Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Gobbeldygook posted:

No, neither of those are the names of Gen.G players and I doubt they would have played anywhere near enough games to be GM on NA.

Oh okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
https://twitter.com/RichHots/status/1055847886045487104?s=19

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SirSamVimes posted:

good matchmaking
As long as there's no limit on what ranks can group together all the matchmaker can do is average their MMR. You were lucky it found another master/silver group to match them against.

They'll probably add a limit when they inevitably combine HL and TL though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sindai posted:

As long as there's no limit on what ranks can group together all the matchmaker can do is average their MMR. You were lucky it found another master/silver group to match them against.

They'll probably add a limit when they inevitably combine HL and TL though.

it didn't, it found a diamond/silver

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Toady posted:

That argument is about shopping choices and the anxiety of missed opportunities, so I don't think it applies in the hypothetical situation because the heroes would be free and already owned by you. If anything, the paradox should present itself in the current model because you have to choose which heroes to purchase from an ever-growing roster.

Right but when you have a small number of options that rotate, it eases the player into just picking from the available options. By the time you've earned enough gold to buy a hero you probably have played one that you want to buy, and by the time you hit a free rotation where you already own all the heroes, you probably have enough experience with the game to feel comfortable making an informed decision on what to buy next.

It was much better for me than when I logged into DotA 2 and had 900 heroes to pick from and had no idea what was good or bad. Spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out who to play as a starter and ended up being so overwhelmed by the crap I was reading I just ended up playing something else.

hots was the first moba I really groked and the way heroes are slowly introduced was a big part of why I got into it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay then add an option at the start where you can pick 'grind a lot' or 'no grind'

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Dietrich posted:

Right but when you have a small number of options that rotate, it eases the player into just picking from the available options. By the time you've earned enough gold to buy a hero you probably have played one that you want to buy, and by the time you hit a free rotation where you already own all the heroes, you probably have enough experience with the game to feel comfortable making an informed decision on what to buy next.

It was much better for me than when I logged into DotA 2 and had 900 heroes to pick from and had no idea what was good or bad. Spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out who to play as a starter and ended up being so overwhelmed by the crap I was reading I just ended up playing something else.

hots was the first moba I really groked and the way heroes are slowly introduced was a big part of why I got into it.
Or you could just do what DOTA actually does, and gives you a suggested list of 10-15 'easy' Heroes to start with, whilst still letting you pick everything. It does that right now, has done for years, and doesn't disingenuously portray a monetisation strategy as a new player mechanic.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

kaesarsosei posted:

I see Varian is 50% in Gems this week. He always seems OP to me (when on opposing teams). Is it a good idea to spend gems on heroes? And is Varian worth it?

Edit: Actually I have 960 gems - a 1 month stimpack is 1000. Is there a way aside from IRL money to get 40 gems? That seems a better use for them.

He's not bad. He gets a lot of hate because of people picking twin blades at 4 instead of taunt when he's the only possible tank on the team, but as far as utility goes he's mid-tier; he is fun to play.

Twin-blades basically makes him a beefy huntless Illidan - he can put out obscene amounts of damage and is one of the best siegers in the game because of that. Taunt is a great peeling tool (or kill confirmation), and colossus smash gives him a strong engage that also bursts for gobs of damage.

Basically:
Taunt: tank
Colossus Smash: bruiser
Twin Blades: melee assassin.

His waveclear is not good and he lacks a reliable escape (you can talent into targeting friendly units with a charge, but that's it). There are more optimal heroes for all three roles, and he doesn't really get an ult at 10 like most heroes, so he doesn't see much action at the higher levels, but for most of us he's perfectly fine. He's got a self-heal, but it's marginal unless you get like 3 enemy heroes in a line when you cast it.

Just don't be the rear end in a top hat that takes twin blades (or even csmash) when your team lacks a tank and has heroes that need peel. In QM particularly the game counts him as a warrior in matchmaking, so if you don't take taunt at 4 your team will probably not have a very useful front line.

I don't regret buying him at all.

e: probably the most fun I had with him was in a game with a Genji. I'd charge in and start swinging away while Genji AA'ed, then when a target got low Genji would zip in and help me finish it, then we'd move to the next target and repeat. He's beefy enough even with tb that I was basically enabling the Genji to do Genji things while I was already the focus of attention. And things died fast. If we got focused really hard we could both block all incoming damage for long enough to back off or get healed (or kill the focuser).

It's worth noting that he's really bad until lvl 4. Like, really bad.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 29, 2018

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I thought of TB as more bruisery than Smash, between the regen at 7 getting boosted by the attack speed increase, and Smash's health decrease.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah TB is actually really hard to kill because of the self sustain. colossus can get brought down relatively easily, but TB needs to be instapopped

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Blizzcon "leaks"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

lucifirius posted:

Blizzcon "leaks"

:zenpop:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I've been playing a lot of Mephisto. Like a loooooot of Mephisto. And I just wanted to take a timeout to say Durance is actually pretty decent now. Half the games I take it though I still get people going "wtf wrong ult" "why didn't you take the good ult."

So here's the deal, when Mephisto was released, Durance was an 80s cooldown, 2s root that barely did any damage, had a short range, and was easy to dodge. You got 20% spellpower at Level 1 to use with Consume, it slowed by 40% and if it got interrupted then you just try again later.

Now, you only get 15% spellpower, slow by 25%. and if you get so much as sneezed on while trying to use Consume full 120s cooldown. That means if you get stunned, silenced, booped, grenaded, ANYTHING, you have to wait 2 minutes to try again. Also if you die while casting it.

Meanwhile, Durance now roots for 2.5s, goes 25% farther, shoots 25% faster, does double the damage, and only has a 60s cooldown.

Literally every game you play will have at least 2-3 people that can block consume entirely. Like let's say the enemy team is Medivh, Genji, Muradin, Whitemane, Alorak. So you're in the middle of fighting them, get some people low, and go to activate consume. Whups, whitemane pops 40% armor for everyone, Medivh shields, Genji blocks it himself, and Alorak ults. 120s cooldown. Or, medivh polybombs you and 120s cooldown. Or Muradin stuns you and 120s cooldown. Or Alorak swipes you 120s cooldown. So you spend the whole game trying to bait out Genji's block, and waiting for Medivh to shield cooldown, and whitemane ult to be down, and your super sick ult gets used like twice in the entire game and maybe does nothing.

Or... you just drop a Durance into every single fight for the rest of the game and go to town with lightning and skull missiles.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lucifirius posted:

Blizzcon "leaks"

Even if it turns out fake, at least it means people are getting better at reigning in their "leak" fanfics because I'm not spotting anything that flagrantly gives it away this time.

Although "Classic WoW will be subscription-based" is hilariously bad if they don't mean "Included with a normal subscription" because drat.

Also stop adding Oberwatch characters.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 29, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There is no way they are ever doing clans or guilds. It is a feature 98% of the player base never touches.

I'm also skeptical that HS would ever do another pirate expansion.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

But zink of ze GLORY, my friend!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

No Wave posted:

There is no way they are ever doing clans or guilds. It is a feature 98% of the player base never touches.

I mean they just recently did all the Blizzard Communities™ stuff and I'm pretty sure they've talked about this sort of thing for other games before too, I could see it happening pretty easy.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

No Wave posted:

Although that doesn't stop people from being extremely vocal about wanting some feature until it eventually gets put in even if they never actually use it

People were really vocal about wanting voice chat but now that its in almost nobody uses it (im glad its in because its great in ranked when people actually join it)

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Yardbomb posted:

Counterpoint: Add more overwatch characters. Add all the overwatch characters.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They need to Reinhardt just so there will be a Reinhardt announcer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

No Wave posted:

Blizzard literally already directly stated they’re doing Clans soooo

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Clans were announced back in blizzcon 2016, lol

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Dietrich posted:

Counterpoint: Add more overwatch characters. Add all the overwatch characters.

Add the cool hamster guy and remove all overwatch assassins from the game tia

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Eraflure posted:

Add the cool hamster guy and remove all overwatch assassins from the game tia

This'd be cool too, most of the problem characters are just stupid assassins who break the mobility scale every other character is playing by.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Ana and Zarya are the only good OW characters so far in this game and coincidentally they are the only two without a single mobility skill

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Add Mei so I can give Genji and tracer mains something to complain about

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

More info on how to obtain fancy horsegoat mount tomorrow plz

TalonDemonKing posted:

Add Mei so I can give Genji and tracer mains something to complain about

*bodyblocks teammates with her iceblock*
*walls off teammates completely with icewall*

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 29, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mierenneuker posted:

More info on how to obtain fancy horsegoat mount tomorrow plz

*bodyblocks teammates with her iceblock*
*walls off teammates completely with icewall*

We already have Nazzy Bo for that

I got killed 3x one game because Nazzy caught me in the zombies and didn't know he could cancel it (or how to, or something, he didn't cancel it). Sucks vs. Chromie and/or Jaina.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

*Pulls off Mei's mask*

"It was Old Man Nazeebo all along!"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yardbomb posted:

Even if it turns out fake, at least it means people are getting better at reigning in their "leak" fanfics because I'm not spotting anything that flagrantly gives it away this time.

Although "Classic WoW will be subscription-based" is hilariously bad if they don't mean "Included with a normal subscription" because drat.

it mentions story mode for overwatch, it's 100% fake

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

is HoTS still without a team lead?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

it mentions story mode for overwatch, it's 100% fake

I mean I can see that happening, one of the worst parts about the game's development anyway was that it got turned from what was gonna be an RPG into what it is, I would've preferred story.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I have an easier time believing some of the cynical takes in that leak. Like, Overwatch story mode being in loot boxes is either real or some master class cynicism about Blizzard, but the one thing that sort of makes me disbelief this list of leaks is them bringing back hero bundles.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I mean, bar none the most obvious lie is there being any SC2 content.

No Wave posted:

What do you mean another?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The obvious lie is that the SC2 content is about Zeratul and not Selendis. The War Chest skins have been getting repurposed into new Co-Op Commander content (Han/Horner use the Mad Max Terrans, Dehaka uses the Primal Zerg, ect), so what the gently caress would Zeratul be doing with "Golden Age" Daelaam poo poo?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

HitTheTargets posted:

I mean, bar none the most obvious lie is there being any SC2 content.

What do you mean another?
One of msog's major themes was pirates (one of the corners of the msog game board is pirate themed). Patches is one of the most reviled cards in HS history so it seems doubtful they'd try to get people excited about pirates.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

is HoTS still without a team lead?

We're they ever? I know there was a goodbye post on the Blizz forums a week or so ago supposedly from a higher up for HotS, but it was an account with no other posts and was taken down in short order.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
lol if Blizzard goes to Blizzcon with literally no info for WoW

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

No Wave posted:

Mean Streets of Gadgetzan was a gangster expansion, not a pirate expansion. Pirates did rule the metagame with an iron fist for a while there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

We're they ever? I know there was a goodbye post on the Blizz forums a week or so ago supposedly from a higher up for HotS, but it was an account with no other posts and was taken down in short order.

Here's a thread from that guy.

Blizzard material he ain't.