that was the minimum standoff to avoid increased heat and noise.

This applies to the Skyreach cases as well and it's ideally a centimeter or so. Closer than 5mm from the grills/vents is always pretty bad and loud though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm getting the case itch again. I basically want a Sugo SG13 but with better quality materials and a silver/white finish. Maybe something that was way higher CPU cooler clearance but that's kinda asking a bunch for a case that small.

Sorta unrelatedly, I think im switching to M.2's this Black Friday/Cyber Monday. 2 2.5" SSDs dont take up much room, but the 4 extra cables they require make a lot of mess.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

buglord posted:

I'm getting the case itch again. I basically want a Sugo SG13 but with better quality materials and a silver/white finish. Maybe something that was way higher CPU cooler clearance but that's kinda asking a bunch for a case that small.

Sorta unrelatedly, I think im switching to M.2's this Black Friday/Cyber Monday. 2 2.5" SSDs dont take up much room, but the 4 extra cables they require make a lot of mess.

Silverstone also has a couple interesting stx cases, the VT01 or 2. I think I might get a VT02 just as a base for some future project; I have a similar case by them and it's good, heavier than you'd expect. I'd think the SG13 is probably fine, i've been happy with my other silverstone cases.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

buglord posted:

Seems like the silver NCase is the logical choice here

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Hi thread! I'm putting together a build this fall and while I've built a dozen or so PC's I think for the first time I am going to do a sff build.

Looking at putting a 9600k and a 1070ti in a z390 board and at the moment I am looking at doing it in the Fractal Design Nano S.

https://goo.gl/NemGoy

So I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that case, good or bad. I am also open to other case suggestions along similar lines that I might have a better experience with.
Thanks!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

emocrat posted:

Hi thread! I'm putting together a build this fall and while I've built a dozen or so PC's I think for the first time I am going to do a sff build.

Looking at putting a 9600k and a 1070ti in a z390 board and at the moment I am looking at doing it in the Fractal Design Nano S.

https://goo.gl/NemGoy

So I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that case, good or bad. I am also open to other case suggestions along similar lines that I might have a better experience with.
Thanks!

Nano S owner here! It is actually quite big for a mini-itx case, so unless you go for some ridiculous components you won't have any trouble fitting a standard CPU cooler and GPU inside, while still having some room left. Remember that this case was designed with water cooling in mind.
The only recommendation I'd have is to use a SFF PSU, because it sits quite close to the GPU and you'll want some breathing room to keep temperatures low. For other stuff like case fans etc. I'll leave it to someone more experienced to weight in.
Otherwise, FD cases are really well put together and great to work with. As for other cases, I think the Ncase M1 is basically a Nano S with the extra room removed if I remember right.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks!

Do you have a suggestion for an SFX power supply?

Are you water cooling yours? Is this a serious concern for me that air cooling would be insufficient and I might run into problems? I am not really interested in doing an AIO.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

emocrat posted:

Thanks!

Do you have a suggestion for an SFX power supply?

Are you water cooling yours? Is this a serious concern for me that air cooling would be insufficient and I might run into problems? I am not really interested in doing an AIO.

Either Corsair or Silverstone (see OP), both seem to be equivalent. They might be a bit louder than regular PSUs though.

No water cooling on mine, air cooling is plenty sufficient unless you go for some high overclocking.
What I meant by saying that the case was designed with water cooling in mind is that it is big enough to house an AIO + radiator if you want, not that it is necessary to have it. On the contrary, the bigger volume actually helps with air cooling as well!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Corsair because the last time I was reading reviews the SF-line was better than the competition, and there are slightly better Platinum versions now (these apparently come with individually sleeved cables which should make them easier to install than the super stiff ribbon cables the original Gold versions use).

Also the Corsair SF450/600 are SFX units, not SFX-L as listed in the OP.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 25, 2018

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
If you are in Canada I have a 1 month old SF600 Gold that needs a new home. PM me

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Olivil posted:

If you are in Canada I have a 1 month old SF600 Gold that needs a new home. PM me

I am in the US unfortunately. Not sure what you would want for it or what shipping to the US would add, but if your interested I can post my email quickly, I don;t have PMS. Thanks.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Corsair SF PSUs also all have seven-year warranties, compared to Silverstone which max out at 5 for platinum/titanium units and are only 3 for gold.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I started on a mini ITX build a while ago and have abandoned it, so now I've got myself a Phanteks Shift X case that has no guts for me to fill it with. It's a real nice case and while rather large for a mini ITX case, I'm not about to sit around looking at a case that has nothing in it. Willing to let it go for $50 + shipping which makes it roughly 50% of the original pricing including shipping I think.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I have the nano-s with said corsair sf600 (gold version, not the new one). My current system looks like this. Just took the picture after replacing the GPU with a new 2080ti.

Get the silverstone mounting bracket for the PSU. It mounts it low, with extra ventilation near the GPU.

You will extensions for some of the PSU cables, like the 24-pin atx.

An NH-D15 fits well with my non-windowed version, though the fans sit a little lower than normal due to height. A 140mm won't work in the front spot of the cooler due to hitting the 24-pin cable on most motherboards. An l-adapter for the cable is suggested. A 120mm fan works fine though. I still totally recommend it. I wish there was some giant noctua air cooler I could stick on a GPU.

Speaking of GPUs, I will add that the 2080ti fe is annoyingly loud, especially given how quiet everything else is. The noise isn't due to heat issues in the case, but cooler design. My old msi 980ti was reasonably quiet in most situations. The 2080ti fe It has no fanless operation at idle, and always runs them at a minimum of 41%. Afterburner can't turn them down any lower.

I am thinking about trying my hand at stripping off the cooler for an AIO, even though I am not usually a water guy. I found this picture from a guy who strapped a kraken g12 and some corsair aio on his, while also having a big air CPU cooler.

I am tempted to try and replicate his GPU cooling setup, with either a g12 + random aio, or otherwise. I just can't take the stock fans on this card. Hopefully a pump wouldn't drive me crazy. The alphacool eiswolf seems like an alternative to the g12 option. No idea how well it works.
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-products/23844/alphacool-eiswolf-240-gpx-pro-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080ti-black-m01

Seasonic has an sfx-l now too, which didn't exist when I had originally built this. I am sure it would also be a fine option for the nano-s. Seasonic doesn't make too many bad supplies.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151224&cm_re=seasonic_sfx-_-17-151-224-_-Product

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 26, 2018

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

I have the nano-s with said corsair sf600 (gold version, not the new one). My current system looks like this. Just took the picture after replacing the GPU with a new 2080ti.

Get the silverstone mounting bracket for the PSU. It mounts it low, with extra ventilation near the GPU.

An NH-D15 fits well with my non-windowed version, though the fans sit a little lower than normal due to height. A 140mm won't work in the front spot of the cooler due to hitting the 24-pin cable on most motherboards. An l-adapter for the cable is suggested. A 120mm fan works fine though. I still totally recommend it. I wish there was some giant noctua air cooler I could stick on a GPU.

Speaking of GPUs, I will add that the 2080ti fe is annoyingly loud, especially given how quiet everything else is. The noise isn't due to heat issues in the case, but cooler design. My old msi 980ti was reasonably quiet in most situations. The 2080ti fe It has no fanless operation at idle, and always runs them at a minimum of 41%. Afterburner can't turn them down any lower.

I am thinking about trying my hand at stripping off the cooler for an AIO, even though I am not usually a water guy. I found this picture from a guy who strapped a kraken g12 and some corsair aio on his, while also having a big air CPU cooler.

I am tempted to try and replicate his GPU cooling setup, with either a g12 + random aio, or otherwise. I just can't take the stock fans on this card. Hopefully a pump wouldn't drive me crazy. The alphacool eiswolf seems like an alternative to the g12 option. No idea how well it works.
https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-products/23844/alphacool-eiswolf-240-gpx-pro-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080ti-black-m01

Seasonic has an sfx-l now too, which didn't exist when I had originally built this. I am sure it would also be a fine option for the nano-s. Seasonic doesn't make too many bad supplies.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151224&cm_re=seasonic_sfx-_-17-151-224-_-Product

I have a G12 + H55 in a 2 fan push/pull configuration and it works leaps and bounds better then the stock Gigabyte cooler both in thermals and sound (mATX case if that matters). Though to be honest, if Alphacool had a full cover AIO block for my card at the time I was updating my system, I would have gone with them. They apparently have it now, but the G12 works well enough that its not worth the effort of swapping.

Also, yes, the 80mm fan on the back is enough to cool the VRM without any heatsinks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Filthy Monkey posted:

Thanks, this is great! Can you walk me through what you did here a little?

Looks like you replaced the stock intake fan at the front with 2 Noctuas (I assume that is intake). Same with the stock exhaust fan in the back. Then you swapped the front 140mm fan on the NH D15 for a 120mm in order to fit the power cable in. Can you link the I adapter?

Did you run into any issues fitting RAM with the cooler? need lower profile etc?

Can you link the PSU bracket you suggested? I am not familiar with it.

Whole setup looks fantastic, I am super excited to get going on mine.

Edit: is the PSU bracket you mentioned? https://goo.gl/c2NWut

emocrat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 26, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, the front has two 140mm fans as intake. The rear is a 120mm exhaust. The CPU heatsink has one of the 140 mm fans that came with it in the middle, and one 120mm fan in the front. You certainly don't have to go with noctuas like I did. I am just a fan snob.

If you are using the SF600 you'll want 24 pin and 8 pin atx extension cables for the motherboard, as the provided cables are too short. I didn't use a right angle adapter for the 24 pin in mine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. It looks like amazon has some like this. Coolermaster also apparently just came out with one.
https://www.amazon.com/24Pin-female-adapter-desktop-supply/dp/B07BJ2QHM4
https://www.techpowerup.com/248888/cooler-master-releases-the-atx-24-pin-90-adapter

For RAM, I have 16 gb of DDR 3200 corsair lpx. This stuff. It fits fine under most coolers, and is no problem with the NH-D15.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your linked PSU bracket is the one I am using. I would highly suggest getting that silverstone bracket due to the low PSU mounting and extra ventilation.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What’s your CPU like? I’m assuming an i7 since your GPU is so beefy. Asking because I have the same PSU and I want to know if it can survive that config

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My CPU is a 7700k. I put the machine together last year, and am only just now upgrading the video card to the 2080ti in the picture. I was running an msi 980ti from a previous machine in there up until now. There is an asus z270i strix somewhere underneath all of that cooler, along with a 1 TB 960 evo and 16 gb of ddr3200 corsair lpx. I figured I would be safe and get the 600w PSU, since I like my power hungry CPUs and GPUs. I have it mounted with the intake facing down, so it is pulling in air through the bottom dust filter.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Any new sff cases coming down the line that people are excited about? I currently have this build going in a EVGA hadron itx case and wated to change it up (had this case for 3 years now).

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card
Case: EVGA - Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Corsair - SP120 57.2 CFM 120mm Fans
Other: ARCTIC Accelero Twin Turbo II VGA Cooler - nVidia & AMD, Dual Quiet 92mm PWM Fans, SLI/CrossFire

Basically i am looking for a case that can do the following:
- sub 20L case
- cpu cooler above 90mm in height
- 1 hdd and 2 sdds
- full size GPU
- sub 100$ ?
- nice windowed side panel?

I know the NCASE and Cougar QBX cases can do this, but one is too expensive and the other i dont really like.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Any recommendations for a small itx, suitable for a 2400G?

No windows or much plastic. It's for use at work. Maybe a SG13B? They're cheap and can reuse a spare Atx psu.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.amazon.com/WIN-150W-Mini-ITX-Black-BQ656T-AD150TB3/dp/B01LVV6WVU

This is super tiny, but won’t accommodate a pci card. Includes its own PSU.