Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Just to be certain, some machines will just get 'pipe blocked' and similar that just can't be solved without dismantling it? First checking if that is an actual then and second is there a way to diagnose this specific issue so I don't randomly change things till I find what is bugged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
I would love a material view. Similar to the heat map but it shows things you've built with a material so I can find where I built conductive wires with steel more easily.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Just to be certain, some machines will just get 'pipe blocked' and similar that just can't be solved without dismantling it? First checking if that is an actual then and second is there a way to diagnose this specific issue so I don't randomly change things till I find what is bugged?

Not sure on this one. When all else fails, putting an extra pipe bridge between the output and the line it will travel on usually solves the problem. In my last runthrough for sinks and lavatories I just plumbed them in a straight line, but for showers I had to bridge off the inputs/outputs for each individual shower to get them to work right.

For overlays, I'd like a gas view overlay. It can be hard to track down small pockets of gas normally, and when using tempshift plates or drywall you can only tell which gas is present by mousing over.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Pressure. I find myself wanting a gas pressure overlay often.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Isn't the intensity of the blue and red in the oxygen overlay pressure?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Nah that’s just breathability.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not near a computer but I don’t think there are shades of red.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sanguinaire posted:

I would love a material view. Similar to the heat map but it shows things you've built with a material so I can find where I built conductive wires with steel more easily.
For the love of god this. I hate knowing I spent something I need somewhere but not knowing where.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Pressure. I find myself wanting a gas pressure overlay often.
I'd like to be able to select a gas and see everywhere that has is and how much of it there is.

You could probably roll these into one button. Click -> select material type -> select material -> only see things of that material and what density they're at.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how many electrolyzers do I need for 10 dupes? I've got 6 in a small room at the top of my base (to keep heat away), and I pump all the hydrogen into generators and I pump the oxygen out around my base, but it's not enough. I've got highly breathable air in the contained room, and then everywhere else is dark blue cause the ventilation pipes just can't keep up. what can I do to more effectively distribute oxygen around the base, cause I don't think a single pump cuts it, but then the pipe itself bottlenecks distribution cause pipes can only let a certain amount flow through

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
It's one electrolyzer per 8 dupes.

Make sure you've got airflow tiles or space in your base for gasses to move around. I prefer 3 wide on the airflow tiles/gaps for reasonably quick gas movement.

Do you have a screenshot?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've hosed up then, I place one airflow tile every 10 tiles across, more if there's an enclosed room beneath it (like a bedroom etc). I guess I'll start using 3-wide airflow tiles. cause drat, 1:8 and I've got 6:10 and still not enough O2 production circulating around. oxygen ventilation is pretty atrocious if you use pumps, so I might scrap that and just make my hydrogen generator room entirely out of airflow tiles, but the reason I enclosed it originally was to stop heat spreading throughout my base.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
You can still enclose it. Here's an easy way early on:

The enclosed pump goes to a gas filter. Hydrogen goes to the generator, everything else goes to a single gas outlet in the base.

Later, you can optimize with atmosphere switches and such. You'll need to cool the O2 output at some point as well, but I haven't dug into the cold biome for wheezeworts yet. Don't dump the hot O2 near your plants.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Plant body temperature is affected by the temperature of the water you feed them way more than the temperature of the atmosphere they are in.

But yes, you should still cool things down when possible and try to keep the core of your base around 25 C, and your plant room around 20 C.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
With the above oxygen room, snake the output pipe through a reservoir of water and use either granite or radiant piping for it. It's free chilling, and you can dump ice in it to keep it going for quite awhile.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Qubee posted:

I've hosed up then, I place one airflow tile every 10 tiles across, more if there's an enclosed room beneath it (like a bedroom etc). I guess I'll start using 3-wide airflow tiles. cause drat, 1:8 and I've got 6:10 and still not enough O2 production circulating around. oxygen ventilation is pretty atrocious if you use pumps, so I might scrap that and just make my hydrogen generator room entirely out of airflow tiles, but the reason I enclosed it originally was to stop heat spreading throughout my base.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'if you use pumps', a screen shot would really help narrow down what you're talking about. Of the ventilation layer especially.

If you're not getting enough oxygen out of 6 electrolyzers you're doing something incredibly wrong, either you're trying to feed them all into one pipe and they're not all actually producing or you've got a gas overpressure somewhere that again is stopping them from producing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

insta posted:

With the above oxygen room, snake the output pipe through a reservoir of water and use either granite or radiant piping for it. It's free chilling, and you can dump ice in it to keep it going for quite awhile.

You need to be careful with this because the cooling isn't actually "free", since the 70 C gas that is being cooled will eventually heat up your water, and that will wilt your plants.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Nothing wrong with bringing slime back to base. Indeed, you need to do that if you have a mushroom farm. Otherwise, every time your mushrooms need slime, your dupes will carry it all the way from outside the base and it will spread slimelung all over the place.

Lately I've been building my mushroom farms outside the airlock, and making the farmer wear a exosuit. Toxic farming!

Even before that though I don't think I had anyone come down with slimelung. The worst was digging into a new biome and having them walk the slime across my base to the storage cabinet on the other side.

To be honest I just really really don't like the green germs in the display.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 30, 2018

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The only time I've had a catastrophic slimelung event was when I was digging out a section of swamp, and there was a tiny vacuum pocket which had three million slimelung germs per tile. I didn't notice this beforehand and when I breached it caused slimelung to spew absolutely everywhere. By the end of the cycle literally everyone was incapacitated and I ended up having to reload.

My first couple games I would have one or two people get sick with it occasionally, but I started dumping deodorizers everywhere and sealing off any polluted water pockets and I haven't had anyone get sick since.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just realized, at cycle 310, that my map has zero pufts. :wtc:

Oh well, not like I use them for anything.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

You need to be careful with this because the cooling isn't actually "free", since the 70 C gas that is being cooled will eventually heat up your water, and that will wilt your plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2taViFH_6_Y

I just mine out an ice biome. SOLVES THE PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Oh god I didn't realize there was an ONI thread, this game has consumed me for the better part of the last couple months.

1 pump is not enough for an electrolyzers output, you need 2 pumps minimum. I use 3 w/ atmo sensors, in a variant of the SPOM poo poo from the official forums but made to work smoothly in regular games and not creative, using granite and cheap materials but more effectively. Using bridges you can fill the room with hydrogen to drive the cooling after the pipe to the generator is full, then just leave it as it will block itself from overpressure. Put an air tile on the bottom under a wheezewort and the hydrogen pressure will drive out all other gasses, swap back once you start to see hydrogen leak out the bottom/no other gas is in the room in the viewer.

Outputs oxygen at 60°F using regular granite piping and granite tempshift plates and no machine is above 100°F. Can go pretty decently lower with gold amalgam or copper tempshift but its a lot of even raw metal. Produces 450-500kg of oxygen per cycle when not blocked by full oxygen pipes. On a side note oxygen vents don't have any problems filling any volume of space to 1.8k-2k pressure, you need to make sure you're enclosing the area if you need to maintain that pressure and that your electrolyzer isn't off 90% the time from overpressure. It's why you need 2+ pumps. Running 6 electrolyzers with decent uptime is ~6kg of water a second, I'm not sure how you could possibly sustain that for very long without like 3 excellent steam/water geysers that are also heat managed.

EDIT: (Ignore plugs, just loaded the game)

EDIT 2: From last page, but here's my mushroom farm. I just plant it at the bottom of my base and grow mealwood there till I have a comfortable amonut of slime. I have a 4-5 tile deep room outside my main base area's waterlocks that I filled with chlorine, so long as you make the door on the roof of that room the chlorine should stay in forever, if you can get above 1.8k pressure in there from chlorine/bleach stone, the slime doesnt offgas. Chlorine loving murders slimelung so I just set this room to high priority until I'm done clearing new slimy areas, then check the storage lockers + drop the priority to less than the one in my base proper. It will get transferred there in time, clean and in water not offgassing. You could absolutely automate it to be way more efficient I'm just not that the point yet, probably going to rebuild everything once I have a good amount of plastic going.

You need ~3 mushrooms (7.5 cycles per growth, 2800 kcal from fried) per dupe w/o fert so that's enough for 11.2 dupes.

Honestly the biggest thing for gasses in my time in the game is using gravity to your advantage whenever possible. Heavy goes down, light goes up, make rooms/doorways that support this action as needed.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 30, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Qubee posted:

You need minimum 2 tiles of airflow, better 3+. Little pockets of gasses have a hard time swapping through a one tile gap, but can sort of cascade over with 2+. I don't really get it, but it is what I observe.

As far as I can tell, to keep an electrolyser going you need 2 pumps and 2 filters. 1 pump doesn't have the capacity of the output and the 2 filters (one per pump) is because the mix of gasses in the pipes sort of slows everything down. The setup doesn't have to be complicated, though, just have these elements. (i think)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Does anyone bother with the transit tubes?

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
I seem to do fine with one filter. The biggest slow down on my last base was putting my experience suit docks on the base ventilation system. They're huge consumers and were mucking the distribution up. Now I use a single cooling chamber for two electrolizer rooms routed to my base and 2-3 dick rooms.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Does anyone bother with the transit tubes?

They are incredibly useful for something like this. I put down both access stations and the tube ahead of time, then seal the gap between the two stations. This creates an airtight seal between the two stations, allowing me to excavate out the natural gas geyser without any of the gas escaping into my base. This is useful for things like steam vents or going into space without leaking heat, fluids, or gases into your base.

I also generally build a single tube to shoot my guys up to the surface of the asteroid so they don't have to do a Snake Eater ladder climb every time I need something from space.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yeah same.

They are good when you want a sealed room, usually gas related.

They are also good when you have an area you visit somewhat frequently that's a long way from your base.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They take a poo poo ton of plastic and melt pretty fast in hot areas, about my only complaints. They're definitely and end-game efficiency booster building as opposed to a vital piece of infrastructure.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

They are incredibly useful for something like this. I put down both access stations and the tube ahead of time, then seal the gap between the two stations. This creates an airtight seal between the two stations, allowing me to excavate out the natural gas geyser without any of the gas escaping into my base. This is useful for things like steam vents or going into space without leaking heat, fluids, or gases into your base.

I also generally build a single tube to shoot my guys up to the surface of the asteroid so they don't have to do a Snake Eater ladder climb every time I need something from space.

drat. I learn something new to try every day. I didn't even think of using transit tubes like this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What am I missing about showers? I could really use the morale boost but they're currently worse than completely useless. They drain water and give me nothing. I've given them an extra hour for bathroom stuff in the morning but every single one of them races to the available showers, hops in, turns them on, and hops back out in about two seconds accomplishing nothing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They are bugged. Run the output pipe of each shower through a liquid bridge before joining them together.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

What am I missing about showers? I could really use the morale boost but they're currently worse than completely useless. They drain water and give me nothing. I've given them an extra hour for bathroom stuff in the morning but every single one of them races to the available showers, hops in, turns them on, and hops back out in about two seconds accomplishing nothing.

The plumbing on showers is really hard. If you plumb them directly, they "work" as you describe. To get them to work you have to bridge the input/output for each shower. I haven't tested it, bridging only one of the input or output may be sufficient. They are buggy, but can be forced to work.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It’s not that hard, I’ll post a screenshot in a bit

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

They are bugged. Run the output pipe of each shower through a liquid bridge before joining them together.

You don't have to any more. One of the last patches fixed it, well, it says it did anyway.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/oni-alpha/

Update 291278

Fix for flush toilet constantly becoming disabled if you run the output pipe directly across the output instead of connecting to a T junction.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's definitely fixed, the water would not combine properly so you had to have the entire duration of the shower on its own line and/or use a bridge and hope it combined right or it would interrupt the task entirely as soon as the water hit another amount in the pipe. It works fine now, they combine like they should.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well the patch notes can say whatever they want, they only work now because I have bridges on the input and output so thanks camel.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yes, the bug is still there, as far as I can tell.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Weird, I saw it a couple days ago but my game last night had no issues just connecting 3 showers to the same return pipe in a pretty small area. Like it worked noticeably less lovely. Maybe needs a new game isn’t fully fixed or something? Idk. My game was crashing in the 400s nearly every other cycle also last night so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Also I have a problem of getting ~50 cycles further each game but realizing I could do something better or kind of ignoring my priorities since I’ve been able to for so long already and just starting over instead of loving with gigantic changes in an existing game. I haven’t touched most of the endgame stuff yet still because of this :v:.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 1, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

all the advice has helped my base enormously. which leads me onto my next question: what on earth are tempshift plates used for? do I just plonk a bunch of them down in a room to quickly transfer heat?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sort of. They take up a single tile to build but for the purposes of heat exchange they are 3x3 in size. Depending on the thermal conductivity of the material used, it can either be used to equalize heat or to buffer it (weathering sudden spikes of temperature a la hot geysers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

so they're most efficiently used if I place a row / column every other tile to get a full 3x3 spread? or do they work even better if I place them right beside each other?