Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Graham is good. The episode was my least favourite so far for reasons others have already stated. Apart from plot stuff, I really could have done without the Trump namedrop, but otherwise I would have assumed JR was literally the Trump analogue in-universe which would probably have annoyed me far more. TARDIS interior seems nicer, but I don't think I like the decorations on the central console. Also, not exactly a stunning insight but I wonder if they made the police box space behind the doors actually exist (instead of going straight to the console room) just to save money on SFX on shots of the TARDIS exterior.

I imagine they'll handle it more tactfully when it does come up again, but I keep expecting Ryan's dyspraxia to be a bigger plot point, e.g. in this episode when he's capturing the small spider or running away from the huge one, or last week when he was holding/using the time gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

All the doctors had some degree of “violence bad” as part of their message, but Thirteen may end up taking it so far it no longer ends up coming of as positive. Should we also have a beef with exterminators taking out cockroaches, or invent ethical bug zappers?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah massacring the Racnoss was specifically presented as Going Too Far and the reason Donna gave for joining Ten was to stop him from doing it again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I had a lot of fun watching this episode (even if I had to look away/try to listen to something else at a few moments, and I'm not even arachnophobic), but I think the thing I'm most excited about after it is that Yaz got a lot more to play with. There's still some noticeable gaps in her story, and things that don't sit quite right, but I feel like we've left the phase where the gaps are a disappointment and entered the phase where they're an opportunity.

You can do something with Yaz being a police officer that never actually calls on that fact; personally, I think it's that she's too new to it to be confident in doing so, but there could be more external reasons. And there's definitely something about her loneliness that's planned and just not in play yet, there's just potential for a lot of things with it. I'm in a weird spot on that one, where I don't think it's LGBTI-related, but I actually can't think of reasons that aren't LGBTI-related.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's right... Yaz's mum!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Chris Noth seemed like he was having so much fun in the role. He was a joy to watch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I did just remember that, after this week's setup, we really do need to have Ed Sheeran in a cameo appearance as himself. And the Doctor recognizing him for just long enough to wish him luck on his Presidential run.

EDIT: Alternative, Ed Sheeran does cameo, but he's actually playing the President.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 29, 2018

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

With "guns are bad" coming up almost every episode (or is it every episode?) I bet the Doctor will be forced to shoot someone in the season finale. Bonus points if it's not-Trump.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Very good episode. Bradley Walsh just absolute killing it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I had to giggle at the idea that Robertson was only running because he hates Trump. It was slightly more subtle than having Noth hold up a big sign saying "I AM A BIT LIKE TRUMP BUT NOT HIM REALLY"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ooh, I know her!

Plavski posted:

Very good episode. Bradley Walsh just absolute killing it.

Seriously, he's been absolutely amazing so far. I mean, I thought he would be, but not THIS good!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I had to giggle at the idea that Robertson was only running because he hates Trump. It was slightly more subtle than having Noth hold up a big sign saying "I AM A BIT LIKE TRUMP BUT NOT HIM REALLY"

I asume this is why Thirteen won’t be pulling a Harriet against him - she’s be helping Trump get re-elected.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

but I feel like we've left the phase where the gaps are a disappointment and entered the phase where they're an opportunity.

This is a great way of putting it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Future-President-Bigley is going to be a recurring character. It's not HIS fault that XXXX caused YYYY and lead to ZZZ amount of deaths. Every single time. Also, he gets the camera footage of him shooting a 15 foot spider and goes on to win in a landslide. And he keeps having bodyguards called Kevin die around him.

I am disappointed Ryan didn't ask if he could get Spiderman powers by getting bitten by one. And what The Doctor would have said in return.

Yaz's Mom character whose name I can't spell will come back and it's a running gag that no one else pronounces her name correctly. Someone, this ends up saving the planet.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 29, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chris Noth blustering a lot as not-Trump was fun, and it's pretty funny the spider menace was created by a bunch of evil garbage and a laboratory. The science behind it sounded silly, but I like the idea that the real villain was a corporation that cut corners to make quarteky profits. Sometimes the commentary was a little on the nose even for Doctor Who ("Why can't you just pick up a gun and shoot them like civilized people"), but that's forgivable.

I like Yaz's family. Her overzealous dad wanting to show off his terrible cooking was great.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

I quite like the implication that he didn't give a poo poo about the presidency until some other billionaire got it and then he wouldn't rest until he got a go too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
As a lady who likes the ladies, the whole "are you two seeing each other?" "I don't think so… are we?" scene is the useless lesbian representation we need. :3:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 29, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arachnids in the UK gifs:

Man, I'm so glad Doctor Who is back.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 30, 2018

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gluten Freeman posted:

I liked this episode up until the point where it just gave up on wrapping up the story and just moved on to the next thing. It was very anticlimactic.

This has been Chibnall's thing so far. I feel like it's his biggest weakness and we may be able to start the drinking game rules.

Anytime someone or something "escaped somehow" take a drink.

Other than the spiders there was one other instance of this again. When Graham and Ryan grab the spider in the pan, they look over, we see a shot of very fast spiders coming at them, reverse shot of Graham bumbling around and then cut to a different scene... They escaped somehow...

Damnit Chris, my brain needs an actual shot of them leaving and getting away with the spiders in frame because in my brain those spiders were way too fast for them just to stroll the gently caress out of there.

It also makes the show feel cheap like in the first episode where the Doc jumps from one crane to another. We probably should have had this amazing wide shot of the doctor in the air between the two cranes. Instead we got the doctor up close jumping and landing framed like it was a daytime soap opera. I really want them to step up their storyboarding game.

That's my only complaint really. The other stuff was fine. Not amazing, but it was fine. I'm liking Team Tardis a lot better and now that they want to actually go. It feels like the show is finally starting.

I want an episode to wow me now. We established the tone, the companions, the Doctor; it's now time to show off those writing chops.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 29, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Other than the spiders there was one other instance of this again. When Graham and Ryan grab the spider in the pan, they look over, we see a shot of very fast spiders coming at them, reverse shot of Graham bumbling around and then cut to a different scene... They escaped somehow...

Damnit Chris, my brain needs an actual shot of them leaving and getting away because in my brain those spiders were way too fast for them just to stroll the gently caress out of there.

You seemed to have missed the shot of Graham and Ryan running full tilt away from the spiders. They certainly didn't "stroll"

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

You seemed to have missed the shot of Graham and Ryan running full tilt away from the spiders. They certainly didn't "stroll"
Ha! I knew someone would try and defend that shot. I edited what I wrote above to explain it better. Also I didn't say they strolled so you don't need the quote there.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If my wife is terrified of spiders would she be able to watch this episode? I don't want to spoil myself, we like watching together. But she saw the title and was very wary.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

apophenium posted:

If my wife is terrified of spiders would she be able to watch this episode? I don't want to spoil myself, we like watching together. But she saw the title and was very wary.

No. They do some spider horror stuff like giant spiders, dragging people away, death in spider silk, suffocating...

I'd say this is a huge pass for someone with a spider issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Ha! I knew someone would try and defend that shot. I edited what I wrote above to explain it better. Also I didn't say they strolled so you don't need the quote there.

You literally did say "the spiders were way too fast for them just to stroll the gently caress out of there"

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

You literally did say "the spiders were way too fast for them just to stroll the gently caress out of there"

Ha so I did, but you do understand that wasn't the point right? Like some where in there you do understand what I was saying about the missing shot? There was no combined escape. You literally could have a shot where the three stooges bounce into each other there instead because it would make the same amount of sense without an actual escape shot. How did they get away? Did they run into a close by stair case? Did they bolt into an elevator? I mean they are in a hotel hallway. I have to assume an elderly man out ran those spiders... But that's an assumption!

Why did the evil time traveller shoot 50 feet to the left and hit the camera last week when the doctor ran stage right? We don't need to defend bad directing or bad storyboarding.

There is a LOT to like about this season so far, but to me this has been a legit issue. I don't like "I escaped somehow" moments. Leave that stuff to Thumb Wars.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 29, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not really. The show literally shows us "them getting away". They don't sit there and say "oh no what do we do?", they aren't "bumbling around". They see the spiders, and they run like hell.

There's no missing shot in that scene unless you missed the shot yourself coming to complain online about them not strolling fast enough.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Not really. The show literally shows us "them getting away". They don't sit there and say "oh no what do we do?", they aren't "bumbling around". They see the spiders, and they run like hell.

There's no missing shot in that scene unless you missed the shot yourself coming to complain online about them not strolling fast enough.

It's ok if you dont understand what I'm saying, but you are knee jerk defending it without reason.

jivjov posted:

I guess we are seeing two different things. I see a shot of an elderly man bumbling to his feet and he starts running... That's it! Where did he run to? How did they get away? Literally a shot of them out pacing the spiders would be good enough. I'm glad it works for YOU, but to ME that feels like a cheap out.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 29, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Derrick Sherwin passed away, leaving Phillip Hinchcliffe as the sole surviving producer of the Classic Who series.

Rhianne Starbuck, in addition to having the most awesome name ever, has been cast as Sharon, in BF's Fourth Doctor: The Comic Strips Adventures.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

apophenium posted:

As a phobic since the early 90s, this was creepier than past Doctor Who spiders, but not the most horrifying poo poo I’ve ever seen. I got through it by looking at my phone extensively. I think the worst thing is that one scene is patently designed to scare kids away from bathtubs.

I don’t know if video game parallels do anything for you, but I was reminded of older Resident Evil at a lot of points. That or the 3D Zelda games. I wasn’t as freaked out as Bloodborne or Limbo.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TinTower posted:

As a lady who likes the ladies, the whole "are you two seeing each other?" "I don't think so… are we?" scene is the useless lesbian representation we need. :3:
word

apophenium posted:

I am moderately arachnophobic and I was able to get through the episode fine but I had to take 2 breaks, the spider gfx are surprisingly good

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This has been Chibnall's thing so far. I feel like it's his biggest weakness and we may be able to start the drinking game rules.
I feel like if Chibnall could write a coherent ending and commit to coherent characterization he'd be considered an all-time great Who writer

he has good ideas he just... never does anything with them

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I guess we are seeing two different things. I see a shot of an elderly man bumbling to his feet and he starts running... That's it! Where did he run to? How did they get away? Literally a shot of them out pacing the spiders would be good enough. I'm glad it works for YOU, but to ME that feels like a cheap out.
I hear you, I thought it was pretty goofy too in the moment. Like... spiders are fast. A fat old man and a guy who can't ride a bike aren't going to be able to outrun a horde of mutant spiders without some sort of clever trickeration, and it felt like they just cut that scene out or something

But there's so much dumb bullshit in every DW episode that it barely registered

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I was meh about the episode as a whole (haaaaate spiders so that didn't help) but I am loving 13's thing about just deciding on what she's gonna call people and sticking with it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Doctor "There are living breathing organisms out there, and we're going to treat them with dignity"

Also The Doctor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QiR684csQA

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As it turns out, the Doctor is kind of a psycho. Hope she doesn’t come across any more cavemen to try and brain with a rock.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Literally a shot of them out pacing the spiders would be good enough.

Good thing this exact shot exists in the episode. Graham (and Ryan, you seem hell bent on pretending Graham is the only one in the scene) run away from the spiders, faster than the spiders are coming at them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Infinitum posted:

The Doctor "There are living breathing organisms out there, and we're going to treat them with dignity"

Also The Doctor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QiR684csQA

Also the Doctor, standing by!

...wait, that's a different scene.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

It also seems very in character for the Doctor. It's something you could see Matt Smith saying.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I want an episode to wow me now. We established the tone, the companions, the Doctor; it's now time to show off those writing chops.

The good news is that there are some interesting and different writers working on the show. I have felt less like the threats were terrifying in the way some of the creations of the Moffat era were, and that they tend to cut out some of the corridor running and closing doors just in time that gives a sense of urgency, but I think some things that make it work out alright are:

1) the threats to humanity are more mundane than hyper-killing machines. They're things like white supremacists who got access to technology, corporations out to cut corners, and millionaire tyrants.
2) We get to spend a little more time watching the companions work on their mundane lives with each other (and with their families, I'm sure Ryan's Dad will be back). This was the first episode where I felt that dividing them up felt a little forced, but that's actually really something, four episodes in.

It would be nice if we could get something between "Well, the rest of it worked itself out, trust us," (is the millionaire really going to stop cutting corners? Do the big spiders just... live in the safe room now?) and the "And here's the magic pseudoscientific explanation of how we solved everything to triumphant Murray Gold music, everybody lives!!" There's over-explaining and there's under-showing.

Really liking the show overall, though. Team TARDIS is cool, Thirteen has a weird mix of Ten's charm and Eleven's doofyness. The scene where she kind of hung around, all hang-dog, until she gleefully accepted the tea invitation, then excitedly asked if the others were coming, is a breath of fresh air from all the "Don't be domestic, I don't do dinners" stuff.

I wonder how many of the companions will stick around for the next season?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I loved that bit where they were in the lab and talking about spider communication and Ryan was in the background making shadow spiders.

Also I love that the Doc can talk to spiders.

And I love how much Sheffield they crammed into that episode.

and the sonic pose

Whittaker is amazing

and I can't believe this show made me weepy about spiders

also bradley walsh has been an amazing surprise

this series has been wonderful so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's probably too early to be thinking about the future but add me as a person who thinks something is going to happen to Graham by the end of the season, either death or he doesn't remain as a companion.