Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For those that hike in the early mornings, what is your preferred and/or successful approach to avoid interrupting the animals?

I usually start rather early; Tuesday that meant 5am and 2hr with a headlamp. Historically I've done 30--45min like that, but a full two hours starts off dark. I don't want to interrupt the sleeping fuzzy creatures, I'm sure they don't want to be awakened, but neither do I want to stumble upon some crepuscular getting it's morning drink at the stream crossing.

So do you go with your ghetto blasters or do you slink though Moria hoping to go unnoticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They won’t care.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Animal sightings are one of the best parts of hiking. And yeah, you’re not gonna sneak up on a sleeping anything, their senses are hyper tuned for survival.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

For those that hike in the early mornings, what is your preferred and/or successful approach to avoid interrupting the animals?

I usually start rather early; Tuesday that meant 5am and 2hr with a headlamp. Historically I've done 30--45min like that, but a full two hours starts off dark. I don't want to interrupt the sleeping fuzzy creatures, I'm sure they don't want to be awakened, but neither do I want to stumble upon some crepuscular getting it's morning drink at the stream crossing.

So do you go with your ghetto blasters or do you slink though Moria hoping to go unnoticed?

Make noise in general. I break sticks sometimes. If you're near a stream/river I'll try and make a bit more noise since that's usually the only time you'll surprise something unless you're sneaking. Loudly singing the Pokémon song is good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If there's not much cloud cover you can see loads at night without a torch if you let your eyes adjust. If there's a decent moon on a clear night you would have no problem at all.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Edit: wrong thread

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 29, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I hike alone so bearbell is my friend. Worst I encountered was a possible defensive black bear in a copse of trees maybe 50 yards off the trail, but between my jingling and his stamping we were able to easily avoid each other :v:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 30, 2018

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

knox_harrington posted:

If there's not much cloud cover you can see loads at night without a torch if you let your eyes adjust. If there's a decent moon on a clear night you would have no problem at all.
... if you're hiking in the desert and not a heavily wooded area. :devil:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

... if you're hiking in the desert and not a heavily wooded area. :devil:

That depends... Pine forest, you're hosed, you can't see your hand in front of your face and the trees creaking and rubbing up against each other is creepy as poo poo.

Deciduous woodland? Usually not so bad, especially as most of the stuff out east here is second or third generation growth and not so dense.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just got back from an insanely good trip. Highlights included Devil's Garden and Fiery Furnace in Moab, Sky Pond in the Rockies, Slough Creek in Yellowstone, The Narrows and Observation Point in Zion, and notably a one day south kaibab to bright angel loop in the Grand Canyon. That last one was a serious death march by the end, but I'm glad to have done it. Wouldn't do it again. What a trip. Will have some pics at some point.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Sunday was most likely the last time I was going to get out in the Uintas this year so I made sure to make it a 13000 foot mountain.

The winds were blowing at 50 MPH over this saddle, it was a rough go.

I'm slowly trekking my way eastward in the range.

Next up is Wasatch BM, then Lovenia. Only 19 more to go then I'll have summitted all the 13000 foot mountains in the state

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Some adventures in Glacier Park this summer.

Ipasha Peak & Ahern Glacier

Mount Stimson

Harrison Glacier

Elevensies below Mount Jackson

Split Mountain

Walton Mountain

Sunrise

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Since I know we all love to, can we talk some gear? My layering system is pretty prehistoric and I'm upgrading some stuff after moving to Colorado this year.

The pieces I have had for a long while that still make sense to keep are my synthetic shirts, my s/s and l/s icebreaker merino base layers, my primaloft vest (which isn't actually a great backpacking item), my Patagonia down sweater puffy, and my ancient Marmot PreCip jacket that doesn't bead up at all but doesn't wet through.

My biggest weaknesses are my lighter mid-layers, and using my somewhat heavy (in ULW terms) PreCip as a wind/heat layer even when it's not going to rain or for day hikes when I don't need "real" rain protection.

I just nabbed an OR Deviator hoody, which seems about the lightest thing feasible as insulation for late spring-early fall hiking/backpacking or for starting a day hike when it's still chilly/shady. I took my down sweater backpacking when it was 40-ish at times and it felt like overkill when stopped at camp. I am considering getting a Houdini wind jacket to layer over the Deviator to create a better ULW combo for everything but real multi-day backpacking when I'd likely take my PreCip for real rain resistance in case of a real driving storm when I still need to finish a long day of hiking.

Thoughts on the actual warmth of the Houdini/Deviator combo when stopped at night or at camp breakfast when temps might be in the 40s?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Edit: missed your part at the end asking about the deviator. Personally know nothing about it outside of looking at the specs page just now. Seems fine? Little heavy (same reason I avoid taking my R1. I would guess you would be fine. If not you have your rain jacket to add. Maybe sleep baselayer if you bring one? And lastlt your sleeping bag/quilt if you are still cold

personally have a Houdini and while it's fine, it's on my list of "To Replace". It's pretty far down the list, because I have it and it's not BAD, but I find it to be not as breathable as I'd like. I feel like there are better ones out there now.

Personally I use this:

Lower: Running shorts and wind pants. I tried wind pants for the first time this year and was pretty dang surprised how much warmth they gave me over bare legs. I was find in the 40's. If I needed even more I do still bring sleep clothes (leggings and top).

Upper: T-Shirt (Lululemon synthetic top), Houdini, Precip, 100wt Fleece (I do have an R1 if I feel like I want a little more warmth out of my fleece) OR Patagonia Micro Puff. I try and avoid bringing both the fleece and the puffy, though. I find I rarely, if ever, need both. If I needed both I probably am not going backpacking to be honest as I don't really go out when it is consistently below freezing.

That's pretty much it? With no budget, and eventually I will get this more dialed in, but these are a couple of on my radar upgrades if you are interested:

Windjacket: Montbell Tachyon and MH Ghost lite
Rain Jacket: Lightheart Gear Rain Jacket ( I would love one of the newer Northface ones, or Columbia Shake Dry but I don't see myself ever spending that much on a rain jacket)
Puffy: Something made by Nunatak or an Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex jacket

Basically, I feel like either the puffy or the fleece combined with the other layers is fine down to freezing. Worse comes to worse, I have my sleeping quilt to throw over me in camp if I need it. I bring my fleece if I plan on hiking more then camping and my puffy if I plan on spending more time in camp and doing shorter hikes.

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 9, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

CancerStick posted:

Windjacket: Montbell Tachyon and MH Ghost lite
Rain Jacket: Lightheart Gear Rain Jacket ( I would love one of the newer Northface ones, or Columbia Shake Dry but I don't see myself ever spending that much on a rain jacket)
Puffy: Something made by Nunatak or an Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex jacket

Basically, I feel like either the puffy or the fleece combined with the other layers is fine down to freezing. Worse comes to worse, I have my sleeping quilt to throw over me in camp if I need it. I bring my fleece if I plan on hiking more then camping and my puffy if I plan on spending more time in camp and doing shorter hikes.

Yeah apparently the Houdini isn't actually that breathable at all, spec wise. The Arkteryzyxux (which automatically means, to me, costing 40% more than it needs to) Incendo seems kind of magic, but likely less DWR. I should see what the newer tech fabrics are for lightweight windshirts. I'll check out the Tachyon and Ghost Lite specs/reviews. Fit is a big deal, too, as I don't have a skinny dude build which makes me fear anything Mont-bell by default.

Here's an interesting post, though: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/7wa0du/houdini_vs_tachyon_breathabilty/

of course as the first comment says, YMMV.

Deviator is basically going to be my lightweight insulation layer because freaking Melanzana doesn't stock fleeces even at their own store (my buddy went out there this past weekend and they essentially had none of their fleece hoodies in stock). I love that the Deviator doesn't even have back insulation, which should make carrying the daypack or backpack much nicer.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 9, 2018

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Yeah. I think the ol BPL folks talk about the ideal wind jacket being around a CFM of 35? The newer Houdinis are like 8 or some poo poo. And to be honest I can tell. There is only one time in the last two years the Houdini was perfect where I wasn't overheating or too cold (dayhiking mt rainier) otherwise I usually get pretty hot in it pretty quickly. I think the montbell one is pretty close to that spec. I believe Enlightened Equipment makes one that is 7d that is also very close but AESTHETICS ( i like the montbell one better aesthetically if they spec similarly. )

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I replaced my houdini with a BD alpine start for most purposes, and I really like that jacket. I know people like to throw CFM numbers around but it's tough to get reliable vendor specs and or up to date / accurate tests from nerds on BPL. I generally rely on the "put jacket over mouth and nose and try to breath" test and by that metric it's significantly more breathable than the houdini. It's a higher denier fabric, though, so its rain resistance is noticably better than the houdini. I think the reason they can get away with a denser fabric yet better breathability is that it's basically a very light schoeller stretch woven fabric as opposed to the usual nylon windshirt materials. This also means less billowing in the wind and easier sizing for putting over a fleece or w/e.

It's "heavy" for a windshirt at around 8 oz, but unless I'm expecting a lot of rain I can just take that jacket + a light insulating jacket as my entire layering system for most trips during the summer, and in colder months I usually keep it on most of the time.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

ShaneB posted:

Since I know we all love to, can we talk some gear? My layering system is pretty prehistoric and I'm upgrading some stuff after moving to Colorado this year.

The pieces I have had for a long while that still make sense to keep are my synthetic shirts, my s/s and l/s icebreaker merino base layers, my primaloft vest (which isn't actually a great backpacking item), my Patagonia down sweater puffy, and my ancient Marmot PreCip jacket that doesn't bead up at all but doesn't wet through.

My biggest weaknesses are my lighter mid-layers, and using my somewhat heavy (in ULW terms) PreCip as a wind/heat layer even when it's not going to rain or for day hikes when I don't need "real" rain protection.

I just nabbed an OR Deviator hoody, which seems about the lightest thing feasible as insulation for late spring-early fall hiking/backpacking or for starting a day hike when it's still chilly/shady. I took my down sweater backpacking when it was 40-ish at times and it felt like overkill when stopped at camp. I am considering getting a Houdini wind jacket to layer over the Deviator to create a better ULW combo for everything but real multi-day backpacking when I'd likely take my PreCip for real rain resistance in case of a real driving storm when I still need to finish a long day of hiking.

Thoughts on the actual warmth of the Houdini/Deviator combo when stopped at night or at camp breakfast when temps might be in the 40s?

I use a capilene thermal weight for a mid-layer insulation most of the time in Colorado, it's like the perfect tradeoff for chilly mornings without overheating. Layering goes: lightweight long sleeve > capilene thermal > windjacket > rain shell, plus a down jacket for camp. It seems to hold up to CO weather pretty well, which can go from 90 to freezing in the same day. The wind jacket gets the most use since a lot of the time you'll be cold from windchill rather than temperature. I have an older Houdini and it's baller, I think anything reasonably breathable and packable would work well to fit this niche.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My guide on a climbing course here in Suisse was really into his incendio jacket. I think the dwr is pretty good on them.

I have an Inov8 super lightweight waterproof jacket which is excellent - as long as you don't have to take it off quickly as its a half-zip.

Looks like they only do the full zip version now: https://www.inov-8.com/us/raceshell-waterproof-running-jacket-mens-red?___store=us

For other lightweight gear the OMM stuff is great. https://theomm.com

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 10, 2018

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is Mt Whitney a glaciated peak? The Mazamas website thinks so (they require you to have summited a glaciated peak to join) but I can't tell, and it's the only one on the list I've climbed.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is Mt Whitney a glaciated peak? The Mazamas website thinks so (they require you to have summited a glaciated peak to join) but I can't tell, and it's the only one on the list I've climbed.

I'm not even clear on what that means exactly. Google points you toward https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramidal_peak but Whitney doesn't really fall into that category at all IMO.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Mt Whitney does not have any glaciers as such. And in any case none (I'm pretty sure?) of the glaciers that do exist in the Sierra Nevada have crevasses (unless you count the bergschrund) so the usual glacier travel techniques involving crevasse rescue are not used.

That being said, there is of course plenty of snow outside of midsummer to early autumn. If you plan to go there when there is snow, familiarity with ice axe and crampons would be a minimum, and if going on any of the class 2-3 routes, familiarity with basic mountaineering (ropes, harness, protection, steep snow travel, basic scrambling, avalanche skills ) would be a good idea despite these being "non-technical" routes.

I think asking for a previous summit of a "glaciated peak" is a bit much for e.g. the mountaineer's route at any time of the year, but for a non-summer ascent I think requiring previous general mountaineering experience with ice axe / crampons and winter camping is pretty typical

What route are you planning to do and when?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Morbus posted:

Mt Whitney does not have any glaciers as such. And in any case none (I'm pretty sure?) of the glaciers that do exist in the Sierra Nevada have crevasses (unless you count the bergschrund) so the usual glacier travel techniques involving crevasse rescue are not used.

That being said, there is of course plenty of snow outside of midsummer to early autumn. If you plan to go there when there is snow, familiarity with ice axe and crampons would be a minimum, and if going on any of the class 2-3 routes, familiarity with basic mountaineering (ropes, harness, protection, steep snow travel, basic scrambling, avalanche skills ) would be a good idea despite these being "non-technical" routes.

I think asking for a previous summit of a "glaciated peak" is a bit much for e.g. the mountaineer's route at any time of the year, but for a non-summer ascent I think requiring previous general mountaineering experience with ice axe / crampons and winter camping is pretty typical

What route are you planning to do and when?

To be clear, I did Whitney a few years ago at the end of the JMT. That lets me join this hiking & climbing club in Portland, which is cool.

I've never climbed anything tougher than a scramble, but I might just take the Basic Climbing Education Program in the spring. It would be really satisfying but I would have to get in better shape first.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 16, 2018

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Any suggestions for a day hike close to Oakland, CA?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dukket posted:

Any suggestions for a day hike close to Oakland, CA?

Tilden Park and Mt Diablo are great big areas where you can tool around for days.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I just got back from Mt. San Gorgonio (11,500 ft) and I noticed something that I did not notice on Baldy (10,064 ft).

Baldy was a piece of cake hike with zero issues. However, on Gorgonio, I felt something happening with my eyes.
1. When looking at the blue sky for an extended period of time, I would see a faint moving grainy film, similar to the "war of the ants" noise you can see in TV, except much weaker.
2. When turning my head around to see what was behind me, I would see black for a very short period of time (< 1 second)
3. Upon returning, I noticed I had blood shot eyes.

The hike started at ~6000 ft, and I hiked to the peak and back in one day. While I did have plenty of fluids (4 liters), each water bottle had electrolyte tablets and I had very little sleep the night before.

Were my symptoms normal?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Nope. Not for only 12k feet.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Verman posted:

Nope. Not for only 12k feet.

So what did I do wrong?

Too little rest? Too many electrolytes? Poor physical condition?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

So what did I do wrong?

Too little rest? Too many electrolytes? Poor physical condition?

You should see a doc. None of the symptoms you listed are signs of AMS.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

remote control carnivore posted:

You should see a doc. None of the symptoms you listed are signs of AMS.

:sigh:

Not even symptoms of fatigue or exhaustion?

gently caress.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We're considering a little trip through the Utah national parks and sights (plus Grand Canyon). Our plan is to do it in January, partly because of our schedules and partly to avoid crowds. We're looking for (day) hiking and sightseeing, not backpacking.

We were originally going to camp. However I discovered that some campervan companies are surprisingly cheap during winter. Like the same cost as renting a normal SUV, which we'd have to do anyway.

(1) Has anyone been to these areas in winter (Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, etc)? From my early research, it doesn't look like they get a ton of snow, and what little they do is short-lived? Should I be concerned about driving a van (not big RV) without AWD/4WD in those areas in January? I'll bring chains to be safe, but I'd prefer not to use them.

(2) Any must-do hikes or sights to definitely see? I haven't been to the area since I was a kid decades ago. We're interested in day hikes up to ~15 miles (or less), interesting sights, and avoiding crowds. Although I don't anticipate terrible crowds in winter.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I went to Grand Canyon for new years two years ago and it was fine driving my lovely Volvo S40 around without chains on. My wife and I are planning on going back in January as well since it was pretty neat last time.

It snowed a bit one night of the three we were there and was windy, but nothing terrible. Just consistently 30-34F all day and night.

For the hiking at GC make sure you get YakTrax or something of the sort. It's slippery as gently caress on the mud going up and down the trails.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

Our plan is to do it in January,

a lot of stuff will be closed in the Winter, including roads.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Bottom Liner posted:

This is definitely a concern of mine. I know some (but not all) visitor centers and campgrounds will be closed, as well as the entire north rim of the grand canyon. The national park websites for the various parks seem to overall encourage visiting in winter, though.

Is there a particular area or set of roads you were thinking of?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Bottom Liner posted:

As a Canadian, I still can't wrap my head around this concept and it befuddles me every time I go to the USA.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rime posted:

As a Canadian, I still can't wrap my head around this concept and it befuddles me every time I go to the USA.

As an American, let me just say, "we can't fuckin' drive".

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

incogneato posted:

We're considering a little trip through the Utah national parks and sights (plus Grand Canyon). Our plan is to do it in January, partly because of our schedules and partly to avoid crowds. We're looking for (day) hiking and sightseeing, not backpacking.

We were originally going to camp. However I discovered that some campervan companies are surprisingly cheap during winter. Like the same cost as renting a normal SUV, which we'd have to do anyway.

(1) Has anyone been to these areas in winter (Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, etc)? From my early research, it doesn't look like they get a ton of snow, and what little they do is short-lived? Should I be concerned about driving a van (not big RV) without AWD/4WD in those areas in January? I'll bring chains to be safe, but I'd prefer not to use them.

(2) Any must-do hikes or sights to definitely see? I haven't been to the area since I was a kid decades ago. We're interested in day hikes up to ~15 miles (or less), interesting sights, and avoiding crowds. Although I don't anticipate terrible crowds in winter.

Winter is a perfect time to visit, it's not broiling hot and you'll avoid all the crowds. I would add Moab to your list--Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point, and Mesa Verde are right nearby. I just did Grand Canyon earlier this year and I think you'll have a great hike virtually anywhere you go in the park. I think that during the winter you can even drive out along where the shuttles normally run to hermits rest and visit the scenic pulloffs and hikes there if you wanted to avoid Bright Angel, which is probably the most used trail in the park.

I would avoid the Boucher Trail though, especially in the winter:

I believe the hermits rest trail is the one in the distance, just to give you an idea:

This is what snow in April looks like:

The view from right under Yuma Point:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Just got back from Grand Canyon for the first time. Did bright angel to Indian Gardens and it was a real pain in the rear end with all the people. I move quick (did round trip in ~3.5-hours), and having to pass people constantly got old quick, especially towards the top where you have the tour groups and day trippers.

Next time I want to try for the river, or even worse a traverse if I am in shape for it. They strongly discourage it, but I also think it is because most people who visit don't have much experience. Also, gently caress that poo poo in the Summer. October was perfect weather.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm going for a r2r2r run in the Spring and trying to plan my trip around the weather. Anyone with spring experience know what the weather is like late march?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm going for a r2r2r run in the Spring and trying to plan my trip around the weather. Anyone with spring experience know what the weather is like late march?

You've probably already seen it, but this might be a useful starting point for you:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/weather-condition.htm#CP_JUMP_2664461