Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Don't they run into Shizuka at the bus stop? Which implies to me her family left town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

There was obviously a lot of cool stuff to take away from the episode but my mind keeps going back to the loving wall pizza and I can't stop laughing at it for some reason

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 29, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thumbtacks posted:

digiorno's stand: golden wind, i think: turns rocks into frogs and punches people with the drug that was in the 2012 judge dredd movie
buckle rati: they called it zipper man in the show which is hilarious and hopefully not the real name: decapitates people with zippers and puts things in peoples mouths, wakes up feeling horny
polpo: black sabbath is a better name: shadow jumpscare man that stabs peoples souls with a magic arrow that gives them stand powers, likes to eat

Gold Experience, Sticky Fingers, and Black Sabbath.

Look forward to more name changes in the future. None of the Part V cast is going to have their actual Stand name in subtitles.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Guess what the new characters stands in Buccirati's gang do based on the opening

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Guess what the new characters stands in Buccirati's gang do based on the opening

well one is a tiny plane so it does tiny plane things

another is bullets so it's like hol horse except the gun probably is real

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

deal

uh one guy has a gun that shoots a bullet that looks like it's redirected by despicable me minions so im guessing he does cool trick shots
one guy has a cool plane that probably also shoots bullets
from what iv'e seen on the internet one of them has a stand that makes you drink piss or something and also reddit was talking about the number 4 a lot
one looks like it does some weird time poo poo
also the chain person is interesting, my initial assumption is it's something like seeing multiple outcomes to an event and picking the one tey want but that sounds horrendously overpowered so thats probably not it
also there's a character that my girlfriend insists is a girl and i know jojo so it's probably a dude and it looks like they really like math

that's all i've got

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Please guys, this is Jojos

The tiny plane probably turns people into dogs or something

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Tiny Plane or Big Boy?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

HellCopter posted:

they had a little soldier army that was named bad company which araki took from the song bad company off the album bad company recorded by the band bad company

the plane will be named air supply

the bullets will be named shoot to kill

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

I worry about pulling some cryptomnesia poo poo because I skimmed some part 5 details when one of the fighting games came out so I'm not going to speculate, but I really like this one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HellCopter posted:

Araki has been writing stands for three Parts at this point. He's good enough not to write himself into a corner with a Stand with such an extreme insta-kill ability for a heroic character.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Or it'll only happen once and never be mentioned again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

deal

uh one guy has a gun that shoots a bullet that looks like it's redirected by despicable me minions so im guessing he does cool trick shots
one guy has a cool plane that probably also shoots bullets
from what iv'e seen on the internet one of them has a stand that makes you drink piss or something and also reddit was talking about the number 4 a lot
one looks like it does some weird time poo poo
also the chain person is interesting, my initial assumption is it's something like seeing multiple outcomes to an event and picking the one tey want but that sounds horrendously overpowered so thats probably not it
also there's a character that my girlfriend insists is a girl and i know jojo so it's probably a dude and it looks like they really like math

that's all i've got

Reading blind reactions to this show gives me joy.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
to be fair it's jojo so im sure the stand powers aren't just "does cool bullets"

im guessing airplane sends you to a hell dimension and minion trick shots can invert your dick or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

trucutru posted:

Well, yes, their skin goes brown but the pulp stays good for way longer.

I wonder how the whole "don't put bananas in the fridge" thing started in the US.

Bananas (and other fruit, like apples) release ethylene gas, which causes fruit to ripen faster. In an enclosed space, like a fridge, ethylene can make fruit go bad faster than it would at room temperature.

E: beaten like an old banan

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah but what is that stand called? I’m trying to think of one that isn’t too on the nose.

Milky Chance

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

exploded mummy posted:

they had a little soldier army that was named bad company which araki took from the song bad company off the album bad company recorded by the band bad company

the bullets will be named shoot to kill

The plane has a great name which will of course be changed in the subtitles.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
The bullets have a great name which will of course be changed in the subtitles.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you also have a great name, too bad you wont be able to read it once I break it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
your face that is

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i love that every punchtime music sounds similar but different, it's a nice touch

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

i love that every punchtime music sounds similar but different, it's a nice touch
Yeah I don't know all the terminology to dissect it musically but it rules and I don't want them to stop writing music like that.

It's hard to pick a favorite but I love the first one in Stardust Crusaders. It's got that surf rock guitar tone and is overall reminiscent of various 60s styles, like the "spy jazz" popularized in film and television soundtracks. And then in the middle they add a dubstep style drop and it doesn't ruin the song! I mean on paper it sounds really dumb but it's just the right amount to work.

You know what'd be cool would be an Ennio Morricone spaghetti western stand theme.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
alright went back to look at the op for the other 2 guys

vcr display man - not sure exactly, probably fan turn people into vcr tapes so he can take their abilities or something or he gets people mad by turning all VCR time disp[lays to flashing "12:00"s

checkerboard guy - emits a large cloud. probably not a good cloud. knowing araki given the color pallete and the power....i'm going to name it r u experienced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qonTIZGu27w

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But we already had Devo in Part 3!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Never realized at first watch (or after 2 reads) but Polpo biting off his finger is how he made the lighter. Wonder how he gets his fingers back when candidates fail the test.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol I've never heard that theory before

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like the anime definitely framed it in that way where I didn't get that idea from the manga. Like they went to araki and were like "but seriously... why"

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

I feel like the anime definitely framed it in that way where I didn't get that idea from the manga. Like they went to araki and were like "but seriously... why"

An homage to Tony Iommi and his lost fingers.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Ranzear posted:

I worry about pulling some cryptomnesia poo poo because I skimmed some part 5 details when one of the fighting games came out so I'm not going to speculate, but I really like this one.

Air Supply was the island where Caesar and Joseph trained, and Araki doesn't generally like to reuse references.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i assumed the point is that hes a fat piece of poo poo that didnt even notice he ate his own hands

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It does amuse me that Araki had to handwave his way out of a corner so that GioGio could MUDA the enemy stand without killing Polpo or Polpo even being aware of the fight, just so he could hand over the Passione badge and then immediately eat it (pun intended)

I don't think there were any examples in previous parts of a "automated, long range" stand user just being entirely unaffected by his stand being damaged. The closest parallel I can think of is Kira's Sheer Heart Attack heat-seeking bomb which still affected the user even if he was unaware of what was specifically happening with it.

Curious to see what gunman is about. I at first mistook him in the OP for being Bucciarati but this episode made it clear he's a different person.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Stands like The Lovers or Shigechis Harvest are examples of remote control types. Steely Dan never reacts to any hit Kakyoin and Polnareff land on the Lovers and Harvest doesnt react when Josuke and Okuyasu are clearly following them because they arent its objective.

Damage to Sheer Heart Attack also never transferred back to Kira until it cant move anymore. Theres a couple scenes where it cuts back to Kira and hes all "geez what's taking so long"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Lovers did react though, it just was capable of creating clones of itself so that the original one wouldn't get hurt.

There are definitely some other stands that match that kind of stand though as far as "can be beat up at long range but won't transfer damage to the user"

There were also definitely stands that just outright didn't transfer damage, but those were things that either couldn't specifically be attacked (Mariah's or Oingo's ability), or were attached to some physical object like Strength, Wheel of Fortune, Justice, probably The Fool since it was made of sand (though I'm not sure if it was sand the stand itself made or if it was made up of regular sand around itself, which is why I'm not sure), and Surface

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 30, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Expect My Mom posted:

Stands like The Lovers or Shigechis Harvest are examples of remote control types. Steely Dan never reacts to any hit Kakyoin and Polnareff land on the Lovers and Harvest doesnt react when Josuke and Okuyasu are clearly following them because they arent its objective.

Damage to Sheer Heart Attack also never transferred back to Kira until it cant move anymore. Theres a couple scenes where it cuts back to Kira and hes all "geez what's taking so long"

Sheer Heart Attack was nigh invulnerable, so it really didn't ever take damage, just come comsetic cracking for most of it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sheer Heart Attack is a bit different in that its supposed to be just Killer Queens detached hand. It's a fairly unique case in all respects.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

The Lovers did react though, it just was capable of creating clones of itself so that the original one wouldn't get hurt.

There are definitely some other stands that match that kind of stand though as far as "can be beat up at long range but won't transfer damage to the user"
The Lovers reacts to pain yeah, just like Black Sabbath does when it's in sunlight, but neither seems to bother their users at all

exploded mummy posted:

Sheer Heart Attack was nigh invulnerable, so it really didn't ever take damage, just come comsetic cracking for most of it.
Theres the part where Jotaro is pulling it apart by the side of its mouth and its vocalizing pain but your call if it actually is or if it's just taunting its opponents like Look Over Here usually is

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

As I recall though Shigechi did still take "damage" from Harvest being destroyed, it was just incredibly minor because his Stand was the entirety of Harvest and so destroying one or two Harvest was like trimming the nails on another Stand?

I may be misremembering though it's been a while.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I dont think we ever Shigechi hurt until hes REALLY hurt. Kira punch rushes Harvest at times and hes fine, he only seem hurt when he's hit directly.

My being that theres def precedence for a Stand like Black Sabbath that transfers neither the damage nor what it's happening to its user

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn’t recommend trying to find consistent rules for how stands work. Down that road lies madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IIRC they also completely destroyed Judgment with no apparent damage to the user. It makes some intuitive sense to me, remote stands are more separate from you so you can't directly control them but they also aren't damage linked to you.