Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shifty Nipples posted:

They are burrowing snakes so I think it helps to have a little head.

I've been using this line for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A game room in an old house is where you put game you've killed, not where you play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

A game room in an old house is where you put game you've killed, not where you play Hungry Hungry Hippos.
I don’t see any difference here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

I don’t see any difference here.

The hippo can't be hungry if it's dead :rolleyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hippos hunger after death

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

not even death can quench their immortal bloodlust

VV theres still blood in there

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Oct 26, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

not even death can quench their immortal bloodlust

They eat balls though.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Jerry Cotton posted:

They eat balls though.

I thought that was Mr. T? :confused:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I thought that was Mr. T? :confused:

Wow. Talk about digging deep into the past. Although wasn't that Chewbacca? I can remember running across that from my first ISP job back in '97.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Proteus Jones posted:

Wow. Talk about digging deep into the past. Although wasn't that Chewbacca? I can remember running across that from my first ISP job back in '97.
It was deffo Mr. T

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Proteus Jones posted:

Both existed. Mr. T came first.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dross posted:

Both existed. Mr. T came first.

Chewbacca lost a game of Soggy Biscuit to Mr T?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

That doesn't seem to be true at all. The earliest use I can find is this court decision thing, which uses game room to refer to a place where gambling takes place. This thing from 1906 specifically refers to a gaming room as a place to play recreational games like chess, ping-pong, etc.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A drawing room however was definitely not a room for sketches and doodles, it was a room that guests would withdraw to after a meal

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dilb posted:

That doesn't seem to be true at all. The earliest use I can find is this court decision thing, which uses game room to refer to a place where gambling takes place. This thing from 1906 specifically refers to a gaming room as a place to play recreational games like chess, ping-pong, etc.

When I hear “gaming room” I think parcheesi, cards and what not.

When I hear “game room” I think of heads on walls and other taxidermy horrors. Like big game trophy room

The informal poll in group text to family and friends supports this. And since only people I know personally are real, this is the way it is everywhere.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Jerry Cotton posted:

They eat balls though.

purple death ray posted:

theres still blood in there

I can’t believe I just figured out that piss AND blood are stored in the balls

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

When I hear “gaming room” I think parcheesi, cards and what not.

When I hear “game room” I think of heads on walls and other taxidermy horrors. Like big game trophy room

Hmm...

Hunting trophies were the anime statues of the early 20th century.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Huh. Diablo ate my balls.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Hmm...

Hunting trophies were the anime statues of the early 20th century.

The 19th century Fench equivalent of "would you like to netflix and chill?" was "Would you like to see my japanese art collection" so anime is eternal.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't the Meiji equivalent, "Do you want to see my European art collection?"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dilb posted:

I said old and even underlined it. Anyway I figured it out when looking at floor plans of a few old houses and wondering why the gently caress there would be a "game room" between the back entrance and the kitchen(s), until it clicked.

e: I don't have those at hand but Google gives an example of this use:

(this time with a hyphen but that's just because English ortography is entirely incidental)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Oct 28, 2018

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ah, that’s the problem. You underlined “old” and I spent about twenty minutes trying to click on it. I bet a lot of people were confused if it didn’t work for them either. What did the link go to anyway?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It was recursive to his own post most likely.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/OxfordWords/status/1056444230875238400

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
1609s it meant "board" or "fragment," further origins from brotel, "brittle" in Middle English.

Makes sense. Fragment -> dust

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
A little late but I read the Wikipedia article about 'parlours' the other day (god knows why), and wondered if that came up. And despite "parlour games" being a big thing, apparently nobody in old-timey Australian newspapers ever used the phrase "game parlour", so I guess that's not an alternative.

Since that's boring, have some parlour games I just read about :
  • 1872: To do the thing properly requires two boys... We might as well say here that the trick, game, or performance, as we choose to term it, is called the 'Old Woman Finding her Key-hole'...
  • 1894: A pleasant way for a party of young people to entertain themselves at an informal gathering is for them to try to distinguish each other by seeing the eyes alone...
  • 1917: A measuring contest makes a good game for an evening party... Begin with the longer distances, and do not divide inches with these. If the door, for instance, is 84in. high...
  • 1920: Place six medium-size potatoes on the floor at one end of the room about a foot apart. Then [someone] arms himself with an ordinary teaspoon, lifts a potato with it, and deposits it across the room in a basket...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

uvar posted:

Since that's boring, have some parlour games I just read about :

No wonder all the doctors back then prescribed cocaine and heroin and poo poo, life was boring as hell.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

uvar posted:

[*]1872: To do the thing properly requires two boys... We might as well say here that the trick, game, or performance, as we choose to term it, is called the 'Old Woman Finding her Key-hole'...

This sounds like a weird sex game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

uvar posted:

[*]1917: A measuring contest makes a good game for an evening party... Begin with the longer distances, and do not divide inches with these. If the door, for instance, is 84in. high...

Ah, the YOSPOS parlour game or "height chat" as it is known today.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In 50 years when the average person spends their evenings having sex with animes in VR they gonna find out about Jenga and think the 80s-90s were so dull.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can’t figure how to google it, but does anyone remember that british victorian wargame that was basically an ancestor of Warhammer, DnD, and so on? One of the first mass-marketed ones iirc.

And specifically how it insists that it’s great fun for Gentlemen, Boys, and Some Bright Girls.

No proper ladies in my tabletop game, no siree bob.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can’t figure how to google it, but does anyone remember that british victorian wargame that was basically an ancestor of Warhammer, DnD, and so on? One of the first mass-marketed ones iirc.

And specifically how it insists that it’s great fun for Gentlemen, Boys, and Some Bright Girls.

No proper ladies in my tabletop game, no siree bob.

H.G. Wells’ Little Wars from 1913.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rascar Capac posted:

H.G. Wells’ Little Wars from 1913.

And I thought my dream was owning a full wargaming table. There they are with a whole room.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not "just figured out", cause I learned it on Thursday, but a graveyard is attached to a church (like, part of its grounds), and a cemetery is separate.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

My small, granular diamond is also named bort

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Topical: The music in the commercial in Halloween 3 is 'London Bridge is falling down'. I always thought it was catchy but I don't know why it took me so long to make that connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-uC0LDllM

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This guy

is not Archie Bunker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WICKEDLY A BIRD posted:

This guy

is not Archie Bunker.

Are you sure?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

WICKEDLY A BIRD posted:

This guy

is not Archie Bunker.

You know, a lot of conversations make more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are you sure?