Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

ewe2 posted:

All in favour of sending Tony Abbott to the guillotine say aye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

Tony Abbott is a very, very pleasant man

for me to poop on

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh boy Australian preppers.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/29/end-game-how-australian-preppers-are-bugging-out-and-hunkering-down

quote:

Mel calls herself a “latte prepper” because if she is going down, it will be in style and may include chocolate. Her business Chilli Preppers has been going for about five years and she runs courses including food cultivation and preservation, and doomsday prepping.

quote:

Take Jim Greer, an IT worker from Rockingham, Western Australia, who expects the world to fall apart sometime soon. He is not sure exactly when but he has an eight-tonne truck ready to go at a moment’s notice.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

If they spent as much time getting involved politically as they did prepping they probably wouldn't need to prep.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
https://twitter.com/nicheholas/status/1056781789455245312?s=20

It’s paywalled so I can’t read it, but WTF? I thought the Telegraph would be whitewashing this scumbag.

See? Even Australia’s Murdoch rag isn’t all bad.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

He's not even a preacher, he's just a radio shock jock

Actually, let's stick with preacher otherwise he may get a job on 2GB

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bourke Street accused James Gargasoulas has been found fit to stand trial for murder.

Mr Gargasoulas, 28, faces six counts of murder and 28 charges of attempted murder over the events of January 20 last year, when a car hit dozens of pedestrians in central Melbourne.

His lawyers last week urged a Supreme Court jury that he was unfit to stand trial because his paranoid schizophrenia and delusions meant he could not enter a plea, understand the evidence against him or properly instruct his lawyers.

But that jury on Monday found Mr Gargasoulas was fit to stand trial on the criminal charges, after deliberating for just over three hours.

The trial on the murder and attempted murder charges could start, before another jury, as early as next week.

Mr Gargasoulas, dressed in a grey windcheater and black pants, nodded as the jury foreman announced the verdict.
Monday’s decision comes after an earlier jury was unable to reach a verdict on whether the accused man was fit to stand trial, after deliberating over five days in June.

The second fitness to plea hearing was told Mr Gargasoulas believed he was the Messiah and that a comet would strike Earth if he had to stand trial for murder, and two psychiatrists – one a defence witness and one for the prosecution – both assessed him as being unfit.

Defence counsel Theo Alexander argued Mr Gargasoulas didn’t meet three of the required elements for standing a criminal trial: that he couldn’t enter a plea, couldn’t understand evidence against him and couldn’t properly instruct his lawyers.

The Director of Public Prosecutions, Kerri Judd, QC, said there was no dispute Mr Gargasoulas was schizophrenic and had delusions, but said he was able to ‘‘turn down the volume’’ on those beliefs and could redirect his delusions.

A third expert witness, a psychologist, assessed the accused man as being fit to stand trial.

Ms Judd told the jury last week that phone calls Mr Gargasoulas made from prison showed he was capable of rational thought.
In those phone calls, he spoke of a desire to be held at the Thomas Embling mental health hospital rather than jail, and of being released early if he was found not guilty by way of mental impairment.

Ms Judd said it was possible for someone to be delusional and stand trial and told the jury that the accused man was aware of the plea options available and their potential consequences.

"Just because someone holds deep delusional beliefs and expresses delusional beliefs, does not mean they cannot function in a meaningful way. It does not mean that are not fit for trial," she said.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
He’s a gang leader/cult leader. Fun Proud Boys facts: they don’t masturbate and they got their name from a cut song in the Aladdin musical.
Hopefully Antifa will give Gavin the welcome he deserves.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

bell jar posted:

Ambassador for Refugees & Displaced Persons, Scott Morrison Fraser Anning

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
ScoMo on the news: I’ll be going to Warnambool to The Big Cheese!

Person off-camera: Cheese World.

ScoMo: The Cheese World.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

sounds like a poo poo version of the guy that runs Primitive Technology youtube channel

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

bandaid.friend posted:

Tony Abbott is a very, very pleasant man

And the Liberal Party is a very fine institution.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm a prepper

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Chances are, by now, your country has some, if not all, of the following. First off, you probably have some kind of local internet troll problem, like the MAGAsphere in the US, the Netto-uyoku in Japan, Fujitrolls in Peru, or AK-trolls in Turkey. Your trolls will probably have been radicalized online via some kind of community for young men like Gamergate, Jeuxvideo.com ("videogames.com") in France, ForoCoches ("Cars Forum") in Spain, Ilbe Storehouse in South Korea, 2chan in Japan, or banter Facebook pages in the UK.

Then far-right influencers start appearing, aided by algorithms recommending content that increases user watch time. They will use Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to transmit and amplify content and organize harassment and intimidation campaigns. If these influencers become sophisticated enough, they will try to organize protests or rallies. The mini fascist comic cons they organize will be livestreamed and operate as an augmented reality game for the people watching at home. Violence and doxxing will follow them.

Some of these trolls and influencers will create more sophisticated far-right groups within the larger movement, like the Proud Boys, Generation Identity, or Movimento Brasil Livre. Or some will reinvigorate older, more established far-right or nationalist institutions like the Nordic Resistance Movement, the Football Lads Alliance, United Patriots Front, or PEGIDA.

While a far-right community is building in your country, a fake news blitz is usually raging online. It could be a rumor-based culture of misinformation, like the localized hoaxes that circulate in countries like India, Myanmar, or Brazil. Or it could be the more traditional “fake news” or hyperpartisan propaganda we see in predominantly English-speaking countries like the US, Australia, or the UK.

Typically, large right-wing news channels or conservative tabloids will then take these stories going viral on Facebook and repackage them for older, mainstream audiences. Depending on your country’s media landscape, the far-right trolls and influencers may try to hijack this social-media-to-newspaper-to-television pipeline. Which then creates more content to screenshot, meme, and share. It’s a feedback loop.

Populist leaders and the legions of influencers riding their wave know they can create filter bubbles inside of platforms like Facebook or YouTube that promise a safer time, one that never existed in the first place, before the protests, the violence, the cascading crises, and endless news cycles. Donald Trump wants to Make American Great Again; Bolsonaro wants to bring back Brazil’s military dictatorship; Shinzo Abe wants to recapture Japan’s imperial past; Germany’s AFD performed the best with older East German voters longing for the days of authoritarianism. All of these leaders promise to close borders, to make things safe. Which will, of course, usually exacerbate the problems they’re promising to disappear. Another feedback loop.

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1056677302959030272

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

I feel sad, today

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think Australians are too lazy to elect a far far right rear end in a top hat. Alot of these countries have big rear end loving riots the day after an election or even the day before an election. Australia is too hung over the day after to get angry enough to be radicalised to the extent other countries voting population has.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

He’s a gang leader/cult leader. Fun Proud Boys facts: they don’t masturbate and they got their name from a cut song in the Aladdin musical.
Hopefully Antifa will give Gavin the welcome he deserves.

Are they the ones that don't wipe their asses because that would be gay?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Snowman_McK posted:

I don’t know about that, but their leader once stuck a dildo up his rear end on his pundit show to protest against Islam and another time presented his rear end in a top hat to the camera goatse style.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a joke.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a joke.

You should read the r/relationships thread in GBS because you are missing out

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Australia is about to elect a center left government. We got our far right chickenpox out of the way with Tony Abbott.

Don't be too shocked if there is a massive slide to the left politically over the next few years. Brexit will fail, Trump may go to prison, and Duterte is my hot tip for dying in office.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Trump’s probably going to win the midterms and 2020 if the Democrats don’t get their act together. Brazil just elected a fascist. Labor is the same as the Liberals politically. We’re hosed.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Labor is not the same as the Liberals politically. What an outrageously lazy statement to make after the last five years we've had. After the insane levels of corruption, wastefulness, cruelty and economic incompetence we have seen during that time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think the simple fact that we have mandatory voting helps prevent any sort of far right radical government getting in.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hiddenmovement posted:

Don't be too shocked if there is a massive slide to the left politically over the next few years. Brexit will fail, Trump may go to prison, and Duterte is my hot tip for dying in office.
We can only hope. I'm currently seeing the world slide into fascism and nobody gives a poo poo because the news cycle moves too quickly.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

AgentF posted:

Labor is not the same as the Liberals politically. What an outrageously lazy statement to make after the last five years we've had. After the insane levels of corruption, wastefulness, cruelty and economic incompetence we have seen during that time.

What alternatives do they offer? They torture refugees. They take money from the gambling lobby. They continue the drug war. It’s the same reason Hillary lost - the centre left party didn’t offer a real alternative.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

Labor is the same as the Liberals politically. We’re hosed.
Not really.

hidys
May 6, 2015

Anidav posted:

I think Australians are too lazy to elect a far far right rear end in a top hat. Alot of these countries have big rear end loving riots the day after an election or even the day before an election. Australia is too hung over the day after to get angry enough to be radicalised to the extent other countries voting population has.

I disagree.

I think Australia has been very lucky that a charismatic extremist has yet to emerge. Thankfully Australians expect some degree of intelligence in its leaders but one who could harness the discontent in this country might have a lot of success.

I admit that an intelligent-sounding far-right rear end in a top hat is going to be hard to find in this country.

We are all very fortunate that Pauline Hanson has no charisma and is dumb as dogshit.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Count Chocula posted:

What alternatives do they offer? They torture refugees. They take money from the gambling lobby. They continue the drug war. It’s the same reason Hillary lost - the centre left party didn’t offer a real alternative.

You are not as informed about Australian politics as you think you are if you can make this statement with a straight face. Do Labor do lovely things? Sure. Does that therefore make them exactly the same as the Libs? Not even close.

I'm not particularly interested in having the debate in full but Hillary lost for many reasons, not just the Dems not being left enough.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Count Chocula posted:

The danger of climate change needs a party that can support drastic change to society. The Alp needs to be pushed a long way still.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Dems can flip the House in the midterms. They have some fundamental issues to resolve but the popular support is there at the moment (and could evaporate if they do they resolve those issues).

bell jar posted:

You should read the r/relationships thread in GBS because you are missing out

I know it happens for some of them but it's not an organisational thing in the same way that loving cereals is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The ALP have a proud history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but they seem to have learned at least for to stick with someone who seems to work.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I think the simple fact that we have mandatory voting helps prevent any sort of far right radical government getting in.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Whoopsy, double post.

Count Chocula posted:

Most Australians care about those things, sure, but they're not high compared to "what's going to happen to my job", "what kind of schools are my kids going to go to" and "do I feel safe".
Hillary lost because Trump sold a narrative of US economic recovery in sectors it began abandoning in the 80s to a bunch of loving morons in swing states, while Hillary failed to provide a compelling narrative to bring her voters out beyond "you probably shouldn't let Trump win". As time has shown, she was right and he was lying, but that's all hindsight.

*A lot of this is hearsay and assumption, I am not an expert in either field.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Trump may go to prison,

yeah, nah.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Schlesische posted:

Hillary lost because Trump sold a narrative of US economic recovery in sectors it began abandoning in the 80s to a bunch of loving morons in swing states, while Hillary failed to provide a compelling narrative to bring her voters out beyond "you probably shouldn't let Trump win". As time has shown, she was right and he was lying, but that's all hindsight.

Also the GOP has spent decades demonising Clinton and given how close it was a near-identical establishment Dem with a different name would probably have won.

And then just like Clinton they would have been impeached.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The US isn't a democracy though. It's a constitutional Republic

hidys
May 6, 2015

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1056847871675252736?s=21

I hope Turnbull continues to undermine the government.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In fact I would argue by modern standards anything different to Australia's system is an out of date democracy. First past the post, gerrymandering ect. Are all problems Australia has mostly avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hidys posted:

I hope Turnbull continues to undermine the government.

I suspect you will be a happy goon.

• Locked thread