Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lunethex posted:

What happens when you put a Butchery in the commons area

Dwarfs have to witness hundreds of hours of animal death which gives them all horrible mental trauma until they're burned out emotionless shells. So when you send them into battle instead of freaking out at all the blood and guts and screaming they just kind of placidly go "it monday again".

dwarf fortress is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

dogstile posted:

I assume he means he's saved before the fight and it comes up with ambush each time, which is how it works.

Honestly if i'm not running ironman i've taken to just saving at a town and then clicking on "my destination". If I get there, great. If I don't and its a "gently caress you" fight I reload.

Remember, bailing out on contracts really isn't a big deal. I've done it multiple times this campaign and it shoves my relations down to cold. Oh well, guess I won't buy from this tiny village.

I've reneged on a couple of contracts from a keep and let's just say it can quickly become a big deal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah obviously don't do it from the same place/house more than once until it goes back to neutral.

Do it once and nobody gives a poo poo.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Just a heads-up here, Wonk from Reddit is having an interview with the devs before DLC release and is inviting questions from the community. Hope to have a good Q&A session then.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

AG3 posted:

And suicidal depression when their BFF dies.

Or suicidal ANGER. +10 to melee skill and fatigue, -10 to defenses. The goblin’s did this! Kill them all, Bjorn!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'd kill for a mobile port for this beautiful game!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I'd kill for a mobile port for this beautiful game!

In a lot of ways it does feel like a pretty simple port. But then I’d also risk throwing my phone so...

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I've been hoping for this game on my iPad for years

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Dwarfs have to witness hundreds of hours of animal death which gives them all horrible mental trauma until they're burned out emotionless shells. So when you send them into battle instead of freaking out at all the blood and guts and screaming they just kind of placidly go "it monday again".

dwarf fortress is cool

So what about the butchers themselves, then? Are they all shadows of their former selves, or are butchers in dwarf fortress generally mentally hardened dwarves, who won't be affected (much) by the animal killing that they perform?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Houndmasters and dogs worth messing with? I wouldn’t know what to do with them.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Houndmasters and dogs worth messing with? I wouldn’t know what to do with them.

Houndmasters, no. Dogs, very much yes. Use them to run down fleeing enemies, tie-up archers, and occasional Geist slaying.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
They're pretty nice as deployable ablative armor too in a pinch.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Puppies are great. In very specific circumstances they're good for locking down archers. Also, if you need juuuust one extra turn to save a bro who's engaged (e.g. to get a rotation bro there), a puppy presents a low mdef target for the enemy to prioritize. I usually by every last armored puppy I see.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Are they single use? Sounds like just attach them to whoever. Just found a falcon too, I’m guessing that’s LoS extension? Looks cool but expensive for now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Use them again and again until they die. My current easy ironman campaign had an event where a stray dog started following our crew so we adopted him as our mascot and named him "Battle Brother"

All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 30, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
An armored dog can be a big help early on. But as soon as you start fighting Raiders or tougher enemies they're only useful as distractions against most enemies. They can be useful to run down archers, fill holes in your formation when people get pushed around by reanimating Wiedergängers, and hunt Geists. But mostly they'll be there to bail an injured bro out.
Unarmored dogs are almost entirely useless.

Houndmasters are good regardless of the morale bonus they give to dogs. Their stats are decent for a low cost background and they're cheap to hire - especially considering they come with nets, so one of the items you pay for is actually useful.

Tias posted:

I've reneged on a couple of contracts from a keep and let's just say it can quickly become a big deal.
At least now you have a constant supply of decorated helmets.

e:

Just found a falcon too, I’m guessing that’s LoS extension? Looks cool but expensive for now.

Falcons reveal everything in a 12 (?) hex radius once a battle.
Really useful against certain enemies, especially Necromancers, or in forests or swamps, but also often kinda irrelevant.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 30, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A good crisis would be invasion by a neighboring country

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh So i take a contract that is 150 gold to run a caravan between the two closest towns to my starting point. First battle, okay, 7 brigands not too well equipped I lose one guy, sucks but hey i just hired him. Then there is another battle instantly after it, where I face off again 8 brigands, i manage to win it but now I'm down to 2 guys, and I've lost all my experienced guys (my best guy died it getting his head cut off on the first strike), and then we get hit a 3rd time.

Yea, this game is just more BS RNG, and I think i'm done with it. Its too bad because I really like what it looks like it can, but this is honestly not fun to just get squashed before I can really get started.

And this is the easiest difficulty!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
loving run away if you can’t win a fight!

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Falcons are irrelevant a lot, but when they're good, they're REALLY good. I've found they work best stuck on a polearm brother since those guys more often than not have nothing to do for the first turn or two of battle anyway. Used that way, there's gently caress all opportunity cost associated with them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Affi posted:

loving run away if you can’t win a fight!

But then I lose the contract, and I need the money.

Still, this seems way too difficult for so early in the game for being so little money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh So i take a contract that is 150 gold to run a caravan between the two closest towns to my starting point. First battle, okay, 7 brigands not too well equipped I lose one guy, sucks but hey i just hired him. Then there is another battle instantly after it, where I face off again 8 brigands, i manage to win it but now I'm down to 2 guys, and I've lost all my experienced guys (my best guy died it getting his head cut off on the first strike), and then we get hit a 3rd time.

Yea, this game is just more BS RNG, and I think i'm done with it. Its too bad because I really like what it looks like it can, but this is honestly not fun to just get squashed before I can really get started.

And this is the easiest difficulty!

Don't take caravan missions.

They seem like an easy source of money early in the game, but they're a horrible trap for several reasons. It turns out that both the good result and the bad result are both bad.

1) what you have experienced is the bad result. You're stuck with the caravan and cannot control your movement. That means you can't pick and choose your fights, you're stuck fighting whatever attacks you or running away and failing the mission. Even a short-range 150-gold, 1-skull contract can turn into a company-wiping deathtrap if you accidentally run into half a dozen necrosavants (this happened to me once).

2) the supposed "good" result is that you make it to the destination with no fights. Free money! Except this is also bad because it uses up a bunch of time (caravans move slooooowly) and gives you some free renown, which means towns offer you bigger and harder contracts. But because you completed the contract and got the renown without fighting anyone, you're actually falling behind the curve because your bros didn't get any experience from the contract and you didn't get loot from fighting enemies to sell for additional cash. So at the end of the mission you've just padded your resume a bit with a successful contract, but you haven't actually improved your company the same amount as the renown you get. Which over time will snowball until every contract you're offered and every enemy band you encounter is too much for your company to handle because you're underleveled and undergeared.

What you want to be doing early in the game is fighting as many people as possible. If you see a group of brigand thugs wandering around in the wilderness, attack them! Take their experience and sell their stuff for a few gold. Take as many one-skull contracts that will pay you a couple hundred gold to kill some bandits, as you can find. Avoid contracts that mention difficult enemies like greenskins, or even undead if you have a bad experience with them. This way your company will build up experience, gear, and renown at around the same rate, meaning you stick with the level curve instead of falling behind it, and you get to choose your own battles instead of having impossible fights thrust upon you.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

But then I lose the contract, and I need the money.

Still, this seems way too difficult for so early in the game for being so little money.

Losing the opportunity to get some cash sure beats the hell out of getting wiped. Being selective about what you tackle is probably the most important thing in this game. You're gonna find lots of contracts or enemies that you either can't realistically do or it's just not worth the cost.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I tried it again, and of course the only mission I can take after the revenge mission is "find missing villagers". Like I cannot even leave the part of land I'm on because the only places the boat will go costs more money than I have, so its my only choice, and its direwolves which will gently caress up your party.

How the gently caress can I make money if I cannot do the contracts available? Do I need to just keep restarting the game until i get a perfect start? I am so sick of the starting battle.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

twistedmentat posted:

I tried it again, and of course the only mission I can take after the revenge mission is "find missing villagers". Like I cannot even leave the part of land I'm on because the only places the boat will go costs more money than I have, so its my only choice, and its direwolves which will gently caress up your party.

How the gently caress can I make money if I cannot do the contracts available? Do I need to just keep restarting the game until i get a perfect start? I am so sick of the starting battle.

Did you spawn on an island?

I mean money isn’t tight if you don’t pick low starting funds. Walk to another town. And if the map really sucks spawn a new one?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

twistedmentat posted:

It's an unfortunate fact that map generation RNG can completely gently caress you over, if you have a very isolated start or a map which is like 1/3 marshes and 1/2 forests it's probably best to just restart.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I could be mistaken but I don't believe the map makes islands that are only accessible by boat. There should be somewhere you can cross. Narrow straits/rivers are passable on foot, sometimes you get one or more small islands that form a crossing over a body of water.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Direwolves and Nachzehrers (missing villager quests can put you up against either) are easy because they have weaker AI than human opponents. They will always charge you no matter what so you can soften them up considerably by having all your guys spearwall - they will run right into the spearwall and take a ton of damage. Also remember that damage will weaken their morale - manipulating morale is a key way to win.

If you find one or the other easier to deal with; save before taking the quest, and reload if you don't like what you got.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Direwolves and Nachzehrers (missing villager quests can put you up against either) are easy because they have weaker AI than human opponents. They will always charge you no matter what so you can soften them up considerably by having all your guys spearwall - they will run right into the spearwall and take a ton of damage. Also remember that damage will weaken their morale - manipulating morale is a key way to win.

If you find one or the other easier to deal with; save before taking the quest, and reload if you don't like what you got.

Note that spearwall works well for nachzehrers but often doesn't work against direwolves becaue their enormous initiative and high movement means they usually reach your line on turn 1 before you have a chance to take any actions, and then spearwall is useless. Spears are still decent weapons against direwolves in the early game though because of their high hit chance and the direwolves' poo poo morale.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I could be mistaken but I don't believe the map makes islands that are only accessible by boat. There should be somewhere you can cross. Narrow straits/rivers are passable on foot, sometimes you get one or more small islands that form a crossing over a body of water.

Sometimes it does. But even if you can spend 3 days trudging through some straights/swamps to get somewhere crucial gently caress that noise just reload the map.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

Falcons are irrelevant a lot, but when they're good, they're REALLY good. I've found they work best stuck on a polearm brother since those guys more often than not have nothing to do for the first turn or two of battle anyway. Used that way, there's gently caress all opportunity cost associated with them.

idk I get ambushed a lot, and they're pretty drat relevant whenever that happens. Without, my best brothers have to dilly aimlessly off looking for enemy that turn up on the other side of the map and slash my isolated band to pieces.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Tias posted:

idk I get ambushed a lot, and they're pretty drat relevant whenever that happens. Without, my best brothers have to dilly aimlessly off looking for enemy that turn up on the other side of the map and slash my isolated band to pieces.

I got ambushed by nachzerers I was hunting and despite being clumped and scattered, consolidating and spear walling with my 3 spear dudes (not side by side) worked brilliantly.

twistedmentat posted:

Disaster time

Yeah abandon ship and re-roll the map.

The one I’m on now is almost too easy, I’ve made as much trading as on contracts. This likely means the game will poo poo in my lap soon, but it’s way more my speed for now. I almost can’t believe it has gone this well.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Early game is extremely tough compared to later on. You want good recruits very early on because otherwise they are going to get meatgrindered and never level enough to be truly useful. Unlike XCOM, having tons of mediocre recruits is not a viable long term solution and doesn’t pay off even early on.

You see, higher tiered enemies can bulldoze right through a dozen cripples and beggars (save for the rare mega cripple) in a couple of turns, so you quickly run into problems that a peasant swarm will never defeat.

In my experience, defense just slightly trumps offense when it comes to stats. Your bro can be some kind of living aim-bot, but if he cant avoid a loving hit the goblins will kill him guaranteed or a brigand marksman will instantly kill him. I don’t take any frontline bros who don’t have at least one star in melee defense or a decent base defense to compensate. Make sure your ranged bros and othe back line bros have good range defense, or they will die from the dreaded brigand crossbow of death.

Your earliest recruits should be hired for less than 500 each, preferably for less than 400. Most backgrounds have decent potential for decent bros, with a few exceptions which just suck most of the time. Most of these bros can be very good for a long time if they roll some decent starting stats and have stars in the right stats. If you are lucky they might survive long enough to really shine. Always be searching for more good recruits, because half of them are going to get domed with a loving crossbow.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Even the shittiest 100-gold farmhand or daytaler or fisherman can hold a shield in the line for a few turns while bros with good melee attack actually deal out the damage. Shepherd your bros with good potential through, don't get in fights that will mean you lose bros with good potential, don't get hung up on losing the lovely cheap ones, and once you start getting a reliable income and have a solid core of bros who can win most fights for you, start weaning out any remaining bad bros and replacing them with good ones.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Even the shittiest 100-gold farmhand or daytaler or fisherman can hold a shield in the line for a few turns while bros with good melee attack actually deal out the damage. Shepherd your bros with good potential through, don't get in fights that will mean you lose bros with good potential, don't get hung up on losing the lovely cheap ones, and once you start getting a reliable income and have a solid core of bros who can win most fights for you, start weaning out any remaining bad bros and replacing them with good ones.

Agreed. Ive dumped a handful of expendables into the shield line to protect the good bros. This is viable.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If anything, the biggest issue with the game is snowballing. Doing well during early game makes the mid-game is a lot easier. New players or bad players get an abnormally difficult midgame, because the enemy scaling keeps moving up, even if the company isn't increasing in strength at the same speed. It's a lot like the new-XCOM games in that regard, but even worse. A mid-game near team wipe isn't 100% game over in the new XCOMs, but it is in Battle Brothers.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I wrote a long rant but the forums ate it. Short version:

Was excited to get a noble contract I hadn't seen before, to raid a town's building. The caevat was that no peasants were allowed to survive to tell the tale. I get there, I get the option to either surround the place or sweep through from one side. I pick the trap option of coming in from one side, ending up stuck on the edge of a swamp with the peasants retreating on turn one before I can even see them. Dick move, battle brothers.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I got ambushed by nachzerers I was hunting and despite being clumped and scattered, consolidating and spear walling with my 3 spear dudes (not side by side) worked brilliantly.

That's all fine and dandy when fighting rear end eating undead jobbers, but when you're outnumbered by ork warriors or bounty hunters popping up like loving whack-a-moles, you got a problem of a different level ;)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Tias posted:

That's all fine and dandy when fighting rear end eating undead jobbers, but when you're outnumbered by ork warriors or bounty hunters popping up like loving whack-a-moles, you got a problem of a different level ;)

No doubt. I’m starting to expect my campaign is going to come crashing down here at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Time to plug my stream.

I'm gonna try and play this game once a week (on tuesdays, late GMT) and started an E/E Ironman run (with high starting funds). I did this because I want all of these guys to die by the time the expansion comes round.

I go over a lot of my decisionmaking in the video, if you're having trouble starting up, give it a watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/329443176