Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Network42 posted:

The official one looks smooth, but it looks like my only option is to buy a ton of books or microtransactions?
During 4e I'd subscribe for a month every so often to dick around with the character creator, but that was probably $40 total. Under 5e it seems like that only gets me the PHB options? Am I missing something or is the official character builder very expensive these days?

I use the official one: D&D Beyond. It is smooth. PHB and Xanathar’s is all you need as a player. It’s about the same price as the hardbacks but there are often coupon codes (I would search for them, reddit is probably your best bet there). I didn’t go the micro transactions route, I just bought the digital books outright (25% off with coupon codes) so I could browse as well. It was $45 for both books after the discount. You don’t need a subscription unless you want to make a bunch of characters without deleting your old ones.

nelson fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nelson posted:

but there are often coupon codes (I would search for them, reddit is probably your best bet there).
"highrolling" is still working, it's a 25% coupon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ceros_X posted:

Weird question, but what are some of the most M.A.D. build/character concepts out there?

Rolled stats for a backup character and wound up with a crazy good result (18, 17, 16, 16, 15, 13) and it would obviously be good for any character - but I'd like to play something that usually gets shot down because there are too many stat requirements. I.e. like a dex barb or gish or something.
I'm annoyed because even with standard human + fighter you're still 5 shy of hitting 20s in everything.

Play a barbarian completely straight. By level 12 you'll actually be using all you class features!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Network42 posted:

What character builder do people use? I'm probably never going to play a game of 5e, but I wouldn't mind dicking around making a few characters.
The official one looks smooth, but it looks like my only option is to buy a ton of books or microtransactions?
During 4e I'd subscribe for a month every so often to dick around with the character creator, but that was probably $40 total. Under 5e it seems like that only gets me the PHB options? Am I missing something or is the official character builder very expensive these days?

Orcpub is pretty great. Point and click. You can add in options from most books too, i think.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ceros_X posted:

Weird question, but what are some of the most M.A.D. build/character concepts out there?

Rolled stats for a backup character and wound up with a crazy good result (18, 17, 16, 16, 15, 13) and it would obviously be good for any character - but I'd like to play something that usually gets shot down because there are too many stat requirements. I.e. like a dex barb or gish or something.

A Paladin/Barbarian is a potentially powerful combo that is really MAD, requiring high STR, DEX, CON, and CHA to really shine. With your stats you could do it. You can smite and use the Paladin's channel divinity while raging for fantastic damage and utility in combat, AND the defensive bonuses of both classes stack so you will be taking half damage thanks to Rage while gaining a boost to all your saves (including Relentless Rage) thanks to Aura of Protection.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Could go for a Dex Sorcadin. Go half elf, start with 20 Cha, 18 Dex, 17 Con, 16 Wis, 15 Str, 13 Int. Get Warcaster, Resilient (Con), +2 Dex with your feats. Go Paladin 2 (with protection fighting style) > Dragon Sorcerer 18. Rapier, Leather Armor, Shield, Longbow for backup attacks. Can even grab Stealth unlike most Paladins, along with Perception you'll be a decent scout. Can grab the usual Athletics, maybe Acrobatics and a face skill if you want to talk.
Go for Resilient or Warcaster first depending on how your GM is with somatic components - RAW you can't cast Sorcerer spells with a 1h+shield but a lot of people ignore that. I'd say Warcaster>Resilient>Dex if your GM is going RAW, otherwise Resilient>Warcaster/Dex.
What does this give you?
- 20 AC, or 21 AC when you get +2 Dex, with no magic items, which is equivalent to Plate - except you also have Shield and Absorb Elements, making you ridiculously tanky.
- 18 Con + Dragon Sorcerer gives you pretty good HP, probably on par with any other frontliners.
- Proficiency in the 2 most dangerous saving throws, virtual immunity to concentration checks, and +4 in the other most common save.
- GFB compensates for Extra Attack. At 8 you'll be doing 2d8+9 and 1d8+5 to another target, which is superior to most other melee classes if you have 2 targets. Booming Blade covers fire immune enemies for only a small damage loss, and combos nicely with Warcaster. So even when out of spell slots you'll be pumping out consistent damage.
- Insane nova damage from Quicken + high level Smite.
- All the usual fun and utility of a full caster, and while your spell progression is delayed by 2 levels, spell slots are only delayed by 1 thanks to the paladin levels.

A lot of this can be done with your generic Str Sorcadin, but Dex Sorcadin is really hard to do normally from being so MAD.

Razakai fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 28, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Razakai posted:

Could go for a Dex Sorcadin. Go half elf, start with 20 Cha, 18 Dex, 17 Con, 16 Wis, 15 Str, 13 Int. Get Warcaster, Resilient (Con), +2 Dex with your feats. Go Paladin 2 (with protection fighting style) > Dragon Sorcerer 18. Rapier, Leather Armor, Shield, Longbow for backup attacks. Can even grab Stealth unlike most Paladins, along with Perception you'll be a decent scout. Can grab the usual Athletics, maybe Acrobatics and a face skill if you want to talk.
Go for Resilient or Warcaster first depending on how your GM is with somatic components - RAW you can't cast Sorcerer spells with a 1h+shield but a lot of people ignore that. I'd say Warcaster>Resilient>Dex if your GM is going RAW, otherwise Resilient>Warcaster/Dex.
What does this give you?
- 20 AC, or 21 AC when you get +2 Dex, with no magic items, which is equivalent to Plate - except you also have Shield and Absorb Elements, making you ridiculously tanky.
- 18 Con + Dragon Sorcerer gives you pretty good HP, probably on par with any other frontliners.
- Proficiency in the 2 most dangerous saving throws, virtual immunity to concentration checks, and +4 in the other most common save.
- GFB compensates for Extra Attack. At 8 you'll be doing 2d8+9 and 1d8+5 to another target, which is superior to most other melee classes if you have 2 targets. Booming Blade covers fire immune enemies for only a small damage loss, and combos nicely with Warcaster. So even when out of spell slots you'll be pumping out consistent damage.
- Insane nova damage from Quicken + high level Smite.
- All the usual fun and utility of a full caster, and while your spell progression is delayed by 2 levels, spell slots are only delayed by 1 thanks to the paladin levels.

A lot of this can be done with your generic Str Sorcadin, but Dex Sorcadin is really hard to do normally from being so MAD.

I second DEX Sorcadin, Draconic (Fire) Bloodline, since you want those Elemental Affinity buffs for Green-Flame Blade, Fire Bolt, and Fireball.

Protection Fighting Style is garbage, though, and Defense is redundant when going DEX + Draconic Resilience (built-in equivalent to Studded Leather +1), therefore Dueling is the way to go.

First level in Sorcerer for the automatic Constitution proficiency, pick War Caster at level 6 (Paladin 2 + Sorc 4), DEX 20 at level 10, and that's build complete.

In addition to Shield and Absorb Elements, you can pick up Protection from Evil, Blur and later Greater Invisibility to take care of all your defensive needs.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Playing a variant human Barbarian in a game with Sentinel as my starting feat and looking ahead to 3rd level: Path of the Ancestral Guardian looks pretty thematically appropriate for my character and seems nifty on the surface but I've read mixed reviews on effectiveness plus I know Totem Warrior is probably one of the strongest paths for a martial character to take overall.

Am I shooting myself in the foot if I go Ancestral Guardian or is it still a reasonable choice?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

KingKalamari posted:

Playing a variant human Barbarian in a game with Sentinel as my starting feat and looking ahead to 3rd level: Path of the Ancestral Guardian looks pretty thematically appropriate for my character and seems nifty on the surface but I've read mixed reviews on effectiveness plus I know Totem Warrior is probably one of the strongest paths for a martial character to take overall.

Am I shooting myself in the foot if I go Ancestral Guardian or is it still a reasonable choice?

If you've got melee buddies you are looking to protect it's great. If you don't, it isn't great.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

KingKalamari posted:

Sentinel is going to compete with your level 6 ability as AG.

If you want to play the Protector role, Cavalier Fighter does it much better, both in effectiveness and with far more interesting mechanics involved.

Despite not seeming so at first glance due to how frontloaded it is, Barbarian is itself a subpar class and I think it's not worth at all playing outside of GWM Bear/Zealot or support Wolf.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Network42 posted:

What character builder do people use? I'm probably never going to play a game of 5e, but I wouldn't mind dicking around making a few characters.

The More Purple More Better pdf is really slick and free. It takes a minute to setup, but then you can just save the blank one and you're good to go until the next book comes out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mpmb/comments/965yoz/find_content_here_scripts_to_import_into_mpmbs/

You can pick and choose what materials to add, so if you're playing Adventurer's League you can just pick core and your +1, if you're playing no UA you can pull all of those out, or you can go hog wild. It's got a bunch of 3rd party support as well.

It admittedly takes FOREVER to generate a spellsheet with the right stats, but it does most of the math for you and lets you manually add in weird feat/item bonuses as needed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Network42 posted:

In 4th ed I'd HATE to be without a character builder for as much as I love that game.

But in 5th ed, paying for character builders always feels to me like "I want to pay for something to sort my spells". Even with stuff like Xanathars and a UA PDF telling a friend everything they need to know about what a Dragon Sorc gets vs a Divine Sorc gets takes about five minutes.

Then again I've played with people who didn't want to level up a Champion Fighter by hand because "It takes too long, I'm burnt out on chargen", but would be happy to spend five hours looking through every single option in their :filez: 4th ed character builders because "It's so much faster with a builder!".

So I've got some really bad examples to skew my mindset about "How much do you NEED a builder in 5th ed vs 4th ed?" in my life. But no denying a builder always makes things faster.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 28, 2018

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Conspiratiorist posted:

I second DEX Sorcadin, Draconic (Fire) Bloodline, since you want those Elemental Affinity buffs for Green-Flame Blade, Fire Bolt, and Fireball.

Protection Fighting Style is garbage, though, and Defense is redundant when going DEX + Draconic Resilience (built-in equivalent to Studded Leather +1), therefore Dueling is the way to go.

First level in Sorcerer for the automatic Constitution proficiency, pick War Caster at level 6 (Paladin 2 + Sorc 4), DEX 20 at level 10, and that's build complete.

In addition to Shield and Absorb Elements, you can pick up Protection from Evil, Blur and later Greater Invisibility to take care of all your defensive needs.

Oops - I meant Defense fighting style. Though I still think it's slightly better than Dueling. As you don't ever get Extra Attack, it's a flat +2 damage per turn at best - not a whole lot when a standard GFB+level 1 Smite at 5 would be doing 4d8+5 with 1d8+5 cleave. 1 AC is small, but I'd say that you're more likely to find a situation where you save a bit of HP by having an attack miss you by 1 than having +2 damage actually kill something faster and not just be overkill.

I prefer the Paladin opener as you get to start with Shield and Martial Weapons. Without those it's quite difficult to get proficiency in martial weapons and shields without burning a valuable feat or losing some racial bonuses. Wisdom proficiency isn't quite as good as Con, but it lets you have a nice round Con score when combined with Resilient and Wisdom saves are really nasty to get hit with.

Another item to consider is the Ruby of the War Mage. This lets you use a weapon as a spellcasting focus, which gets rid of a lot of the annoyances of not having Warcaster early on. Again, subject to DM approval though.

Razakai fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 28, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So are there any good fan-made Dark Sun or Planescape setting conversions/guides? Those are two of my favorite DnD settings and when I search for conversions I either get nothing or get a bunch of conversions that are all totally distinct from one another.

Another question I had was whether Fey or Hexblade was better for bladelocks. Hexblades seem custom designed to be bladelocks but the Fey warlocks get some sweet teleport abilities.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Network42 posted:

I’ve used Fight Club 5e for all my AL character sheets because some of my older ones were getting beat up. It comes with the SRD stuff and there are XML files for everything else on Twitter of all places.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Razakai posted:

Oops - I meant Defense fighting style. Though I still think it's slightly better than Dueling. As you don't ever get Extra Attack, it's a flat +2 damage per turn at best - not a whole lot when a standard GFB+level 1 Smite at 5 would be doing 4d8+5 with 1d8+5 cleave. 1 AC is small, but I'd say that you're more likely to find a situation where you save a bit of HP by having an attack miss you by 1 than having +2 damage actually kill something faster and not just be overkill.

I prefer the Paladin opener as you get to start with Shield and Martial Weapons. Without those it's quite difficult to get proficiency in martial weapons and shields without burning a valuable feat or losing some racial bonuses. Wisdom proficiency isn't quite as good as Con, but it lets you have a nice round Con score when combined with Resilient and Wisdom saves are really nasty to get hit with.

Another item to consider is the Ruby of the War Mage. This lets you use a weapon as a spellcasting focus, which gets rid of a lot of the annoyances of not having Warcaster early on. Again, subject to DM approval though.

Defense only works while wearing armor - my point is that unless you find Studded Leather +1 or wear Full Plate (which you can with 15 STR, but kinda defeats the point of going DEX Sorcadin) Defense FS won't function at all. Having a non-functioning feature is disheartening even if you could argue it being superior in the long run. Additionally, Dueling does proc on Quicken/Twin scagtrip casts, and you're not going to always be smiting, so it's not a meaningless bump either. For reference, I would recommend Defense on a plate Sorcadin.

Paladin gives you weapon, shield, and armor proficiencies (except Heavy) no matter when you multiclass into it. You can thus start Sorcerer for automatic Constitution proficiency (and immediately qualify for War Caster in the case of Variant Human over Half-Elf), then take your two Paladin levels, and back to Sorcerer the rest of the way. *IF* you intend to wear Heavy Armor then yes, you need to start with Paladin. Again, this is another of the advantages of going DEX Sorcadin - no need to spend a further feat to get your essentials.

Ruby of the War Mage doesn't let you cast pure S (without M component) spells like Shield while your hands are busy. You need War Caster for that still if normal hand economy rules are enforced.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I was checking out the new dragonmarks in the Unearthed Arcana, and for Mark of Storms it says that you can use your intuition dice on "Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. What precisely would this mean? Would this include DEX saves? Any kind if acrobatics or DEX check? Or just acrobatics?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Just acrobatics skill checks, not saves.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Kaysette posted:

Just acrobatics skill checks, not saves.

Got it. What if the DM asks for a DEX check for an action? I suppose I could ask if I can make it acrobatics, but it seems like it would apply there as well.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Got it. What if the DM asks for a DEX check for an action? I suppose I could ask if I can make it acrobatics, but it seems like it would apply there as well.
They should already be distinguishing between a general dex check and a dex (acrobatics) check so that anyone with proficiency knows whether to apply their proficiency bonus. I'd just confirm with your DM that they'll always indicate what type a check is if there's an applicable type so you don't need to ask for clarification every time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if "ability checks" are still a thing in this edition, and it's unclear if this would still apply if the DM decides to apply the variant rule that decouples ability scores from skills.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
The DM in this case is very new to DMing, so we will see. Thanks for the help!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know if "ability checks" are still a thing in this edition, and it's unclear if this would still apply if the DM decides to apply the variant rule that decouples ability scores from skills.

Ability checks are most certainly a thing, and a skill check is merely an ability check for which you are able to add your proficiency bonus (if applicable) in a particular skill.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So my Gobbo Vengeance Paladin is rocking some fine stuff now.

Flame Tongue Scimitar got turned into a more customized weapon. Longsword, but has the light and finesse property still. Does 2d6 Force damage instead of Fire.
+1 Studded Leather, a Sentinel Shield and Cloak of Elvenkind which are both +1 all bringing me to 22 AC. Despite my AC I'm still very much akin to a Rogue, and the +1 Shortbow I've got lets me do some considerable ranged damage if necessary. Having advantage on my stealth checks, enemies getting disadvantage on finding me(speaking of, how does Blindsight work with Hiding?), getting advantage on my perception checks and more importantly my initiative from the shield.

Even at my current level, which is Level 6, I've been able to see how powerful my burst can be. 1d8(or 1d10)+2d6+1d6 from Hunter's Mark all before I even think about smiting.

Trying to decide on whether I still want to go full Paladin, or dip into Rogue or possibly another option. I'm not sure what the 'break-point' might be when dipping would be good. For the Rogue option I was leaning towards Swashbuckler. Being able to get sneak attack without the help of an ally, getting the better part of the Mobile feat, adding my Charisma to my initiative modifier plus whatever other Rogue tricks I can pick up.

But of course dipping into Sorcerer(maybe Bard?) would also be a potent option if I'm going to multi-class. I've just not given it as much thought as the Swashbuckler.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arthil posted:

So my Gobbo Vengeance Paladin is rocking some fine stuff now.

Trying to decide on whether I still want to go full Paladin, or dip into Rogue or possibly another option. I'm not sure what the 'break-point' might be when dipping would be good.

Consider:
At level 7 you get the ability to reposition after Sentinel reaction attacks.
At level 8 you get another ASI.
At level 9 you 2 third level slots and Haste.
At level 10 you get a Fearless aura.
At level 11 you get Improved Divine Smite, adding 1d8 damage to all your attacks automatically. This includes the addition attack from being Hasted, and your reaction attacks.
At level 12 you get another ASI.
At level 13 you get 4th level spells, most notably Death Ward and Summon Greater Steed to have a flying mount.

Paladins are good poo poo all the way through, and as a Goblin you already have built-in Cunning Action, so what does Rogue give you, Expertise? Is that really worth it? Sneak Attack isn't going to outscale Haste/IDS and earlier ASIs.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Consider:
At level 7 you get the ability to reposition after Sentinel reaction attacks.
At level 8 you get another ASI.
At level 9 you 2 third level slots and Haste.
At level 10 you get a Fearless aura.
At level 11 you get Improved Divine Smite, adding 1d8 damage to all your attacks automatically. This includes the addition attack from being Hasted, and your reaction attacks.
At level 12 you get another ASI.
At level 13 you get 4th level spells, most notably Death Ward and Summon Greater Steed to have a flying mount.

Paladins are good poo poo all the way through, and as a Goblin you already have built-in Cunning Action, so what does Rogue give you, Expertise? Is that really worth it? Sneak Attack isn't going to outscale Haste/IDS and earlier ASIs.

You actually ended at the level I was going to consider dipping. Paladin is packed with too much goodness before then. This will not happen until Level 12 at the earliest. I will make note that I do not have Sentinel, and it would be a bit of a waste with the table I'm often at as two others also have it.

Up until I get Haste my attacks look like above, and it's probably pretty obvious that Haste is the better option for me once I do get it at least in melee combat. The idea was after Level 13 I would push 7 levels into Swashbuckler so it would look something like:

1d8(1d10)+2d6+1d8 x3 +4d6 before even thinking about smiting. Along with the full Cunning Action(BA Dash can be useful), Uncanny Dodge(for when they hit me), and Evasion seems like good options with Expertise just a fun flavorful frosting on the cake.

The one issue is I'll never get access to a fully powered smite without 5th level slots.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sorry, misread and misremembered so thought you had picked up Sentinel at some point.

Anyhow, two things: one, Divine Smite caps with 4th level slots, so it actually tops out at level 17 with 3 of them. Two, what you want 5th level slots for is Holy Weapon, unless there's a Cleric in the party that can take care of that while you pop Haste on yourself for delightful stacking.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sorry, misread and misremembered so thought you had picked up Sentinel at some point.

Anyhow, two things: one, Divine Smite caps with 4th level slots, so it actually tops out at level 17 with 3 of them. Two, what you want 5th level slots for is Holy Weapon, unless there's a Cleric in the party that can take care of that while you pop Haste on yourself for delightful stacking.

No problem.

Me and the other Paladin, who is a Conquest/Hexblade mix, are honestly the only spellcasters beyond a Warlock. This is an open table sort of situation, but the same people have been showing up.

I've got some time to think it over. Could be as simple as a 3 level dip at the end for a bit of a boost to initiative and the half-mobile feat ability. I can really see how the other Rogue stuff could become useful though if I go far enough into it. Part of my interest in it is also that despite my class, I basically am the party rogue. Sneaking about, disarming traps and such.

Edit: Though if I were to go full Paladin, I'd probably want to pick up either Resilient CON or Warcaster. Just to ensure my Haste/Holy Weapon/Whatever doesn't drop.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 29, 2018

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Playing through Curse of Strahd as a tempest Cleric disciple of Thor has been way more fun then I thought. Been doing about 75% of the groups damage just by myself and I only just realized after hitting lvl4 at the end of last session just how good Spiritual weapon actually is in increasing damage potential.

Bow before the might of the thunder god assholes!

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Nutsngum posted:

Playing through Curse of Strahd as a tempest Cleric disciple of Thor has been way more fun then I thought. Been doing about 75% of the groups damage just by myself and I only just realized after hitting lvl4 at the end of last session just how good Spiritual weapon actually is in increasing damage potential.

Bow before the might of the thunder god assholes!

yeah spiritual weapon + whatever the circle of angels 3rd lvl spell is really sold me that martial clerics just kill the fighter equivalents, especially for the first 10 levels.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
An artifact weaponset (daggers) for my party's rogue that allows him to "shadowstep" behind enemies and deliver an immediate sneak attack with both daggers as a full round action? Yes/no?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't think full round actions are a thing in 5e. I'd break it up so that it lets you teleport behind a target as a Bonus Action, and then you get advantage on the next attack you make against that target before the end of your turn. This also lets you do things like attack someone, and then bonus action away to safety behind the paladin or whatever.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DJ Dizzy posted:

An artifact weaponset (daggers) for my party's rogue that allows him to "shadowstep" behind enemies and deliver an immediate sneak attack with both daggers as a full round action? Yes/no?

Yeah, if you're going that far then just give it the Shadow Monk's Shadow Step:

You gain the ability to step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.

Just be aware that an almost entirely unrestricted teleport like this is very powerful, combat shenanigans notwithstanding.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Sounds like it would be ridiculously useful outside of combat.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You could crib that bit from the legendary daggers in Critical Role, where they can be thrown and then the wearer can teleport to the thrown location. If you're concerned about the freedom of teleport, limit it to X times per rest or only when it hits a creature.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey guys i'm having trouble figuring out "tool proficiencies" in 5th edition. In 3.5 if I wanted to create a character who's background was a peasant or craftsman or something I could just spend skill points on various craft and profession skills. After deep diving in XANATHAR'S GUIDE TO EVERYTHING I understand these sort of things are no longer skills but instead tool packages.

What I can't figure out is how to start the game with the proficiencies. I just want my guy to have been a builder so know the basics of woodworking and construction, but can not figure out how to get him the actual proficiency.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I made a tool to calculate monsters, navigation, foraging, temperature, and weather while traveling in different biomes.

You can use it for your own games at https://www.kassoon.com/dnd/wilderness-travel/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Hey guys i'm having trouble figuring out "tool proficiencies" in 5th edition. In 3.5 if I wanted to create a character who's background was a peasant or craftsman or something I could just spend skill points on various craft and profession skills. After deep diving in XANATHAR'S GUIDE TO EVERYTHING I understand these sort of things are no longer skills but instead tool packages.

What I can't figure out is how to start the game with the proficiencies. I just want my guy to have been a builder so know the basics of woodworking and construction, but can not figure out how to get him the actual proficiency.
Custom Background. Go to the backgrounds section, pick 1) two skills, 2) two tool or instrument proficiencies or two languages or any combination of one of each, 3) one of the background special abilities, and 4) an equipment package.

Or pick an existing background and swap out 2) for the appropriate proficiences.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 29, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Splicer posted:

Custom Background. Go to the backgrounds section, pick 1) two skills, 2) two tool or instrument proficiencies or two languages or any combination of one of each, 3) one of the background special abilities, and 4) an equipment package.

Or pick an existing background and swap out 2) for the appropriate proficiences.

Oh awesome D&D beyond made this so easy. Custom background so ditch my bonus languages for 2 tool proficiencies but keep the acolyte background fluff. I can play a proper hammerite now. Hail the master builder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kassoon posted:

I made a tool to calculate monsters, navigation, foraging, temperature, and weather while traveling in different biomes.

You can use it for your own games at https://www.kassoon.com/dnd/wilderness-travel/

This is really cool!
One thing: right now, the Underdark temperature varies from between day and night. Is it supposed to work like that?