Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Cannot freaking wait for monster Baru Cormorant. Reread the first one, still amazing.

E: tried reading a Brin uplift book (the second one) after enjoying children of time. This is a bit of a struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gvibes posted:

Cannot freaking wait for monster Baru Cormorant. Reread the first one, still amazing.

E: tried reading a Brin uplift book (the second one) after enjoying children of time. This is a bit of a struggle.

Try The Crucible of Time by John Brunner instead.

I mean, it's also not as good as Children of Time, but it's a lot more similar than the Uplift books are, and it doesn't poo poo the bed at the end as a lot of Brin's books do.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

gvibes posted:

Me too, I finished my re-read a few days ago in anticipation for the sequel coming out on the 30th.

I was in the mood for more, so I read some of Seth's blog posts where he does a chapter by chapter synopsis of his writing process. He only wen't up to Chapter 5 but it did a real good job of showing how there is a lot more going on than what the reader gets to experience.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I agree. Modern media is practically propaganda with a side order of "appealing to a wider audience." Same with AAA game publishers. By appealing to as many people as possible instead of a specific audience, they have to dumb down material in order so that the least capable in the audience won't get discouraged and leave. So its jangling keys, bouncing tits, orchestral stings, lens flares, explosions, and drama/action every moment all smooshed together in a plot that reads like a tumblr post mated with r/politics. Tada! Weak men, cucking, 'strong independent wymyns that don't need no man,' purple haired lesbians mocking men all the time, women who solve all the mens problems because men are useless trash, 'ask me about my SJW agenda,' diversity is our strength, and so on. Its pretty much why I prefer my harem fantasy because at least the male characters aren't useless most of the time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

#gamersreadup

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I agree. Modern media is practically propaganda with a side order of "appealing to a wider audience." Same with AAA game publishers. By appealing to as many people as possible instead of a specific audience, they have to dumb down material in order so that the least capable in the audience won't get discouraged and leave. So its jangling keys, bouncing tits, orchestral stings, lens flares, explosions, and drama/action every moment all smooshed together in a plot that reads like a tumblr post mated with r/politics. Tada! Weak men, cucking, 'strong independent wymyns that don't need no man,' purple haired lesbians mocking men all the time, women who solve all the mens problems because men are useless trash, 'ask me about my SJW agenda,' diversity is our strength, and so on. Its pretty much why I prefer my harem fantasy because at least the male characters aren't useless most of the time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quorce your sotes

e: Startide Rising was the great book of my childhood

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I want to be put in stasis until Monster Baru Cormorant comes out on Tuesday

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

yall are reminding me I need to do a full Uplift read-through at some point

Startide obviously is great
The Uplift War is a bit rough in places but still interesting
I've not read Sundiver and have heard it is bad, but I doubt anything that produced those two sequels would be totally not worth a read

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sundiver is good, just not as good, and quite different in style IIRC? It's a murder mystery sort of thing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah Sundiver is the weakest of the three, but it's still fun.

minema
May 31, 2011
I'm looking forward to the next Baru Cormorant book but I'm in the UK and can't seem to find a way to buy it on release!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The most bullshit sounding thing in Brin's Sundiver is actually plausible and does work.

Talking about the huge laser beam heat sink in Sundiver

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

minema posted:

I'm looking forward to the next Baru Cormorant book but I'm in the UK and can't seem to find a way to buy it on release!

Truly why she is the monster, after all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The most bullshit sounding thing in Brin's Sundiver is actually plausible and does work.

It's not plausible because it violates thermodynamics. You can't turn high-entropy blackbody radiation at 6K into low-entropy collimated narrowband laser energy at "millions of degrees" without the generation of even more heat.

Imagine that it works and cools the ship. Then we put a mirror outside the sun, reflecting the laser back into the sun. The sun would get hotter. It's a perpetual motion machine, it's thermodynamically forbidden.

There are real-world "laser coolers" but they don't work that way at all. They involve shining a laser beam on the thing you want to cool down.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

meinstein posted:

I name my computers after Neuromancer characters. Just yesterday, I set up a service called pi-hole on my home network that spoofs known advertising web servers to block ads at the network level. Called it Riviera of course.

Cardiac posted:

That and Blade Runner names have been a common factor in the networks I have used. I blame scientists.

Hah, I like those ideas. I always end up with lame and/or generic names for my 'puters; my home rig (8700k/1080ti/970 evo/32gb ram) I just called "Beast Rig" like an idiot. All my machines at my warehouse/facility on my network I just give generic, formulaic names -- DD-RigXX etc. Now I feel like I need to up my naming game

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
I saw a Wi-Fi network called “We Can Hear You loving” in a neighborhood of duplexes, does anyone know what skeevy sci-if book inspired that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drone Jett posted:

I saw a Wi-Fi network called “We Can Hear You loving” in a neighborhood of duplexes, does anyone know what skeevy sci-if book inspired that.

sounds like heinlein

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Phanatic posted:

It's not plausible because it violates thermodynamics. You can't turn high-entropy blackbody radiation at 6K into low-entropy collimated narrowband laser energy at "millions of degrees" without the generation of even more heat.

Imagine that it works and cools the ship. Then we put a mirror outside the sun, reflecting the laser back into the sun. The sun would get hotter. It's a perpetual motion machine, it's thermodynamically forbidden.

There are real-world "laser coolers" but they don't work that way at all. They involve shining a laser beam on the thing you want to cool down.

?? Thermodynamics complaints in a science fiction novel where forcefields exist + FTL works?
Rebolding the science-fiction novel part for you. If you were trolling, welp excellent work.

As you said, real-world "laser coolers" exist(plausible), and they work in very special conditions.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 29, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

No, they don’t work at all. Like quantum black holes they’re one of those things science fiction writers got really excited about for a little while and then quietly retired. I think Battletech had to do some gymnastics to pretend their laser heat sinks had worked differently all along.

Real life laser cooling still produces more heat from the laser than it removes from the target, so it’s not much good to you if the laser is inside the ship you’re cooling. But it does have awesome technique names like ‘Sisyphus cooling’ and ‘gray molasses’

Of course the best laser in Sundiver is the alien with the secret laser eyes

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Ugh, Rimrunners kinda sucked. I was pretty excited after Pride, but that book was a mess.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Uh he and I both interpreted your post as saying the laser heat sink sounds like bullshit but actually works. It sounds like you meant the opposite. It was legitimately worded unclearly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

?? Thermodynamics complaints in a science fiction novel where forcefields exist + FTL works?
Rebolding the science-fiction novel part for you. If you were trolling, welp excellent work.

You're the one who brought it up and said it works in the real world. It doesn't, and it can't. It's fine in a SF novel where forcefields and FTL work, but it's not real-world physically possible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Of course the best laser in Sundiver is the alien with the secret laser eyes
Absolutely. That book has a special place in my heart for:

A) pulling that play late in the 4th QTR
B) making me go "of course!" when really I should have gone "bwah?"

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Phanatic posted:

You're the one who brought it up and said it works in the real world. It doesn't, and it can't. It's fine in a SF novel where forcefields and FTL work, but it's not real-world physically possible.

I seem to recall there was some sort of time dilation/manipulation going on to make the ship work too (remember the chimp test pilot laughing about having lunch in 15 seconds or something like that), I could buy that mucking with the heat transfer rate to make the math OK. To be fair, I forgive a lot for a climax where their biggest problem is freezing to death in the middle of the sun :D .

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sorry for being excited and oh poo poo unclear about the bullshit sounding "laser heat sink" plot device in Brin's Sundiver 100% real-ness status.
It would be cool if laser-cooling was more real-world applicable. The sagas of fusion power always being 10 years around the corner + the james webb space telescope being stuck in development hell since the mid-1990s are my biggest big-project science disappointments.

Vaguely recall the laser cooling device in Sundiver being directed into the corona or near-corona zone of the sun/not the actual surface of the sun in book, but I read Sundiver 3 or 4 years ago, and mostly remember uplifted dolphins/chimps/dogs, the beginning of uplifted intelligence vs evolved intelligence conflict that makes the Uplift War series so very weird, and what MadDogMike said about freezing to death in the suns corona.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The greatest failure of the Uplift series is generalized lack of uplifted dogs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The greatest failure of the Uplift series is generalized lack of uplifted dogs.

Nobody wants talking dogs :(

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Dogs are explicitly mentioned as undergoing uplift but are early in the process, having been started later as they were less human-like than chimps and dumber than dolphins

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

andrew smash posted:

Dogs are explicitly mentioned as undergoing uplift but are early in the process, having been started later as they were less human-like than chimps and dumber than dolphins

I thought the galactic powers had banned further uplift, but it was implied that this was controversial and perhaps partially underway already when the (unenforceable, prior to the big war?) ban came down. Two decades later I remember some line about humanity’s special relationship with dogs, and I think one other species may have been in progress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

andrew smash posted:

I mean on screen viewpoint characters. It's explained sure but it's still a missed opportunity.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

One day until Baru

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Drone Jett posted:

I thought the galactic powers had banned further uplift, but it was implied that this was controversial and perhaps partially underway already when the (unenforceable, prior to the big war?) ban came down. Two decades later I remember some line about humanity’s special relationship with dogs, and I think one other species may have been in progress.

The secret gorilla uplift project in Uplift War.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hell Ship by Philip Palmer remains one of the most depressing books I have ever read.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

One day until Baru

I'm wrapping up the third book now (should have it in by end of year) so if you live post your criticism I can kill off thinly disguised versions of you in a spiteful rage try to clarify/explain poo poo in the net book.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I'm wrapping up the third book now (should have it in by end of year) so if you live post your criticism I can kill off thinly disguised versions of you in a spiteful rage try to clarify/explain poo poo in the net book.

:lol::lol:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Don’t kill him, do something like making him a micropenis-having infant rapist like Michael Creighton did with his critics!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got a google notification not long after midnight telling me that The Monster was out, and here I am 12 hours later still not able to buy it :mad:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Hmm, doesn't seem to be a Monster Baru Cormorant Kindle version, at least in the UK Amazon store, even for pre-order.

minema
May 31, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

Hmm, doesn't seem to be a Monster Baru Cormorant Kindle version, at least in the UK Amazon store, even for pre-order.

And the hard copy can be pre-ordered but it says it won't be delivered for a month :(

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

General Battuta posted:

If Nikita Khrushchev shows up in the third book I'll be thrilled :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

andrew smash posted:

The chimp in startide rising complains early on, wishing they had uplifted dogs before dolphins, if I correctly recall what I read two days ago (probably not).

General Battuta posted:

Looking forward to more writers block rage-tweets in the coming days.