Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Now if the ALP were smart, they'd sit down with the CPSU and get their ducks in a row, and launch a solid campaign on the disinformation and bad math at play here

But instead they'll just come up with a lovely slogan, that doesn't effectively counter the argument that "Well Centrelink are poo poo, so lets try their way".

I think the general public just hate Centrelink way too much honestly. Any positive campaigns are just met with so much negativity I think it's more a matter of why bother you can't win. I am constantly amazed how much DHS is used as a punching bag by both parties cause of how easy a target Centrelink is when the government writes the rules. Even the ATO or ABS after the Census stuff up don't have anywhere near the hostility aimed at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

naeka posted:

I think the general public just hate Centrelink way too much honestly. Any positive campaigns are just met with so much negativity I think it's more a matter of why bother you can't win. I am constantly amazed how much DHS is used as a punching bag by both parties cause of how easy a target Centrelink is when the government writes the rules. Even the ATO or ABS after the Census stuff up don't have anywhere near the hostility aimed at them.

It's because centrelink payments and by association paid employees are a waste of money and I pay my taxes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

naeka posted:

It's easy to change track on that though. Centrelink aren't just the dole office anymore. You need to deal with them for Childcare subsidies, maternity leave payments, pension stuff, disability stuff.. The number of people who are having to deal with them for the first time has got to be trending upwards.

It's SO loving hard to get the maternity leave stuff set up, all sorts of little traps that add to the waiting period (like documentation requirements that nobody tells you about until you call up asking where your first payment is) that I'm positive anyone who doesn't really need it wouldn't bother going through it all, despite it being a national entitlement. The ALP brought that entitlement in, so they should be doing their best to defend it and tearing holes in the government for trying to attack it by stealth, by limiting access to Centrelink resources and making the process opaque and needlessly difficult.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

“The reality is that customers don’t really care who is answering their call, as long as it is answered quickly by someone who is capable of resolving their issue,’’ Mr Keenan said.

Ordinary Australians love talking to foreign call centre staff.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to have to deal with centrelink soon. I am not looking forward to this experience.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

I'm going to have to deal with centrelink soon. I am not looking forward to this experience.

Oh no! :(

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I’m going to be on Centrelink for the foreseeable future. I’m hosed.
I don’t feel like embedding images but Cracked just posted a photo comparing the Great Barrier Reef in 2006 to its bleached state now. It’s depressing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Remember when I took great barrier reef photos? Can someone find that post?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

I mean Centrelink has been poo poo for awhile but it has gotten considerably more poo poo under this government which seems intent on making it extremely difficult to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Buddy, you get this is all on purpose, right?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Count Chocula posted:

I’m going to be on Centrelink for the foreseeable future. I’m hosed.
I don’t feel like embedding images but Cracked just posted a photo comparing the Great Barrier Reef in 2006 to its bleached state now. It’s depressing.

Don't worry it's not just coral we're annihilating.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/30/humanity-wiped-out-animals-since-1970-major-report-finds

Guardian AU posted:

Humanity has wiped out 60% of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles since 1970, leading the world’s foremost experts to warn that the annihilation of wildlife is now an emergency that threatens civilisation.

I remember there being a lot of hoops to jump through to get onto centrelink last time I was on it in 2004 but once I was on, it not being too bad reporting wise. I wonder how much it has degraded in the 15 years since then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

Don't worry it's not just coral we're annihilating.
And don't forget the bees.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

They've done the same to the ndiS . I have a bit of contact with them thru work and I don't know of anybody that's successfully received anything from them. Every enquiry goes around in circles things are required multiple times only to have contact staff swapped out requiring you to begin the entire process again. it's a fake department, it's just a facade like a bank in the background of a western

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Anidav posted:

Contractors found to be more efficient for Centrelink call centres

Renee Viellaris, The Courier-Mail

HUNDREDS of new Centrelink call centre jobs will be privatised with a secret report revealing contractors are faster, more efficient and take fewer sickies than union-protected public servants.

The Morrison Government will today reveal it will outsource 800 call centre workers in Brisbane to plough through the tens of millions of calls made to Centrelink each year.

Human Services Minister Michael Keenan said while Centrelink staff answered most of the one million calls it received a week within the target of less than 16 minutes, he wanted it to be quicker for Australians to have their inquiries answered.

Senior Australians are complaining about waiting too long to have their calls answered about their pension applications, with some stuck on hold for more than an hour.

Mr Keenan, who wants to supercharge customer service, said 800 contracted staff employed by Australian-based call centre operators, were among an extra 2500 to be hired.

“The reality is that customers don’t really care who is answering their call, as long as it is answered quickly by someone who is capable of resolving their issue,’’ Mr Keenan said.

He said Labor introduced a call centre outsourcing model for the Australian Taxation Office in 2008.

The Coalition Government has trialled using 250 staff, who have been trained to take Centrelink calls, through private firm Serco.

The confidential review by KPMG is believed to have found that contractors took 44 per cent more calls than Centrelink staff; had 28 per cent less downtime after taking a call; took 3.5 per cent less unscheduled leave; and were 13.5 per cent more efficient.

Mr Keenan said the 250 Serco staff had answered more than 3.2 million calls in the past year and busy signals had been cut by 40 per cent.

“This dispels many of the myths perpetuated by Labor that outsourcing leads to higher costs and reduced standards of service,’’ he said.

“Labor has vowed to scrap the use of contract staff if it wins Government and will instead hire 1200 public servants to replace them.”

OTOH, I had an interaction with Centrelink this year. The first operator, and their escalation point, were quoting things that didn't exist or had been superseded, misreading regulations, and contradicting rulings that applied the case in question. But hey, they answered the phone more often, apparently that's all that counts.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And don't forget the bees.

Just last night my father bragged over the phone just how big and busy, noisy a bee hive he had in the kitchen wall and then how many cans of insect killer he went through hosing it down. I was loving speechless. loving boomers, man.

E: probably single handed halved the bee population of Western Australia in one afternoon :ughh:

dirtgolem fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 30, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

dirtgolem posted:

Just last night my father bragged over the phone just how big and busy, noisy a bee hive he had in the kitchen wall and then how many cans of insect killer he went through hosing it down. I was loving speechless. loving boomers, man.

E: probably single handed halved the bee population of Western Australia in one afternoon :ughh:

Shoulda paid the rent bees.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

dirtgolem posted:

Dress up in a bee suit and Steve Irwin your father.

I'm sorry, it has to be done.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die

hooman posted:

Dress up in a bee suit and Steve Irwin your father.

Crikey!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think Australia is the one country that doesn't have a critical issue with bees disappearing, fwiw.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
still probably shouldn’t kill them

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
i would if i could find where they're hiding that drat honey recipe

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I am going to go insane the election is weeks away yet everyone's already at 11. aaaaagh

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Alan Kohler firing up about his waifu.
https://twitter.com/AlanKohler/status/1056032824497565696?s=09

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

He's not wrong.

Actually he is wrong on one count, Gillard was the best PM we've had the past 22 years at least, possibly 27.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Don Dongington posted:

I think Australia is the one country that doesn't have a critical issue with bees disappearing, fwiw.

We don't have the quite the same problems that are affecting european honeybee populations overseas* , but we're going pretty well on loving up native bees with habitat destruction and pests. Decline in native bee populations then accelerates decline of native habitats, creating a nice feedback loop.

* yet, give the usual suspects time to gently caress it up

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
My waifu is Van Badham.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

My waifu is Van Badham.

:sever:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ALP attack ads on Matthew "the Liberals cuts " Guy on TV. They've gone back 20 years to his time as advisor to Kennett. :allears:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

I am not an expert, but I think we don't have an issue with commercial honey bees suffering colony collapse, but our native bees aren't in the best shape (due to importes honey bees loving them up).

Source: my partner read like, 4 books on bees and then bought some bee art for us to hang on the wall.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if you want an attack ad, just do an ad for that lobster restraunt and its many famous guests.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/why-matthew-guy-wanted-to-keep-his-religion-in-state-schools-plan-quiet-20181030-p50cwt.html

Matthew Guy thought he could put up reintroducing religious instruction to state schools at an ACL event and no one outside the ACL would find out about it?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ewe2 posted:

ALP attack ads on Matthew "the Liberals cuts " Guy on TV. They've gone back 20 years to his time as advisor to Kennett. :allears:

Kennett's name is toxic still so it's a good play

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Related to great barrier reef talk, one of Bolsanario's plans is to sell off the Amazon for strip mining, so don't expect much of a finger wag from our government for the butchery to come, their resource industry buds are in a goddamned slobbering frenzy for the dude

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 30, 2018

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

quote:

Trouble struck a few years later in 2014 when volunteers from Access Ministries, the main provider of Christian religious instruction, distributed "biblezines" to students which described homosexuality as a sin.

The biblezines, which were a graduation gift to students at Torquay College, claimed that girls who wear revealing clothes were inviting sexual assault and labelled masturbation and sex before marriage as sins.

Oh so standard Christian values then?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

What kind of hosed up company would run headfirst into strip mining the amazon

Obvious answer is all of them but still, that is some sickeningly bad publicity

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Edit: ^^^

The Peccadillo posted:

Related to great barrier reef talk, one of Bolsanario's plans is to sell off the Amazon for strip mining, so don't expect much of a finger wag from our government for the butchery to come, their resource industry buds are in a goddamned slobbering frenzy for the dude

I can't wait to read in 6-12 months time about Fender and Gibson execs showing up at the capital on the Monday morning after the election with briefcases full of money, looking to bargain with a literal fascist over the rights to log the last of the Brazilian rosewood.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Don Dongington posted:

I can't wait to read in 6-12 months time about Fender and Gibson execs showing up at the capital on the Monday morning after the election with briefcases full of money, looking to bargain with a literal fascist over the rights to log the last of the Brazilian rosewood.

I really wonder what they plan on doing once the stuff is all gone. I'm not sure you can really cultivate that kind of tree, and if you could it'd be a gigantic target for the ever hungry maw of capitalism.

Like how you get people targetting zoo animals for ivory.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

"Sure we destroyed a major natural habitat that lasted tens of thousands of years- But we made profits and JOBS"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

froglet posted:

I really wonder what they plan on doing once the stuff is all gone.

They don't care, they'll already be dead in luxury

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

I really wonder what they plan on doing once the stuff is all gone.

:lol:

EDIT: :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Personally I think it’s on the rest of the world to make maintaining the Amazon economically viable for Brazil :shrug:

A bunch of other nations have got rich clearing their forests, Brazil should have to support the rest of our dumb asses because of it?

• Locked thread