Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Viva Miriya posted:

So is there any reason I should equip my melee guys with stuff other than steel/plasteel maces? I want more overall lethality even if the target's are armored but I'm ok with slightly suboptimal against armor if it means my guys will gut lightly armored/unarmored dudes.

nope

the stun chance on blunt weapons is nontrivially large now too so i'd go so far as to say they're optimal even in light armor situations - getting stunned in combat means you are toast approximately 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Coolguye posted:

nope

the stun chance on blunt weapons is nontrivially large now too so i'd go so far as to say they're optimal even in light armor situations - getting stunned in combat means you are toast approximately 100% of the time.

Nice. Then I've done good. How about quality on the weapons? Whats the minimum you'd accept on a mace?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

figure out some ways to make "reach" weapons have a specific advantage over regular melee. (Like, can they engage earlier, forcing the enemy pawn to move super slow on the approach or something?)

Make it a gun that fires invisible bullets and has a max range of 1, and also does exactly the same damage when used in melee?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viva Miriya posted:

So is there any reason I should equip my melee guys with stuff other than steel/plasteel maces? I want more overall lethality even if the target's are armored but I'm ok with slightly suboptimal against armor if it means my guys will gut lightly armored/unarmored dudes.

Uranium maces are actually better than plasteel.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

bobz0r posted:

that epoe thing broke my savegame too, legs removed everywhere and bionic spines implanted in pawns eyes... im not sure where to put the patch linked on the last page, though

Steam/Steamapps/common/Rimworld/Mods

Then open the game, turn off the Steam version of EPOE and turn on the Folder version (cleverly marked with a folder icon).

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kanos posted:

I thought plasteel was the poo poo because of durability and attack speed?

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 27, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

Yeah I don't think plasteel adds to blunt damage because it's actually lightweight, it does make them attack faster though afaik and it holds a better edge.

Plasteel longswords can be pretty good at extreme quality levels because they can just clean cut people in half with the first swing, which is a pretty useful ability. Because it doesn't necessarily matter if your weapon does a lot of damage if it still takes two hits to the same body part to destroy it. What you're arguably doing when you improve your weapon is increasing the variety of parts it can destroy in a single hit.

Lopping off a leg for example will down a pawn and take them out of the fight, so if your weapon can do that in one hit, it's a much more powerful weapon than one that can't. Very high impact weapons are therefore valuable for that reason even if their overall DPS might be lower, or they might struggle vs armoured targets.

If you're fighting tribals or animals I would probably recommend a very good quality sword, though maces yes are very versatile.

Viva Miriya posted:

It is, but uranium as you noted will make it hit harder which means your first hit is more likely to kill, negating the need for a second.

Plasteel increases the lethality of edged weapons as well as their attack speed so it's a more significant upgrade for them than it is for blunt weapons, but it's still a very good material to make basically anything out of.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I honestly just want a standardized weapon for all my melee dudes to carry that works, though the plasteel longsword analysis is intriguing for late game. Although if I'm assaulting a tribal base or taking out a manhunter pack, I'd probably have some steel or plasteel longswords in my armory.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
So yeah, the optimal configuration of hospital beds to vitals monitors basically being a swastika, I go for the slightly less-efficient, but more aesthetically pleasing 4:1.

Having my hospital comprised of a few blue crosses of beds is perfect!

It leaves nice gaps for furnishings too.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Herb Dington posted:

So yeah, the optimal configuration of hospital beds to vitals monitors basically being a swastika, I go for the slightly less-efficient, but more aesthetically pleasing 4:1.

Having my hospital comprised of a few blue crosses of beds is perfect!

It leaves nice gaps for furnishings too.

It doesn't look like a swastika at all, at least like this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep doing swastikas with hydroponics bays. It is an unfortunate side effect of rotational symmetry on a grid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

Plasteel is a trap material for maces; it actually does less damage per swing than a steel mace, though it does swing substantially faster. Uranium is a useless weapons material except for maces, where it produces the hardest-hitting-per-swing mace possible. As OwlFancier says, there are a whole lot of reasons to want big damage per swing, since outright part destruction is your primary goal.

As for swords vs maces, a guy on reddit did a big nerd post with testing comparing the two best melee weapons(plasteel longsword vs uranium mace) and their use cases: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/9k0kn1/dev_mode_weapon_testing_plasteel_longsword_vs/

The TLDR is that the uranium mace outperforms in the majority of situations but the plasteel longsword is actually better at killing centipedes.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kanos posted:

Plasteel is a trap material for maces; it actually does less damage per swing than a steel mace, though it does swing substantially faster. Uranium is a useless weapons material except for maces, where it produces the hardest-hitting-per-swing mace possible. As OwlFancier says, there are a whole lot of reasons to want big damage per swing, since outright part destruction is your primary goal.

As for swords vs maces, a guy on reddit did a big nerd post with testing comparing the two best melee weapons(plasteel longsword vs uranium mace) and their use cases: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/9k0kn1/dev_mode_weapon_testing_plasteel_longsword_vs/

The TLDR is that the uranium mace outperforms in the majority of situations but the plasteel longsword is actually better at killing centipedes.

This was awesome to read. I appreciate ya.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I used to swear by EPOE, but every time I load my save, a colonist is missing a heart and goes about a day before they realize it and die. It might be time to move on

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Danaru posted:

I used to swear by EPOE, but every time I load my save, a colonist is missing a heart and goes about a day before they realize it and die. It might be time to move on

Scroll up in the thread, you need to download the patch.

Kanos posted:

The big difference for me is that uranium is pretty rare while plasteel is relatively common. If you’re looking to outfit a whole base, I’d go with plasteel swords.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vengarr posted:

The big difference for me is that uranium is pretty rare while plasteel is relatively common. If you’re looking to outfit a whole base, I’d go with plasteel swords.

This is definitely a consideration, though the tradeoff is that in vanilla plasteel has roughly a billion uses whereas uranium is used very sparingly; while you might have a lot less of it, you also need a lot less of it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Danaru posted:

RBSE is better balanced anyways. Join us.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The reason you use plasteel maces is because every swing gives you a chance to knock the person unconscious. Uranium does more damage per swing, but that just ends up killing more people. Because my altar needs to be continually watered with blood, I want Timmy Headloaf not Johnny Cleanslice.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 27, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alternatively there is this medical expansion

Dunno which is better though!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

No, it means that the item effected, in this case a hospital bed can only receive the benefit from ONE vitals monitor. If you arrange your beds so that you have eight beds to one vitals monitor, all the beds (and their occupants) will receive the benefit. It's just a poorly worded way of saying that connecting eight vitals monitors to one bed won't give you a massive bonus to immunity and surgery success chance. In the same way, you can place two tool cabinets in the center of your workshop and every workbench in it will receive +12% work speed (do this, by the way, it has massive long term benefits for your economy).

I usually have my beds sharing an end table, so I just do two or four to a monitor depending on my layout. It's not like they're terribly expensive once you've reached the point where you're building hospital beds anyway.

Oh jeez that is really unintiative. And the 8 beds is the actual physical arrangement. I've got it now. Thank you for explaining it to me.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Scroll up in the thread, you need to download the patch.

I don't need to though. Usually I amass, at most, 4 melee guys.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Is there any reason to use hydroponics in place of green houses?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

Is there any reason to use hydroponics in place of green houses?
Hydroponics produces way more product per unit of space, but that's about it. It has so many negatives (without mods) and when one solar flare can wipe out your crop it's really not that useful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can put hydroponics wherever you want. Such as under a mountain, but it is a lategame thing due to resource investment and it is not suitable for long growth crops such as devilstrand due to likelihood of power interruptions.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

hahahah randy turbofucked me. First a heat wave, then a Flash storm set everything on fire, destroyed all but my stockpile. I shoulda closed the vents because I could have saved one colonist but he died of heat stroke. One colonist had a catatonic breakdown, the other went wild after I sent her hunting for food and she had to consume a rabbit or some poo poo.

I'm letting it play out to see what happens. Maybe I'll get a wanderer joins a colony bit and I can rebuild from the ruins?

E: man in black showed up. Wild colonist just ate the last dead colonist.

lmao everyone dead

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 28, 2018

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm starting to build my spaceship, any advice on how/where to build everything or can I go with any old Mish mash and have it work?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

You can put hydroponics wherever you want. Such as under a mountain, but it is a lategame thing due to resource investment and it is not suitable for long growth crops such as devilstrand due to likelihood of power interruptions.

You also just can't grow devilstrand in hydroponics bays by default.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't get EPOE or RBSE. Just switch to VBE + Scar Removal and drop all the overcomplicated bionics poo poo. The only reason to use bionics mods is to fill the gaps of the stuff you can't replace on your colonists in vanilla.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What do I do about this? I never expected them to duplicate as much as they did. Now I'm afraid to approach that corner of the map entirely, which is a problem.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Turn the gas on in your oven and throw a lit match inside.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think a collapsing rock ceiling injured one of the insects, and they decided to take it out on me. RIP Funverfor, you were doing kinda okay

(I might savescum)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The turrets exploding caused the most damage

Things are still hopeless of course

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress, we survived!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
nows the time to take it to them if you can or at least immure them in their nest so you can rev up the insect holocaust oven.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I'm waiting for the Hardcore SK mega mod to update to version 1.0 before hopping on it since I'm addicted to that madness difficulty.

Any other mega mod that breaks everything i can try out in the meanwhile?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

nows the time to take it to them if you can or at least immure them in their nest so you can rev up the insect holocaust oven.

Yeah you're not going to get another chance to clean that nest out so you better do it right now before it has time to poop out another swarm.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Back to hospital chat. I make individual rooms so my patients don't get woken up during feeding and treatment. I have switches that turn on or off power to each room before they get treated.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress, we survived!

Go and finish the hives off before they repopulate!!! fixing things can wait!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

You also just can't grow devilstrand in hydroponics bays by default.

Oh, then that's a good thing, because yes it's a trap option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why do my idiot colonists keep putting stone chunks in doors