Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rumda posted:

You'll probably not be first but definitely up against the wall in that first week

If by that you mean "in one of the middle rows in the revolutionary death coaster."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he's just a standard gen x centrist nerd, nothing to see here

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

aardwolf posted:

I'm really good at saying "he's just a quiet, harmless fellow" with a straight face so please don't liquidate or reduce me :(

P.S my brother works with Goodwill and can help you dispose of all those tiny shoes

I imagine some sort of revolution is inevitable but I suspect I would probably be zapped or splatted with all the other rich people* fairly early on. Given that it is inevitable, I see no sense in harbouring any romantic notions about it, and instead amuse myself by speculating how it could be handled most efficiently.

* By global standards.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The revolution will happen, and then it will descend into the same backbiting and settling accounts and dictatorship and corruption as every single other time the revolution happens.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Byzantine posted:

The revolution will happen, and then it will descend into the same backbiting and settling accounts and dictatorship and corruption as every single other time the revolution happens.

That didn’t happen in the United States?

Wait corruption poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't being broken on a wheel* a common execution method before the guillotine?

*They break your arms and legs in several places and then thread them through the spokes of a wheel and raise that wheel on a pole where you spend the next few hours or days dying from shock as the crows eat your flesh. If you're lucky they smash your head in first so you're probably not conscious for the really nasty part.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not unless they were making an example of you no.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the more gruesome types of execution like that were generally saved for heinous crimes like treason or the equivalent. Even then, particularly for the noble class, it would often be commuted to just being beheaded. Actual drawing and quartering, breaking on the wheel type punishments were by far the exception rather than the rule.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Victorians in particular like to invent fictional medieval execution and torture devices, then show them off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine some sort of revolution is inevitable but I suspect I would probably be zapped or splatted with all the other rich people* fairly early on. Given that it is inevitable, I see no sense in harbouring any romantic notions about it, and instead amuse myself by speculating how it could be handled most efficiently.

* By global standards.

This guy gets it. He’ll be seated at the back of the revolutionary death coaster, the funnest seat.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Byzantine posted:

god forbid the us become a corrupted dictatorship run by backbiting morons

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Victorians in particular like to invent fictional medieval execution and torture devices, then show them off.

This seems to have lead to a lot of confusion and disappointment but also some funny Vincent Price type movie props so eh

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

aardwolf posted:

P.S my brother works with Goodwill and can help you dispose of all those tiny shoes

...never worn

:cry:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mister Mind posted:

...never worn

:cry:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't being broken on a wheel* a common execution method before the guillotine?

*They break your arms and legs in several places and then thread them through the spokes of a wheel and raise that wheel on a pole where you spend the next few hours or days dying from shock as the crows eat your flesh. If you're lucky they smash your head in first so you're probably not conscious for the really nasty part.
Yeah, that was the kind of thing Guillotin was trying to get away from. The loving neoliberal pig.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That didn’t happen in the United States?

Wait corruption poo poo.
The American Revolution did not fundamentally alter the social order in the North American colonies, and had (for instance) the New-Englanders called for the abolition of slavery in anything other than the most generic distant terms, the South would have absolutely gone Loyalist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tunicate posted:

The Victorians were a reeaaal hosed up bunch by all accounts.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol someone is insanely mad, some leftist on twitter make fun of you or something

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You have certainly owned all the 18th-century revolutionaries posting here, as well as the modern people who genuinely believe that mass guillotine executions are imminent.

Rumda posted:

You'll probably not be first but definitely up against the wall in that first week

hawowanlawow posted:

he's just a standard gen x centrist nerd, nothing to see here

turn on your monitors. :wave:

The September Massacres in 1792 (a year before the Reign of Terror) also mainly killed, wait for it, wait for it, common criminals, prostitutes and thieves, who had the misfortune of being in jail when a enemy army was marching towards Paris, the justification being that their lack of moral virtue would make them likely to work for the counter-revolutionaries, and that the public believed they were just waiting for a chance to break out from the prisons to attack the "good citizenry." Of the 1,400 or so executed, 230-some were clergy, around 100 were Swiss mercenaries who were waiting to be deported IIRC, several dozen children, and perhaps 250 nobles at the upper extent, including that one woman in the pike comic by Kate Beaton.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Then maybe they shouldn't have been so oppressive if they didn't want a bloody revolution.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Or been better at it. Or had more circuses. You have to be missing on all cylinders

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Then maybe they shouldn't have been so oppressive if they didn't want a bloody revolution.

No no, this was the Paris Commune and the National Guard (plus some mobs) doing the killings. The Ancien Regime had ceased to exist in 1789, and Louis XVI had mostly been relegated to a figurehead with some marginal powers. And in mid-1791 he'd attempted to flee the country but was recaptured and placed under house arrest, shortly after which the monarchy was abolished entirely. He wouldn't be executed until several months later in early 1793.

The "reign of terror" was, to use a more modern/relatable analogy, Stalin going after the Old Bolsheviks and the military purges in the 30s. But because so much was going on in the French Revolution, years of stuff gets condensed down to Food Shortages > Bastille > Reign of Terror > Napoleon > Victor Hugo, and you miss out on all the interesting stuff like how one of the figureheads of the early revolution (the comte de Mirabeau) secretly working as a consultant for the king (he died of natural causes and was buried a national hero) or that when the Bastille was stormed it only housed a few criminals, a couple mentally disturbed people, and a nobleman who'd apparently been accused of incest and arrested as part of a conspiracy by his family to steal his property and money.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Meanwhile, Charles de Talleyrand managed to stay on as foreign minister all the way through the Revolution, the Directorate, Napoleon, the Restoration, and the 1830 Revolution. Dude had an insane talent for switching sides just at the right time to end up on the winning side.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kinda reminds me of Adolf Heusinger, a German career soldier who served in the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany, West Germany and even had a stint as chairman of the NATO military committee in the early 60s, although I guess he didn’t so much switch sides as make himself indispensable instead.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

C.M. Kruger posted:

No no, this was the Paris Commune and the National Guard (plus some mobs) doing the killings. The Ancien Regime had ceased to exist in 1789, and Louis XVI had mostly been relegated to a figurehead with some marginal powers. And in mid-1791 he'd attempted to flee the country but was recaptured and placed under house arrest, shortly after which the monarchy was abolished entirely. He wouldn't be executed until several months later in early 1793.

The "reign of terror" was, to use a more modern/relatable analogy, Stalin going after the Old Bolsheviks and the military purges in the 30s. But because so much was going on in the French Revolution, years of stuff gets condensed down to Food Shortages > Bastille > Reign of Terror > Napoleon > Victor Hugo, and you miss out on all the interesting stuff like how one of the figureheads of the early revolution (the comte de Mirabeau) secretly working as a consultant for the king (he died of natural causes and was buried a national hero) or that when the Bastille was stormed it only housed a few criminals, a couple mentally disturbed people, and a nobleman who'd apparently been accused of incest and arrested as part of a conspiracy by his family to steal his property and money.

Apparently the average height of those who stormed the Bastille was only around five foot. Malnutrition is a hell of a thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

All this discussion does is proves just how great the French Revolution was.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Also those Swiss guard were the remainder of a force of five hundred that had fought a fairly bloody battle with the revolutionary national guardsmen, they were probably boned no matter what

The French Revolution was extremely good and the various excesses of the terror seem like they were typically in response to perceived real existential threats by the mob or were, like killing the king, borderline necessary

I've been listening to Mike Duncan's Revolutions on the Revolution and while I think his historiography is pretty Liberal in a bad way he gets the details right

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Frog Act posted:

Also those Swiss guard were the remainder of a force of five hundred that had fought a fairly bloody battle with the revolutionary national guardsmen, they were probably boned no matter what

The French Revolution was extremely good and the various excesses of the terror seem like they were typically in response to perceived real existential threats by the mob or were, like killing the king, borderline necessary

I've been listening to Mike Duncan's Revolutions on the Revolution and while I think his historiography is pretty Liberal in a bad way he gets the details right

What makes you say his historiography is Liberal in a bad way? I'm no historian so I would like to hear why you think so.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I remember when he was talking about Frances attempt to go more free market approach to selling bread. he said that it failed because of bad timing that a famine happened at around the time the policy was introduced which is a weird opinion as time really wouldn’t have changed much.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Victorians were a reeaaal hosed up bunch by all accounts.

When you surpress sexual urges I guess it has to come out somewhere.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

VanSandman posted:

What makes you say his historiography is Liberal in a bad way? I'm no historian so I would like to hear why you think so.

I'm not really a historian but I did do my master's in history which involved some historiography classes, which often emphasize being aware of the degree to which you reify or perpetuate social discourses when you report on even ostensibly objective historical narratives. Like another poster alluded to, he has a tendency in revolutions to essentially accept socioeconomic truisms emanating from late-19th and 20th century interpretations of the French revolution as something that went off the rails when its Liberal ethos embodied by noble reformers like Lafayette was overtaken by the Paris communes and their implementation of a more "radical" agenda. This manifests itself in a few ways, mostly things like unsophisticated acceptance of things like intentionality or possible economic consequences of market reform - bread is a good example. He talks about the notion that lifting price controls on bread would have the effect of leveling the market and thus making it more affordable even though the country was in the midst of a crisis that diminished the harvest and drove the price of grain up considerably, and so even within the context of price controls the average Parisian was spending the majority of their wages on just bread, the most basic staple. He acknowledges that, but always qualifies the poo poo out of it by treating the Parisian commune as a baying mob unable to take a macroscopic view like the enlightenment nobles.

He also really downplays the basic brutality of the ancien regime while taking time to emphasize the (admittedly accurate) brutality of the revolutionary cadres. The ancien regime was unbelievably cruel and absurd, but he glosses over the context that produced the radical reformers and instead focuses on the intellectual mileu that created the philosophes and other enlightenment thinkers. I specifically studied them a lot for my thesis in intellectual history and while I'm a big fan, actually, of Hume and Rousseau at one point he talks about how Hume was his favorite social thinker because bland Liberal positivism is more likely to effect change then revolution, which I felt was really bizarre coming from a guy doing a podcast on the most significant revolution in history.

I could go on but basically he is so immersed in a relatively orthodox Liberal historiographic discourse that it comes out unconsciously (and sometimes explicitly) in his interpretations of subjective events. A Marxist doing the same podcast would cover the exact same events, even with similar intepretations, but with a critical acknowledgement of detail and subtlety I think Duncan sometimes misses. That all being said he's clearly not into political philosophy so much as he's into teaching history so its sort of understandable but in many ways I think he just has a somewhat unsophisticated perspective

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Frog Act posted:

I think he just has a somewhat unsophisticated perspective

This is probably true, and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Duncan's simple and easy-to-digest approach to relating the history is what drew me in and kept me paying attention. It got me interested in the French Revolution at all. If he had talked about it on the academic level that you studied it, I probably would've tuned out early because the French Revolution was a giant black hole of ignorance for me and that poo poo would've gone straight over my head.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Frog Act posted:

[...] being aware of the degree to which you reify or perpetuate social discourses when you report on even ostensibly objective historical narratives. [...]

No offense, but I'll stick with Mike Duncan, thanks very much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

I don’t think anyone was saying you shouldn’t? Just be aware of his biases. He doesn’t give you actively wrong info just know what he says is not objective truth. Mike has flaws that does not make him unlistenable.

In conclusion don’t be so defensive.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I don't wanna trash Duncan cus he's ultimately a very good explainer, better than many other popular historians, articulate, succinct, and mostly accurate but it's good to be aware of where the historical narrative he's relating comes from, because it certainly reflects his predisposition towards the enlightenment and it's exponents but I think he might deny that

Either way I still recommend it to people all the time because my little quibbles with his narrative crafting having certain historiographic issues is meaningless compared to the utility of having interesting non insane, non fascist popular history

Ed: more concretely when I say historigraphic stuff I don't just mean weird rhetorical postmodern nuance. A good example is "what caused the Pueblo revolt of 1680", a great book that relays exactly the same objective narrative from three perspectives surrounding a native revolt against Spanish rule. It's written for a popular audience if you want to find it online

Less for a popular audience but one of the most important academic works in interpretative historiographic analysis is History in Three Keys, which uses three separate discourses to outline three academically distinct methods of interpreting the Boxer rebellion. It is a life-changingly well-written book and if you only read one history book a year (or decade), read History in Three Keys

https://www.amazon.com/History-Three-Keys-Boxers-Experience/dp/0231106513

Frog Act has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Oct 30, 2018

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
to be fair Duncan is radicalizing him self slow over the course of revolutions just look at the essay from last week compared to the actual coverage of events of the end of the porfiriato

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Lafayette should have taken the military dictatorship when they offered it to him.

e: as long as the king still died

Grem has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Oct 31, 2018

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Rumda posted:

to be fair Duncan is radicalizing him self slow over the course of revolutions just look at the essay from last week compared to the actual coverage of events of the end of the porfiriato

The only proper conclusion to the podcast would be for Mike Duncan to overthrow a government during a live episode

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zopotantor posted:

If you're concerned that those terms will give you the skeleton warriors:

We have a loose cultural discourse here on SA about goons being awful but goon groups in video games being astonishing and cool (even if in some games the goon guild is actually mediocre at best). This gets reified (or made from abstract to concrete) by people founding goon groups or creating Discords for new games that come out, and perpetuated when people bitch about loving pubbies, or indeed refer to each other as goons.

Similarly, many somewhat-older people have reflex hate of "those loving goons" from antics undertaken fifteen years ago, or in EVE, and extend this to the goon group in other games, even when no actual trolling, raiding or whatever occurs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

CommunityEdition posted:

The only proper conclusion to the podcast would be for Mike Duncan to overthrow a government during a live episode

Don't spoil the ending!!!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CommunityEdition posted:

Really you think a guy versed in Roman and revolutionary history, currently in self imposed exile in France may lead a revolution. Who ever would link those trait together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sigh