Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

You'd think the no platforming of jagmeet singh would be more than enough to prove we don't have a left wing media problem.

What is this jagged, singing meat of which you speak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/vmochama/status/1056905545859416071

andrew scheer jumping on the "msm is unfair" train, FULL SPEED AHEAD TO FACISM MOTHERFUCKERS

"canadians need someone who will stand up to the media", andrew scheer said in an open letter published by a prominent media outlet

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Her? Him?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't know her

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hand Knit posted:

Real cool that the CBC decided to go with "what are the business opportunities for Canadians?" as the angle for its article on Brazil.

lol what happened to that brazilian dude who came into the canpol thread and dunked on our government and corporations for their complete disregard of human lives in the face of mining interests

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
man the bernier peoples party polling numbers are bad, lmao to anyone who said this fucker is going to split the vote

youre going to get an altright socon scheer majority and love it

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jan posted:

lol what happened to that brazilian dude who came into the canpol thread and dunked on our government and corporations for their complete disregard of human lives in the face of mining interests

Brazil is kind of the Mexico of South America

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

man the bernier peoples party polling numbers are bad, lmao to anyone who said this fucker is going to split the vote

the total number of voting eligible Bernier Bros in Canada is probably less than the number of people voting Conservative in a 3 way swing riding like Burnaby North-Seymour

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Oct 29, 2018

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah bernie has zero momentum, zero anything. literally no one likes him.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

the gently caress do polls matter at this point?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
https://twitter.com/BissonGilles/status/1056925281339039745

:ok:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

One dead worker = one more open job.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
bernier is the only federal candidate who isnt openly fascist which is why hes unpopular

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
quiet, you

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
also scheer is right about the media and the elites colluding against the interests of the tax paying proletariat. didnt we all just agree the CBC should be defunded for cosigning the fascist in brazil 1 page ago?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

also scheer is right about the media and the elites colluding against the interests of the tax paying proletariat. didnt we all just agree the CBC should be defunded for cosigning the fascist in brazil 1 page ago?

this is how trumpism rolls, you prey on people's justified dissatisfaction with the elites and present yourself as an outsider who will fix things(who then proceeds to do the same thing but worse)

you can see the same scam playing out worldwide, usually aided by a lovely centrist government that pretends to be the left, thus alluring more people to the right

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

pokeyman posted:

excuse me, eric grenier has been a valid forecaster of canadian politics and is a vital resource for strategic voting and faaaaaaaaaaaaart

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
since all media in this country is controlled by either the libs, the telecoms, or foreign investment groups, (or it's The Tyee) all i can say is that if canada did have a free press it would be worth defending

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

also scheer is right about the media and the elites colluding against the interests of the tax paying proletariat

please, no Trolling

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Jan posted:

excuse me, eric grenier has been a valid forecaster of canadian politics and is a vital resource for strategic voting and faaaaaaaaaaaaart

this is actually kind of a funny google search https://www.google.ca/search?q=eric...chrome&ie=UTF-8

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Related, the Star did an undercover investigation on temp agency work where those deaths occurred:

http://projects.thestar.com/temp-employment-agencies/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah that's one of the best pieces of journalism the toronto star did this past year

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

diversity would not be possible without our ongoing relationships with temporary help agencies

We'll hire vismins but only if we can treat and pay them like poo poo.

quote:

When a temp gets hurt, the company is not fully responsible because the temp agency assumes liability at the worker’s compensation board — saving their clients money on insurance premiums. This is a crucial financial incentive to use them.

When I approached a security guard at Fiera asking about shifts, he tells me the plant doesn’t hire directly.

I'll take "things that should be illegal" for nothing whatsoever Alex, because the question is ":bahgawd: WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO WORK"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

pokeyman posted:

raw polling numbers are good, poll analysts that try and create 'models' to predict elections are bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. i seem to remember pointing this out repeatedly in the last ontario election and about half the replies were "well they're the best models we have, where are your models?"

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

raw polling numbers are good, poll analysts that try and create 'models' to predict elections are bad

raw polling numbers are meaningless with fptp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're not completely meaningless, they're just also not useful for seat projections unless you have fairly granular regional polls, and even then it's probably hubris to try and divine anything more than broad voter sentiment.

of course that doesn't stop grenier et al. from performing digital haruspicy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jan posted:

raw polling numbers are meaningless with fptp

this is my point, polls suck for modelling seat projections, but when a party is polling at <1.5% with a 3% pp moe then it's a good chance that they are irrelevant completely

if anything all bernier succeeded at is pulling the party he quit further right

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/view/organizing-the-suburbs?fbclid=IwAR2PADfET7o5jE5KNUn9ux7UKclc8U5yftHfVSMuXGr6OpFmFl_jjSuIHjA

I feel like people here might be interested in this, on right and left wing organizing in the Chinese community in Toronto's suburbs.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the winnipeg free press did a manitoba federal seat primer this morning. the liberal strategists they talked to are gunning for the brandon-souris seat and both ndp seats in the north(including ndp superstar niki ashton) meanwhile the conservatives are convinced they can flip all of winnipeg.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

my point with the above is the liberals are going to waste an election cycle assuming all their seats are safe and attacking ndp seats while the conservatives are going to pull the rug out from underneath them

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think justin will be relieved he obviously prefers playing ultimate frizbee than being a transparent puppet

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Hand Knit posted:

https://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/view/organizing-the-suburbs?fbclid=IwAR2PADfET7o5jE5KNUn9ux7UKclc8U5yftHfVSMuXGr6OpFmFl_jjSuIHjA

I feel like people here might be interested in this, on right and left wing organizing in the Chinese community in Toronto's suburbs.

Thanks for this link!

I had just moved in my riding when the Ontario election campaign started. Although we were successful reaching out to suburban voters and the Muslim community, we failed to engage with the substantial Asian community. I even remember some saying we shouldn't waste time, but my own experience during foot canvass was that Asian residents responded very well to items in the NDP platform. They'd lit up when talking about community and doing things better.

Good stuff in that article. I'm sharing it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DariusLikewise posted:

the winnipeg free press did a manitoba federal seat primer this morning. the liberal strategists they talked to are gunning for the brandon-souris seat and both ndp seats in the north(including ndp superstar niki ashton) meanwhile the conservatives are convinced they can flip all of winnipeg.

The Liberals are loving idiots if this is their strategy. The North is pissed off at the Liberals because of all of their double-talk on Indigenous rights. Brandon-Souris is one of the most conservative ridings in the entire country (partly due to where the riding boundaries are drawn and rural/"urban" poo poo... but still). There was a time in the 90s when it was one of 3 PC seats in the entire country. Merv Tweed didn't even bother to campaign and he won like 3 straight elections.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Related, the Star did an undercover investigation on temp agency work where those deaths occurred:

http://projects.thestar.com/temp-employment-agencies/

I'd read this when it originally was published and was rereading it today, when I noticed this little excerpt:

quote:

This month, new legislation aimed at protecting precarious workers will go to second reading at Queen’s Park. Labour advocates have been fighting for some of the proposed changes — including a higher minimum wage and paid sick days for all workers — for years.

Bill 148’s measures include more resources for enforcement, and greater protections for temp agency workers. If successful, it will make it easier for them to unionize and prohibit companies from paying them less than permanent counterparts doing the same work.

It hadn't parsed until then that the bill that the OPC has gutted is what might've marginally improved these workers' conditions.

gently caress Doug Ford. gently caress all the suburbanite trash who voted him in. gently caress the entire OPC. The whole lot of them should be forced to work one a month at one of those minimum wage jobs and backbreaking conditions they are supporting in order to be ~open for business~.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If all the people making minimum wage bothered turning up to vote, Doug Ford wouldn't be in power.

Maybe they'll turn out next tim-ahahah who am I kidding.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Another Bill posted:

If all the people making minimum wage bothered turning up to vote, Doug Ford wouldn't be in power.

they'll turn out as soon as anyone running for office actually gives a poo poo about them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

If they're anything like taxi drivers, they loving love him. Not because of anything he's actually done, but because they've bought his for the people/against the elites bullshit hook line and sinker.

I had a conversation with a cab driver yesterday in which they informed me that Rob Ford was the best mayor the city ever had, because of some complete bullshit that never happened, he was sabotaged and pushed out by the elites at city hall, and also it's great that his brother Doug is now premier.

This was not the first time I've heard something like this.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Truthfully I shouldn't be judging working class people who vote against their class interest, because I'm a rich guy who votes against my own.

But I do judge them. Harshly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Jan posted:

when I noticed this little excerpt:

Bill 148

Oh man this is beyond disappointing :smith: