Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Startyde posted:

Unless you need a board I’d rather a Peak tbh

I've got a keystep, but no keys other than that. Would be nice to have some fullsize keys around.

Edit: Purchased! This thing is awesome.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I made a patching tutorial for how to fake keyboard splits on the Circuit (and other Nova synthesizers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btg--ceVvT8

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The EWI is the future!

I got the 4000s on sale for about half price. Turns out it was a floor model but that's fine. This one has a virtual analog synthesizer built in with 100 preset slots, and a PC editor for patching it.

Oh and the thing looks like a phaser from Star Trek.

As a keys person with no wind experience beyond elementary school recorder class the sax fingering takes a lot of getting used to, but the expressive benefits of breath control are indesputibly in full effect.

However after about two hours of playing, it cut out and got stuck with all leds on, and wouldn't make any more sound. I returned it for a refund and will reattempt entry into the universe of wind synthesis at a later date.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
second hand breath controller

that puts the "ew" in "ewi"

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Went to a Synth Wave concert this past weekend and wound up buying a JDXI off of the keyboard player.

I wanted to get one a few years ago but $500 was just way too much but for $200 this thing is seriously awesome. It's basically an indie band in a box and I could totally see this thing replace the microkorg for that function.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

Went to a Synth Wave concert this past weekend and wound up buying a JDXI off of the keyboard player.

I wanted to get one a few years ago but $500 was just way too much but for $200 this thing is seriously awesome. It's basically an indie band in a box and I could totally see this thing replace the microkorg for that function.

Oh, nice catch! Was this guy slinging around an extra synth just in case he could get a quick sale?

I was watching some vids of the JD-xi last week and it looks like fun. Took me a while to realise "oh ok, it's a groovebox with a keyboard"

Can you chain patterns?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

dunno i barely touched the plugin, dont see the need atm.

what specifically is it you want to do

This was a while ago but, backup the machine entirely. Full management of the +drive for samples (drag and drop upload, arranging, renaming).

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Do ya'll have a recommendation for RCA->1/4" and which adapter to use to make sure that there's no noise loss? I was thinking RCA to 1/4" adapters and then running 1/4", but wasn't sure what was best to reduce failure points.

Edit: Scratch that, found some HOSA RCA->1/4" straight interconnects. Going to use those.

dj bobby bieber fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 22, 2018

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

dj bobby bieber posted:

Do ya'll have a recommendation for RCA->1/4" and which adapter to use to make sure that there's no noise loss? I was thinking RCA to 1/4" adapters and then running 1/4", but wasn't sure what was best to reduce failure points.

Edit: Scratch that, found some HOSA RCA->1/4" straight interconnects. Going to use those.

I haven't any issues with the HOSA molded cables for this (Tascam Tascam lol), some of mine are ten+ years old. If you want to get something a little nicer, the proco ones are at least repairable.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Startyde posted:

I haven't any issues with the HOSA molded cables for this (Tascam Tascam lol), some of mine are ten+ years old. If you want to get something a little nicer, the proco ones are at least repairable.

Yeah, I mean, at $5.50 or whatever per cable, it's almost worth getting extras and having them on-hand. I've really only had issues with Monoprice cables, so I'll roll with these for now. I couldn't find any on Sweetwater - I must've been using the absolute worst search terms

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BeigeJacket posted:

Oh, nice catch! Was this guy slinging around an extra synth just in case he could get a quick sale?

I was watching some vids of the JD-xi last week and it looks like fun. Took me a while to realise "oh ok, it's a groovebox with a keyboard"

Can you chain patterns?

I only got to play with it last night for a few minutes so I'm not 100% sure but I do know that there are 4 separate voices (drums, 2 digital synth voices, and an Analog voice) and you can set a unique pattern for each voice and have them play all at the same time. Also the sequencer is really intuitive and awesome.

He was actually preforming with the synth and just wanted to get something else. I asked him how he liked it after the show because I had been looking at getting one and he was just like "yeah I'll sell it to you right now" - so I bought it lol.

The analog voice is pretty limited but the LPF they give you for the analog voice is a screamer.

I would highly recommend but I still do not think it's worth the $500 sticker price.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
JD-xi is the synth I started with a couple years ago and it's great. I got rid of it because I kinda hated the minikeys and the analog part was a bit wimpy, but I definitely miss the drums and the sequencer.

Unless they added something in a new firmware you can't chain patterns, but you can always use the ghetto method of saving patterns sequentially and switching to the next pattern by hand (patterns don't change until they reach the end).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

XenoCrab posted:

JD-xi is the synth I started with a couple years ago and it's great. I got rid of it because I kinda hated the minikeys and the analog part was a bit wimpy, but I definitely miss the drums and the sequencer.

Unless they added something in a new firmware you can't chain patterns, but you can always use the ghetto method of saving patterns sequentially and switching to the next pattern by hand (patterns don't change until they reach the end).

Yeah the analog voice is pretty wack but honestly the digital voices have impressed me. It's great for pads.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I want to get into synthesizers for sound design and huge DIY potential. I love Arduino and small electronics in general, so I’d like to get some base knowledge and then start building my own modules. Looking at the Behringer Model D / Neutron. Looks like the model D is more “classic” in a sense. Would either of these be a good jumping off point? From there I just plug in a midi keyboard and I’m good to go?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Not sure who here is in LA, but John Carpenter is playing his greatest hits film scores on Halloween at the Palladium. Just extended my trip there to catch it because It is extremeeeely my poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Not sure who here is in LA, but John Carpenter is playing his greatest hits film scores on Halloween at the Palladium. Just extended my trip there to catch it because It is extremeeeely my poo poo.

Copied that to the :420: thread. Thanks

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I saw him a couple of years ago. I definitely recommend it (can’t go myself this time).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That sounds rad... I don’t have Halloween plans

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I really wish I was in LA for Halloween because I would love that :(

I also have no Halloween plans at the moment.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

compton rear end terry posted:

I want to get into synthesizers for sound design and huge DIY potential. I love Arduino and small electronics in general, so I’d like to get some base knowledge and then start building my own modules. Looking at the Behringer Model D / Neutron. Looks like the model D is more “classic” in a sense. Would either of these be a good jumping off point? From there I just plug in a midi keyboard and I’m good to go?

Those are both totally rad synths. And yeah, you can just plug a midi keyboard into them to make beeps and boops (plus headphones or amplifier or such, of course). The Neutron is a little more appealing to me personally, with its greater number of patch points. That would help integrate future diy modules. Really though, the biggest difference is just the sound. They're both good, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They did one of those marketing videos with John Carpenter where they had him play a Nintendo Labo and they must have just barely gotten a usable video out of it because half of it is just him going "this thing loving sucks."

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

good jovi posted:

Those are both totally rad synths. And yeah, you can just plug a midi keyboard into them to make beeps and boops (plus headphones or amplifier or such, of course). The Neutron is a little more appealing to me personally, with its greater number of patch points. That would help integrate future diy modules. Really though, the biggest difference is just the sound. They're both good, though.

Sweet, the price is ridiculously appealing so I think I’m going to get a Neutron and then build a WP-20 in time and just go from there.

I know these are pretty new on the market. Any sense in waiting till Black Friday or will a generic guitar center 20% off coupon suffice?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Andrew Huang did a pretty nice and brief overview of how the OP-Z works and how to make a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw__2UHka1s

I'm no more interested in buying one, but I'm a lot clearer about the device itself now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My big question is what this means for the OP-1. I started coveting it probably in 2014 when it was only 3 years old, but could never justify the cost. Now that 4 more years have gone by, I still want an OP-1, arguably for reasons more clear than I did back in 2014, but I’m also more hesitant to drop a big chunk of change on something that might be superseded or deprecated (or potentially discontinued, with prices skyrocketing) in the near future.

Now, if an OP-2 or whatever was coming out TE would probably let us know way ahead of time and spend years semi-publicly developing and teasing its features. But I still worry about having waited too long and buying a long-in-the-tooth plink plonk machine and not getting my :10bux:’s worth (yeah yeah, I know- lmao at that idea in this thread).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Did they crank (lol) the MSRP on the OP1 or something? Used ones are going for what I remember the new price being.
e: also the opz is the op2

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The Op 1 is a pretty different beast used for different purposes. The op-z is pattern based, the Op-1 is recording based.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Someone talk me out of getting an aerophone

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Someone talk me out of getting an aerophone

Can you play sax?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

No I have never in my life played a wind instrument

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is the $4 limited time Synthmaster deal worth anything? Never heard of that software in my life.

A MIRACLE posted:

No I have never in my life played a wind instrument

Hrmmmm....would you be open to taking some lessons? It’s been literally like 16 years since I last played in middle school band but it’s really worth at least getting a feel for how expression and proper technique work on a sax. Otherwise I’m not sure you’d be getting your money’s worth on what is basically an electric sax. Maybe commit to taking a few weeks’ worth of lessons with it?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Totally open to lessons... tbh I would love to learn a real one but I can’t justify annoying my neighbors that much haha. FWIw my dad is an accomplished Bb horn player so he is a resource I can lean on for basics

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Totally open to lessons... tbh I would love to learn a real one but I can’t justify annoying my neighbors that much haha. FWIw my dad is an accomplished Bb horn player so he is a resource I can lean on for basics

:eng101: That’s why you learn on the aerophone. Like practicing on an electric guitar either unplugged or run through headphones.

https://youtu.be/pHXDMe6QV-U

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is the $4 limited time Synthmaster deal worth anything? Never heard of that software in my life.
There's a free version in the downloads section called Synthmaster Player Free. It has 500 of the 1700 presets and (pretty much) the same software you'd get for your $4. So you can see for yourself.

The full Synthmaster is supremely capable. I quite liked the old feature limited version I got free with a music magazine. The interface isn't massively intuitive or elegant, but it has some nice and useful quirks, like manipulating the filter curve through nodes. So, like, the makers are legit and have been in the business for some time.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

64 Bit Dolphins - how are you finding that JD-Xi?

Theres a fairly healthy trade in them on ebay, and if I see one for £200-ish I may well go for it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was going to make myself some blank Eurorack panels, but I realized that I could probably do something functional with them instead of being purely blank, so I came up with a 16 HP cable holder.

Does anyone know if there are other simple designs for Eurorack panels that aren't quite blank? I was thinking of doing one that was a shelf I could put my phone on.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Chainclaw posted:

I was going to make myself some blank Eurorack panels, but I realized that I could probably do something functional with them instead of being purely blank, so I came up with a 16 HP cable holder.

Does anyone know if there are other simple designs for Eurorack panels that aren't quite blank? I was thinking of doing one that was a shelf I could put my phone on.

Theres one kicking about at the moment with a tuning fork on it that should be easy enough to make?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Got my Reface DX few weeks ago and am having great time with it. However I wanted to ask if anyone remembers what was the weird quirk/lie with its envelope display exactly - I remember there being something counterintuitive about it, but I cannot find it online.

I also welcome any and all goon-approved recipes for the fattest of donks, it has become my minor obsession as I'm figuring FM out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Packing up my setup for moving, and I really wish I'd have kept all the boxes.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Packing up my setup for moving, and I really wish I'd have kept all the boxes.

Now that I'm liquidating half of my home studio, I'm very grateful to my obstinate past self that insisted it was worth it to have a bunch of cardboard boxes taking up the closet in our spare room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Joke's on me, none of the boxes I did keep fit in the moving boxes.

Special shoutout to the 5mm too tall Model D box.