Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

corn in the bible posted:

They were clearly refugees from the spider moon abortion episode and that's why the Doctor didn't want to kill them

Those were Space Spiders you fool, a whole different thing!

Which in turn are different from Metebelis 3 Eight-Legs, which are Alien Spiders (and also assholes).

I mean.... GAWD! :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

spider moon abortion

Played the best gig I've ever been to.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

spog posted:

Definitely a 'we blew our budget last week' episode.

But I think that made it better.

She was more Doctorly than ever before and a much stronger character than previous episodes.

The Doctor's face when the "not trump" was explaining who he was was exquisite

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Ed Sheeran's running for President!?! :aaa:"

I loving love when she completely undermines some trumped up (pun not intended) rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Apropos of nothing: I also loving love Whittaker's facial expressions:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 29, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really enjoyed that episode. It was good to see Walsh get some time on his own reflecting on the events of the first episode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, Doctor Who has never shied away from a political message...but literally having the gun toting potential presidential candidate advocate shooting anything that moves and directly quoting Donald Trump is EXTREMELY on the nose

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you are arachnophobic how bad / tolerable is the episode?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Reiterating what others have said, the Doctor’s anti-gun stuff seems pretty stupid. She’s fine with blowing up robots and starving mutant spiders, but for some reason shooting them is awful.

E:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It’s not as bad as some other things (e.g. the Lord of the Rings, which I just close my eyes when watching for a while), although the spiders are surprisingly realistic looking for Doctor Who. I mostly watched it and looked at my phone when it got a bit much. It’s about as bad as Harry Potter’s spiders I’d say.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 29, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Don't watch it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

jivjov posted:

Man, Doctor Who has never shied away from a political message...but literally having the gun toting potential presidential candidate advocate shooting anything that moves and directly quoting Donald Trump is EXTREMELY on the nose

more on the nose than the time they killed George W. Bush and then made a point to rewind time so he stayed dead unlike everyone else?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

The fifth episode of the revival had the acting prime minister of the UK claim that aliens had massive weapons of destruction that could be deployed within fourty-five seconds. Unsubtle dunking on contemporary political figures has been a proud tradition of Doctor Who since even before the revival.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s a proud Who tradition, just about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And right before the hiatus, we had an absolutely blatant parody of the then-Prime Minister and her husband as the villains of a fascist state.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

HD DAD posted:

It’s a proud Who tradition, just about.

Never forget when the Doctor took on Thatcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkjc_5yGCmM

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

High Warlord Zog posted:

That was fine. The plot was a pretty flimsy and some of the action beats needed more room to breath, but the character moments were great, especially with Graham in his house. So same flaws as the other episodes, but more pronounced. I like that the show is about people now and not convoluted puzzle box storytelling for the sake of being clever and to the end of delivering overblown self indulgent proclamations about the show itself.

the capaldi era was 110% about people

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

"Ed Sheeran's running for President!?! :aaa:"

I loving love when she completely undermines some trumped up (pun not intended) rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Apropos of nothing: I also loving love Whittaker's facial expressions:

She has an amazing :wtc: face, that’s for sure. Chris Noth makes a good Trump knock off too. I like that he wasn’t an antagonist, just a dipsit obstacle for the Doctor. It’s the perfect way to handle that.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I still want him to get harriet jones'd

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cargohills posted:

Reiterating what others have said, the Doctor’s anti-gun stuff seems pretty stupid. She’s fine with blowing up robots and starving mutant spiders, but for some reason shooting them is awful.

Don't forget letting one painfully suffocate for hours!

It's okay, though, because those were "natural" deaths.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

“My fam” :3:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Another daft plot made compelling because the characters we're watching and the actors portraying them are compelling.

That's not a complaint, that's basically the ideal state of Doctor Who for me.

It did feel like a "welp we're out of time let's just call it done" ending but I didn't really mind, I think the Donald Trump Humanity Is The Real Monster ending was both well enough established and well earned.

Thank Christ I don't particularly mind spiders, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget letting one painfully suffocate for hours!

It's okay, though, because those were "natural" deaths.

She clearly wasn't "fine" with the big one suffocating, she just didn't get a chance to do anything about it before Mr. Bigly shot it.

I do agree that the show could stand to make her "guns bad but killing in some other fashion okay" attitude a little more nuanced, especially since it really seems more like "it's okay for me to kill things but not for the rest of you to", and that's an attitude that could lead somewhere interesting, given the Doctor's history.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
1.) twitter was already shipping Yaz/Thirteen p hard and that episode seemed designed to magnify it
2.) Chris Noth better get Harriet Jonesed or I quit
3.) Graham is a perfect angel who must be protected at all costs

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Honestly, if there was video of a presidential candidate walking up to, and shooting, a 15 foot spider... I think it would be the biggest landslide victory in history.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Very disappointing not-Trump didnt get eaten by a spider.

Also I feel like this felt the most Doctor Whoish of all the episodes. Doesnt mean the others were bad , just that I think all of the transition is hopefully over with and Jodie can hit her stride.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

1.) twitter was already shipping Yaz/Thirteen p hard and that episode seemed designed to magnify it

I dug that the entire thing was designed around Yaz's mum just wanting Yaz to be dating SOMEBODY and she didn't give a gently caress what their gender was. :3:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Never forget when the Doctor took on Thatcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkjc_5yGCmM

There's also the other time the Doctor took on Thatcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60shMyabeMo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

docbeard posted:

She clearly wasn't "fine" with the big one suffocating, she just didn't get a chance to do anything about it before Mr. Bigly shot it.

I do agree that the show could stand to make her "guns bad but killing in some other fashion okay" attitude a little more nuanced, especially since it really seems more like "it's okay for me to kill things but not for the rest of you to", and that's an attitude that could lead somewhere interesting, given the Doctor's history.
I think it's mostly that a) people use guns without actually working out the best course of action first and b) guns are rarely good solutions to the problems she faces. Generally they just piss the monster off or attracts more alien soldiers to you. She'll only use violence after working out that it's actually required, and if she does it's generally on a larger scale that will actually solve the problem.

The spider at the end wasn't an immediate threat and there may have been some way to keep it alive in captivity.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

cargohills posted:

You know what? Given how often TV and movies show guns as unrealistically useful solutions to all sorts of things, as well as turning actual gun battles into one-shot miracles as if that's how things usually work, I am quite all right with a single character on a single show being unreasonably anti-gun.

I'm not even convinced it is unreasonable. Ten was unquestionably hypocritical in this regard, but we've seen Thirteen kill exactly zero things thus far. The EMP didn't blow up anything. That's not how EMP works. It shut the robots down, and most likely only temporarily, given that they turned themselves on in the first place.

And she wasn't starving mutant spiders. They were already starving. What would you propose, bringing in a bunch of cattle for them to eat? Mutating some flies for them? Do you consider someone who squashes a regular-sized spider in their home to be a murderer? They're arachnids, not human beings. They deserved a humane death; allowing them to live and propagate would have been cruel, not kind.

I know someone who owned a horse; it became ill and she was there when it was euthanized. They euthanized the horse humanely and with drugs to avoid causing the animal unnecessary pain. They did not step up to it and shoot it with a gun. Anyone who can't see the difference is really revealing something about the way they perceive humane behavior. Unsurprisingly, Mr. Bigly has no concept of humane behavior.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

yeah my only read was that, if nothing else, Yas's whole family definitely thinks she's gay

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It struck me that they worry that she doesn't seem to have a social life/friends/anything outside of work, so they were excited to see her have friends and maybe a girlfriend/boyfriend too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it's mostly that a) people use guns without actually working out the best course of action first and b) guns are rarely good solutions to the problems she faces. Generally they just piss the monster off or attracts more alien soldiers to you. She'll only use violence after working out that it's actually required, and if she does it's generally on a larger scale that will actually solve the problem.

The spider at the end wasn't an immediate threat and there may have been some way to keep it alive in captivity.

Yeah, I agree, I like the attitude (and I thought it was presented well in The Ghost Monument when Ryan grabbed a gun and just made their situation worse). I just think it could be presented a little more effectively.

Narsham posted:

You know what? Given how often TV and movies show guns as unrealistically useful solutions to all sorts of things, as well as turning actual gun battles into one-shot miracles as if that's how things usually work, I am quite all right with a single character on a single show being unreasonably anti-gun.

I'm not even convinced it is unreasonable. Ten was unquestionably hypocritical in this regard, but we've seen Thirteen kill exactly zero things thus far. The EMP didn't blow up anything. That's not how EMP works. It shut the robots down, and most likely only temporarily, given that they turned themselves on in the first place.

And she wasn't starving mutant spiders. They were already starving. What would you propose, bringing in a bunch of cattle for them to eat? Mutating some flies for them? Do you consider someone who squashes a regular-sized spider in their home to be a murderer? They're arachnids, not human beings. They deserved a humane death; allowing them to live and propagate would have been cruel, not kind.

I know someone who owned a horse; it became ill and she was there when it was euthanized. They euthanized the horse humanely and with drugs to avoid causing the animal unnecessary pain. They did not step up to it and shoot it with a gun. Anyone who can't see the difference is really revealing something about the way they perceive humane behavior. Unsurprisingly, Mr. Bigly has no concept of humane behavior.

She did burn up the evil bedsheets (though again were they actually alive or just very clever machines) but yeah, I generally agree with all of this. It's clumsy presentation (at worst), not a bad or dumb character trait, particularly for the Doctor.

And yeah, I did think it was reasonably clear that she was looking for a way to humanely euthanize the spiders (and certainly either she or the spider researcher did that offscreen).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It struck me that they worry that she doesn't seem to have a social life/friends/anything outside of work, so they were excited to see her have friends and maybe a girlfriend/boyfriend too.

You're probably right, they just ruled out Ryan as a possibility fairly quickly.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

docbeard posted:

Mr. Bigly

I love you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, just the idea that she was bringing friends around at all seemed really noteworthy to them, particularly to her sister.

Other observations:

I was a little surprised that when Kevin the Bodyguard started threatening her and her mother with a gun she didn't so much as mention that she was a police officer.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Ryan's shadow animals yet! (There had better be a gif of these I am just saying)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jerusalem posted:

I dug that the entire thing was designed around Yaz's mum just wanting Yaz to be dating SOMEBODY and she didn't give a gently caress what their gender was. :3:

That bit was adorable. Yaz's Mom owns

eke out posted:

yeah my only read was that, if nothing else, Yas's whole family definitely thinks she's gay

on that note I like that we're seeing more of Yaz's family but I still feel like we know next to nothing about Yaz herself as a character

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The weakest of the season so far- feels like they got a little confused about what story they actually wanted to tell, and got caught between “scary monster movie” and “ah but who are the real monsters?”

That said shout out to Ryan doing shadow puppets in the spider lab.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That episode was incredibly charming. I really love these characters.

Narsham posted:

My issue isn't that she's being unreasonably anti-gun, it's that they keep writing situations where guns aren't clearly the wrong answer. If there's a locked door and a character wants to shoot out the lock having the Doctor go "no, guns are bad!" actually undercuts what's meaningful and important about being against guns. The issue is that they're easy violence, and that leads to a terrible mindset, if nothing else. This episode actually did a good job explaining and then demonstrating it it with the rear end in a top hat American, but without establishing that the robots well-being mattered or that the EMP was less destructive, she was basically criticizing Ryan for using a gun to try and blow a lock off a door. And while the Doctor called out the rear end in a top hat American's actions as obviously not actually being a mercy killing... a mercy killing was a legitimate option, and if they'd decided that was the most humane thing to do, a gun very well might have been the most humane way to see that through.

Though thinking about it, I guess the Doctor's main objection was that the guy clearly wasn't merciful. She didn't explicitly call out his action or his tool in that scene, just his mindset, which was clearly a terrible one that deserved to be called out.

I really do like that the Doctor is anti-gun, given what we see in media in general. I just want them to pull it off well, and on reflection I think they actually did this episode, while episode 2 could have used a couple more lines to establish the issue better.

quote:

She actually didn't starve the spiders- they established that there was a whole bunch of food in there. They didn't explicitly say the spiders could eat it, but I thought that was the implication.

I like to imagine that she popped in there with her Tardis later and released them somewhere else where they wouldn't do any harm.

The level of compassion the Doctor had for spiders- not intelligent spiders or anything, just big ol' regular mutated spiders- was really nice and refreshing. They were pretty reasonably monsters that shouldn't exist, that killed people and were unstable and could barely survive. There was every reason in the world to just shut off your empathy and write them off. Can't coexist with them. They're not even intelligent. They were going to die anyway. It's fine. Who cares.

But not for the Doctor. She still cared. It was nice.

docbeard posted:

I can't believe no one's mentioned Ryan's shadow animals yet! (There had better be a gif of these I am just saying)
Oh that was fantastic, I couldn't stop laughing at the time, but I kind of forgot about it because no one ended up calling it out in the show either. It was just a charming little thing he was doing in the background.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I'm going to be that guy, and someone correct me if I don't know my history properly, but I'm pretty sure there's never been a coal mine that close to the surface near Sheffield, at least in the 20th century (which are the pits they'd be reclaiming the land above in any developments right now).

The mineshafts in the town I grew up in were about 900 yards (2700 feet) below the surface, and that wasn't unusual for that seam of coal, so either the basements in that hotel go one hell of a way down, or...

I know, I know, dramatic licence, overthinking it, etc. Just an annoying detail.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Eiba posted:

I like to imagine that she popped in there with her Tardis later and released them somewhere else where they wouldn't do any harm.

Sometime in the past, maybe on a barren rick called Metebelus 3, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Soothing Vapors posted:

on that note I like that we're seeing more of Yaz's family but I still feel like we know next to nothing about Yaz herself as a character

I don't think she knows who she is either because she never mentioned that she was a police officer to not Trump.