Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im wondering if they will do all 4 chaos gods at release, cause thats a looot of factions if you want some non-chaos poo poo on top of that

edit: although it would be extra weird to release certain chaos gods as dlc factions

Each chaos faction only has 3 or 4 daemon types plus a hero and lord. there's the base infantry, cavalry, beasts, and big beasts. I could see that being a single faction

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Turin is good at what he does; a little too good. There are times where I get overloaded processing what he's saying and then realize I haven't paid attention and have to wind back the video.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Salted_Pork posted:

Each chaos faction only has 3 or 4 daemon types plus a hero and lord. there's the base infantry, cavalry, beasts, and big beasts. I could see that being a single faction

didnt they initially say though that they would be doing factions for all four chaos gods, given how the base game basically has no chaos god-specific stuff at all in it?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

didnt they initially say though that they would be doing factions for all four chaos gods, given how the base game basically has no chaos god-specific stuff at all in it?
The data-mined stuff way back talked about game three's initial 4 factions being just the 4 chaos gods. But that Russian write up stopped being accurate a while ago.
And on the tabletop the Daemons don't really have enough chaos god specific content to make 4 factions. Each god only has 4 units. I think? Something like a single faction where a lord dedicated to a certain god gets to recruit god's units would make more sense. Though an even better idea would be to not include Daemons at all. Because gently caress chaos.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can see them releasing 4 lords at first then another 4 as DLC. If there's one faction that could justify that many lords it would be Daemons.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Raygereio posted:

The data-mined stuff way back talked about game three's initial 4 factions being just the 4 chaos gods. But that Russian write up stopped being accurate a while ago.
And on the tabletop the Daemons don't really have enough chaos god specific content to make 4 factions. Each god only has 4 units. I think? Something like a single faction where a lord dedicated to a certain god gets to recruit god's units would make more sense. Though an even better idea would be to not include Daemons at all. Because gently caress chaos.

Chaos is pretty boring right now without daemons tho.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Arghy posted:

Holy poo poo manfred on a dragon in C&C with huge unit size has 36,000 hp's--he shrugged off 2 units of giant slayers with 1 unit of slayers beating on him. Going to try 2 thunderers with grommy and see if it works out better--i know ungrim barely beat him with help 25 turns ago i can only imagine the beast he is now. Also wtf is up with bloodknights 18 of them somehow survived 3 miners, 2 warriors, and ulthars raiders throwing axes at them for nearly 3 minutes.

Magical attacks are so loving mandatory late game C&C--tons of endgame units have an absurd amount of physical resist. I thought my ironbreakers would be tanky enough without the defensive skill but holy crap they get wrecked against chosen even with the offensive skill haha.

This right here proves that 99% of overhaul mods are basically glorified cheat/trainer mods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Plavski posted:

Chaos is pretty boring right now without daemons tho.
WoC are in need of an overhaul. But Daemon are their own faction, so their inclusion on it's own is not going to help WoC. That is, unless CA is going into End Times stuff with the combined armies.

I will admit that a lot of my disdain for Daemons comes from me not liking their aesthetic and the fact that all Daemon players I encountered while playing the tabletop game (all 3 of them) were the stereotypical fatbeards with poor hygiene who always tried to cheat and did so poorly. No, those dice you dropped on the ground where I couldn't see them did not all roll 6s. Come on!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Savy Saracen salad posted:

This right here proves that 99% of overhaul mods are basically glorified cheat/trainer mods.

Not sure how you read that from "I, as dwarfs, tried to kill Mannfred and some blood knights and they took an absurd pounding."

It doesn't sound too different from someone new marvelling at how tw1 release Grimgor could just gently caress up your whole dwarf stack if he hits you in the first few turns before you had an answer to him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chaos daemons are Officially Their Own Faction as of 7th and 8th ed fantasy but we’re in Vampire Coast territory now, let alone Cathay or Araby being possible. Absolutely no one wants just chaos daemons all teamed up and alone in a faction. Absolutely no one wants four factions of just the existing god-aligned daemons split up into tiny rosters.

Do what GW did in older versions and then re-did just recently. Chaos is dudes and daemons and beasts teamed up, with unique units for each god. Go ham. Look at all the existing chaos art. Look at some of the new AoS and 40k stuff. There is so much more to chaos in its art and potential rosters than “each god has exactly one daemon type per force org slot, and all the mortals get technoviking armour.”

Ravenfood posted:

Not sure how you read that from "I, as dwarfs, tried to kill Mannfred and some blood knights and they took an absurd pounding."

It doesn't sound too different from someone new marvelling at how tw1 release Grimgor could just gently caress up your whole dwarf stack if he hits you in the first few turns before you had an answer to him.

Who here misses the halycon days of anyone, ever, saying “oh gently caress its grimgor”

Rip sweet prince you will have good stats in the afterlife

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 28, 2018

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

After seeing how CA has handled support heroes (Necrotect, Gun Wight) I kinda hope the Empire gets a cobbled together Master Engineer hero in their rework.

Also is it weird that the Bloodlines rework has me super excited for the inevitable Greenskins and Empire touch up?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I Ignore The C r i t i c s

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Sasgrillo posted:

After seeing how CA has handled support heroes (Necrotect, Gun Wight) I kinda hope the Empire gets a cobbled together Master Engineer hero in their rework.

Also is it weird that the Bloodlines rework has me super excited for the inevitable Greenskins and Empire touch up?

Not at all weird. The effort they're putting in makes me look forward to all the Game 1 factions getting a facelift too.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Sasgrillo posted:

No. Why would it be? CA has learned a lot since the initial release of WH1 about what players enjoy and what works in the series. Remember, for WH1 they were a little afraid that their main playerbase would reject the game entirely (MAGIC!?! In my spearmanii game? NEVER!) and were comparatively vanilla. Empire was basically just a normal TW faction, Dwarves and Orcs had one or two odder mechanics tacked on that were pretty ignorable, and only the VC were anything really new. I think pretty much everyone wants to see how Empire 2.0 might work after two years of experience.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It wasn't until bretonnians that the out-there idea of "lords get traits based on what they do, and the game tells you why" got implemented.

Shout-out to my old pal Thorgrim, who Likes Greenskins.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I do recall fondly the days when greenskins could roll up on the dwarves with a waaagh on turn 5

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Oh man, I forgot about that...

For all of CA's faults and missteps with some other games, I think they deserve a ton of credit that they've managed to pretty much constantly improve this game over their entire span. It's not always been a consistent improvement, but there's no question that basically everything is at least a little better now than it was on TW:WH1's release - and in most cases, vastly better. I mean, in a game with literally hundreds of units they've managed to have, what, like 90% of them be more-or-less viable in competitive settings? That's nuts. Each faction (and most subfactions) feels genuinely different to play both on the tactical and strategic levels, they're all fun in their own ways, player feedback is considered even for relatively trivial things (see: Sartosa pirates) and they've introduced a lot of stuff just because it's fun (remember they added unique sync kill animations because their animators thought it'd be cool).

The only outliers I think anyone would point to are the climate system and turn times; I'm generally inclined to think the new non-hard-restriction climate system is probably a better long-term solution as more factions have been added (and more intuitive for newer players too, no one likes areas they can't go conquer in a game about map painting) while turn times for the extra bonus map are a function of computing power and will eventually fix themselves from the hardware side. And, to be fair, diplomacy sucks but it's always sucked in their games, they haven't taken any steps backward there.

This game is CA's magnum opus - not even considering future additions or WH3. What could they possibly release that would more closely approach the platonic ideal of a Total War game? They could stop development, today, and it's no question their best game ever. That wasn't true for WH1 on release; it's been the intervening three years of polish and iteration that's brought them this far, and I'm excited to see what another three years might accomplish.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Chaos Daemons is the one time I'd expect and be OK with CA taking from newer AOS/40K books. Give me my Sloppity Bilepipers!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

orangelex44 posted:

For all of CA's faults and missteps with some other games, I think they deserve a ton of credit that they've managed to pretty much constantly improve this game over their entire span.

I think it's been making them a whole lot more money compared to previous games

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

Chaos Daemons is the one time I'd expect and be OK with CA taking from newer AOS/40K books. Give me my Sloppity Bilepipers!

Chaos dudes? That are likeable? In MY warhammer?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flavahbeast posted:

I think it's been making them a whole lot more money compared to previous games

From what I saw it also did wonders for their reputation as after the mess that was the release of Rome II people had started to turn on the series.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

From what I saw it also did wonders for their reputation as after the mess that was the release of Rome II people had started to turn on the series.

Again. After Empire ruined their reputation for the first time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Hunt11 posted:

no, they salvaged their rep with excellent continued support for r2 which lead to an awesome, complete game. then they releases attila which was a total loving drag of a game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Papa Nurgle loves everyone. Don't let the Sigmarite propagandists mislead you.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

more lizard when

Ammanas posted:

no, they salvaged their rep with excellent continued support for r2 which lead to an awesome, complete game. then they releases attila which was a total loving drag of a game.

This is like, doubly false. Do the two falsehoods resolve eachother into a truth? This is for the reader to decide.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Attila is better than Rome 2 on every level hth

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Savy Saracen salad posted:

To be fair late game campaign is hardly balanced though, grommy is traveling around with a gold chev army with 3 hero units and would have likely dumpstered manfred--he's in fact hunting his army atm. Ungrim is running around with an army made entirely out of elite units which are capped in C&C because of how good they are. I really like how a lord on an undead dragon is a big loving deal and that the best cav in the game act like it.

I think the biggest issue is advanced AI mod is making these fights so much harder than i'm used to facing which is awesome.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

AnEdgelord posted:

Attila is better than Rome 2 on every level hth

Except performance. It runs like dogshit whereas Rome 2 actually runs really well now, and it's the only reason I don't go back to Attila at all.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

John Charity Spring posted:

Except performance. It runs like dogshit whereas Rome 2 actually runs really well now, and it's the only reason I don't go back to Attila at all.

I'd say Attila has better performance than Warhammer 2. Which, uh, is not meant as an endorsement of the performance of Attila, I suppose.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Looks like they're a bit behind today, but day 2 of the TwitchCon tournament is supposed to go live in 5-10 minutes:

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Beamed posted:

more lizard when

This is like, doubly false. Do the two falsehoods resolve eachother into a truth? This is for the reader to decide.

I can’t wait for saurimanii to be nerfed into the loving ground

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Beamed posted:

I'd say Attila has better performance than Warhammer 2. Which, uh, is not meant as an endorsement of the performance of Attila, I suppose.

If you exclusively mean mortal empires turn times then i guess

Wild Horses posted:

I can’t wait for saurimanii to be nerfed into the loving ground

I actually think Sarumanii should be among the most OP wizards in the game. RIP Sir Christopher.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Chaos dudes? That are likeable? In MY warhammer?

If they do God-specific Chaos stuff in game 3 they should absolutely dip into AoS to make them feel more distinct.

Nurgle got the stuff posted above plus a snail-riding murder-gardener, gnarly voracious trees and fatboys on fatflies.

Tzeentch got fireball slinging cultists, punchwizards and disk-riding Beastmen.

Even Slaanesh is due some new toys in a boxset they've been hinting for early next year. Would certainly be more interesting than "Daemons, with different coloured Warriors".

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I'd have zero objection to AoS stuff for Chaos in 3. But wonder if GW would be on board?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

If they do God-specific Chaos stuff in game 3 they should absolutely dip into AoS to make them feel more distinct.

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah I'd have zero objection to AoS stuff for Chaos in 3. But wonder if GW would be on board?

And here we see the corrupting influence of chaos at work.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Raygereio posted:

And here we see the corrupting influence of chaos at work.

So you try to punch Chaos, but you turn into this:

Still wanting to deny the inevitable triumph?

"I wanna be buff dead Gelt" said no one ever

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Finally live for the tourney, Turin's playing VSea vs. Empire game 1.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, Slaanesh is back in AoS?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
No, they've just been hinting at new Slaanesh book/model releases.

Lorewise, the new Elf army books also specify where Slaanesh has been this whole time, and the fallout from the big Nagash-centered event has made it more likely that Slaanesh's followers will find him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, Slaanesh is back in AoS?
Yes. Slaanesh is coming back with AoS' second edition.