Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

was a time when walmart was selling linux computers cause the cost of a windows license woulda doubled the msrp :allears:

but now its worth nothing

"take my POS OS...please!" -billy g at the comedy lafflaff factory, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh yeah, lindows. lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
2002 was truly the year of linux on the desktop. been downhill since then

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

2002 was truly the year of linux on the desktop. been downhill since then

nah plenty of people charge phones on top of their desks

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Bulgakov posted:

but now its worth nothing

I think the value is in funneling users into office 365 and other services. IDK how much MS charges per license of Windows Home for gimped devices. Assuming it's nothing if they get someone to subscribe to office 365 and Skype they've still made at least twice as much money as dell or whoever would have paid them. If the user remains a subscriber then they get that per year.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Speaking of worthless, what's the point of WSL? It seems like a toy vs. just running a full VM.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Speaking of worthless, what's the point of WSL? It seems like a toy vs. just running a full VM.
it's less resource-intensive than a full vm AND it gets people to use the microsoft store

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SYSV Fanfic posted:

look, if we're going to start discussing the worthlessness of software we're going to be here a while

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/admung/status/1057084800677203968

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
newsflash: use wsus to authorize and deploy updates in a commercial environment

if you're seeing that somewhere that matters it's because ur CJs suck at their jobs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i saw something like that in some hospital signage lol.

that modal thing that windos 10 vomits up just confirms to every single person walking past that windows sucks poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yes clearly they should have deployed it on a desktop linux which would lose support after a year and never update

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

at least a linux wouldn't be out-of-date AND shouting at customers/clients/patients: "HEY LETS DO AN UPDATE" -- overlaid on top useful info/adspace/whatever, reminding them that Windows is a constant annoyance to be fought with in everyday life.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
something something ltsb something something.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yes clearly they should have deployed it on a desktop linux which would lose support after a year and never update

Signage TVs running Linux is usually the way to go, what's odd is that commercial TV hardware is really expensive but the software which can be managed over the Internets is crazy cheap to run. You can even get signage hardware & software from CDW and pay like only $20 above wholesale price.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

at least a linux wouldn't be out-of-date AND shouting at customers/clients/patients: "HEY LETS DO AN UPDATE" -- overlaid on top useful info/adspace/whatever, reminding them that Windows is a constant annoyance to be fought with in everyday life.

idk, it's a pretty good indicator that all your data held by that company is probably leaked to hell and back and you should just never do any kind of business with them unless you want your poo poo all over russian carding forums

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my favourite is seeing all the led billboards running windows with activation notices, free 3rd party non-commercial AV software, teamviewer and a decade old VNC client exposed directly to the internet

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
When people see those update prompts, they don't think "lol whoever janitors the computers here really sucks at their job", they think "see! That is why I hate windows 10!"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's great to use Windows 10 error messages on Linux TVs as everybody will always blame Microsoft instead.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MrMoo posted:

It's great to use Windows 10 error messages on Linux TVs as everybody will always blame Microsoft instead.

lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

And before anybody points it out again I did fix the "1 seconds", I just haven't taken a new photo.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

there's nothing wrong with a digital signage system like that being out of date as long as it is properly protected from network threats

you don't install firmware updates on your TV and DVD player every two weeks either

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

r u ready to WALK posted:

there's nothing wrong with a digital signage system like that being out of date as long as it is properly protected from network threats

you don't install firmware updates on your TV and DVD player every two weeks either

you also don’t connect these things to the internet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i love update screens because it means microsoft cares. :frogbon:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

fuckin bazinga error screens lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
fucko boingo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does that QR code decode to anything useful or is it like windows?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

newsflash: use wsus to authorize and deploy updates in a commercial environment

if you're seeing that somewhere that matters it's because ur CJs suck at their jobs

its worse than that because out of the box it would just reboot itself for updates overnight. if you're seeing that message it means not only is your cj bad, but he disabled automatic update installation

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

pseudorandom name posted:

does that QR code decode to anything useful or is it like windows?

what does your heart tell you

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TypeError@app-compiled.js:182

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

you also don’t connect these things to the internet

lol. yes you do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

yes, but they definitely aren't though. like, best case scenario it's behind nat and doesn't have vnc forwarded to it directly

Shaggar posted:

its worse than that because out of the box it would just reboot itself for updates overnight. if you're seeing that message it means not only is your cj bad, but he disabled automatic update installation

not quite, those messages mean the update started to install but they've disabled the automatic reboot or something runs that prevents windows from deciding the PC is idle and can be rebooted

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
scanning the qr code takes you to a windows help page that just reads "turn on ure monitor lol"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

scanning the qr code takes you to a windows help page that just reads "turn on ure monitor lol"

scanning a qr code should always take you to a page that says "lol you actually scanned a qr code"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

univbee posted:

scanning a qr code should always take you to a page that says "lol you actually scanned a qr code"

the QR codes that let you join WiFi networks are useful

oh, the answer to my question was even funnier than I could have imagined

for those of you not following along, they actually tried to dynamically generate the QR code which puts them ahead of Microsoft but they planged it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

finally got around to buying an m2 drive. what's the easiest way to transfer my drive over to it and having the OS work?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
macrium reflect free edition

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shaggar posted:

macrium reflect free edition

ty

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rex-Goliath posted:

finally got around to buying an m2 drive. what's the easiest way to transfer my drive over to it and having the OS work?
if your ssd doesn't come bundled with software that does this, lomarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the bundled software is usually the free edition of acronis which is not as good as the free edition of macrium