Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

Tony Hawk isn't on the PS classic because it's going to be on the N64 classic. Even weirder is that it will be the playstation version.

Considering how sad the N64 version is I'd say that's a good call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Astro7x posted:

Full list of PSOne Classic games released

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/29/announcing-playstation-classics-full-lineup-of-20-games/

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

No Crash, Spyro, RE2, Twisted Metal 2, Parappa, Tony Hawk (1 or 2), or SOTN. wow. Toshinden and Destruction Derby are only notable for being launch titles. Does anyone really think of GTA1 when they think of Playstation? What weird decisions and omissions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No one on Earth has fond memories of playing Intelligent Qube.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Medullah posted:

I do find it funny that they're including Resident Evil: Director's Cut which was the re-release of RE for the Dual Shock :D

Nope, there was yet another re-release (Director's Cut Dual Shock Ver.) a year after Director's Cut which added Dual Shock support. The "original" Director's Cut added some new modes and restored the auto-aim they removed from the original English release

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SeANMcBAY posted:

i do but i didn't get to play a ton of games when i was a kid (outside the demo disks i'd get like 1 or 2 new games per year) so you had to make due with what you were given

IMO if square was only going to provide a single entry, they should have gone with FFT.

i'm also surprised that Battle Arena Toshinden made the list; it was a launch game for sure with the huge box, but even playing it at launch it was underwhelming. same thing with the original Odd World, which wasn't actually very much fun to play. gently caress, at that point why not include the original Gex or some other dog poo poo.

edit: i'd love to see Monster Rancher or MR2 on there but without an actual CDROM drive, the main gimmick of both those games would be lost

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 29, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do. I still wouldn't have put it in a limited collection of must haves for the PS1.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Toshinden was a really good mall/retail kiosk game. Definitely sold some systems. Never want to play it again.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

No Parappa is the big confusing thing for me. That's Sony-owned and historically a really beloved game, I don't know why it wouldn't be in here.

Crash/Spyro/Tony Hawk are all Activision and there's zero content owned by them in this thing, they don't like to get involved in this kind of stuff and they did do those trilogy remakes recently (and no longer work with Tony Hawk) so that makes some sense

Honestly I was surprised they got MGS in there, i figured Konami wouldn't be interested

it feels like this thing needs another 5 games or so to really be worthwhile, but they might not have been able to secure much else worth having if they put the stuff they did on there.

hope it's easy to hack and add more games to, because otherwise i dont think it's worth the money at all

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sea Lily posted:

No Parappa is the big confusing thing for me. That's Sony-owned and historically a really beloved game, I don't know why it wouldn't be in here.

They probably don't want to eat into sales of the PS4 "remaster"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
metal gear solid without dualshock is fine but you miss out on some codec calls and psycho mantis moving your controller with the power of his mind. so gently caress this.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

other games i wish they'd have included:
Armored Core/MoA/PP
Breath of Fire 3/4
Front Mission 3
King's Field
MegaMan X4
Tecmo's Deception
Wipeout

games i'd love to have included because they're awful
Gex the Gecko
Street Fighter 2: The Movie: The Game
Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The worst part of this lineup is that Psycho Mantis will have no way of knowing that I like Suikoden and Castlevania. :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jagged Jim posted:

The worst part of this lineup is that Psycho Mantis will have no way of knowing that I like Suikoden and Castlevania. :smith:

Do any of the digital rereleases do this?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do any of the digital rereleases do this?

The PSN release just uses digital memory cards, so as long as the save files for the other games are on there it still works.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

games i'd love to have included because they're awful
Gex the Gecko

I did like this on N64. I think some of the UI wasn't translated from the PS and there were some button prompts that still had □ △○ ✕ symbols

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Looking forwards to finding one of these in a thrift store 8 years from now so I can put Tomba! on it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looks cute for Intelligent Qube and Puzzle Fighter.

But I have at least 3 of these games on my PSTV and FF7 on Steam. So I'm also saying this is a bit of a :psyduck: selection from their catalog. Gimme Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy, damnit.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Where’s my Atlus. Where’s my Brigandine

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Vib-Ribbon with Spotify integration

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
GTA 1 and Persona 1 seem like they're just there because people like those franchises now, even though the breakout games for those series were their respective third entries on the PS2.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Sea Lily posted:

My guess is the lag introduced by this likely lovely emulation box would make the game drat near impossible to play after a few stages.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The ps1 version of tom clancy's rainbow six

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, that list seems lackluster, I just canceled my pre-order. I don't have enough love for the PS1 to go back to it. Most of the games I want got better sequels or ports.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It's almost like building your entire brand around third-parties and licensing other IPs makes trying to sell your brand's history difficult.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

In another timeline, people were playing Super Playstation Nintendo 20 years ago and there were no more console wars because Microsoft said what's the loving point

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

XtraSmiley posted:

My guess is the lag introduced by this likely lovely emulation box would make the game drat near impossible to play after a few stages.

The emulation built into PS3 ran them like shiiiiiiit and every time a new level loaded there was a 1 in 4 chance of the music not playing at all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spellman posted:

In another timeline, people were playing Super Playstation Nintendo 20 years ago and there were no more console wars because Microsoft said what's the loving point

That's the timeline where the Dreamcast won and all games are Seaman now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mercury Crusader posted:

GTA 1 and Persona 1 seem like they're just there because people like those franchises now, even though the breakout games for those series were their respective third entries on the PS2.

GTA doesn't make much sense. It's not a particularly good or playable game, even back then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they had to pick games that fit with the terrible controller iteration they went with. Why would they make a classic console from the beginnings of 3D gaming and give it the controller without thumbsticks?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

XtraSmiley posted:

What’s Sony’s track record on emulation?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GTA has name recognition, they're definitely going to sell a few systems to people who've never played it and want to see where the series started.

Boy are they are going to be disappointed

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Good point, they should've put Driver on there too.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s Sony’s track record on emulation?

Uh, see A FUCKIN CANARY!! post above.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RandomFerret posted:

GTA has name recognition, they're definitely going to sell a few systems to people who've never played it and want to see where the series started.

Boy are they are going to be disappointed

It feels like they're trying to retcon their own history. Literally nobody gave a poo poo about GTA until GTAIII. And even then it didn't explode until word of mouth spread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Detective No. 27 posted:

It feels like they're trying to retcon their own history. Literally nobody gave a poo poo about GTA until GTAIII. And even then it didn't explode until word of mouth spread.

GTA was popular because of scary news stories about a video game where children can kill innocent people and run over crowds with a bus or whatever. I remember hearing about this game and thinking it must be really crazy. Then I saw someone play it at a family friend's house. I thought it was going to be a crazy murder simulator but it was just a top down 2D game. I ended up trying to play it and GTA2 years later, but they just weren't fun.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I played GTA 1 or 2 on LAN a few times. That was a blast in the race to get a tank and just blow poo poo up until it slowed our computers down. Thought the single player was so poorly explained that I never played more than 2-5 missions per game.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
the ps1 was only good at jrpgs - it sucked at every other genre even then. if you were going to make a good ps classic, just load FFT/7/8/9, vagrant story, lunar, dragon warrior 7, breath of fire 4, grandia, star ocean, xenogears etc. and you have a system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the ps1 was only good at jrpgs - it sucked at every other genre even then. if you were going to make a good ps classic, just load FFT/7/8/9, vagrant story, lunar, dragon warrior 7, breath of fire 4, grandia, star ocean, xenogears etc. and you have a system.

Crash, Spyro, Tekken, Bushido Blade, Bloody Roar 2 and many others would like words with you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I remember liking GTA but in that low-stakes "here's a weird bit of shareware" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

GTA 1 and Persona 1 being on the PlayStation Classic would be like if Metal Gear was on the NES Classic.