Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is it bad that I read that article and am just glad that someone's actually investigating and seeming to care about it instead of what's going on in the US at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AgentF posted:

How did Keating never get even a single positive netsat? What was at play then that overshadowed everything?

He got rid of a popular leader and came across as an arrogant arsehole (because he was an arrogant arsehole).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Organza Quiz posted:

Is it bad that I read that article and am just glad that someone's actually investigating and seeming to care about it instead of what's going on in the US at the moment?

Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton are assholes and scumbags, but neither one is parroting alt-right talking points and anti-Semetic dog whistles. Though one Liberal had to take down a tweet about George Soros.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Count Chocula posted:

Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton are assholes and scumbags, but neither one is parroting alt-right talking points and anti-Semetic dog whistles. Though one Liberal had to take down a tweet about George Soros.

The anti-Semetic part is certainly true - but the alt right dog whistles bit? That's their only play.

You're confused because they're doing it right - the GOP, Trump and Fox keep saying the quiet part loud.

More of a dog foghorn.

Doghorn.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

The anti-Semetic part is certainly true - but the alt right dog whistles bit? That's their only play.

You're confused because they're doing it right - the GOP, Trump and Fox keep saying the quiet part loud.

More of a dog foghorn.

Doghorn.

I don't think Dutton is doing it 'right', saying gangs of Africans are prowling the streets of Melbourne looking for good citizens to attack is about as loud as most whistles the American right has.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/10/27/world/asia/27reuters-australia-immigration.html

Protestors Rally in Australian Cities to End Offshore Refugee Detention

By Reuters
Oct. 27, 2018

MELBOURNE — Protesters rallied in Australia's two largest cities, Sydney and Melbourne, on Saturday calling for an end to the country's controversial South Pacific detention centers which house refugees who try to reach Australia by boat.

Particular focus was directed toward the wellbeing of children on the tiny island nation of Nauru, though refugee advocates said all refugees should be out of detention.

"It's kids off, everyone off and bring them here," Ian Rintoul, from the Refugee Action Coalition told Reuters on Saturday.

More than 1,400 people are being held on the Australian-run detention centers on Nauru and Papua New Guinea, some for years.
ADVERTISEMENT

The rally organizers said thousands attended the protests in each city, but local media had smaller estimates. There was no estimate from police.

Australia refuses to allow asylum seekers arriving by boat to reach the country. It says the policy deters people smugglers in Asia from plying their trade and saves lives by stopping people sailing in unseaworthy boats from Indonesia to Australia.

Breaking big stories requires support.
Subscribe to The New York Times
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison is under increased pressure to immediately resettle children on Nauru, after aid agencies and doctors raising concerns of a health crisis.

Worsening mental health has left some of the children on Nauru in a "semi-comatose state", unable to eat, drink or talk, says humanitarian group Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), which was ejected from Nauru by the island's government.

ADVERTISEMENT

Morrison’s government is on the verge of losing its majority after a devastating by-election on October 20, and key independents have warned their support hinges on him freeing children on Nauru.
On Monday, 11 child migrants were evacuated from Nauru for medical treatment.

Australia first introduced offshore processing of refugees between 2001 and 2008 and started it again in 2012. In 2013 it significantly toughened the policy, ruling that even if people were found to be refugees they would never be resettled in Australia.

(Reporting by Will Ziebell; Editing by Michael Perry)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hidys posted:

A dude who makes Bill Shorten look like Anthony Albanese.

He looks like a business lobby stooge?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope we can openly fight these Nazis with knives and hammers soon because I'm not getting any loving younger or stronger.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

JBP posted:

He looks like a business lobby stooge?

As a description of Luke Foley that’s not wrong.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Why the gently caress do people care so much about a loving horse race? I’m the anti-animal dude and even I can see this poo poo is evil. Read Overlay, and obscure sci-fi novel by Barry Malzberg about an alien discovering how evil horse racing and gambling is.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/sma...tx3bDjgZ1wIfIjM
AN inner-Sydney pub’s decision to boycott the race that stops a nation has sparked an outpouring of outrage — and praise.

The Newtown Hotel, located in Sydney’s hipster mecca of Newtown, has revealed it will not celebrate the Melbourne Cup on November 6.

Instead, it will hold a “F**k the Cup” event in a bid to protest the increasingly controversial annual race.

• Photo ends ‘ugly’ Harry rumour

• Hunt for $200 ‘dine and dash’ trio

• Online sales season kicks off

In a recent Facebook post advertising its alternative event, the venue explained: “We aren’t about horse racing … so instead we are becoming an island from all the other venues around us … that won’t be televising the Melbourne Cup or hosting some fancy lunch for suits to bet on some horse because its name is cute!”

The event will feature local bands as well as a “karma keg” of beer, with all proceeds to go to Horse Rescue Australia to rehabilitate ex-racing horses.

The Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with progressive, Greens-voting locals. Picture: Damian Shaw
The Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with progressive, Greens-voting locals. Picture: Damian ShawSource:News Corp Australia
The post has received thousands of likes, shares and comments, with the majority of commenters praising the pub’s decision.

“Amazing! Thank you for taking a step in the right direction and rejecting the exploitation and abuse of horses!” one Facebook user wrote, while another added: “So glad boycotting horse cruelty is finally becoming a thing! It’s right up there with greyhound racing and all other forms of animal abuse.”

The Newtown Hotel's event is dividing opinions. Picture: Facebook
The Newtown Hotel's event is dividing opinions. Picture: FacebookSource:Facebook
Others also criticised the Melbourne Cup for encouraging excessive gambling and using animals for entertainment and financial gain.

The Melbourne Cup has been an annual highlight for many Australians since it first began in 1861.

However, over the years it has attracted increasing backlash from animal lovers who believe the event is cruel and inhumane.

That backlash intensified in 2014 after two horses died directly because of the Melbourne Cup.

That year, Admire Rakti collapsed and died in his stall after the race and Araldo was euthanased after breaking his leg after the event after being spooked by a waving flag.

The next year, Red Cadeaux was also put down after sustaining an injury during the race.

However, while the Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with the famously progressive, Greens-voting people of Newtown, it has also been slammed by others as “anti-Australian” and an example of PC “madness”.

Liberal MLC Peter Phelps has also hit out at the protest, telling The Daily Telegraph it was “petty” and only for “woke animal liberationists who love that sort of thing”.

“The vast majority of Australians are going to be watching the cup — if people want to be grumble bums, they can be grumble bums,” he told the publication.

But PETA spokeswoman Emily Rice told news.com.au the tide was well and truly turning against the race.

“Events that boycott the Melbourne Cup grow in number and popularity every year — and for good reason,” she said.

“Ever since Archer won the first Melbourne Cup while injured — in a race in which two other horses died — countless horses have sustained catastrophic injuries on the racetrack.

“Between July 2017 and July 2018, 119 horses died on Australian racecourses and hundreds more were injured.”

Ms Rice said the Melbourne Cup was gambling with the lives of race horses.

“Forcing horses to run at breakneck speeds while being whipped is gambling with their lives,” she said.

“Those who survive to the end of their racing days, which comes when they’re still quite young, are often discarded, slaughtered, and sold for their flesh.

“There’s nothing ‘sporting’ about animals suffering and dying on the track.”

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Count Chocula posted:

Why the gently caress do people care so much about a loving horse race? I’m the anti-animal dude and even I can see this poo poo is evil. Read Overlay, and obscure sci-fi novel by Barry Malzberg about an alien discovering how evil horse racing and gambling is.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/sma...tx3bDjgZ1wIfIjM
AN inner-Sydney pub’s decision to boycott the race that stops a nation has sparked an outpouring of outrage — and praise.

The Newtown Hotel, located in Sydney’s hipster mecca of Newtown, has revealed it will not celebrate the Melbourne Cup on November 6.

Instead, it will hold a “F**k the Cup” event in a bid to protest the increasingly controversial annual race.

• Photo ends ‘ugly’ Harry rumour

• Hunt for $200 ‘dine and dash’ trio

• Online sales season kicks off

In a recent Facebook post advertising its alternative event, the venue explained: “We aren’t about horse racing … so instead we are becoming an island from all the other venues around us … that won’t be televising the Melbourne Cup or hosting some fancy lunch for suits to bet on some horse because its name is cute!”

The event will feature local bands as well as a “karma keg” of beer, with all proceeds to go to Horse Rescue Australia to rehabilitate ex-racing horses.

The Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with progressive, Greens-voting locals. Picture: Damian Shaw
The Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with progressive, Greens-voting locals. Picture: Damian ShawSource:News Corp Australia
The post has received thousands of likes, shares and comments, with the majority of commenters praising the pub’s decision.

“Amazing! Thank you for taking a step in the right direction and rejecting the exploitation and abuse of horses!” one Facebook user wrote, while another added: “So glad boycotting horse cruelty is finally becoming a thing! It’s right up there with greyhound racing and all other forms of animal abuse.”

The Newtown Hotel's event is dividing opinions. Picture: Facebook
The Newtown Hotel's event is dividing opinions. Picture: FacebookSource:Facebook
Others also criticised the Melbourne Cup for encouraging excessive gambling and using animals for entertainment and financial gain.

The Melbourne Cup has been an annual highlight for many Australians since it first began in 1861.

However, over the years it has attracted increasing backlash from animal lovers who believe the event is cruel and inhumane.

That backlash intensified in 2014 after two horses died directly because of the Melbourne Cup.

That year, Admire Rakti collapsed and died in his stall after the race and Araldo was euthanased after breaking his leg after the event after being spooked by a waving flag.

The next year, Red Cadeaux was also put down after sustaining an injury during the race.

However, while the Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with the famously progressive, Greens-voting people of Newtown, it has also been slammed by others as “anti-Australian” and an example of PC “madness”.

Liberal MLC Peter Phelps has also hit out at the protest, telling The Daily Telegraph it was “petty” and only for “woke animal liberationists who love that sort of thing”.

“The vast majority of Australians are going to be watching the cup — if people want to be grumble bums, they can be grumble bums,” he told the publication.

But PETA spokeswoman Emily Rice told news.com.au the tide was well and truly turning against the race.

“Events that boycott the Melbourne Cup grow in number and popularity every year — and for good reason,” she said.

“Ever since Archer won the first Melbourne Cup while injured — in a race in which two other horses died — countless horses have sustained catastrophic injuries on the racetrack.

“Between July 2017 and July 2018, 119 horses died on Australian racecourses and hundreds more were injured.”

Ms Rice said the Melbourne Cup was gambling with the lives of race horses.

“Forcing horses to run at breakneck speeds while being whipped is gambling with their lives,” she said.

“Those who survive to the end of their racing days, which comes when they’re still quite young, are often discarded, slaughtered, and sold for their flesh.

“There’s nothing ‘sporting’ about animals suffering and dying on the track.”

My work always does a Melbourne Cup event. I feel uneasy about it because I'm quite anti-gambling. I feel forced to participate so as not to be That Person.

Also I don't know why refusing to participate is such a big deal. Loads of people are anti-gambling and anti-animal cruelty.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I was in the same boat with work. I’m anti-gambling for personal reasons and the Melbourne Cup really bugs me because it’s a whole holiday devoted to gambling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOFeaedv3Uc - here’s a song about using your girlfriend’s psychic powers to cheat at horse racing

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Count Chocula posted:

I was in the same boat with work. I’m anti-gambling for personal reasons and the Melbourne Cup really bugs me because it’s a whole holiday devoted to gambling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOFeaedv3Uc - here’s a song about using your girlfriend’s psychic powers to cheat at horse racing

There was a goon a while back who said in addiction circles it's known as Relapse Day and that addiction treatment centres keep the news off the entire week leading up to it as well as keeping newspapers etc away from the patients. But that does nothing for people who suddenly have to work out how to turn down their colleagues for a drink or a chance a the office pool.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

How did gambling get so entrenched in Australian culture anyway? Has it always been here or is it the fault of the gambling lobby? Having a national holiday for a horse race just seems completely absurd to me. I suppose if I grew up in Kentucky i’d be used to it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Count Chocula posted:

How did gambling get so entrenched in Australian culture anyway? Has it always been here or is it the fault of the gambling lobby? Having a national holiday for a horse race just seems completely absurd to me. I suppose if I grew up in Kentucky i’d be used to it.

Sports m888888888888888888

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I don’t understand sports but in most countries the sports people watch seem like real sports and I get why they like them. Horse racing isn’t a real sport, it’s literally just an excuse to gamble.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

Before they decided teaching little kids about gambling was a bad idea, at some point in school I learned about Two-up which is a (now illegal) gambling game based around tossing two coins. It's traditionally associated with Anzac day and diggers, but it's supposedly older than that. The cliche is that Australians will gamble on anything, and if there's nothing going on to gamble on, they'll get a guy to chuck coins and gamble on that. So I guess it's partly historic? For race day its about dressing up and drinking champagne and pretending to be rich though.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

JBP posted:

I hope we can openly fight these Nazis with sickles and hammers soon

Same.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

Before they decided teaching little kids about gambling was a bad idea, at some point in school I learned about Two-up which is a (now illegal) gambling game based around tossing two coins. It's traditionally associated with Anzac day and diggers, but it's supposedly older than that. The cliche is that Australians will gamble on anything, and if there's nothing going on to gamble on, they'll get a guy to chuck coins and gamble on that. So I guess it's partly historic? For race day its about dressing up and drinking champagne and pretending to be rich though.

https://youtu.be/QJI-sMQQnWE
As immortalized in the greatest Australian movie ever

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

For race day its about dressing up and drinking champagne and pretending to be rich though.

This is exactly it; it's both sad and infuriating. It's lower-class white Australians playing dress-up, but as boringly as possible. Women squeezed into identical, palette-swapped shiny dresses with identical hats and fascinators; men who never, ever wear suits wearing suits but as if they're not suits. All of them being fancy and classy for the day, which apparently means getting pissed and becoming as obnoxious as possible. This is the best they can do at imagining a better life for themselves. This is their fantasy.

(Like boomers buying yachts. Everyone's so loving, loving boring.)

Everything about the Melbourne Cup is the worst; every aspect of it, from top to bottom.

Horse races and casinos. gently caress it's sad.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Horse racing really provides an outlet for people that have that creepy obsession with bloodlines and breeding. I don't consider it a real sport because half the participants have no desire to win. The element of mindless randomness is what makes it so attractive to gambling.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I wonder if the racecourse got all the concrete bollards same as the city. They pack the racegoers in so tight on cup day that I hope it doesn't turn into another Bourke St mall rampage.

Although, maybe something like that would discourage people from enjoying the cup :tinfoil:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was quite surprised when they republished their old numbers and took completely the opposite interpretation from what they originally said.

Between that and the Tele's cover about children on Naaru I think we're close to the point where the Murdoch press accepts Labor's going to win, like they did some time in 2007.

That, or it's an objective lesson for the coalition. A reminder of who is really in charge here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Kieran_Gilbert/status/1056617808631496704

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

AgentF posted:

How did Keating never get even a single positive netsat? What was at play then that overshadowed everything?

Keating gave no fucks about how much the public agreed with him, he did what he considered was necessary for the country and treated anyone who didn’t agree with him as idiots not worth his time. He was consistently very unpopular with women, probably due to his combatative style.

The structural overhauls of the economy such as the lowering of the tariff walls, the float, the wage accords, super etc; all took time to bring tangible benefits to households. Unemployment was high in the early 90s, any boomer will whine about interest rates etc. the changes did however allow Howard and Costello to Steve Bradbury their way through 11 years of economic growth.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I can't wait for it to all be over. YouTube has been serving me nothing but spring racing gambling ads for the last few weeks and it's driving me mad.

Also vegan hungry jacks.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/FrBower/status/1056378428000071680?s=19

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He got rid of a popular leader and came across as an arrogant arsehole (because he was an arrogant arsehole).

he also had the recession hanging over him until he was thrown out. He copped a lot of flak for his comment 'the recession Australia had to have' as treasurer, people argued he was an out of touch wanker and some argued that he and Hawkes policy setting is what caused the recession to be as bad as it was, claiming they used that to adjust inflation instead of other reductionary measures.

Anyway Keating was another third-way wanker wasn't he?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

hambeet posted:

he also had the recession hanging over him until he was thrown out. He copped a lot of flak for his comment 'the recession Australia had to have' as treasurer, people argued he was an out of touch wanker and some argued that he and Hawkes policy setting is what caused the recession to be as bad as it was, claiming they used that to adjust inflation instead of other reductionary measures.

Anyway Keating was another third-way wanker wasn't he?

he was, since renounced, apparently.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Not really renounced, his latest thought bubble is to introduce another mandatory contribution insurance scheme ala superannuation that only pays out if you live to over 80 years old, ostensibly to solve the issue of aged poverty. An opposing suggestion is to, you know, pay a liveable pension.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh wow the Anzac Spirit medal

:barf:

Good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I can't wait for the ABC documentry on all of this.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Horse racing really provides an outlet for people that have that creepy obsession with bloodlines and breeding. I don't consider it a real sport because half the participants have no desire to win. The element of mindless randomness is what makes it so attractive to gambling.

I've still got a few hate follows left on my facebook, and one of the ones I keep around LOVES Winx to a weird degree. Like posting things about how much of an inspiration it is for him and celebratory posts after each win and what a sight it was. I just do not understand that fascination with a pretty fast horse.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

I've still got a few hate follows left on my facebook, and one of the ones I keep around LOVES Winx to a weird degree. Like posting things about how much of an inspiration it is for him and celebratory posts after each win and what a sight it was. I just do not understand that fascination with a pretty fast horse.

It's like being personally inspired by a car that goes fast.
The look in Winx's terrified, uncomprehending eyes as it is beaten with a whip to run faster really inspired me to put in 110% at the office today

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would go to an anti cup event

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Stoca Zola posted:

Two Up played in a licensed premises on ANZAC Day with the officiation of an RSL, with the proceedes going to the RSL is legal actually.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bowmore posted:

I would go to an anti cup event

same

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Mouhammad and Pamela Tabbaa are facing a million-dollar legal bill after they lost a major defamation action against the Nine Network over a 60 Minutes program which accused the couple of allowing the kidnapping of their 13-year old daughter Nadia, holding her against her will in Syria where she was forced to marry a cousin 15 years her senior.

In December, after only a day’s deliberation, a Supreme Court jury found that the claims made in the 60 Minutes program, titled “Forced Marriage: An Extraordinary Story of Kidnap, Survival, Escape and Hiding,” were substantially true.

Justice Des Fagan was scathing about the Tabbaas’ case and, after the jury delivered its verdict, he described Mrs Tabbaa’s evidence as “just absolutely appalling”.

The judge suggested the court should infer that the Tabbaas “colluded” with their son Omar “for the purpose of attempting to extract a damages award from what they perceive to be a wealthy media defendant”.

Mrs Tabbaa was ordered to pay Nine Network’s costs on an indemnity basis because the judge held she gave evidence that she knew to be false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

• Locked thread