Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

And then the world opens up and you start exploring the earths mantle and core?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

I've had a VPN for 3 years now. Anyone else bothered by it does too. It's an issue put to bed already.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Frogfingers posted:

I've had a VPN for 3 years now. Anyone else bothered by it does too. It's an issue put to bed already.

or just change your DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Frogfingers posted:

:wrong:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Laserface posted:

or just change your DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Please do not post illegal hacks on the something awful forums

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The NSW Nationals will write to 20 members asking them to justify why they should not be expelled from the party over their alleged links to white supremacist and alt-right movements.

But the party's state director Ross Cadell admitted it was impossible to track down and get rid of all members with extremist views.

The party has investigated about 35 members, after the ABC revealed a push by people involved in the alt-right movement to join mainstream Australian political parties, in order to influence their policy agendas from within.

Some of those under investigation allegedly shared social media posts praising the Holocaust and Hitler, while others have been pictured in photos posing in white-power symbols.

Mr Cadell said it was likely 20 people would receive letters asking them to explain their actions.

"We would hope to write to them and have them justify why they should remain members of the National Party," Mr Cadell said.

He said he expected "almost certainly some will be facing expulsion," but not all of those who will be sent letters were implicated to the same level.

"Some of them have partaken in hate speech and some of them haven't," he said.

"But they are linked closely enough that we want to get some understanding of where they are and that's what we hope to do.

"There's a photo of them pulling alleged white power symbol at a dinner table and there's some members of the party that were just sitting there.

"They aren't pulling the same symbol, but they are doing hand gestures and we just want to clarify where they are, what they're doing and what is their involvement, if any."

Mr Cadell said he had, before the investigation, noticed a change in the profile of people joining up to the Young Nationals.

He said the Nationals were sharing information with "at least one other political party" that it may too have been infiltrated.

He did not name the party, but said it was not the Liberal Party.

The Nationals state director said it was impossible to be sure that no other members of the Nationals sympathised with neo-Nazi views.

"I think in any political party where you've got almost 10,000 members, you're going to have people who are sleepers from all sorts of beliefs," he said.

"The difference to us is that this is about those who engage in hate speech and as soon as they pop up we have to get them quickly but if they hold different beliefs and they hold them quietly, they're almost impossible to find."

Hello, could you please explain for PR reasons just why you were burning a cross? We're sure you have a reaaaaaaally good reason and we just need it kthx :) .

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

stop loving melting down and using italics

Yeah, nah

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Got in before i got to make a joke about the NSW Nationals planning to dissolve.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

italics has the stink of tvtropes and reddit

Still loling at this btw

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You can't use that type of formatting! It's Reddit font!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Lid posted:

The NSW Nationals will write to 20 members asking them to justify why they should not be expelled from the party over their alleged links to white supremacist and alt-right movements.

But the party's state director Ross Cadell admitted it was impossible to track down and get rid of all members with extremist views.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Yes, good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Clarke_Melissa/status/1056733300142698496

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Still loling at this btw

it's true and goongrats on having the worst writing style in the world

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Coalition conservatives led by former prime minister Tony Abbott are pushing back against moves to bring refugee children and their families from Nauru to Australia, as views soften in the government about getting minors off the island.

Mr Abbott warned taking the remaining 50 children off Nauru would signal to asylum seekers that they could get to Australia if they just brought minors with them.

"If we give them what they want, we will get more of them - that's to say, the boats will start up again," he told 2GB radio on Monday.

"Of course 'kids off Nauru' is a great slogan, but it's a dreadful guide for policy because if we aren't allowed to have kids on Nauru, [asylum seekers will believe] just bring some kids with you and you automatically get to Australia."

Mr Abbott disputed the evidence given by doctors who have returned from the island - including the charity Doctors Without Borders - that the health and mental wellbeing of children and families on Nauru was at a crisis point.

He cited the presence of 65 health professionals on the island to cater for about 650 men, women and children.

"They are being very well looked after on Nauru," Mr Abbott told 2GB.

"Health services on Nauru for boat people are much more extensive than the health services that a lot of regional towns get here in Australia."

"And Nauru is no hell hole by any means. If you like living in the tropics, it's a very, very pleasant island."

LNP senator James McGrath tweeted in support of strong border protection on Monday and added: "You never hear the left mourning those who drowned at sea do you? Sanctimonious hypocrites."

Another Liberal MP told Fairfax Media: "It would be extraordinarily foolish for anybody in our party to want to dilute the signature achievement of this government, which is restoring integrity to our borders.

"Caving in to the radical left on this issue will embolden the people smugglers to fill their boats with children."

Liberal senator Jim Molan, also speaking to 2GB, said people who advocated bringing children and their families from Nauru to Australia should be prepared to "fish the bodies out of the water".

"They're good people, they're generous people, but they are naive people," the architect of Operation Sovereign Borders said. "I would invite those people to do what the Royal Australian Navy has been doing for years and that is fishing the children's bodies out of the water."

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Do you think Labor will ever, ever, ever wind back metadata laws, etc. I don't agree with it but the surveillance state isn't going away and there's a practical workaround to the poo poo they are or plan to pull off. What am I missing here?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Why the gently caress is everyone in this loving country so evil to refugees? It’s disgusting!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Get hosed LNP

Get hosed Labor

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

it's true and goongrats on having the worst writing style in the world

"I may be an enormous pedant but don't you dare use different text effects for emphasis!"

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

why did you put quotation marks around a true statement

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

Why the gently caress is everyone in this loving country so evil to refugees? It’s disgusting!

because we are a petty trash nation filled with garbage people, with media & corporate interests controlling the narrative of everything

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

because we are a petty trash nation filled with garbage people, with media & corporate interests controlling the narrative of everything

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

GoldStandardConure posted:

But we’re not! I’m an American expat. We have great healthcare, great labor laws, a high minimum wage, a decent welfare system, fair elections where everyone votes, gun control, legalized prostitution, etc. I’m at a low point and there’s like 6 agencies taking care of me, free of charge!

We just have this weird blind spot where we really loving hate refugees. And Africans. And African-Americans. And think blackface is okay.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Ambassador for Refugees & Displaced Persons, Scott Morrison

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Count Chocula posted:

But we’re not! I’m an American expat. We have great healthcare, great labor laws, a high minimum wage, a decent welfare system, fair elections where everyone votes, gun control, legalized prostitution, etc. I’m at a low point and there’s like 6 agencies taking care of me, free of charge!

We just have this weird blind spot where we really loving hate refugees. And Africans. And African-Americans. And think blackface is okay.

Just because america is garbager doesn't make us not garbage.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If you want some of the names to the young fash in the nationals

https://thewhiterosesociety.writeas.com/

Clifford Jennings; Nicholas Walker (AKA ‘Niklaus Velker’); Oscar Tuckfield (AKA ‘Oscar Tuckers’ & ‘Oscar Tucker’); Stuart Churchill (AKA ‘Stuart Durand’); Thomas Brasher (AKA ‘Thomas Hopper’), Justin Beulah; Lisa Sandford.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

we have all that and more, then we see people worse off than us and we hate them and have to hurt them because we are a petty trash nation full of garbage people

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

Coalition conservatives led by former prime minister Tony Abbott are pushing back against moves to bring refugee children and their families from Nauru to Australia, as views soften in the government about getting minors off the island.

Mr Abbott warned taking the remaining 50 children off Nauru would signal to asylum seekers that they could get to Australia if they just brought minors with them.

"If we give them what they want, we will get more of them - that's to say, the boats will start up again," he told 2GB radio on Monday.

"Of course 'kids off Nauru' is a great slogan, but it's a dreadful guide for policy because if we aren't allowed to have kids on Nauru, [asylum seekers will believe] just bring some kids with you and you automatically get to Australia."

Mr Abbott disputed the evidence given by doctors who have returned from the island - including the charity Doctors Without Borders - that the health and mental wellbeing of children and families on Nauru was at a crisis point.

He cited the presence of 65 health professionals on the island to cater for about 650 men, women and children.

"They are being very well looked after on Nauru," Mr Abbott told 2GB.

"Health services on Nauru for boat people are much more extensive than the health services that a lot of regional towns get here in Australia."

"And Nauru is no hell hole by any means. If you like living in the tropics, it's a very, very pleasant island."

LNP senator James McGrath tweeted in support of strong border protection on Monday and added: "You never hear the left mourning those who drowned at sea do you? Sanctimonious hypocrites."

Another Liberal MP told Fairfax Media: "It would be extraordinarily foolish for anybody in our party to want to dilute the signature achievement of this government, which is restoring integrity to our borders.

"Caving in to the radical left on this issue will embolden the people smugglers to fill their boats with children."

Liberal senator Jim Molan, also speaking to 2GB, said people who advocated bringing children and their families from Nauru to Australia should be prepared to "fish the bodies out of the water".

"They're good people, they're generous people, but they are naive people," the architect of Operation Sovereign Borders said. "I would invite those people to do what the Royal Australian Navy has been doing for years and that is fishing the children's bodies out of the water."

Mengele probably maintained a pretty good doctor to non-person ratio too

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mengele probably maintained a pretty good doctor to non-person ratio too

Pretty sure prisons have a pretty good doctor to prisoner ratio too

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Frogfingers posted:

Yep, a VPN is a necessary tool

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

Tony Abbott says Nauru 'pleasant' and has better healthcare than many Australian towns

Former prime minister tells voters not to throw out Liberal MPs in favour of independents who are ‘to the left of Labor’

All in favour of sending Tony Abbott to Nauru say aye.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

We have great healthcare,

I have cystic fibrosis, and a few years ago I had a double lung transplant. My health care my entire life has been free (or in the case of drugs, very cheap due to the PBS etc). I have also worked my entire life, even when I had about 20% lung capacity and had to take an oxygen cylinder to work, because the disability pension is gently caress all and me & my partner would not have been able to survive on it (if I could have claimed it at all, as my partner makes too much money for me to get a full payment, and they don't make a huge amount of money working in retail).

The narrative that is conatantly trotted out by all my family, and about 95% of people I meet is "isn't it so good that you work and aren't a drain on the system, like all those other bludgers who just want to get a pension and do nothing!" rather than "hey it sucks that you had to worl even when very sick because our welfare system is poo poo".

petty. trash. people.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anyone who says "well, they get more doctors than regional towns" and doesn't immediately go "woah, that's hosed up for our regional towns" is a psychopath, no lie

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Anyone who says "well, they get more doctors than regional towns" and doesn't immediately go "woah, that's hosed up for our regional towns" is a psychopath, no lie

Just a reminder that Tony was health minister for 4 years.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

Opinion: Facts of the Nauru asylum-seeker debate

Pezzullo is not some Coalition stooge. He worked for former Labor foreign minister Gareth Evans. He was also deputy chief of staff to then Labor opposition leader Kim Beazley.

... but here is Pezzullo’s recent evidence, noting it is an offence to mislead.

quote:

Management of conflict of interest
The Sydney Morning Herald reported that early in 2014 Pezzullo's brother, Fabio, escaped a criminal conviction after he confessed to lying to an inquiry investigating corruption at Sydney airport.

Fabio Pezzullo, a former Customs officer, was fined and placed on a two-year good behaviour bond for perjuring himself before a corruption watchdog. The 42-year-old was charged after an investigation over allegations he sold prescription drugs to fellow Sydney Airport Customs officers and lied to the Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity. The commission was investigating several of his colleagues for drug importation and bribery. Despite being told verbally and in writing not to tell anyone of the summons, Fabio Pezzullo told his flatmate, a former Customs officer. Fabio Pezzullo's sentencing took place in June 2014.

While the case was underway Michael Pezzullo was fulfilling senior executive roles in Customs and Border Protection, but had disclosed the conflict to his Minister from the outset. In a note to staff regarding the case he was reported to have said: "from the outset, I asked and expected to be treated as a detached family member with no official rights, interests or powers in the matter." The communique also details the processes that were implemented to manage any real or perceived conflict of interest relating to the case.

'not a stooge'

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Just a reminder that Tony was health minister for 4 years.

I'm sure he thought of himself only as "Minister for blocking RU486" for those four years

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

Shorten was never a member of the CFMEU/CFMMEU.

I wonder if the News Corpse media would be saying the same thing if Shorten was a member of the SDA.

This is the most depressing thing in my life. You have a rally with like 20% construction and maritime marchers while the rest are women, white collar and service workers and they don't even get a mention even though the CFMMEU doesn't address the rally or do much other than march with their flags.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
My “leftie” office worker colleagues are really disappointed in me for vocally supporting the CFMMEU and Dan Andrews for marching with them

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

My “leftie” office worker colleagues are really disappointed in me for vocally supporting the CFMMEU and Dan Andrews for marching with them

Leftie = socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Everything after that is anarcho-syndicalist-turbo-Maoism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Tony Abbott is a very, very pleasant man

• Locked thread