Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is tangential but I'm still angry that pretty much no RPGs use hyperlinks in their official PDFs whenever it'd make sense to link back to relevant rules.

One good thing I'll say about Invisible Sun: The PDFs are properly hyperlinked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nacon
May 7, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is tangential but I'm still angry that pretty much no RPGs use hyperlinks in their official PDFs whenever it'd make sense to link back to relevant rules.

It was painful during the Exalted 3rd Edition production when they were talking about changing page number references manually. That's a problem that has been solved since 1983, in digital formats (LaTeX).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ratoslov posted:

Considering "Walking up to your DM on the street, pulling out your phone, and resolving an action" is a 'feature' of the game it would be pretty terrible if they weren't hyperlinked.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Artistic value? Dragon's dead, statue's tripled in value after that. Rich people love dead artists.

Sell it to some rich gently caress 'as-is, where-is' and he can arrange delivery. I mean, come on, that's what rogues are -for-.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ratoslov posted:

That makes a lot of sense, honestly. It's a lot more practical than the sidebar citations method that the Numenera/The Strange books use, which ultimately leads to a lot of wasted page space when they don't put citations in at every convenient point. Or worse, when they only cite the first page a rule/concept is mentioned and it's often not the point in the book that has the necessary clarifying information you want.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

nacon posted:

It was painful during the Exalted 3rd Edition production when they were talking about changing page number references manually. That's a problem that has been solved since 1983, in digital formats (LaTeX).

And wasnt it a feature that was in the specific program that they were using, and I remember hearing that someone posted a step by step guide on how to do it for them?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Communist Zombie posted:

And wasnt it a feature that was in the specific program that they were using, and I remember hearing that someone posted a step by step guide on how to do it for them?

InDesign has been capable of living references for about a decade, but OPP is still having writers create documents with the same extremely simple markup WWish books have been using for literal decades. Considering the turnover, I wouldn't relish trying to wrangle more complex markup for dozens and dozens of writers turning in hundreds of documents all probably formatted just a little bit wrong.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

That Old Tree posted:

InDesign has been capable of living references for about a decade, but OPP is still having writers create documents with the same extremely simple markup WWish books have been using for literal decades. Considering the turnover, I wouldn't relish trying to wrangle more complex markup for dozens and dozens of writers turning in hundreds of documents all probably formatted just a little bit wrong.

I could have sworn that some OPP folks had busted this myth, and that they did use living references and proper markup.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Wait, I thought Invisible Sun wasn't coming out in pdf? Or is that a backers only thing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That Old Tree posted:

InDesign was capable of embedded page references at least as early as when I learned it in college, and I graduated in 2000, so 19+ years now. You can also do this in Microsoft Word. In some of those really old applications you had to actually click on something and tell it to update page references rather than it doing it totally automatically, but that's still fairly automated.

You don't have to use an authoring environment that exposes markup to the writer, really. I can't think of a word processor or authoring environment that doesn't offer some method of automated internal cross-references (and indexing, for that matter). It really just comes down to people not knowing how to use the feature and not bothering to find out.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, I thought Invisible Sun wasn't coming out in pdf? Or is that a backers only thing?

Its a backer only thing for one of the books. You super can't play it with just that book, which is pretty weird, considering every other page has a sidebar pointing you to another book to explain what everything means since it's got more made up words per page than a bottom tier Tolkien knockoff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Sell it to some rich gently caress 'as-is, where-is' and he can arrange delivery. I mean, come on, that's what rogues are -for-.

Given Hackmaster's tone and setting, that rich bastard would turn the whole dungeon into a shrine / amusement park / resort that returns triple whatever he paid on a monthly basis.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I played FantasyCraft once in a toxx game where everyone committed to finish and whoever quit first ate a ban. The GM was the one who did it after resolving a single turn from my PC required both of us to be online a full hour and a half to process my combat tricks and equipment effects, which I had to resolve in order because whether I used a given trick and succeeded affected how the rest of the turn played out. I'm sure it's a fine system IRL, but in PbP/IRC it's completely nonfunctional.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?835849-New-Ban-Do-Not-Post-In-Support-of-Trump-or-his-Administration

quote:

Policy outline:
1. We are banning support of the administration of President Trump. You can still post on RPG.net even if you do in fact support the administration — you just can't talk about it here.
2. We are absolutely not endorsing the Democrats nor are we banning all Republicans.
3. We are certainly not banning conservative politics, or anything on the spectrum of reasonable political viewpoints. We assert that hate groups and intolerance are categorically different from other types of political positions, and that confusing the two legitimizes bigotry and hatred.
4. We are not going to have a purge — we will not be banning people for past support. Though if your profile picture is yourself in a MAGA hat, this might be a good time to change it.
5. We will not permit witch-hunts, progressive loyalty-testing, or attempting to bait another into admitting support for President Trump in order to get them banned. The mod staff will deal harshly with attempts to weaponize this policy.
6. It is not open season on conservatives, and revenge fantasies against Trump and Trump supporters are still against the rules.

Wow, bold move by the rpg.net admins.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This owns

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

7. GRITTY RULES

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's a lot of discussion in that thread that's mostly MAGA hat wearers trying to figure out exactly how far they can go without getting hammered down. Like it's okay to openly support his policies so long as they don't touch on the itemized list of things that RPG.net opposes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I don't love RPG.net, but I'm glad to see they're taking the step everyone needs to.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Kurieg posted:

There's a lot of discussion in that thread that's mostly MAGA hat wearers trying to figure out exactly how far they can go without getting hammered down. Like it's okay to openly support his policies so long as they don't touch on the itemized list of things that RPG.net opposes.

It's like the mentality of a bratty ten-year-old, after being told, "Stop hitting your sister."

"Well can I do this?" *pinches sister*

"No, obviously."

"Well can I do this?" *frantically waves hand one millimeter from sister's face*

"Don't make me come back there."

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 29, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not really sure how you can square "we want to be an open and accepting social community where normally marginalized people can feel comfortable" with "and we allow people to openly praise and support the Trump administration" so this seems like a pretty inevitable endpoint.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Gotta say, I never thought rpgnet would be the place to take a strong stand against white supremacy, but I'm glad the mod team chose to do this. Much respect to them for this decision!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

It's like the mentality of a bratty ten-year-old, after being told, "Stop hitting your sister."

"Well can I do this?" *pinches sister*

"No, obviously."

"Well can I do this?" *frantically waves hand one millimeter from sister's face*

"Don't make me come back there."
That's pretty much every global "stop being assholes" policy RPGNet has ever enacted. People coming out of the woodwork to ask where the lines are because they just can't not talk about whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I for one welcome admin gritty

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's pretty much every global "stop being assholes" policy RPGNet has ever enacted. People coming out of the woodwork to ask where the lines are because they just can't not talk about whatever.

It's because assholes and weirdos don't like knowing that there's be consequences for posting that way and want to rules lawyer their way out of it. Something pretty similar just happened a couple months ago in QCS when someone asked if there could be a blanket "Don't be a goddamn creep" rule on SA.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Example: "How are you different from those who German Jews used to fear, or those who Coptic and Chinese Christians now fear? How is this not hypocrisy? How does this ban build us as a community?"

And then one of the mods responds, "We're against the ones putting kids in camps, so there's that."

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dawgstar posted:

Example: "How are you different from those who German Jews used to fear, or those who Coptic and Chinese Christians now fear? How is this not hypocrisy? How does this ban build us as a community?"

And then one of the mods responds, "We're against the ones putting kids in camps, so there's that."

Other example: "Congrats, you are now left wing fascists that cannot accept that people might have a view you do not like"

Dude must really like being able to say he supports putting children in cages or something. An elf-pretend game forum telling him he can't say that there makes them fascists, somehow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"How are you, declaring rules of behavior for a private internet forum, any different than the people who rounded up specific ethic groups and murdered them en masse?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The sad thing is this isn't any different from any other time RPGnet's enacted any sort of policy change, there's always gotta be someone who thinks they're saying truth to power with the "but isn't this censorship???" card.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The new policy is unexpected, but welcome, and probably unavoidable. Like I don't think anyone COULD make any kind of argument for the Trump Administration on RPG.net without inevitably breaking the rules already in place, so may as well nip it in the bud.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

I never post anything political and have never felt the desire to do so, so this won’t affect me at all.

However, I find the idea of banning people for posting something in support of an administration that was voted in by the American people - in forums with political discussion, censorship in the extreme and absurdity of the highest order.

I do thank you for your response.

"This won't affect me at all and I Totally Don't Care but let me tell you what I think about it anyway."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is the funniest goddamn honeypot.

E: like it’s not meant to be one but apparently anything can be a honeypot if you’re a lovely enough person

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 30, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

"This won't affect me at all and I Totally Don't Care but let me tell you what I think about it anyway."

Pictured: The typical post of somebody in Trouble Tickets.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wonder which forums all the dung beetles will roll off to this time.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wonder which forums all the dung beetles will roll off to this time.

RPGsite, like they always do.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Eh, I'm actually kinda stumped why they won't permaban on request over there. Seems like a weird loving thing when they literally permabanned two people for flouncing - and I said as much over there.

And while I'm relishing the Trump-lover tears over there ... I'm thinking there are some dangerous waters starting to churn. No, not in a 'mah free speech!' kind of a way, but in an actually real legal way. Unfortunately, the GDPR actually is a loving nightmare universe for online forums, and you'd better believe chuds like whoever that annunaki dude is, assuming he is actually a citizen of the EU, are going to leverage it if it means hurting a site that's both anti-fascism and - by all appearances - non-compliant with that crazy law.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Eh, I'm actually kinda stumped why they won't permaban on request over there. Seems like a weird loving thing when they literally permabanned two people for flouncing - and I said as much over there.

RPGnet perhaps naively assumes that someone who dislikes their forum isn't so mentally ill that they can't just voluntarily stop going there. Another part of it is that getting a ban from RPGnet is (or was) some weird form of counting coup for RPGsite posters and they probably feel like they have better things to do with their time than giving internet elfgame weirdos a merit badge.

e; also the guy who keeps pestering about it doesn't just want his account banned, he wants every post he's every made scrubbed from the forums as well which is another kettle of fish.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 30, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

RPGnet perhaps naively assumes that someone who dislikes their forum isn't so mentally ill that they can't just voluntarily stop going there. Another part of it is that getting a ban from RPGnet is (or was) some weird form of counting coup for RPGsite posters and they probably feel like they have better things to do with their time than giving internet elfgame weirdos a merit badge.

e; also the guy who keeps pestering about it doesn't just want his account banned, he wants every post he's every made scrubbed from the forums as well which is another kettle of fish.

I was always under the impression the forum software wasn't set up to nuke a user's profile and posts. If you like, RPGSite will yowl about how it's to 'artificially inflate their numbers.'

You can set your watch by the single digit posters suddenly turning up to be Very Upset Indeed about this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

I was always under the impression the forum software wasn't set up to nuke a user's profile and posts. If you like, RPGSite will yowl about how it's to 'artificially inflate their numbers.'

You can set your watch by the single digit posters suddenly turning up to be Very Upset Indeed about this.

I'm sure the forum software can handle it, I know that you can at the very least manually delete things like spambots, but the question is even if it's physically possible to do so why should they have to completely nuke everything someone posted, leaving weird holes in conversations and possibly removing entire threads from existence, all because someone can't handle the onerous task of Not Visiting a Certain Website.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The only question at this point is how many more pages of whining is it going to generate before the thread gets locked.

I'm saying... five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I'm sure the forum software can handle it, I know that you can at the very least manually delete things like spambots, but the question is even if it's physically possible to do so why should they have to completely nuke everything someone posted, leaving weird holes in conversations and possibly removing entire threads from existence, all because someone can't handle the onerous task of Not Visiting a Certain Website.
The answer now is, unfortunately, "because the EU says you have to."

That chud is - near as I can tell - specifically wording his questions to try and provoke admissions of GDPR non-compliance and/or copyright violations. Which is why he's badgering and baiting instead of loving off.