Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the true believers who start getting disillusioned by Trump that are going to be the most dangerous. They see their narrative falling apart, their grand vision failing at a crucial time.

wow great insight and you don’t sound like you sniff your own farts at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

comforting to know that every sunday you can turn on the tv and have chuck todd and hugh hewitt on the same program so you can get your lifetime supply of really dumb takes

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Former DILF posted:

wow great insight and you don’t sound like you sniff your own farts at all

He's not wrong though:

https://twitter.com/danielradosh/st...%3D1710%23pti10

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Yeah that’s why I said he didn’t sound like he had a lungful of his own farts

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Prester Jane posted:

This is an excellent question, and a topic that I haven't really addressed much outside of how Narrativism spreads. So let me try and take a crack at it here.

The various terms being used describe "Self Replicating Behaviour Patterns"- behaviour patterns that are transmissible within a group given the right conditions. All of these patterns are ultimately rooted in subconscious thought processes, and the way these patterns transmit from individual to individual is by the brain adopting these subconcious ways of processing information. The specifics of how each pattern transmit varies considerably from pattern to pattern- but I want to specify that this process isn't pathological in any way. I believe it's been a normal part of the human psyche since we've been human beings.

I believe that it's a combination of both biological predisposition as well as social environment that affects which patterns a given individual is likely to develop; with the amount of influence that biological predisposition plays varying considerably from Individual to individual. Without getting into a five page primer on the "HumanOS Framework" (my theory of the subconscious mind that explains the existence of Self Replicating Behaviour Patterns) let me try and give a (very)simple summary of the patterns we have been discussing here and how they are transmitted. Let's start with Structuralists and Integrators because they are two sides of the same coin, and they both develop during early childhood.

Structuralists: This pattern develops when a child recieves "Inter-reactive Environmental Feedback" primarily from their physical interaction with objects or their ability to complete assigned tasks in a specified manner. (That is to say a child's interaction with physical objects or following instructions tends to result in the strongest/most consistent feedback from the environment they find themselves in.) Over time the brain attunes itself towards this source of feedback and builds subconscious structures designed to maximize this source of feedback. The most straightforward example is to imagine a child who grew up in an Inuit community; using tools in a very competent manner and being constantly aware of physical conditions in their immediate surroundings are skills that would be constantly reinforced in the child- both socially and physically.

Integrators: This pattern develops when a child receives Inter-reactive Environmental Feedback primarily through "Identity Expression"- how the child expresses their unique identity. (This can take a huge variety of forms- but the freedom to make clothing choices and the ability to play with their own budding identity are particularly strong.) The child (subconsciously) learns that how they present themselves and express their identity results in the strongest and most consistent feedback from their social environment.

Cooperators: This pattern developes when an individual (not necessarily a child as this pattern can develope fairly late in life) spends a great deal of time in a social environment that is 1.)stable in the sense that it's social mores and structures are consistently enforced and 2.)requires interaction with designated gatekeepers in order to acquire desired resources.

Narrativists: This pattern develops as a result of prolonged exposure to communication (particularly verbal communication) that relies heavily on Bypass Logic to reach its conclusions. The vulnerability of a given individual to developing Narrativism increases as "Futurevision" (the ability for an individual to believe in/imagine a desirable future for themselves) becomes more difficult to engage in.

Some of your observational data is interesting and I think you have some great insights on group psychology but I gotta reiterate there's a lot of pseudo-scientific stuff going on here. Like, in addition to your grand theory of group formation and ideology you also have a fully independently formed theory on child psychology and development? Based on nothing but your own personal observations and thinking? Don't you think that's a bit of a reach?

Not trying to "gatekeep" you but this thread is a bit of a hugbox and I don't think people are giving you sufficiently candid feedback on your ideas. When you are asked to clarify something it shouldn't inevitably lead to an additional new theory every time. What is the grounding here? Where does your system of ideas link up to something outside your own head?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
PJ what are your thoughts on the effect of the OKC Bombing on the Militia Movement in the 1990s? History tells us that membership in these groups dropped dramatically in the wake of the bombing, ostensibly because people didn't want to be associated with such a horrific, bloody act. Does an event like this fit your definition of a "Compaction Cycle" ? I'd just be interested on your take and whether or not a similar event in our own present time might produce the same effect.

Cheers.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Also to be slightly more constructive, some freely available places to start if you wanted to compare your ideas with others or get an idea of what best practices are for developing your ideas:

Downloadable pdf of an Intro Sociology Testbook - provides broad overview of many topics that are similar to your interests, including group dynamics

Textbooks aren't great but they can be helpful for broadly framing the issues and giving a good overview of major theoretical traditions. See, for instance, chapter six of this book and how it takes a single incident (Occupy Wall Street) and shows how different theoretical lenses would each analyze the same event.

Downloadable pdf of an Intro Psychology Textbook - similarly gives broad overview and introduction to many topics of interest to you including basic primer on links between psychology and study of the brain, etc.

A short youtube primer on preparing a lit review - not something I'm saying you follow rigorously, but its helpful to see what best practices are thought to be for a grad student preparing a research project

PDF version of "The Reactionary Mind" by Corey Robbin - a book that tries to offer a unified psychological theory of conservatism

Online copy of "When Prophecy Fails" - a famous and influential book of definite relevance to your interests. From the wiki summary:

quote:

When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group That Predicted the Destruction of the World is a classic work of social psychology by Leon Festinger, Henry Riecken, and Stanley Schachter which studied a small UFO religion in Chicago called the Seekers that believed in an imminent apocalypse and its coping mechanisms after the event did not occur. Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance can account for the psychological consequences of disconfirmed expectations. One of the first published cases of dissonance was reported in this book.

The Makings of a Pro-Life Activist by Ziad W. Munson. A very important book released in 2008. It examines the dynamics of social movement mobilization using a case study of the pro-life movement. It specifically zeros in on the question of who becomes directly engaged as an activist - the answer is surprising, in that merely having strong beliefs isn't enough to motivate action.

The True Believer - famous book on the nature of mass movements

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

Some of your observational data is interesting and I think you have some great insights on group psychology but I gotta reiterate there's a lot of pseudo-scientific stuff going on here. Like, in addition to your grand theory of group formation and ideology you also have a fully independently formed theory on child psychology and development? Based on nothing but your own personal observations and thinking? Don't you think that's a bit of a reach?

A reach to do what exactly? Be a schizophrenic posting their theories in a tiny little corner of the internet? The theories I'm proposing here aren't even necessarily their final form- the Narrativist Framework evolved tremendously over the years in response to the feedback and effort post I got from people who were willing to engage me on my own terms.

Like I got to emphasize here that at the end of the day I'm a disabled schizophrenic and I have no choice but to do what I can to work around that. I'm mentally ill enough to have won a disability case for mental illness in Texas- that's not exactly a small thing.

quote:

Not trying to "gatekeep" you but this thread is a bit of a hugbox and I don't think people are giving you sufficiently candid feedback on your ideas. When you are asked to clarify something it shouldn't inevitably lead to an additional new theory every time. What is the grounding here? Where does your system of ideas link up to something outside your own head?

This is more or less my creative method and what I've been doing for over three and a half years now. One of my primary motivations for running this thread instead of just putting all this down on my block is because these kinds of conversations eight me tremendously and figuring out how to organize and communicate my ideas. What I'm doing right here is just the only way I know of to move this project forwards. This is my creative method more or less.

If you go back and read the D&D thread you'll see that I've been doing the exact same thing the entire time. I put material out there, and then I get feedback on it and use that feedback to refine both the idea and how I communicate that idea. This process is of inestimable value to me and I don't know of any other way to do it :shrug:

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Oct 27, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I want to clarify that a lot of the theories I've been posting in this thread are evolved versions of theories I've discussed in the past. If you read this ancient post on my patreon you can see both that I've been working on the general structure of these ideas for some time and that my writing has become significantly more coherent as well- (I've done a ton of therapy since then).

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Oct 27, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

A reach to do what exactly? Be a schizophrenic posting their theories in a tiny little corner of the internet? The theories I'm proposing here aren't even necessarily their final form- the Narrativist Framework evolved tremendously over the years in response to the feedback and effort post I got from people who were willing to engage me on my own terms.

Like I got to emphasize here that at the end of the day I'm a disabled schizophrenic and I have no choice but to do what I can to work around that. I'm mentally ill enough to have won a disability case for mental illness in Texas- that's not exactly a small thing.

This is more or less my creative method and what I've been doing for over three and a half years now. One of my primary motivations for running this thread instead of just putting all this down on my block is because these kinds of conversations eight me tremendously and figuring out how to organize and communicate my ideas. What I'm doing right here is just the only way I know of to move this project forwards. This is my creative method more or less.

If you go back and read the D&D thread you'll see that I've been doing the exact same thing the entire time. I put material out there, and then I get feedback on it and use that feedback to refine both the idea and how I communicate that idea. This process is of inestimable value to me and I don't know of any other way to do it :shrug:

I think you've got some interesting ideas and I'm encouraging you to develop them. You're more than capable of doing so, that's self evident in what you've written so far. I think its a cop out to fall back on your health issues - you're obviously intelligent and motivated enough to develop this theory in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to comment in the first place.

You're saying that one of your primary motivations for writing is figuring out how to organize and communicate your ideas. Well, part of that includes engaging with things other people have said and thought and not just posting on Something Awful! You've been at this for three years, surely your ideas are developed enough that you're able to check out some alternative approaches to the same topic.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

PJ, I like ya, but I think you might've internalized a lot of ableist nonsense. Like, you're clearly a smart person, with access to the web and a pack of (quasi)-academics. I know this isn't your entire life, but I think you're using your condition as a reason to not develop your thinking. And, y'know, you know your life and overall energy infinitely better than I do, but I hope you know there's someone out there who thinks you can go beyond internet shitposting and use your work constructively. :)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

T-man posted:

PJ, I like ya, but I think you might've internalized a lot of ableist nonsense. Like, you're clearly a smart person, with access to the web and a pack of (quasi)-academics. I know this isn't your entire life, but I think you're using your condition as a reason to not develop your thinking. And, y'know, you know your life and overall energy infinitely better than I do, but I hope you know there's someone out there who thinks you can go beyond internet shitposting and use your work constructively. :)

Can I request that we table this particular discussion until after I've posted my big effort post about Structuralists and Integrators?

It's not that I'm trying to resist developing my thinking or improving or that I'm not reading the things people are suggesting to me, I just want to get the rough draft of these ideas down first at this point in time. My big goal right now is just to get a pencil outline down and build from there.

You have to understand how my mind works and give me some allowances for that, I'm trying to move beyond internet shitposting but I need to get this all down first before I can do that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just dropping in to say great new thread, much nicer locale. Love your work PJ.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

This is a good thread PJ and I don't think you are being attacked here, I think everyone wants the best for you and your ideas. Challenging your ideas and methods is a good thing.

Though I get you wanting to get all your ducks in a row before moving forward.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Prester Jane posted:

Can I request that we table this particular discussion until after I've posted my big effort post about Structuralists and Integrators?

It's not that I'm trying to resist developing my thinking or improving or that I'm not reading the things people are suggesting to me, I just want to get the rough draft of these ideas down first at this point in time. My big goal right now is just to get a pencil outline down and build from there.

You have to understand how my mind works and give me some allowances for that, I'm trying to move beyond internet shitposting but I need to get this all down first before I can do that.

Can't argue with that. Good luck with your writing, you do good stuff and I'm glad I get to read it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://mobile.twitter.com/bostonhe...r%3D5919%23pti5

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/...r%3D1713%23pti4

https://mobile.twitter.com/TIME/status/1056138509432569856

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Oct 28, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm tempted to suggest PJ look into the community and attitudes surrounding Bitcoin, which have been a subject of great goon entertainment for years, but I'd be especially wary about that particular rabbit hole even compared to cultists and nazis, if only because they're more up front about scamming money out of you.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
^^ Bitcoin is hella culty, it'll be a good place to look. Consider starting with fellow goon divabot's book, "Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain"

https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1056204229130510338

quote:

The genesis of Mr. Sayoc’s partisan awakening may never be known, but hints of it first appeared on his Facebook feed in early 2016, as the primary season for the presidential election was starting.

That February, he posted a link to a conspiracy theory video on YouTube titled, “Is Barack Obama THE ANTICHRIST — 100% PROOF Is There!” Days later, he posted a second YouTube video, “Satan Sent Obama to Destroy America,” and a clip featuring Sean Hannity, the Fox News host, which was called, “MUST HEAR: Sean Exposes Illegal Immigrant Crime Stats.” He posted several anti-Obama videos multiple times on his feed, interspersed with stories about personal finance and his favorite soccer players.

By the summer, Mr. Sayoc’s social media activity was all politics, all the time.

On Facebook, he posted stories from Infowars, World Net Daily, Breitbart and other right-wing websites. His posts, which rarely included commentary apart from the links, showed a fascination with Islamist terrorism, illegal immigration and anti-Clinton conspiracy theories.

quote:

For years, many of Mr. Sayoc’s posts simply reshared existing images, links and videos. But in recent months, he began to create more of his own posts. He began posting less on Facebook and dialed up his efforts on Twitter, where he could engage directly with his political heroes and foes.

quote:

On social media, none of this behavior is particularly out of the ordinary. In fact, to many of his followers, Mr. Sayoc may have appeared to be just one of many partisan keyboard warriors working through their rage.

“There are tons of people like this,” said Shannon McGregor, an assistant professor of communication at the University of Utah who studies social media. “He took these memes to their most violent extreme, but this is a pretty big world on social media.”

quote:

In recent months, Mr. Sayoc’s behavior changed. His posts took on a darker, more obsessive tone, often accompanied by threats of violence and gory images of bloody animal carcasses. No longer mistakable as an everyday internet partisan, he posted repeatedly about “unconquered Seminoles,” a reference to the tribe that he appears to have adopted. (It also appeared on his van.) And on Twitter, his messages turned dark and sinister.

He directed a tweet at Ms. Waters, the California Democrat, with a photo of what appeared to be her house. The message read: “see you soon.”

He sent another to Eric H. Holder Jr., an attorney general under Mr. Obama, that read, “See u soon Tick Tock.” And he told Zephyr Teachout, a Democrat who ran unsuccessfully for attorney general in New York, that he had a surprise waiting for her. “We Unconquered Seminole Tribe have a special Air boat tour lined up for you here in our Swamp Everglades,” he wrote. “See u real soon. Hug your loved ones.”

This guy didn't just snap and send bombs. This was slow motion self-radicalization that resulted in a concrete plan of action that he followed through on.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Oct 28, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Helsing posted:

Also to be slightly more constructive, some freely available places to start if you wanted to compare your ideas with others or get an idea of what best practices are for developing your ideas:

If other people are interested, I think it'd be fun to book-club some of these resources.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm in! BOOKS!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

Downloadable pdf of an Intro Sociology Testbook - provides broad overview of many topics that are similar to your interests, including group dynamics

Textbooks aren't great but they can be helpful for broadly framing the issues and giving a good overview of major theoretical traditions. See, for instance, chapter six of this book and how it takes a single incident (Occupy Wall Street) and shows how different theoretical lenses would each analyze the same event.

Downloadable pdf of an Intro Psychology Textbook - similarly gives broad overview and introduction to many topics of interest to you including basic primer on links between psychology and study of the brain, etc.

A short youtube primer on preparing a lit review - not something I'm saying you follow rigorously, but its helpful to see what best practices are thought to be for a grad student preparing a research project

PDF version of "The Reactionary Mind" by Corey Robbin - a book that tries to offer a unified psychological theory of conservatism

Online copy of "When Prophecy Fails" - a famous and influential book of definite relevance to your interests. From the wiki summary:

The Makings of a Pro-Life Activist by Ziad W. Munson. A very important book released in 2008. It examines the dynamics of social movement mobilization using a case study of the pro-life movement. It specifically zeros in on the question of who becomes directly engaged as an activist - the answer is surprising, in that merely having strong beliefs isn't enough to motivate action.

The True Believer - famous book on the nature of mass movements

This is a good post.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So because you turned off your PM's, PJ, I guess I'd just leave this here.

Circular firing squad in the Trump thread is real. Shitheads are getting to act like idiots instead of getting probated. Someone who had a massacre happen in his hometown is being mocked by idiots.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Circular firing squad in the Trump thread is real. Shitheads are getting to act like idiots instead of getting probated. Someone who had a massacre happen in his hometown is being mocked by idiots.

If this happening in our Trump thread, please report such incidents as it moves too fast for me to keep up. If it's the D&D thread, that's outside my ability to do anything directly.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ice Phisherman posted:

I don't have PM's turned off so much as I just haven't repurchased plat after I was banned. Waiting till tha first of tha month to repurchase all my account upgrades.

That said- good God that was disgusting to see. I'm no stranger to taking the knife to Centrists but Jesus Christ........just Jesus Christ. Idiots are in the Trump thread attacking someone who is deep mourning.

I'd rather have the Centrist hugbox back than that vile display.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Oct 28, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Please don't cry for Tibalt, he's the same person who said he would vote for Hitler if he had a D next to his name. He's the second dumbest person in D&D behind Fulchrum.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

WampaLord posted:

Please don't cry for Tibalt, he's the same person who said he would vote for Hitler if he had a D next to his name. He's the second dumbest person in D&D behind Fulchrum.

None of that matters right now friend. The man is in mourning. Let him mourn.

Clobber him over his idiocy some other time.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

I don't have PM's turned off so much as I just haven't repurchased plat after I was banned. Waiting till tha first of tha month to repurchase all my account upgrades.

I'll buy you platinum to save you a few bucks. How do I do that?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'll buy you platinum to save you a few bucks. How do I do that?

I think you can buy a code and pm via the sets via reddit.

Also thank you so much in advance <3

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

I think you can buy a code and pm via the sets via reddit.

Also thank you so much in advance <3

Sure thing, buddy.

I sent an email to support. It may be a while before they respond, but I'll try and grab it for you.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If other people are interested, I think it'd be fun to book-club some of these resources.

I can take point on something like that. I guess the question would be which one people are most interested in.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

I can take point on something like that. I guess the question would be which one people are most interested in.

"When Prophecy Fails" has got my vote <3

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://mobile.twitter.com/johnsonj...genumber%3D5939

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamjohn...genumber%3D5939

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1056692366470471682

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Oct 29, 2018

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

everythingisfine.jpg

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Dead Beef posted:

Hello thread,
What do you guys think about this:
Body odour disgust sensitivity predicts authoritarian attitudes

Authoritarians exploit unconscious feelings of disgust, something which we evolved to protect ourselves from disease.

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1057004782311927808

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yeah just guillotine everybody at this point

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Does the guillotine man who executes all men in town execute himself?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Our people" is one of those dog sirens honky supremacists have

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FAUXTON posted:

"Our people" is one of those dog sirens honky supremacists have

As is calling undesirables diseased and unclean.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hey PJ, I sent you a platinum upgrade code via reddit. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

As is calling undesirables diseased and unclean.

That's less a case of codespeak and more a case of outright racist filth being outright racist filth.