Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

AESTHETICS ARE THEIR OWN JUSTIFICATION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tibalt posted:

can confirm

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tibalt posted:

This is indeed true.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It's to stop me from clicking on them when I'm trying to harvest/plant :argh:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I thought fences would protect from wolf attacks, but according to the wiki they don't.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tibalt posted:

New thread title spotted.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Solumin posted:

I thought fences would protect from wolf attacks, but according to the wiki they don't.
There are wolves in the game?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Poil posted:

There are wolves in the game?

If you close the door to the coup or barn while the animals are outside, they'll stay outside at night. When you go to sleep, there's a chance they'll be killed as part of an event when you sleep.

It's not particularly rare event but most people never unintentionally create the scenario in the first place.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah I've never ever heard of that before because I'm a good person and let them come home at night. Kind of surprised there is a downside to keeping them outside all the time though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you just leave the door open and don't close gates between the animal and their building it never comes up

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think there was also a bug where animals could get trapped outside, too.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

andrew smash posted:

If you just leave the door open and don't close gates between the animal and their building it never comes up

Is there any reason to close it at all when it isn't winter?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Cows and goats are easier to milk if they’re all in one place.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I thought leaving the door open overnight had a negative effect on the animal's mood score, but I freely admit that I may have been misinformed.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It might, I have no idea and don't care. Animals are decorations except my pigs and whatever I'm doing doesn't seem to negatively impact their truffle production.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tibalt posted:

Also relevant to waifu/husbando chat

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Also, lightning rods, artisan machines, and lampposts >> fences.

All the pig-corralling power of a fence, makes better use of the space, and never need to be replaced.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i totally have all those resources lying around yup

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tibalt posted:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Coolguye posted:

yeah i totally have all those resources lying around yup

Aw, it's only a little bit aspirational; you're probably already going to make most of the artisan machines anyway, and lightning rods are mostly made out of easily-acquired junk. You could build a mountain out of (otherwise entirely useless) bat wings by the end of a season, iron's quick and easy to get, and refined quartz isn't too hard to stockpile if you have even one recycling machine available to you.

By the time you're likely to get serious about raising pigs and/or making an aesthetically pleasing barnyard, it'll be hard to not have all those resources lying around.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Trilobite posted:

By the time you're likely to get serious about raising pigs and/or making an aesthetically pleasing barnyard, it'll be hard to not have all those resources lying around.

this part is v true

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Has anyone attempted the iPhone port? Im curious how they even handle the controls...

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
iPhone port is solid. The controls went for a refinement of mouse control adapted for touch rather than on-screen game pads. Works really well.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

andrew smash posted:

iPhone port is solid. The controls went for a refinement of mouse control adapted for touch rather than on-screen game pads. Works really well.

How does time/days work? Do you still have to complete a whole day to save your game, or are you free to close the app when needed?

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

How does time/days work? Do you still have to complete a whole day to save your game, or are you free to close the app when needed?

You need to complete the day to save. You can minimize the app and it pauses everything though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks like it saves every day (when you load, it’s morning and you’re in bed). But if I close it and it doesn’t get swapped out, it just continues from where I left off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I hope this plays on my LG G4 when it's ported to Android :ohdear:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
A Prismatic Shard dropped from a bug in on one of the early floors of the mine. :stare:
I've never gotten one before!! Now I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with it...

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solumin posted:

A Prismatic Shard dropped from a bug in on one of the early floors of the mine. :stare:
I've never gotten one before!! Now I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with it...

Is that the rainbow-colored gem? I have a couple, but I’m not sure if they’re the thing you’re talking about. I feel like the one I have has a different name. I had to take my first one to Gunther to get it identified.

After playing 130 hours in three weeks or whatever, I’ve kind of run out of steam. I’ve only played a few hours over the last few days. Without giving anything away, can anyone tell me if there is much more to see?

I have been to the desert. I have not figured out what to do with the weird lock thingy by the train.
I smashed one lock in the mine, but can’t replicate that feat on any other locks.
I have never been married.
I haven’t been past the barrier in the train tunnel.
I haven’t removed the glittering boulder.
I have not seen whatever the bouncer is protecting in the desert.

Are there significant pieces of gameplay hidden behind those things, or is it more of the same now that I have all the money I need?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Is that the rainbow-colored gem? I have a couple, but I’m not sure if they’re the thing you’re talking about. I feel like the one I have has a different name. I had to take my first one to Gunther to get it identified.

After playing 130 hours in three weeks or whatever, I’ve kind of run out of steam. I’ve only played a few hours over the last few days. Without giving anything away, can anyone tell me if there is much more to see?

I have been to the desert. I have not figured out what to do with the weird lock thingy by the train.
I smashed one lock in the mine, but can’t replicate that feat on any other locks.
I have never been married.
I haven’t been past the barrier in the train tunnel.
I haven’t removed the glittering boulder.
I have not seen whatever the bouncer is protecting in the desert.

Are there significant pieces of gameplay hidden behind those things, or is it more of the same now that I have all the money I need?

Prismatic Shard is the square, rainbow colored gem. It sells for a few thousand and is very rare.

Sounds like you burned yourself out, congrats.

Have you completed the community center/joja corp? There's a bunch of stuff locked behind that. Nothing truly game changing, as far as I know, but that's because the core game is simple.

Getting married is cool but if you don't care about the townsfolk then don't bother I guess.
As far as I know you cannot go through either tunnel.
I have no idea what locks you're talking about.

The game becomes even less guided when you've gotten as far as you have. Now it's time to set your own goals. There's a lot you can do that some people will find engaging:
- complete the Adventurer's Guild requests
- become good friends with everyone in town
- complete the achievements, collection tab, catch every fish
- make your farm and house beautiful
- obtain all the special items, like the Obelisks
- see how deep you can go in the mines

Of course, you can always restart with a new idea for a farm. For example, I'm in year 2 of an Orchard run. I grow a handful of crops, but my main focus is planting an orchard and making wine. I'm also courting Elliot and trying to catch all the legendary fish.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Take a prismatic shard to the desert and hold it above your head in the middle of the pillars

Also for the love of god finish the community center!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solumin posted:

Have you completed the community center/joja corp? There's a bunch of stuff locked behind that. Nothing truly game changing, as far as I know, but that's because the core game is simple.

I have not. I think I have two bundles left to complete. I can't find a fiddlehead fern. I'm assuming the weird vendor will have one, eventually.

Solumin posted:

Getting married is cool but if you don't care about the townsfolk then don't bother I guess.

I like getting their back stories. There are just a lot of days to invest if I can only give each one one gift per day, and two per week.

Solumin posted:

I have no idea what locks you're talking about.

I mean the giant locks laying around sometimes in the mines. You generally can't interact with them, but once I hit one, and it buckled.

I'm also talking about the thing by the spa with a weird creature's outline on it that says "????" when you examine it. Don't tell me any secrets! I just want to know if it's worth figuring out what that's for.

Solumin posted:

- become good friends with everyone in town
- complete the achievements, collection tab, catch every fish
- make your farm and house beautiful

Pretty much doing these, at the moment.

IcePhoenix posted:

Take a prismatic shard to the desert and hold it above your head in the middle of the pillars

Also for the love of god finish the community center!

Ohh, yeah. I forgot about those pillars. I need to see if what I have is a prismatic shard, or not. It looks like a gen (I don't think it's square) with bright colored stripes.

Edit: It is a prismatic shard.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 28, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Find Fiddlehead Ferns in the secret woods - you know, the little offshoot near where the cart is blocked by a fallen log. They're only there in summer though, if I remember.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I mean the giant locks laying around sometimes in the mines. You generally can't interact with them, but once I hit one, and it buckled.

...do you mean the old knapsacks full of coal that you occasionally see on the ground down there? I can't think of anything else that looks like a giant lock in the mines.

Like the old minecarts full of coal, they're one-time-only things; you use one, get the coal, and then it'll be empty if you ever visit that level of the mines again. (But you might find another on a different level.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The key to making friends with the townsfolk is giving them one of their favorite items on their birthday. There are certain items everyone loves, and a lot of items everyone likes. Give them something they love (or even just like) on their birthday and you'll get a huge boost.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I really don't bother learning what they like or when their birthdays are. Women whose names start with E, former POWs and Willy the Fisherman (?!) are the only people who don't at least appreciate having sashimi shoved in their face, and all four of them like coffee just fine. Those two are pretty much what I survive on anyway so it's kinda trivial to just keep shoving em at everyone until they're all happy.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

...do you mean the old knapsacks full of coal that you occasionally see on the ground down there? I can't think of anything else that looks like a giant lock in the mines.

Like the old minecarts full of coal, they're one-time-only things; you use one, get the coal, and then it'll be empty if you ever visit that level of the mines again. (But you might find another on a different level.)

Maybe I do. I can see those being knapsacks. They never cough up any coal, though. Not as far as I can remember.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well, I finally managed to keep the same save long enough to complete the drat community center. Not sure what to do now. I just got pigs, so maybe I'll get some more and try and fill the rest of my farming space up with crops. Maybe keep working on project "greenhouse of all starfruit and ancient fruit". Might even make a serious run at the skull mines but to do that I'm going to need a poo poo load more stone and bombs. I should get married.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not sure why but the random "I should get married" at the end of all that gave me a hearty guffaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

last possible thing on the man's list

"i guess i should probably get married in this lovely loving one horse town"

"no like literally i own the only horse"