Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I take that back

The staff is a dupe but the 6* +wind dagger and 6* +earth sword are not :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't quite have 255 Mythril yet… I wanna do them all at once, instead of spreading out the disappointment…

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know that I'm going to do them all but I did four of them a minute ago
1: dupe Sarah USB
T-0: Cinque LMR. I have like 2 characters in this realm with anything other than LMR
8: Quistis USB, GSB, Laguna LMR, Zell BSB1. Good!
4: Rydia Red Scorpion USB, dupe Rosa BSB. Good?

Shame about the first 2. I only have 2 6*s in ff1, and 0 in T-0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Kheldarn posted:

I don't quite have 255 Mythril yet… I wanna do them all at once, instead of spreading out the disappointment…

See, doing them in chunks lets me clean out the trash and actually master them without feeling overwhelmed.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Pretty bad so far.

FF1: WoL ASB, Garland ASB
FF2: Guy BSB
F3: Onion Knight LMR, Aria LMR, Ingus BSB (dupe)
FF4: Kain BSB, Edward BSB
FF5: Kelger USB, Galuf BSB (dupe)
FF6: Mog USB1 (dupe)
FF7: Cid LMR, Rufus LMR (dupe)
FF8: Fujin OSB
FF9: Eiko USB (dupe) Kuja OSB, Zidane LMR, Ammy LMR
FF10: Yuna USB2, Yuna BSB2 x 2 (dupes)
FF11:
FF12:
FF13:
FF14:
FF15: Aranea OSB, Gladio BSB (dupe), Noctis BSB (dupe)
Tactics: Orlandeau OSB (dupe), Rapha LMR
Type-0: Nine BSB, Rem LMR1, Ace LMR1 (dupe)

Gem: Krile USB (dupe), Lann BSB (dupe), Garnet LMR2

I started out aiming for realms with the four chain elements I'm missing (Earth, Wind, Holy, Dark) and stuck out. Then went for realms with Gen 2 Chains, and now I'll probably do everything but XI (I have Shantotto Chain/USB and Aphmau USB so it's just Ayame BSB and Shantotto's LMR I'd be after).

So far my winners are only Kelger USB, Guy BSB as a stat stick and Onion LMR. The FF1 ASB's are sorta nice too, and I suppose Lann BSB is a decent stat stick even as a dupe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kheldarn posted:

You clearly have a lot more scarletite saved up than me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

u ever notice that the 1* FFIV Wizard Hat looks like a klan hoodie
in the trash u go!!!

edit: did an FFIII pull hoping for something good for Onion Knight
got Ingus Legend Materia, Arc Legend Materia, and a dupe of the same Arc Legend Materia
goddammit

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 28, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Augus posted:

edit: did an FFIII pull hoping for something good for Onion Knight
got Ingus Legend Materia, Arc Legend Materia, and a dupe of the same Arc Legend Materia
goddammit

Same except it was Arc BSB2 (the attacking white mage one), Aria LMR (I have literally nothing else for her and already have Arc dived) and my third dupe Luneth Glint.

I should've pulled on another realm. :negative:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

I don't think I've ever used any? I have no idea. But now I'm curious as to how many I have.

Let's see:
120 Tiny
109 Small
105 Regular
476 Large
203 Giant

And for Adamantite:
90 Tiny
95 Small
93 Regular
469 Large
213 Giant

I also have 23 Rosetta Stones, whatever those are...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Kheldarn posted:

I also have 23 Rosetta Stones, whatever those are...

Those can be dumped into an item to give +1 to the item's main stat, up to... 30? Nice for shoring up +element gear.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 28, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

more pulls
Daily: Seifer Unique
FF12: Balthier BSB
FF11: Shantotto USB (en-lightning, doublecast Witch), Aphmau LMR (chance of hp stock on heals), Lion BSB

Nice USB and LMR, the BSBs are pretty basic though I might have some use for Balthier's.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Trying to sort through all these record materia, I've noticed ones for physical say "PHY attacks deal 20% more damage when equipping a sword" while caster equivalent say "MAG +15% when equipping a whip". Am I correct that the former gets calculated after softcaps and the latter is beforehand? Thus it's better for casters to stick to RM that boost elemental damage or specific abilities, all else being equal?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
One more pull:
FF12: Basch USB2, Larsa BSB

Would've been amazing if they weren't both dupes :v:

Just 11, 13 and 14 left to make these pulls actually worth it.

Bruceski posted:

Trying to sort through all these record materia, I've noticed ones for physical say "PHY attacks deal 20% more damage when equipping a sword" while caster equivalent say "MAG +15% when equipping a whip". Am I correct that the former gets calculated after softcaps and the latter is beforehand? Thus it's better for casters to stick to RM that boost elemental damage or specific abilities, all else being equal?

Damage RMs are independent of stats so it's calculated after, stat RMs are included with buff soft caps.

Caps are generally easier to hit so just break out Vivi's Devotion RM for the occasional time you're using Maria/Edea/Papalymo BSBs if you're worried about hitting the 6-hit thresholds.

Best damage RMs are the general purpose ones and it's also a lot less thinking. If you're relying on Ability Double SBs and fastcast (or have a a non-damaging SB but aren't using Dr. Mog's for some reason) the ability school RM probably comes ahead, but if you think you'll cast an SB twice it loses out.

So in general for RMs, pick Tyro's Weakness Damage RM first, Jump Damage RMs for Dragoons then general purpose ones. Ability School for heavy dualcast shenanigans or non-damaging SBs like Yuffie's Glint.

Tyro's is first because most other boosts are school or element based, so a weakness damage boost will be multiplicative rather then additive. Jump boost is technically a school boost, but most Dragoon SBs are jump damage, it's only Cyclone Bolt that loses out or the damage boost and it's not dealing heavy damage anyways.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
My pulls so far have been pretty kind

FF2 Guy USB
FF3 Refia BSB, Ingus BSB1 (dupe), Arc BSB(dps)
FF5 Krile Chain, Lenna USB2 (dupe), Xezat LMR (Dupe)
FF6 Kefka USB, LMR
FF7 Sephiroth USB2
FF8 Rinoa USB
FF9 Quinna USB, Zidane OSB (dupe)
FF13 Vanille LMR
FF15 Aranae LMR
FFT Ramza BSB2
FFT0 Queen OSB

Krile Chain was the difference-maker and got me my Isgebind kill (and as my magicite deck improves itll be a stable sub30)

Kefka stuff will be interesting for 5* magicite; Rinoa USB was useful for FF8 Torment, Guy and Quinna USBs will be useful too in their respective niches

The only thing Im kinda head-scratching at is Seph USB2. My dark phys team is already pretty good; Riku USB+LMR, TGCid USB, Seifer Chain.

Making things more difficult is that, while it stands on its own, Im missing the few good relics that'd really make it shine like USB1 or Glint. I have both BSBs and his OSB though.

I could drop my OK (entrust, critfix, and haste) but that leaves me with tough decisions on getting at least haste back in there plus healing/mitigation.

Im not sure how he'd play in a chain (havent tested it yet). In theory if he hits 20k a hit on Siren he's outperforming TGCid but I dunnno what the numbers are gonna look like yet, and also TGCids LM2 is great for getting wall up nice and early.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Augus posted:

what the gently caress is scarletite

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The former doesn't interact with the stats->damage formula at all. If a character does 1000 physical damage, equipping a materia that gives 1.2x physical damage will make them do 1200.

If your character is below the soft cap, a stat +20% materia will be better than a 1.3x damage one. If they're over the cap then the reverse is true. Do note that stat +20% materia are very rare (literally only one for ATK and one for MAG, and they both have downsides), and that breaking the soft caps is extremely easy nowadays.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I just pulled Aria's weird massive fire shield USB on my daily.

Any suggestions for places this might shine aside from fire magicites?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

So I just pulled Aria's weird massive fire shield USB on my daily.

Any suggestions for places this might shine aside from fire magicites?

Tiamat is a notable case, the 4* wind magicite actually does significant fire damage

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Don't forget about next fest's B1! The whole fest is C+ tier compared to the 4th anni, but B1 is excellent.

Highlights:

Ramza CSB
Edward CSB
Tyro USB4
Elarra USB2 (not as good, but still good)

also the obvious FF14 godbanner is right around the corner as well :shobon:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Wow did I pick the wrong time to bankrupt myself - only just seen what is on that 14 banner :doh:

Thanks for the heads up on Aria USB though. I'll definitely try to push her for when I start 4* Magicite.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't get the hype for the 14 banner - the main thing on there is the chain and that's also the one relic that's bound to crop up again sooner or later.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah, it's a very good banner but it depends on what gaps you're trying to fill on your roster, like most banners at the moment. I'd love Alph's kit but already have great fire mages and don't need Thancred for anything, so I'll probably have to pass.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Wind magic is relatively rare and alphinaud's new poo poo is by far the strongest wind mag stuff around (and, finally, the first wind magic chain), Papalymo's stuff is great also, really every single 6* is amazing, the only real duds are Minfilias whatever and the usual LMR/11 for a person you have nothing on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

what the gently caress is scarletite

it’s like adamantite but yellow
I don’t know why it isn’t red when it’s called loving scarletite

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It’s by no means a bad banner - though Trancred is suspect and while Papalymo is a great fire mage, that’s the one element where being great still doesn’t put you anywhere near the top.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Beat my first Nightmare dungeon, Ultima. I know the OP says it’s a bad ability but hey, progress :3:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Fat Samurai posted:

Beat my first Nightmare dungeon, Ultima. I know the OP says it’s a bad ability but hey, progress :3:

Whoo grats! If it's any consolation a lot of the abilities are either "not good" or simply niche. The only three I really use regularly are Curada, Meltdown and Valigarmanda. Enjoy your victory!

Pulled on the realm banner for 8 - 1/11, Squall USB2. Can I retire BSB2 because this looks insane.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Indecisive posted:

Wind magic is relatively rare and alphinaud's new poo poo is by far the strongest wind mag stuff around (and, finally, the first wind magic chain), Papalymo's stuff is great also, really every single 6* is amazing, the only real duds are Minfilias whatever and the usual LMR/11 for a person you have nothing on.

Alphinaud is also a pretty good chain holder, certainly the most versatile wind one: WHT6 and Deployment Tactics would fit into a magic or physical team whereas some chain holders (Gilgamesh) are kind of poo poo when put on the "wrong" team.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

it’s like adamantite but yellow
I don’t know why it isn’t red when it’s called loving scarletite

For the same reason that Mythril, which is universally a metal, is a gem: Those in change of the names are crazy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

DeadButDelicious posted:

Pulled on the realm banner for 8 - 1/11, Squall USB2. Can I retire BSB2 because this looks insane.

I use them both to single-handedly sub30 Tiamat :unsmigghh:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ha ha ha, TGC AASB (+ AOSB.)

It's "only" a mishmash of his USB and OSB. With rank boost and infinite hones.

20+1 type AOSB. Popping one of those after the AASB would be absolutely sickening.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

It's the end of the month Tactics event! As noted, Orlandeau's Awakening is basically a mash-up of his OSB and USB entries.
Most new stuff's on banner 1, but Marche and Gaffgarion's new toys are on banner 2.

quote:

Orlandeau's Saintly Ragnarok [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Holy/Dark/NE critical physical attacks, Critical Chance +100%, Thunder God Mode, Thunder God Awakening Mode & Break Damage Cap Level 1 to user
Thunder God Mode: High Quick Cast
Thunder God Awakening Mode: Unlimited Knight or Darkness Hones, Knight or Darkness Ability Boost & Dualcast Knight or Darkness

Orlandeau's Masamune [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 20 single-target Holy/Dark physical attacks & single-target Holy/Dark Overflow physical attack
Ramza's Ancient Sword [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Holy Overflow physical attacks
Agrias's Sunblade [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Holy Overflow physical attacks

Ovelia's Bless Staff [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal to party, Instant Cast, Quick Cast & EX "Fated Princess" to user
EX "Fated Princess": MND +30% & chases White Magic abilities with 6 single-target Holy/NE white magic attacks
Ramza's Vigilante [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, En-Holy, High Quick Cast 1 & Blade of Light to user
Blade of Light: After using Holy abilities, High Quick Cast 1 & chases with 4 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks
Agrias's Save the Queen Divine [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 random Holy/NE physical attacks, Imperil Holy, Divine Purge to user
Divine Purge: Inflicts minor Imperil Holy after using 2 Knight abilities

Orlandeau's Mythril Helm [Glint, +10 ATK] - Critical Damage +50% & Instant Cast 1 to user, Instant Cast
Ramza's Mercenary Guise [Glint, +10 ATK] - En-Holy to user & 30% Stoneskin to party, Instant Cast
Ovelia's Silver Coat [Glint, +10 MND] - En-Holy to user & 2000 HP Stock to party, Instant Cast

Orlandeau's Moonblade [LMR, +10 ATK] - PHY Damage +20% with Sword equipped
Ovelia's Pure Staff [LMR, +10 MND] - MND +1% with each White Magic hit, up to 25%
Agrias's Carabineer Mail [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Holy for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Agrias's Jade Armlet [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Knight abilities

Banner 2 posted:

Gaffgarion's Deathbringer [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Dark Overflow physical attacks
Marche's Restorer [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Holy Overflow physical attacks

Ramza's Diamond Shield [CSB, +10 ATK] - Activates Holy Limit Chain (150) & 50% Holy Field, ATK +50% to party

Gaffgarion's Helm [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Dark physical attacks, En-Dark, 10% Dark Drain & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Darkness abilities
Level 0: Single-target Dark physical attack
Level 1~3: Single-target Dark Overflow physical attack

Delita's Armor [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy/Fire/Lightning/Ice physical attacks, Critical Chance +75%, Quick Cast & Hero-King's Blade to user
Hero-King's Blade: After exploiting weakness, chases with 4 single-target Holy/Fire/Lightning/Ice/NE physical attacks
Marche's Burglar Sword [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, En-Holy and EX "Speed Combo" to user
EX "Speed Combo": ATK +30% & High Quick Physical 1 to all front-row members after using Knight abilities
Alma's Dreamwaker [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal, 100% Dark Stoneskin & 2000 HP Stock to party, Instant Cast

Gaffgarion's Golden Axe [Glint, +10 ATK] - En-Dark, En-Dark Stack & High Quick Cast 2 to user, Instant Cast
Marche's Jack Knife [Glint, +10 ATK] - 2000 heal & Esuna to party, Instant Cast

Gaffgarion's Slasher [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Ramza's Platinum Armor [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Holy abilities
Delita's Golden Helm [LMR, +10 ATK] - Spellblade Damage +25% with Sword equipped
Gaffgarion's Power Garb [LMR, +10 ATK] - Once per battle when HP falls below 20%, auto 100% HP recovery and Quick Cast for 25 seconds
Marche's Bronze Helm [LMR, +10 ATK] - Knight Damage +25% with Sword equipped
Orlandeau's AASB, Ramza and Agrias's AOSBs and USB2s are all +Holy Swords. Orlandeau's AOSB is a +Dark Katana.
Gaffgarion's AOSB is a +Dark Sword, Marche's AOSB is a +Holy Sword, Gaffgarion's USB2 is a +Dark Helm.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sure glad I didn't get Orlandu's usb from select now. And guess I can give the next tactics event a skip as well. :allears:

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The other news coming out of Japan today is that the series draw banners (the ones that just came to global) are going to be renewed shortly, with updated pools and another 'first pull' discount for everyone. Reddit link

Something to try and budget for in April...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh hey, Quina lmr on the daily draw. Been a while since I got something relevant from it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
gently caress 4A I'm saving for that Orlandeau stuff. JFC

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think I just decided to skip the Dissidia Seph AASB event and wait for TGC's AASB. I'm still going hard for Bartz/Terra banner in 4A (seriously budgeting like 15 pulls).

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
TGC's awakening is "only" as insane as the rest of the good ones, poor guy. Orlandeau's relics aside not the strongest relics on that banner despite S E V E N D I S C O S. They did hamstring Rem with Machina too so maybe this will be a recurring theme.

Anyway. DarkHolykindaearth God Cid realizes that not everyone on the team can play support. Someone needs to man up and hurt the bad guy. Massive cast of holy men and women:

WoL is great damage

Firion has flavor holy
Pencil is a support
Ceadore is a support
Leo is a support
Celes has flavor holy
Steiner laughs in Tidus i guess he's a spellblade though

Beatrix is great damage

Basch is a support
Curilla is a support
Minfilia is a support
Horsefart is a support or something i don't know
Agrias is a support
Delita has flavor holy

Ramza is a support who got fed up with this poo poo and went damage (but has a support dive)
Marche is... kind of a support but actually damage

It really increases the value of pure damage dealers when majority of the relics you can pick up trade damage for utility partially or completely. Orlandeau is a tier above everyone else even with "just" usb and Marche can be used to push weak ultras like Agrias' to perform better.

Marche's relics should be on this banner.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

80% damage on D???, ran out of hones on Orly by 30s and the rest by 40s but squeezed a couple osb's out of him. Need some r4 sabers and 4* holy magicites I think to finish this up. (Orlando USB/OSB, Agrias USB2, Marche USB, Ramza chain, Ovelia USB)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Steiner laughs in Tidus i guess he's a spellblade though[/s]

Steiner is in a weird spot. His only relevant relic now and in the future will be his IX Realm Chain, and his Legend Dive is actually weirdly general with only a slight spellblade focus - his LM1 is physical damage and his LM2 Trance is boosting all elemental damage.

Between 6* Spellblade and Knight, he covers everything but dark, so he can work well with any subset of IX characters and their various elements, except Kuja. So he's perfectly fine as a knight support, it's just the only knight he'd want to work with is Beatrix.

And you forgot Angeal in your list :v:. One day he'll get a good dive and SB.