Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

Ok I'm almost done with my SBR reread and it's more amazing with my remember but I hope someone can explain this to me and it's not just a thing that makes no sense:

Johnny's final test for Valentine is asking him to pick up the revolver that a different universe's Valentine used to kill Gyro. The fact that this Valentine has that revolver on his person is the proof that he was planning to double-cross Johnny. But since it's a different universe's Valentine, why would he not have that pistol in the first place? I feel like there's something I'm missing.

if valentine WASN'T an rear end in a top hat he would've set aside that revolver or done anything except try to shoot johnny with it, which confirmed that he was totally going to do that anyway if johnny let him go

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder if DavidPro can angle Diavolo into more than an absolute wet fart of a Final Boss.

diavolo's problem is that they build him up too much and when we finally see him he's kinda just Some rear end in a top hat who shows up and shits on everyone then leaves

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
People say Valentine Did Nothing Wrong but he did plan to murder a depressed handicap teenager rather than follow up on his end of the bargain to make him happy which would could have been done at the snap of his fingers

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Johnny's arc of overcoming his self loathing, that Valentine is truly right and good and just because after all, Valentines father loved his son and Valentine loved his dad, if Johnny was a good personn his father would have loved him right? and remembering his time and lessons from Gyro that gave him self worth and truly learning to walk on his own is one of my favorite character arcs in manga and makes Part 7 weirdly one of the best young adult stories ontop of being just great manga

Johnny is the best JoJo and if you put Joseph over him, we could not be more different people

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

over my time on the internet i've generally found that people who unironically go '___ did nothing wrong' probably have really stunted critical thinking skills

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think anyone that says a character did nothing wrong ever actually mean it

Especially not Valentine. He was kind of blatantly a bad guy and I can't really see him as anything other than a self-important prick that wanted power all to himself.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm assuming that girl in the pictures on jotaro's study that was sneakily added in the anime is Jolyne

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To me, the scene where Johnny and Gyro are attacking Valentine and their attacks keep getting redirected to other countries where people just keep dying for no reason completely unpreventably is one of the most horrifying moments of the series and really cements that Valentine's whole idea is toxic. gently caress that dude.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

over my time on the internet i've generally found that people who unironically go '___ did nothing wrong' probably have really stunted critical thinking skills
It's literally just a meme. No one says it sincerely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TheLoneStar posted:

there absolutely are people who do, trust me

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I feel like you could easily write an essay about how Valentine wanting to redirect "bad luck" onto other countries is basically nationalism and imperialism at work, and with a specifically American flavor at that, but that's pretty much the...text. Like this was written during the GWB era and Johnny uses the word "terrorists" a lot. Valentine's trying to use the desiccated corpse of Jesus Christ to become the Number One Dictator in all the land. Araki was never subtle.

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah. Everyone does that for DIO too, but then sometimes you get the crit of "wow, Valentine was just doing what was best for the country" and uhhhnmmm, Yikes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Pretty much the literal Virgin Mary calls the dude out as being basically Satan. That's gotta count for something.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm assuming that girl in the pictures on jotaro's study that was sneakily added in the anime is Jolyne

I didn’t notice this. Do you have a picture?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I love that Valentine can't even not be a total racist and complain about how he can't let some Savage on the other side of the world have the corpse in his long speech that convinced a bunch of people in real life that he was the good guy. In other words, he's the best written US President character ever

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I didn’t notice this. Do you have a picture?

kinda looks older than she should be though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Could be the wife.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It...kind of looks like Yukako? No idea why she'd be there but...

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

kinda looks older than she should be though

I think that's his Conspiracy Board for how to track down Giorno so that's Giorno's mom iirc. I remember getting a better look at it in an earlier episode.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeahs thats probably it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Valentine is an absolutely terrible person and Johnny was only tempted to trust him because Valentine preyed upon Johnny’s self-loathing

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

BaDandy posted:

I think that's his Conspiracy Board for how to track down Giorno so that's Giorno's mom iirc. I remember getting a better look at it in an earlier episode.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lol like jotaro would have any mementos of his wife and child sullying his Sacred Dolphin Space

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I wonder why and when Josuke visited, and what made him so mad he punched that globe.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

diavolo's problem is that they build him up too much and when we finally see him he's kinda just Some rear end in a top hat who shows up and shits on everyone then leaves

He also gets totally upstaged by his own meeker split personality. Usually with that character trope it’s the opposite!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
When Tamami steals Koichi's money and just leaves the stubs why doesn't Josuke just fix the money to get it back?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RatHat posted:

When Tamami steals Koichi's money and just leaves the stubs why doesn't Josuke just fix the money to get it back?

either

a: nobody thought of it at the time or

b: because shut up

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 29, 2018

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

RatHat posted:

When Josuke is running from Highway Star and has to find a new phone he decides to use another one instead of fixing the one he's holding. Josuke is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Momomo posted:

When Josuke is running from Highway Star and has to find a new phone he decides to use another one instead of fixing the one he's holding. Josuke is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Well there was an important reason for that, they had to extend the gag of him interrupting important phone calls

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Easy, his Stand doesn't work on money or phones.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Meme Emulator posted:

Well there was an important reason for that, they had to extend the gag of him interrupting important phone calls

They've good gags

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is there a single pairing of character name to Stand name more powerful than Vanilla Ice and Cream

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is there a single pairing of character name to Stand name more powerful than Vanilla Ice and Cream

Kenny G with his Tenore Sax

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Weather Report and Weather Report

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Weather Report and Weather Report

my favorite thing in stone ocean is when they say he doesn't remember his name so people just refer to him by his stand's name. but in the flashback before he ever got his stand or lost his memory he still is like "people call me 'weather report', well bye"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi my name is Wes but you can call me Weather Report.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Weather is a really good nickname imo, wish that was my nickname

And Heavy Weather Warning is one of my fav chapter titles along with Break My Heart, Break Your Heart

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's a shame most chapter titles now are just the name of the featured stand.

My favourite is still "Yoshikage Kira Wants A Quiet Life"

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
"What A Wonderful World", obviously

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Bucciarati is Coming

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My Dad Is Not My Dad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I appreciate High Voltage because it uses that structure to trick you into thinking he's gonna fight a Stand called High Voltage but nope.