Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Then even in the macro thread it became a rule not to post the same one on the same page or you’d get a probation - not a sixer, but like a week. I recall specifically there’d be races to post “we’ve got a badass over here” and it was the first post per page for pages on end.

Haha I forgot about that. :regd08:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

report reason posted:

6 consecutive posts and no signs of stopping
is a good avatar description.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
There's a reasonable chance I get murdered in the next few days:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870830&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Let us know when that happens, I prefer to read story threads when they're done.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Let us know when that happens, I prefer to read story threads when they're done.

I'm with you. I thought the thread was done until this morning when the cops called and told me to get out of the house immediately. I'd just love to know that an "end" really is an end and not a sick twist where the killer comes back to life and keeps me from making GBS threads in my own bathroom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

overmind2000 posted:

there's also the time that an lf poster was complicit in the death of tim russert

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone post the Iron Chef Something Awful where a goon cooked a phenomenal gourmet meal on a ratty little stove crammed into the corner of a dusty flat that looked like it belonged in a depressing French film about a war? That, and, "anything to get the taste of your chili out of their mouths," are probably the best things to ever come out of that forum.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Did anyone post the Iron Chef Something Awful where a goon cooked a phenomenal gourmet meal on a ratty little stove crammed into the corner of a dusty flat that looked like it belonged in a depressing French film about a war? That, and, "anything to get the taste of your chili out of their mouths," are probably the best things to ever come out of that forum.

Chickencheese

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

dreadmojo posted:

Chickencheese

TFR's contribution to that was fantastic

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I hope that the chickencheese magic is recaptured some day

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

e: misread

exquisite tea has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

TFR's contribution to that was fantastic

Didn’t AI have someone cook one in an engine?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t AI have someone cook one in an engine?

I believe that was still TFR, it was a military truck they used.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

dreadmojo posted:

Chickencheese

Chickencheese was OK, too, but there was something beautiful about that lovely meal coming out of that squalid environment.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Nothing beats masaokis

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The Hell Kitchen?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rofl delivers on its promise

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol, yes. Thank you. I forgot it got made into an article. Thread was still better, though, because you got all the reactions, and you got them in real time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol

quote:

You should wipe your entire kitchen down with fire.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

See, you have no excuse for not preparing gourmet meals, even if you are literally an undead creature confined eternally to the cafeteria kitchen at that Silent Hill school.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Lol, yes. Thank you. I forgot it got made into an article. Thread was still better, though, because you got all the reactions, and you got them in real time.

The thread is here (but you will probably need archives)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

I believe that was still TFR, it was a military truck they used.

A half-track or at least a deuce and a half and they seasoned the chicken with a shotgun shell full of peppercorns or something? It was a bit much on the :black101: effort but still funny to see someone actually wrapping that shredded bird and cheese up in foil and baking it on an engine block.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

aardwolf posted:

The thread is here (but you will probably need archives)

Ah, bummer. I do not have archives. Thank you, though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

syscall girl posted:

A half-track or at least a deuce and a half and they seasoned the chicken with a shotgun shell full of peppercorns or something? It was a bit much on the :black101: effort but still funny to see someone actually wrapping that shredded bird and cheese up in foil and baking it on an engine block.

Volvo C304 TGB 11-13

The post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post409791801

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

They did a Volvo C-303 on RCR

It's a close fit for some extra flavor on the kind of person who has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLe7q-vqlE8

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Holy poo poo lol, thank you for this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. woops wrong thread

Leperflesh has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Oct 30, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I used to go on camping/fishing trips in the southwest desert in the summer and even sitting around playing dominoes could wear you out in a few hours if you weren't constantly drinking water.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I used to go on camping/fishing trips in the southwest desert in the summer and even sitting around playing dominoes could wear you out in a few hours if you weren't constantly drinking water.

No problem, carry around a 20 water gallon container behind you in a baby stroller. If Hobo Nick can do it anyone can.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OH this was the right thread, we're discussing this same saga in two different threads LOL.
The guy with the cart was in Marin, so north of SF. His wal-mart cart destroyed itself on the trails within a couple miles so he just dumped it in the woods. He was a very picky eater and so he attempted to survive on nothing but raisins. Eventually he made it to a ranger station literally like four miles into his grueling adventure and passed out there (not slept, lost consciousness due to lack of food), hung around for half a day, and then went home.

His entire preparation for this cross-the-nation hike to raise awareness for mental health consisted of posting a thread with pictures of a couple hundred bucks of wal-mart "supplies" and reading a couple websites about other people who pushed carts for long-distance travel, and bringing some raisins to eat because IIRC he literally only eats like four things and three of them are only available from certain specific fast food joints. His route was going to take him across the hottest parts of the desert southwest in the middle of summer until goons convinced him for pages and pages to take a more notherly route, which he eventually begrudgingly accepted as a possible option.

This adventure was going to cure him of his crippling depression.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

IIRC he literally only eats like four things and three of them are only available from certain specific fast food joints

lol there are so many hosed up things on this planet but picky eaters are one of those that I despise the most

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Leperflesh posted:

This adventure was going to cure him of his crippling depression.

Did it work?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It never works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lifg posted:

Did it work?

Look into your heart. You already know the answer.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The point was raisin awareness, and now we're aware. Mission accomplished!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

necroid posted:

lol there are so many hosed up things on this planet but picky eaters are one of those that I despise the most

I like to imagine them being born 4000 years ago and being presented with the local diet that is the only thing to eat and just starving to death after being weaned off of breastfeeding because they won't eat the local staple diet.

Oh you're a "supertaster," well, it's still beans maize and squash, rear end in a top hat. Eat or die.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I like to imagine them being born 4000 years ago and being presented with the local diet that is the only thing to eat and just starving to death after being weaned off of breastfeeding because they won't eat the local staple diet.

Oh you're a "supertaster," well, it's still beans maize and squash, rear end in a top hat. Eat or die.

The brain actually has ways to make even terrible food appetizing if that's all that's available. What your tastes are is actually very heavily influenced by what you ate growing up which, for most of human history, was "whatever we can find here." It's extremely unlikely that somebody would starve to death from not finding the local staples appetizing if that's literally all that was available. One of the reasons our tastes are loving up and obesity is rampant is because we're our own worst enemies when it comes to food. We're wired to eat the best foods first (note that every ancient culture has a god of the hunt and probably a god of farming but absolutely nobody had a god of that random poo poo we dig up and eat when there's nothing else available) and move down from there. But thanks to the effectively infinite availability of just everything in modern society our tastes are getting screwed up.

Depression also fucks up tastes so if the guy was depressed he was probably focusing on bad food because, well, depression just does that. Which is problematic because garbage fast food actually makes you more depressed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

necroid posted:

It's pretty damning that picky eaters as a group are far more prolific in the US and the UK. Sure some kids develop a genuine psychological to certain tastes or textures but it's strange for some reason all other picky eaters will scarf down any kind of prepackaged, fast, delivery, or frozen convenience food but they almost all can't handle any fruits or vegetables.

Has there ever been a thread or A/T from someone trying to claim they were a picky eater and defending the McDonald's-like diet they follow? There was the Bluestory mess about how she and her husband only ever ate out, the husband had an "oral sensitivity allergy" to all fruits and vegetables, and Bluestory found boiling water for pasta to be too trying.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

It's pretty damning that picky eaters as a group are far more prolific in the US and the UK. Sure some kids develop a genuine psychological to certain tastes or textures but it's strange for some reason all other picky eaters will scarf down any kind of prepackaged, fast, delivery, or frozen convenience food but they almost all can't handle any fruits or vegetables.

There's a very real possibility that fast food garbage was the majority of what they ate growing up. America doesn't have the best relationship with food; food deserts are depressingly common, school lunches loving suck, and if both parents are working two or three part time jobs each just to get by there's a very real possibility that every meal comes out of the freezer. This is especially a problem among poor families that for a variety of reasons just can't get easy access to fresh fruits and vegetables.

So if you grow up eating mostly McDonald's, pizza, and salty frozen dinners that's what you're probably going to prefer as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got a good friend who is a supertaster and picky eater. I knew him growing up. His dad home-cooked good food all the time. But by the time he was a teenager he was routinely just not eating that and getting himself mcdonalds instead, and his parents allowed it. Perhaps they didn't want to fight with him about it because he was also (surprise!) depressed and dealing with various other issues.

He's a reasonable person and he is always willing to at least taste something new, I've taken him out to good restaurants or made him good food and he gamely tries stuff. But sometimes he gags on it and other times he just politely says he doesn't care for it. He knows it's terrible and tries not to make a big deal out of it, but at the age of 43 its not something he's going to grow out of and I have to imagine his steady diet of pizza, mcdonalds, spaghetti, and togos turkey sandwich with half meat double cheese is going to somehow limit his lifespand or cause health problems later.

There is very obviously a psychological component to it but I don't think it's as simple as just parents not forcing them to eat strange food. At least, not always.

At least he has no illusions about attempting cross-country hikes on 100 calories of raisins. That guy was not just depressed, he was a loving idiot.