Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Seriously, the dude's legacy is lifted up by dozens of other writers but we still call it Lovecraftian because hot drat that's a bankable name and also 40 years of franchising. I would love nothing more than a push towards cosmic horror or eldritch horror but Eldritch Horror is a trademark and cosmic horror suggests something more science fiction and this entire subgenre is marketed to the same range of nerds who quote "that is not dead."

It's why the Lovecraft argument is frustrating to me but on the opposite end of the spectrum. The response to "Lovecraft was racist" should be "he sure was, but have you read Laird Barron?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
'Lovecraftian' is just shorthand for a number of horror themes, really. It's like saying a game is a 'roguelike'. A friend asked me wtf that meant, and I had to explain to her the legacy of Rogue, it's mechanics, and stuff, and 'Lovecraftian' is similiar.

Like, you could say 'oh this is a story with elements of horror that deal with an uncaring and capricious universe, with ancient creatures and beings that are unknowing and uncaring of humanity to the point where their random whims mean destruction and insanity for us simply from their presence', or you can say 'it's Lovecraftian'.

The term 'cosmic horror' hits many of the same notes, but doesn't connote quite the same things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Doesn't hurt that it's also a very unusual and memorable name. I'm sure people wouldn't have gotten so stuck on if he had been named Smith or Johnson instead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Skyscraper posted:

It'd be nice if the whole genre could move past Lovecraft as a name for the subgenre.

I mean I'll be real, some part of it sticking so well is probably that "Lovecraft" is just a pretty cool 'spooky setting' sounding name.

Cardiovorax posted:

Doesn't hurt that it's also a very unusual and memorable name. I'm sure people wouldn't have gotten so stuck on if he had been named Smith or Johnson instead.

Yeah exactly this.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
howard phillip starcraft

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bogart posted:

howard phillip starcraft

The Thin White Dork

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I propose we all refer to him hence forth as "Howie P, turboracist" in an effort to help society and this thread move past

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Chev posted:

I feel his fear of penguins is immensely more interesting to discuss, especially once you look at how he describes the elder things.

well you see they're both white AND black

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

It's been loving years since I read that, but I thought he got speared by the bow.

Either way, for an elder god(or whatever caste he is) it's a punk way to go out.

It's just a (really big) high priest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Cthulhu is the high priest of the Great Old Ones, who are powerful enough to travel through the cosmos on their own power and conquer worlds basically all by themselves, but they're fundamentally defeatable, just ancient, ageless and basically undying. The real gods, however, are the Outer Gods, like Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlathotep and Shub-Niggurath. They're on another level of magnitude altogether and use Great Old Ones for toothpicks. Luckily, there are great many Old Ones, because Shub-Niggurath alone has way too many mouths and most of them even have tooth-analogues.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every couple of months I check on Steam if there's any progress on Albino Lullaby: Episode 2. I really liked the first one, but the second episode has been getting pushed up for the last two and a half years. Noticed recently that its name got changed to Alice's Lullaby though, and I remember seeing a trailer that suggested they're throwing a sudden Alice in Wonderland story.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the last story that Lovecraft wrote?

I'm wondering how late in his career he wrote In the Walls of Eryx because I feel like that entire story was Lovecraft desperately trying to be like "guys I'm sorry, please, forgive me, I'm not as racist as I used to be, still racist tho"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the last story that Lovecraft wrote?

I'm wondering how late in his career he wrote In the Walls of Eryx because I feel like that entire story was Lovecraft desperately trying to be like "guys I'm sorry, please, forgive me, I'm not as racist as I used to be, still racist tho"

According to Wikipedia, the last thing he wrote on his own was a short story called "The Haunter of the Dark"; "In the Walls of Eryx" was written around the same time, but was a collaboration with a dude named Kenneth Sterling. While Eryx was written about a year before he died, it wasn't published until after his death.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I hope the frogwares horror game is good. Their games are at least interesting mechanically.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I know John Carpenter can't really be trusted to design a game, but why the hell is no one reaching out to him to make at least a soundtrack and story board for a horror game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They remember FEAR 3

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Signing him up for F3AR was great, because the game had a randomised spook director. Sometimes enemies appeared out of a different window, or lights flickered or not, or creepy dolls stared at you or not.

John Carpenter presents: randomly flipping scare switches in a tunnel of love.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Agent Escalus posted:

And have you ever seen a photo of the guy? He even looks like a total sperglord who dwells in the basement.

Put a bowl cut on Lovecraft and he legit would look like a school shooter.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Every couple of months I check on Steam if there's any progress on Albino Lullaby: Episode 2. I really liked the first one, but the second episode has been getting pushed up for the last two and a half years. Noticed recently that its name got changed to Alice's Lullaby though, and I remember seeing a trailer that suggested they're throwing a sudden Alice in Wonderland story.

I thought I remembered seeing a blog post that the new estimated release date was first quarter 2019. That may have changed thought.

The final episode of Bendy and the Ink Machine is out. I'm sure everything will have a neat resolution and not leave unanswered questions for a sequel bait.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Noticed recently that its name got changed to Alice's Lullaby though, and I remember seeing a trailer that suggested they're throwing a sudden Alice in Wonderland story.

Not sure on that, but I remember when the game was getting a lot of it's 'first episode' or whatever buzz, a bunch of people did complain about the name coming off crummy, having 'albino' framed with horrible worm people.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sakurazuka posted:

They remember FEAR 3

That's more of an indictment of Steve Niles, to be honest. The man can't end a story to save his life. John Carpenter did the cutscenes and they were fine.

But gently caress, he should have done the soundtrack, that'd have been awesome.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I beat this one on the stream last night, and aside from a few hilariously stupid kills it was a pretty :what: experience for everyone involved. Also free, if you want to :what: for yourself.

1. Little Nightmares
2. OK/NORMAL
3. Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
4. Rise of Insanity
5. Paratopic
6. Rusty Lake Paradise
7. Cube Escape: Paradox
8. INFERNIUM
9. Dead Secret
10. All Haze Eve
11. Welcome to Hanwell
12. Gray Dawn
13. The Last Cargo
14. Observer
15. Dark Deception
16. Cultist Simulator
17. House of Evil
18. Nevermind
19. CONCLUSE
20. Sagebrush
21. The Painscreek Killings
22. A Room Beyond
23. The Evil Within
24. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
25. Dead Secret Circle
26. Disturbed: Beyond Aramor

27. Lucie

Dramatic twists can be amazing additions to any story, but they can’t be the entire story. Predicating your entire tale on an unexpected reversal threatens to sap the vitality from your characters and other plot beats, which is why they’re often avoided or discouraged. Lucie is a prime example of this phenomenon, a game that leans so heavily on its eventual twist that it seemingly forgets to develop the actual plot at all. What you’re left with is a jumble of creepy scenes and stiff enemies ushering you on to an ultimately disappointing reveal that makes you question what you just spent your last hour on.

Presumably you play as Lucie, a young lass who finds herself in an extremely not-right mansion. The creaking floorboards and peeling paint hide terrible creatures who want nothing but the worst for her, and indeed the entire place proves to be one big deathtrap. Only by following the guidance of the dream diaries she finds can Lucie make her way to her goal and maybe find a way out of this nightmare world. The logic of the place makes it hard to know when she’s safe and who she can trust, so death will be her constant companion on this dark journey.

I’m not kidding about that last part, either. Early on, you’re tasked with finding a snack for someone. There are two boxes you can search, one is visibly moving, and if you try to open it the game double-checks to see if that’s a good idea. Of course you’ll be viciously impaled if you open it, and that’s the game being nice to you. From that point on, every time you interact with something there’s a chance it’s going to decapitate you, incinerate you, crush you into jelly, or worse. There’s only the loosest logic to these instant death options, and only a proliferation of save points to keep them from getting too annoying to stomach.

The other issue with Lucie is that, for its entire hour-long runtime, you’re not going to have a clue about what’s going on. The game starts you off right in the thick of things, with no proper introduction to anything and no real direction to follow. You proceed through the halls and chambers because they’re there, not because you have any reason to besides escape. At the very end of the game you get the big twist, which feels like a thin substitute for a story and may actually inspire more questions than it answers. Even now I’m pretty unclear on what happened or why I should care, and that’s after beating the thing in one sitting.

I know there are good RPGMaker horror games out there, but this isn’t one of them. In terms of horror it deals too heavily in attempted jumpscares, sending shadowy creatures skittering around now and then. These sequences come too frequently, and suffer from some presentation issues that sap them of their power to terrify. The graphics and sounds are only competent, and if you’ve played any amount of indie horror games before you’ll recognize more than a few of the encounters. Lucie ends up feeling like a passion project, a singular vision to build a game around one twist that leaves out too many other aspects of design to enjoy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

catlord posted:

That's more of an indictment of Steve Niles, to be honest. The man can't end a story to save his life. John Carpenter did the cutscenes and they were fine.

But gently caress, he should have done the soundtrack, that'd have been awesome.

Like Halloween 2018 shown that he hasn't really lost his creative and visual flow and can still work in our lovely times to scare, but he probably doesn't know how games work to go about putting thought to code.

Get him his kids to help make music and a good programing and writing team, he could probably make his own Until Dawn for pure spook or the video game equivalent of Escape from New York for like a RE4 kind of psycho action game.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

quote:

lovecraft chat

have some audiobooks on youtube

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played Painscreek demo and there was totally a dude in robes watching me from a distance. Too spooky for me!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DrSnakeLaser posted:

The final episode of Bendy and the Ink Machine is out. I'm sure everything will have a neat resolution and not leave unanswered questions for a sequel bait.
If I get another song like All Eyes On Me I will forgive a hell of a lot.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

al-azad posted:

I played Painscreek demo and there was totally a dude in robes watching me from a distance. Too spooky for me!
My favourite thing about Painscreek is that I don't have the carry ten packs of camerabatteries.

The main character is hilarious though, because she can't climb over loosely hanging chain barriers, or move a chair to gain access to some drawers, but breaking into cars with a slim jim is her second nature.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

My favourite thing about Painscreek is that I don't have the carry ten packs of camerabatteries.

The main character is hilarious though, because she can't climb over loosely hanging chain barriers, or move a chair to gain access to some drawers, but breaking into cars with a slim jim is her second nature.

On one hand it really feels like a cheap Unity game held together by the most generic assets. I’m pretty sure it’s using the default first person controller and sound effects which make every footstep sound like you weigh 900 pounds. But it really is a detailed world that demands you pay attention and it nails the atmosphere of a comfortable but slightly off picturesque town.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Painscreek had a lot of atmosphere and yeah they get sleepy town right. I also completely dig their concept (investigate a dead town to find what happened) but it needed to be less linear and, most of all, needed to rely on more than diaries to tell most of its story.

But while it had it's jank and sudden stupid twist in gameplay at the end , I still considered it a net positive. It really is for people who dig the concept tho.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I know the thread was pretty positive about Anatomy, but Kitty Horrorshow's Cathedral from the second Haunted Cities pack is also really, really good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Spoiler: It was a giant mess of a 'final' episode, you sit through like a 7 minute long opening scene that just meanders like crazy while the couple characters talk but don't really say anything, then the actual episode itself is like, maybe close to 30 minutes of gameplay in very samey environments with another agonizing fetch quest, capping off with an incredibly disappointing final boss that gets deus ex machina'd and then they fart out a sequel bait mid-credits scene. I know it's played out to say something "Sold out" 99% of the time, but I don't think I've seen a game sell out as hard to turn into a miserable youtube bait 'Hot thing' in a long while.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ouch. Guess I ain't touching that series. I really hate weak-rear end endings like that.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Bendy and Hello Neighbor are the poster children of indie horror games that jumped the shark the moment they got a check put in front of them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Ouch. Guess I ain't touching that series. I really hate weak-rear end endings like that.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Bendy and Hello Neighbor are the poster children of indie horror games that jumped the shark the moment they got a check put in front of them.

It's a real shame too, because the one truly good thing about Bendy, throughout all the really stupid and bad design choices they kept making every new episode, the aesthetic never wavered, all the freaky visuals and ech sounds and stuff were on-point all the way through, but got so wasted on the bloated "experience" that Bendy eventually decided it wanted to be so they could hawk merch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

To be honest, until now, I didn't even realize it was supposed to be horror. "Bendy and the Ink Machine" sounds so much like a children's novel, I was expecting it to be something more like Mickey's Magic Castle type game. Funny what a difference names can make.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gann Jerrod posted:

Hello Neighbor is fascinating if for nothing else than the core setting becoming a twisted and overwrought metaphor of its own development.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
That really sucks, the concept was just great.

It sucks on another level because it reminds me of what was common with 90s summer blockbuster movies: a great concept gets wrecked because the focus was on merchandise and franchising instead of the script/actual experience. It's why the Marvel CU has been such a blessing: they focus on making each individual movie as good as it can be on its own, but sprinkle bits and pieces in they can exploit later; and even the lower-end of that franchise are still better as movies than some multimillion misfires (Thor 2 is a better experience than Wild Wild West or Emmerich's Godzilla).

Hello Neighbor, meanwhile, is somehow getting an action figure line from Todd MacFarlane long after release so clearly this is a strategy that has yet to peak!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It will eventually. I'm sure a lot of us remember all the many merchandising lines associated with the various Power Ranger etc. knockoffs of the 90s that died quick and ignoble deaths because every last one of them was obvious garbage even when you were a kid. Gamers have notoriously awful taste and fiscal sensibility, but that kind of trend can't last forever and will just predictably result in a lot of merchandise ending up in tomorrow's attics' Cardboard Box of Shame again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
But now you can play the new and 'improved' Hello Neighbor that's an asymmetrical multiplayer horror game cause that seems to be a cool thing to do.